Kuldahar

load previous
Sep 17, 2018 8:17 pm
Erevain does not show any sign of weakness before Keggruk. He stands easily, gaze upright. When the orog finishes speaking, Erevain nods his head curtly. The Orcish language flows off his tongue easily, but he will likely never manage its true guttural intonation. "When Alalla said you might be capable of change, I hoped she was right. Now that I have met you, Keggruk, I can see that you are capable." The elf turns to look at the other orcs gathered. "I look at you and see something familiar to me. I wandered the world for centuries, unhappy. It was not until I met her," he holds a hand out to Alalla, "that I began to change. Join this new path with me, and put your hope and trust in Alalla and her allies."

Erevain turns to look at her, and Alalla feels the eyes of every orc in the camp on her once more.
Sep 17, 2018 8:29 pm
Orrick raises an eyebrow at Zenithral's spell. "You will find much magic here, archer." Indeed, most things in the study hum with some sort of magical aura. Scrolls, trinkets, and many of the books. The mage himself has a rather powerful aura, and Zenithral believes it comes from his robe.

Orrick steeples his fingers as he thinks. "You must mean 'geased'." He pronounces the word like 'guessed', but with a 'sh' sound. "A geas is a powerful enchantment on the mind that cripples free will. The recipient of spell is tasked with a specific behavior to fulfill or avoid, and if they do not obey they are subject to excruciating pain, or even death." He folds his hands into the sleeves of his robe. "If the killer was geased into assassinating the druid, completing the task would have been nearly impossible to resist."
Sep 17, 2018 11:51 pm
"We go shopping!"

After shopping around they pick up some leather armor and a burgler's pack. After that they head back to the temple and do more priesting.

In fact they priest a lot.

For several days.

Ugh, priesting is sooooo boring.

With Jermsy practicing with his new skills constantly, Fergy is left alone, with books.

With literally nothing else to do, Fergy's left with only one thing left to do. Books. Fergy sits down and reads.

Rolls

Arcana check with advantage - (1d20+5, 1d20+5)

1d20+5 : (2) + 5 = 7

1d20+5 : (20) + 5 = 25

Sep 18, 2018 12:00 am
Mercy, sharuhk.

She hadn't expected a speech. Especially one that put things even more squarely on her shoulders. Still... For all it makes her anxious, orc culture has left these people expecting a leader; perhaps even requiring one. Since she certainly doesn't want to tie herself to orcs who consider her words only a suggestion when she tells them things like, 'no pillaging,' she had better make herself clear.

"Only you are responsible for your change and growth," she says to the group, "but there are a lot of things stacked against you. Im here to help take those things down and show you the way, but I risk much in doing so. I won't do it without assurance from you. I'll try not to ask things that are too hard, but when I do ask, I expect to be obeyed absolutely.

You passed your first test, but there will be others harder than this. Keggruk has pledged himself to me already. Will the rest of you follow?"

Al summons her glaive to her hand and looks about the group. Orc chiefs win their place by blood. She hopes she will not have to do that this time, but there will be challengers in the future. She can't expect change overnight.

Alalla stares them all down, letting them see her strength and determination, daring them to challenge her.

Rolls

I mean business (intimidate) - (1d20+4, 1d20+4)

1d20+4 : (1) + 4 = 5

1d20+4 : (1) + 4 = 5

Sep 18, 2018 2:38 am
Fergy flips through the basic Ilmatari literature without much of anything sticking out to him. He finds one old, worn book, however, that is very interesting. It is a treatise on the Great Wheel and the cosmology of the multiverse - in terms so basic and inarticulate that Fergy finds himself wondering
if the author really knew anything about anything. Still, as he reads he finds himself piecing together some of the grander scope of things, his experience beyond the veil of mortality seeping through to fill in some of the blanks.
OOC:
Check out some neat stuff about the Blood War in the Lore thread. 500 XP to the party, so 86,150 XP total!
After that read, Fergy discovers a stack of letters...

The first letter:

To our brothers and sisters in Kuldahar, we send word that a most esteemed priest of our order will be passing through. Give him whatever aid he requires, for Revered Brother Poquelin is one most blessed by Ilmater.

- Brother Perdiem

The second letter:

In answer to your concerns, I say that sometimes the greatest sacrifice is to go forward in ignorance, trusting those who know better to lead us by the hand towards greater enlightenment. Stay strong to what Revered Brother Poquelin has taught us.

- Brother Perdiem

The third letter:

Brother Gus,

As one of great wisdom yourself, Revered Brother Poquelin has decided to gift you with this statue. Keep it close by, and you will receive greater instruction when the time comes.

- Brother Perdiem

Something about the mention of that statue itches at Fergy's attention. Something heavy had been used to kill Brother Ferg. Could that have been the statue? If it had been used as a weapon, perhaps pieces of it might have come loose in the struggle.

Searching the temple again, using his magical senses to guide him, Fergy locates a small chip of stone under a pew, blood staining its edge. Though it is but a sliver, Fergy immediately feels something assault his willpower. With something as volatile as this, perhaps it would be better not to touch it.
Sep 18, 2018 5:46 am
Out of sight from Aldwin, Ug collects the valuables and ring from Fergy and company. With the loot in hand, Ug returns to the inn, trying to draw attention once he arrives. With othe patrons watching, Ug confronts the portly halfling. "Ug believes these are inn keeper’s, He says, promptly returning Aldwin possessions. "But Ug believes this is not." Ug holds up the ring for all to see and reads the inscription.
Sep 18, 2018 5:56 am
After waking up on the floor of the tavern with a Goliath sized headache, Ug heads towards the wizard tower hoping to either find Dok, or perhaps enlisting the goblin’s old master for help. Either way, he was determined to drink the Hunters Bane. Dangerous though it was, Ug would not fail his friends again. He had to become something more. And, realizes, if Mirek and others wished to make the same choice as him, Ug wouldn’t stop them.
Sep 18, 2018 10:55 am
Knowing mage hand can't be used to activate magical items, Fergy uses it to pick up the shard. Fergy hunts around and finds an old vial from a health potion. Rinsing it out he slips the shard into the vial and restoppers it. Tucking it safely away in his backpack, Fergy goes and interrupts Jermsy's dagger throwing practice.

"Hey Jermsy, do you remember a statue that Brother Gus received just before he left?"
Sep 18, 2018 2:03 pm
"Tortured? Impossible to resist?" Zenithral repeats to himself. "...so while that doesn't mean the assassin was a good man, by any means, it would indicate he didn't commit the murder of his accord...If I were to meet the assassin, would it be prudent to speak of it him, or do you think that would be ill-advised?" After Orrick's response, he continues with one last query.

"I've been asked to meet someone at a city." Using prestidigitation, Zenithral produces the small illusory diorama Erestor showed him in his dream, a city with five towers stretching upwards like fingers. "He says it was once known as the Hand of the Seldarine, and that it has bloodline-based defenses. Do you know anything of this city that might be useful for my companions and I to know?"
Sep 18, 2018 3:48 pm
"They will not." Alalla knows that voice. Eyes turn to the ridge above, where an armored figure stands, a serrated axe in each hand. An orc of enormous proportions, larger even than Keggruk, his eyes burn with a fierce red glow from beneath his helmet.

He leaps down to land in the snow before Alalla, where he rises above her height by nearly two feet. "You think you can lead them to a better way, Daughter? How can you, when you are even more lost than they?"

Alalla's mind reels as she considers this orc. He does not look exactly like the deific creature she saw briefly when she'd died, but those eyes... and that voice...

"I have let you run free for too long. It is time you learned your place. And these will all bear witness that none will escape me!"

Alalla has just a moment to see that the rest of the camp, including Keggruk and Erevain, seem to be frozen in place. And then the orc is upon her, swinging furiously with his two axes.
OOC:
Roll initiative!
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/c0/ea/d2/c0ead2a27f6530d6b33cd8457cca258b.jpg

Rolls

Avatar initiative (adv) - (1d20, 1d20)

1d20 : (5) = 5

1d20 : (4) = 4

Sep 18, 2018 3:52 pm
OOC:
Bumping Ug and aldwin to black
Aldwin greedily snatches back his valuables, but when he sees the ring his face pales. While Ug is reading the inscription he sidles over to the money box and starts stuffing his pockets with gold. When Ug is done, the halfling tries to scurry for the door!
Sep 18, 2018 3:53 pm
Alalla grips her glaive and breathes hard, forcing her mind to ground itself, forcing her stomach to still itself. Calm, cool, controlled.

She ought to make some sort of quip or retort, but her throat is too dry. Besides, her opponents usually find it more unnerving when she says nothing.

Alalla charges, striking hard. It's a solid hit, and she laughs. She could be sent back to Nishrek today, devastating all those who are watching, but if she wins...

She puts all she has into her strikes, her golden glaive flashing against the giant orc more times than should be possible.

Avatar of Gruumsh takes 84 damage. He must make 1 wisdom save or be afraid of Al and 2 strength saves or be knocked prone.

HP: 115/115
AC: 19
Last edited September 19, 2018 1:06 am

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+1)

(3) + 1 = 4

Inspiration reroll - (1d20+1)

(12) + 1 = 13

Attack 1 - (1d20+9)

(15) + 9 = 24

Damage 1 - (2d10+5)

(52) + 5 = 12

Damage reroll - (1d10+10)

(1) + 10 = 11

Attack 2 - (1d20+9)

(14) + 9 = 23

Attack 3 - (1d20+9)

(10) + 9 = 19

Damage 2 - (2d10+5)

(85) + 5 = 18

Damage 3 - (2d10+5)

(87) + 5 = 20

Attack 4 - (1d20+9)

(15) + 9 = 24

Attack 5 - (1d20+9)

(13) + 9 = 22

Attack 6 - (1d20+9)

(8) + 9 = 17

Damage 4,5,6 - (3d10+15)

(857) + 15 = 35

Sep 18, 2018 3:56 pm
Jermsy shrugs. "He kept a statue by his bed. He told me not to ever touch it! I thought it might be a teddy bear, but it didn't look very cuddly, since it was made of rock." He looks around the temple. "I don't see it now though."
Sep 18, 2018 4:26 pm
Orrick waves a hand dismissively. "For the killer to have managed slaying Arundel, he must have been competent. Whether he was magically compelled to or not, he sounds like a dangerous individual. I would steer clear of him entirely."

When Zenithral shows the image of the city, Orrick immediately leans forward with eager interest. "Where did you see that? You must tell me! I have been searching for it for decades! I know nothing of any bloodline defenses, but if indeed there is a mythal in place, it could have very intricate and powerful wards protecting it. Elven High Magic is all but a lost art, one from which I hope to learn much."
Sep 18, 2018 4:40 pm
The orc staggers under the rain of Alalla's blows, but when her momentum plays out he is still standing. With a roar of rage he takes a humongous swipe at her, but she easily steps away from the wide blow and watches as one of his axes cuts his own flesh. Instead of pulling back, however, the orc continues its assault.

Alalla parries one axe and spins away from the other, but is unprepared for the butt of the orc's helmeted head. Reeling from the hit, she tries to get her bearings when suddenly her vision turns white.

What happened?

She stumbles away as her sight clears, and she blearily sees the orc raise his axes to the sky, one of them dripping blood. Her blood.

Then the pain hits. A searing line of agony rips across her face. She feels blood drip down her face and she sways, watching tears of red melt the snow at her feet. "Yes. You are mine, Daughter." Something is wrong with her vision. The orc steps closer to her, but she feels dizzy. "I claim you. I will never let you be free." She tries to blink the blood away, but... pain. "I mark you as mine!"

She notices then that the glow from beneath his helmet is not from his eyes, but from one single eye.

As his laughter pierces her heart and mind, she realizes the truth. Gruumsh has, indeed, left his mark on her. One of her own eyes is gone.
OOC:
Al takes 99 damage and loses an eye. She must also make a DC 14 Constitution save or be stunned.
[ +- ] Lose an Eye
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/3e/59/a9/3e59a9d49348ffd3bce33eb73aa4e98c.jpg

Rolls

Avatar str save (2 saves) - (1d20+9, 1d20+9)

1d20+9 : (17) + 9 = 26

1d20+9 : (12) + 9 = 21

Avatar vs Al (3 attacks) - (1d20+11, 1d20+11, 1d20+11)

1d20+11 : (1) + 11 = 12

1d20+11 : (7) + 11 = 18

1d20+11 : (20) + 11 = 31

Dmg to Al - (6d10+60)

(9610581) + 60 = 99

(86) = 86

Dmg to self - (1d10+5)

(9) + 5 = 14

Sep 18, 2018 5:23 pm
Zenithral considers whether to tell Orrick more. He seemed to be a trusted member of Kuldihar. Dok certainly seemed to. With this much interest, perhaps he could even offer direct assistance. "That's the tricky part. The assassin and I have a bit of a history. He spoke to me in a dream using a spell, requesting my help. He showed me this image just as I show you now, so it could be just a falsehood."

He changes the tiny illusion to the map. "Here is the location he gave me. It may very well just be a trap. For instance, it could be a ruse to get me to talk to you for more information and lure one or both of us there only to be captured or killed. The enemy is quite cunning. I don't really have any other options, however, so my companions Alalla, and Erevain will be traveling with me there regardless. I was hoping to recruit Dok's aid as well."
Last edited September 18, 2018 5:25 pm
Sep 18, 2018 10:01 pm
Avatar of Gruumsh takes lethal damage. Al uses second wind to gain 15 hp.

HP: 31/115
Last edited September 18, 2018 10:16 pm

Rolls

Riposte - (1d20+9)

(9) + 9 = 18

Con save - (1d20+9)

(14) + 9 = 23

Attack 1 - (1d20+9)

(6) + 9 = 15

Attack 2 - (1d20+9)

(5) + 9 = 14

Attack 3 - (1d20+9)

(14) + 9 = 23

Attack 2 inspiration reroll - (1d20+9)

(3) + 9 = 12

Strain - (1d100)

(61) = 61

Sprained ankle rounds - (1d4)

(4) = 4

Damage - (4d10+10)

(9834) + 10 = 34

Second wind - (1d10+11)

(4) + 11 = 15

Sep 18, 2018 10:44 pm
Orrick stands and shoves the books off of his table, moving so he can see. "There! I knew it had to be around someplace. Yes... Well. Trap or not, this place must be investigated. So many answers!"

He straightens his robes. "I will not say what the goblin may or may not do. It would ruin that particular study. But if he has followed you this far, he is likely to continue to do so."

Orrick moves away, stuffing scrolls and pouches into his pockets. "Now. Time to go. Best of luck to you." He snaps his fingers and Zenithral is suddenly standing outside, just in front of the tower entrance.
Sep 18, 2018 11:01 pm
Ug dives at the fat little thief, easily wrapping him up once again in a Goliath grip. The little guy squirms, gold pieces falling out of his pockets and scattering across the floor. Ug calls for the villagers around to grab halla and Natalie
Last edited September 18, 2018 11:04 pm

Rolls

Arhletics - (1d20+7)

(9) + 7 = 16

Athletics - (1d20+7)

(13) + 7 = 20

Sep 18, 2018 11:40 pm
Alalla can't withhold a gasp at the burning pain, but she clenches her teeth and refuses to acknowledge it further. Seething anger rises up from her gut, offering to erase the pain with rage.

Calm, calm.

She has lost her hold on herself too often lately. She won't do it now.

Al throws her body into her attacks, but her mind is calm and cool. It has to be. She has to show these orcs that they can be better than their anger. Besides, as she faces Gruumsh, she can feel a seed of Bilewing's cowardice inside her dragon heart threatening to bloom should she release her emotions. It is better to feel nothing at all.

One hit skids off his armour but the other lands between the plates at his shoulder and Al heaves, bringing the monster to his knees.

"You won't let me?" Her anger manages to find some voice after all, though it feels as though her mouth is moving on its own. "I don't remember asking your permission."

Another strike forces the blade of her glaive beneath the massive helmet where it meets Gruumsh's throat, ending the life of his avatar.

As the giant orc bleeds into the snow, Alalla's mind scrambles to process the event. She wishes now she had kept quiet, thinking on how her words had only served to make her sound like the rebellious daughter Gruumsh claimed her to be. And her eye...

She begins to raise a gauntleted hand to her face but hesitates as a thick beginnings of a sob rise up in her throat. Al swallows and lets her hand fall.

Not here, not now.

Alalla pulls her scarf from her hair and ties it around her wounded eye. Face bandaged, she turns to look at Erevain, making sure he is alright. Satisfied, she then moves her gaze around the camp.

Calm, calm.

"Well?" Her voice is as strong as she can manage. Hopefully the others will not find weakness in it. "I remember asking a question."
Last edited September 21, 2018 6:47 pm
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.