Kuldahar

load previous
Sep 20, 2018 2:04 am
Zenithral approaches Halla. "There you are! If you have a moment, I've found something you may be interested in." He leans in conspiratorially and lowers his voice. "I now know where Erestor is." Zenithral watches her reaction, expecting her to show anger and determination followed by a comment about departing immediately.
Last edited September 20, 2018 2:05 am
Sep 20, 2018 2:11 am
The tavern erupts in cheers when Ug enters. "Have you got it, man?" Mirek asks, eyes wide. When Ug shows the bottle all the men whisper in awe. For all their enthusiasm, Ug can see a dark determination in their eyes. These men have seen some things themselves, and are desperate for something to give them strength to fight back.

As Ug takes the first sip, he knows he is surrounded by true brothers.

The juice sizzles on the way down, and Ug feels a burning itch in every vein as the internal scars from Poquelin's poison flare up in response to the demon spider's blood. The influences of Tanar'ri and Baatezu war within the goliath, and mighty Ug gasps as his body becomes a battleground. But deep down in his gut he feels a power bloom. His senses become sharper, and his blood courses with eldritch magic. All at once the burning stops and is replaced by chilling ice. As the other tavern patrons watch, Ug's eyes begin to glow with a frosty pale light.

His blood settles and his eyes dim, but Ug knows that he will never be the same.
Sep 20, 2018 2:16 am
Whitcomb continues to pass out drinks as the patrons watch Ug. As Ug finishes his sip, the barbarian realizes that there is something strange about the bartender. Had he really never noticed the man's stink? Something noxious, like sulfur or brimstone, or something foul. Whitcomb meets Ug's eyes... and winces.

Whitcomb is not what he seems, and he knows that Ug knows.
Sep 20, 2018 2:30 am
Ug tries to maintain eye contacted with the bartender, trying to see if his new senses detect any threat from the man. Is he merely hiding something, or is he an immediate danger?
Last edited September 20, 2018 2:33 am

Rolls

Survival (is whitcomb a threat) - (1d20+4)

(12) + 4 = 16

Sep 20, 2018 2:46 am
Whitcomb - whatever he is... some sort of fiend? - doesn't seem particularly threatening at the moment. Under Ug's scrutiny, the barkeep just rolls his shoulders in a helpless shrug, as if to say, Well, you caught me. What are you going to do about it? Whitcomb starts to pour another drink.

Hello? You in there, Ug? I asked, 'what are you going to do about it?' It's me. Whitcomb. Kind of. I'd appreciate you not telling these guys... Ug realizes that he actually is hearing Whitcomb's voice in his head.
Sep 20, 2018 2:48 am
Mirek, oblivious to the telepathic exchange, licks his lips, then holds out his hand expectantly. "Me next!"
Sep 20, 2018 2:56 am
Halla does not look happy to see Zenithral, but it's hard to say if that is due to anger or shame. When Zenithral mentions Erestor, however...

"Where is he?" Her eyes are definitely showing anger now, at least. She looks ready to chew someone to pieces.
Sep 20, 2018 4:57 pm
"A hidden elven city, once known as the Hand of the Seldarine." he tells Halla. "He contacted me in a dream using a spell recently, requesting my help. I figured it would be the perfect opportunity to put a stop to him. Alalla and Erevain have already agreed to come. It could be a trap of the enemy, but it's still the best lead we have. Will you join us?"
Last edited September 20, 2018 4:57 pm
Sep 20, 2018 5:35 pm
Ug holds up a hand to Mirek acting as if he is still waiting for the effects to settle. Ug will do nothing, whitcomb has been good friend and brother. Nessa is also good friend and different from others. Ug cracks his neck and rolls his shoulders, icy mist dispelling around him. Mirek. But what will other friends do? Ug gives a small head nod towards Merik.
Last edited September 20, 2018 5:37 pm
Sep 20, 2018 9:09 pm
"Join you? Not this time. 'Tis something I will handle on my own." Her eyes flash, and a moment later she is a giant raven, winging her way out of town.
Sep 20, 2018 9:14 pm
A hard smile passes Whitcomb's lips, but he continues to focus on filling drinks. Hardly a 'good' friend. You never knew the real Whitcomb. If these men gain your same heightened senses, I'll probably have to kill them. Unless you convince them to leave me alone...
Sep 20, 2018 9:41 pm
Zenithral is mildly shocked by Halla's response. He casts message. "Alone? Halla, Erestor is quite skilled. Why do yourself when you have allies? Do you even know where the city is?"

Rolls

Persuasion - (1d20+6)

(7) + 6 = 13

Sep 20, 2018 9:52 pm
If you kill friends, Ug will kill you. Ug thinks without hesitation, locking his icy eyes on the fiend. So Ug will try hard not to have friends kill each other. You have not hurt any since Ug has been here. Also, we currently fight devil from the nine hells, Ug thinks whitcomb would like to help us.
Sep 20, 2018 10:02 pm
Whitcomb laughs, slapping a patron on the back. And how do you know that devil didn't plan to me here? He makes eye contact with Ug, and the goliath thinks he can see something burn deeply within the barkeep's eyes. Well. I mean no harm to you and yours. Just keep them from giving away my secret or trying to kill me, and we can all go on with our happy lives.
Sep 20, 2018 10:04 pm
Halla does not respond. Zenithral gets the feeling that she does not want any help.
Sep 20, 2018 10:05 pm
If you are with that devil he is known to keep his promises. Ug has also fought him once and survived. Ug agrees to deal.

Ug gives a respectful nod and looks to Mirek. "Ug will only give to friends who promise to obey Ug. Potion is dangerous and Ug will not give if friends do not make promise.
Last edited September 20, 2018 10:11 pm
Sep 20, 2018 10:53 pm
Not all the men in the tavern agree. Some of them pull back from the bottle, afraid of the risk. There are a handful who come forward, however, Mirek and Kaleel among them. One by one they promise to listen to Ug, and take a sip of the potion. Each one trembles as the magic takes hold, but none of them seem to have been affected as strongly as Ug - and when the tremors pass they do not look askance at Whitcomb.

The bartender watches the ordeal with a raised eyebrow, but seems content to keep taking coin and serving drinks.

When the glow fades from the eyes of the last to drink, there are a full dozen men who have taken the draught. They smile and nod as their companions cheer them on, but Ug can tell these men have changed. Hopefully it will be for the good of them and their loved ones.

As Ug leaves for the night, Whitcomb gives him a nod and a small wave, then goes back to polishing his mugs.
Sep 20, 2018 11:01 pm
As the crowd disperses Al looks for her chane to slip into the inn, but notices Halla wheeling away. With a curse she approaches Zenithral.

"That wasn't about Erestor, was it?" Al asks, checking the placement of her hood once more. She doesn't face him directly and instead looks towards Halla's disappearing shape, hoping that it will prevent Zenithral from seeing the left side of her face.
Last edited September 20, 2018 11:03 pm
Sep 20, 2018 11:10 pm
Zenithral sighs. "Well, yes, it was. She doesn't want to go with us; she wants to do it herself. The woman's going to get herself killed and my father will know I've told others. If she knows where this secret city is by happenstance all on her own, it's even more likely the enemy is directly involved. Or she's been stalking me...which seems less likely...Er, speaking of which, why the hood? Trying to hide from someone? Or did something ruin your makeup? Surely you know you don't look that bad without it on, don't you?"
Last edited September 20, 2018 11:13 pm
Sep 20, 2018 11:48 pm
Al curses heavily. "We need to leave as soon as we can. Maybe we can keep her from being another corpse at Erestor's feet." She sighs at Zenithral's comments about her hood.

You thought you could do anything subtly?

"Why is it that when things happen, they happen all at once?" Alalla turns and looks Zenithral in the eye. A long scar crosses her eyebrow and cheek, forking and splitting like lightning or a web. The socket is an empty, angry red. "I ran into Gruumsh on my outing. He gave me a present." She stuffs her free hand in the pocket of her cloak and grinds her glaive into the ground.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.