Tarot Deck Option

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Oct 17, 2018 4:11 pm
How difficult would it be to add a Tarot deck to the card dealer tool? I was thinking that would be an interesting addition to the magic system of a game I'm planning. There wouldn't necessarily need to be any card graphics, just the name and value if present would be enough, but you can also grab the art of the Rider-Waite Tarot Deck which is public domain.

The standard tarot deck has 78 cards, divided in two parts:

56 Minor Arcana composed of four suits, swords, wands, pentacles and cups. Each suit has 14 cards, ace through 10, page, knight, queen, and king.

22 Major Arcana composed of: The Fool, The Magician, The High Priestess, The Empress, The Emperor, The Hierophant, The Lovers, The Chariot, Strength, The Hermit, Wheel of Fortune, Justice, The Hanged Man, Death, Temperance, The Devil, The Tower, The Star, The Moon, The Sun, Judgement, The World.
Oct 17, 2018 4:22 pm
I can certainly add this as a feature request for the future, but right now I'm focusing on fixing bugs as they come up and the site redesign. It's unfortunately too much work to take on at the same time.
Oct 17, 2018 5:31 pm
Awesome, thank you.
Oct 17, 2018 9:52 pm
Occasionally, tarot floppers might also want the cards to be flipped either inverted or right side up.
Oct 18, 2018 9:34 am
Curse of Strahd just got a lot more tempting...
Oct 18, 2018 11:10 am
DarK_RaideR says:
Curse of Strahd just got a lot more tempting...
The 3.5 version of this campaign had the option to use the Tree Dragons Ante card game for the tarot card reading which was pretty nice... Of course, I don't expect Keleth to implement that... XD
Mar 23, 2021 1:35 pm
I would like to relight this interest. The system I am currently akin to runs on tarot cards- Chronicles of the Outlands.
Mar 24, 2021 4:12 pm
If I can get some HQ images setup for this, putting it together should be pretty easy. it's actually the images that would be the hardest part, specially at the size GP uses and the fact that I know nothing about tarot :p
Mar 24, 2021 4:49 pm
Rider-Waite, the premier tarot deck in most circles, is public domain. So that should not be a problem.

The size of the cards, I admit, would be small if the regular playing card deck is any indication.

This big?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/9/90/RWS_Tarot_00_Fool.jpg/343px-RWS_Tarot_00_Fool.jpg

But if it helps I know a lot about the tarot. But next to nothing about coding and the like. So I hope I can be of some help.

Let me know what you need.
Last edited March 24, 2021 4:52 pm
Mar 24, 2021 5:01 pm
Echo support for Rider-Waite. A lot of feels use custom cards, with different meanings (I backed a Kickstarter and got D&D themed tarot). But the classic is the most useful.
Mar 24, 2021 5:26 pm
Qralloq says:
Echo support for Rider-Waite. A lot of feels use custom cards, with different meanings (I backed a Kickstarter and got D&D themed tarot). But the classic is the most useful.
I would be curious to see that deck.
Mar 24, 2021 6:23 pm
Valdus says:

I would be curious to see that deck.
Not that it should be used on.GP, but:Adventurers Tarot
Mar 24, 2021 6:57 pm
I've used this site to generate tarot cards and do tarot readings for PCs. And I know there are lots of other sites out there that do the same thing...

In the scope of functionality I'd like to see prioritized for GP, tho? This would be very low, unless it's very easy to do.
Last edited March 24, 2021 6:57 pm
Mar 24, 2021 7:01 pm
Keleth says:
...it's actually the images that would be the hardest part, specially at the size GP uses and the fact that I know nothing about tarot :p
To throw in a wrinkle, it's important that cards be able to be flipped either right side up and/or upside down...
Mar 24, 2021 7:28 pm
emsquared says:
Keleth says:
...it's actually the images that would be the hardest part, specially at the size GP uses and the fact that I know nothing about tarot :p
To throw in a wrinkle, it's important that cards be able to be flipped either right side up and/or upside down...
... thaaaaat actually depends on the technique you are using. I dabbled in the craft some 20 years ago.
OOC:
20?! Damn I'm old
Mar 24, 2021 7:36 pm
As a temporary option: If you have an index of the cards posted in a reference thread of your game (ie. 1-14 = wands, 15-28 = cups, 29-42 = swords, 41-56 = pentacles, ...) Then you can use the dice roller. 1d78 (which card) + 1d2 (orientation). Then just edit the image of the card(s) into the post after for easy reference.
Mar 24, 2021 7:41 pm
Don't give me any more excuses to go play Binding of Isaac again, I've already re-purchased it a couple times. And then they went and made another expansion for it...

A tarot deck would be pretty sweet, there are a lot of creative options for various games that use it.
Last edited March 24, 2021 7:42 pm
Mar 24, 2021 7:46 pm
That does sound like a solution but the problem with d78 is that the deck is diminished as you pick a card.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.