Tarot Deck Option

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

load previous
Mar 24, 2021 7:57 pm
runekyndig says:
emsquared says:
Keleth says:
...it's actually the images that would be the hardest part, specially at the size GP uses and the fact that I know nothing about tarot :p
To throw in a wrinkle, it's important that cards be able to be flipped either right side up and/or upside down...
... thaaaaat actually depends on the technique you are using. I dabbled in the craft some 20 years ago.
OOC:
20?! Damn I'm old
Great, so, the point remains that the deck should have the functionality.
Mar 24, 2021 8:03 pm
Valdus says:
That does sound like a solution but the problem with d78 is that the deck is diminished as you pick a card.
If you're just picking a handful of cards before resetting, then the following convention would work: pick the next highest card if one is already drawn.

If you are going through the entire deck before resetting, then it's probably not a good option. You could decrease the roll each time (d78, d77, d76, etc), but you'd need to update the deck index frequently else it will get confusing pretty quickly.
Mar 24, 2021 8:05 pm
Chalrytharendir says:
Valdus says:
That does sound like a solution but the problem with d78 is that the deck is diminished as you pick a card.
If you're just picking a handful of cards before resetting, then the following convention would work: pick the next highest card if one is already drawn.

If you are going through the entire deck before resetting, then it's probably not a good option. You could decrease the roll each time (d78, d77, d76, etc), but you'd need to update the deck index frequently else it will get confusing pretty quickly.
Agreed, it's definitely a workaround. You could have an excel spreadsheet with the cards, moving them from column A to column B when they're used and subtracting a number from the d78.
Mar 24, 2021 10:59 pm
So I can use the deck Runekyndig posted (https://blog.goo.ne.jp/valet_de_coupe/e/cb9361a10db2c819ee498cf250f66813/?img=6cf5c9e139a36cb06a5cdd5a7505afde], and shrink them down in size. However, are they readable at the size they show up on that page? That's approximately how big they'd be in posts. Also, not all of them have labels, so I'd need help labeling them.

Basically, it's those 78 cards + their upside down versions? Once you draw a card in a given draw, you can't draw it again until the deck is reset?
Mar 24, 2021 11:08 pm
That's right, K. Maybe two decks. One of 78 all right side up, and a second deck also with the upside down versions. (Like you have with and without jokers for regular cards.) But the hitch would be that if a card is drawn, two would be removed from the second deck (both the right side and upside down version).
Mar 24, 2021 11:34 pm
Yes, and then we also need the option to shuffle.

The major arcana (the first set of cards) are labeled 0-21.
The court cards are labeled.
The other cards are semi-labeled roman numerals on the top, and the set is labeled on that card.

IE three of wands...
http://blogimg.goo.ne.jp/user_image/04/50/845f8a9fb7bfdd864a8e5dd37a328f63.jpg

OMG that is big!

For those looking for more info on the Tarot
Last edited March 24, 2021 11:36 pm
Mar 25, 2021 2:25 am
Ah, yah, I neglected that when drawn, two cards have to be removed from the reversed version. This may not be super easy. Doing the all right side up version is easy, but with the inverse not as much...
Mar 25, 2021 2:31 am
If you have the upright version, then people can just roll a 1d2 at the same time to assess it's orientation.
Mar 25, 2021 2:35 am
Or maybe it's an additional optional label, rather than a separate card?
Mar 25, 2021 3:00 am
I can easily do the upright version, leaving players/GMs to determine orientation. The way the code exists now, I can't just add a second label. I'm thinking of how I can easily do this in the current version of the site (as folks may have seen, I'm happy to add small, quick features on the v1, while I took at bigger features in the v2), but I'm not sure the reversed version can be done at this time.
Mar 25, 2021 3:01 am
The separate d2 option is a simple work around. Thanks for looking at this!
Mar 26, 2021 1:28 pm
quick fix for discord? Nice deck.

Simple Tarot

You do not have permission to post in this thread.