Character Creation

load previous
Nov 3, 2015 1:04 am
Naatkinson says:
As a wild magic sorcerer, go ahead and roll your d20 for wild magic surges every time you cast a spell of level 1 or higher. There is never a time when I will let that go without a roll.
That'll be awesome! :-)

I'm thinking of going with a Dwarven Barbarian - something to pound on the stinking drow!
Nov 3, 2015 1:08 am
If you go dwarf barbarian you have the option of being a battlerager!
Nov 3, 2015 1:32 am
Naatkinson says:
If you go dwarf barbarian you have the option of being a battlerager!
Do I get Pwent's cool armor as well then? :-)

Are the battlerager's described in the SCAG? (Should be getting that later this week)
Nov 3, 2015 1:43 am
You do get the ability to use the armor actually. They are in SCAG, yep.

Battlerager Armor
When you choose this path at 3rd level, you gain the ability to use spiked armor as a weapon.

While you are wearing spiked armor and are raging, you can use a bonus action to make one melee weapon attack with your armor spikes against a target within 5 feet of you. If the attack hits, the spikes deal 1d4 piercing damage. You use your Strength modifier for the attack and damage rolls.

Additionally, when you use the Attack action to grapple a creature, the target takes 3 piercing damage if the grapple check succeeds.

Reckless Abandon
Beginning at 6th level, when you use Reckless Attack while raging, you also gain temporary hit points equal to your constitution modifier. They vanish if any of them are left when your rage ends.

Battlerager Charge
Beginning at 10th level, you can take the Dash action as a bonus action while you are raging

Spiked Retribution
Starting at 14th level, when a creature within 5 feet of you hits you with a melee attack, the attacker takes 3 piercing damage if you are raging, aren't incapacitated, and are wearing spiked armor.

Stats for Spiked Armor
Cost: 75 GP
AC: 14 + Dex Mod (Max 2)
Stealth: Disadvantage
Weight: 45 lbs
Nov 3, 2015 2:01 am
Cool! Looks like I don't have to make a decision until I hit third level so I'll have to give it some thought. Would be neat to be a gutbuster though! :-)
Nov 3, 2015 2:01 am
Not sure yet want I want to play. Let's see the stats first. As a prisoner of the drow, are drow PC's off limits?

Rolled Stats: 15, 12, 13, 15, 11, 12
Last edited November 3, 2015 6:35 am

Rolls

stat rolls - (4d6, 4d6, 4d6, 4d6, 4d6, 4d6, 4d6)

4d6 : (6354) = 18

4d6 : (3263) = 14

4d6 : (6343) = 16

4d6 : (4265) = 17

4d6 : (2542) = 13

4d6 : (6142) = 13

4d6 : (6132) = 12

prison time - (1d10)

(5) = 5

Scavenging - (1d20)

(15) = 15

Nov 3, 2015 2:07 am
Drow are a totally legit choice

Wow! Another fantastic set of rolls!
Nov 3, 2015 2:21 am
Tracking his latest kill the sturdy dwarf pauses to catch his breath and pulls his necklace from under his heavy winter clothing. A huge claw hangs at the end of the chain; a token of his first kill when he was a youngster. "No time fer dawdling!" he mumbles as he slips the necklace around his long pitch black beard - neatly braided in four distinct braids - and back under his clothing.

Grabbing Frick, his trusty hand axe, he picks up the wounded animal's trail and continues on. He's close. He can sense it. Working his way around a large boulder he nearly drops Frick to the ground at the unexpected sight. Drow!! Before he can even react he hears the clicking of hand crossbows and a magical darkness envelopes him.
Nov 3, 2015 2:49 am
What Dwarven citadel is Elfog from?
Nov 3, 2015 3:26 am
Citadel Felbarr although most of Clan Oakshoulder makes their living hunting mountain wildlife in the region.
Nov 3, 2015 4:18 am
Given the classes people are going for, we're missing a divine/healer and a skirmisher/scout. Not sure which way to go.
Nov 3, 2015 4:20 am
Well, a Healer isn't strictly necessary in this edition, just go ahead and play what you think would be the most fun
Nov 3, 2015 4:46 am
So unless there are more classes available outside the PHB, I think I may fall back on my usual style and go for a Halfling or Gnome Rogue. Bah, archtypes...
Nov 3, 2015 6:05 am
Well, if you want to be the stealth character without being the Rogue you can pick basically any class and take a background that grants proficiency in stealth.
Nov 3, 2015 8:58 am
I'm generally of the opinion that players play what they want. While it's nice to have that even spread of skills, I dislike forcing people to pigeonhole themselves into roles they're not comfortable with, or want to break out of.
Nov 3, 2015 1:41 pm
CancerMan says:
I'm generally of the opinion that players play what they want. While it's nice to have that even spread of skills, I dislike forcing people to pigeonhole themselves into roles they're not comfortable with, or want to break out of.
So much this ^^^
Naatkinson sent a note to jabes.plays.rpg
Nov 3, 2015 2:19 pm
Can't decide what to play. Thinking drow because when the hell else will I get to play one? (the sunlight sensitivity is a bit of a dealbreaker for me). Not a Drizzt clone. Favored Soul, maybe? Disgraced because she is favored by someone other than Lolth? Hmmm. Or a simple, soldier drone male. Easily discarded. Bound for the drider pit!

Evil characters: Yes, or no?

Jabes.plays.RPG sent a note to Naatkinson
Nov 3, 2015 2:33 pm
Evil characters are allowed

This article has options for underdark themed character options if you want to look about.
Nov 3, 2015 4:24 pm
Some interesting options there. Now would you allow UA Variant Ranger as the base class, and at 3rd level, instead of taking one of those Spirit Animal paths, I'd pick the Deep Stalker archetype? :-)
Nov 3, 2015 4:30 pm
The UA ranger is kinda tricky here, simply because it only goes to level 5, and this adventure goes all the way to level 15. I'm not sure what we'd do after level 5, or how it would work with the bonus spells from Deep Stalker.

Another thing I'd allow is the Witch Hunter class that was homebrewed by Matt Mercer of Critical Role.

Thoughts as to any of that? Input from anybody is welcome :)
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.