Character Creation

Nov 2, 2015 7:04 pm
Discuss character concepts here, ask questions and make your rolls.

4d6 drop lowest, roll it 7 times and keep the highest 6 results. Anything from the PHB, DMG, EE, or SCAG allowed. If you want something from UA, just ask :)

If you have interest in anything from SCAG, let me know and I will give you a rundown

Also: Roll 1d10 to determine how long you've been a prisoner, and then roll 1d20 to determine if you've scavenged anything in your time there.
Nov 2, 2015 7:23 pm
I haven't played 5e yet, so excuse me while I fumble around. Typically, I go for a Rogue or Ranger (in older editions), or falling back on Cleric to support the party, but I have access to some of the books, so I'll peruse through to see what's interesting. I figure I should try something different, something I don't normally play, so the idea of playing something aggressively martial or arcane really appeals.
Nov 2, 2015 7:42 pm
I'm thinking Druid since I haven't played that yet but will make final call after I see the numbers...

Wow these are by far my worst stat rolls!
Last edited November 2, 2015 7:42 pm

Rolls

Scavenger? - (1d20)

(1) = 1

Stats - (4d6)

(2563) = 16

Stats - (4d6)

(2141) = 8

Stats - (4d6)

(1341) = 9

Stats - (4d6)

(1622) = 11

Stats - (4d6)

(4211) = 8

Stats - (4d6)

(2511) = 9

Stats - (4d6)

(5244) = 15

How long have I been a prisoner? - (1d10)

(2) = 2

Nov 2, 2015 7:46 pm
Moofsalot says:
I'm thinking Druid since I haven't played that yet but will make final call after I see the numbers...

Those are some terrible rolls...

If you'd like I will let you take the standard array
Nov 2, 2015 7:46 pm
I have an idea of what I want, but it'll depend on how the dice play out.

Edit: Okay, so I have rolls of 13, 10, 11, 13, 10, 11. Wow. I should roleplay as a townsperson!
Last edited November 2, 2015 7:49 pm

Rolls

Prisoner! - (1d10)

(7) = 7

Scavanger! - (1d20)

(7) = 7

Stats! - (4d6, 4d6, 4d6, 4d6, 4d6, 4d6, 4d6)

4d6 : (3364) = 16

4d6 : (1415) = 11

4d6 : (5331) = 12

4d6 : (3624) = 15

4d6 : (3132) = 9

4d6 : (6221) = 11

4d6 : (1326) = 12

Nov 2, 2015 7:51 pm
Ok... lol... anyone who doesn't like their rolls may take the standard array!
Nov 2, 2015 8:03 pm
Naatkinson says:
Moofsalot says:

Those are some terrible rolls...

If you'd like I will let you take the standard array
Done and thanks!
Nov 2, 2015 8:09 pm
I'm sticking with my rolls, and I will create a Half-Elf Wild Magic Sorcerer. (insert cackle here)

Edit: Also, I'm not familiar with the module, but from the rolls I assume we were individually taken prisoner at some point by the drow. Does the d10 roll indicate the number of years spent?
Last edited November 2, 2015 8:36 pm
Nov 2, 2015 8:54 pm
The 1d10 is the number of days. You were taken separately but you may have been a group before, that is up to you. It could have even been that you were a group, captured over the course of several days while you were on the run. The "how" and "where" of your capture is up to you. Could have been in the underdark or somewhere on the Sword Coast.
Nov 2, 2015 9:54 pm
[Notes to CancerMan and Moofsalot]
Naatkinson sent a note to CancerMan
Naatkinson sent a note to Moofsalot
Also, none of you will have any equipment. This includes spell foci, spellbooks, and component pouches.
You will have spells prepared, but won't be able to cast any with material components.
Wizards will be unable to prepare different spells until they get a spellbook to work from.
Nov 2, 2015 10:06 pm
Noted!

Would I be able to mix the Urchin and Sage backgrounds into my character? I was thinking of using the Feature and personality traits from Urchin, with the Skills, proficiencies, and equipment from Sage (equipment having been lost, of course).
CancerMan sent a note to Naatkinson
Nov 2, 2015 10:13 pm
Mixing of backgrounds is fine :)
Nov 2, 2015 10:38 pm
ROLLING

EDIT: Holy hell, there goes my luck for the rest of the game...
Last edited November 2, 2015 10:40 pm

Rolls

Seven rolls of 20+ - (4d6, 4d6, 4d6, 4d6, 4d6, 4d6, 4d6)

4d6 : (2655) = 18

4d6 : (4635) = 18

4d6 : (6136) = 16

4d6 : (5235) = 15

4d6 : (2365) = 16

4d6 : (1266) = 15

4d6 : (1432) = 10

Number of Days Captive - (1d10)

(2) = 2

Scavenge Roll - (1d20)

(16) = 16

Nov 2, 2015 10:57 pm
szemely says:
ROLLING

EDIT: Holy hell, there goes my luck for the rest of the game...
Oh... ummm... wow... congratulations!
Nov 2, 2015 11:18 pm
Quote:
Hunter Galfyne grew up in a gutter for as long as she can remember. The half-elf was living in a farmland quite a distance away from the city, but was orphaned after her parents disappeared, reportedly attacked by dark creatures in the night. Hunter was sent to live with human relatives in the city, but her aunt and uncle never held with fey and mistreated her, enough for the young child to run away and eke out a life on the streets.

It was difficult, at first. Hunter wasn't the strongest, and her clumsiness often landed her in trouble when she would try to steal food. She had to rely on her words and her appearance to get by, but it wasn't easy. Hunter would sometimes run with other packs of urchins, but was usually considered a weak link and inevitably she would be on her own once again.

Hunter's life changed when she tried to pick the pocket of a seemingly old and distracted human woman. She failed, miserably, but instead of turning her over to the authorities, the woman assessed her with bright, grey eyes. This was Hobren, an eccentric, but knowledgable, wizard passing through the city. She recognized within Hunter a deep connection to the mystic arts, something innate that, perhaps, could be tapped for greater potential. Hobren took on Hunter as an apprentice, and whisked the half-elf away to her cottage in the hills.

The half-elf studied what she could under the tutelage of this wizened human, for she was eager to learn and while food was often bland and not served very often, there was a warm roof to sleep under. Hobren taught Hunter magical theory and history, and had her practice with small cantrips to develop her craft.

Hunter found that magic felt natural, like something she could just think about and the results would present themselves. However, she began to notice that at times, unintended effects would occur without reason. The wizard revealed that while Hunter possessed remarkable talent, without control the surges of wild energy could cause disasterous side effects. Hobren fashioned a pair of leather gloves, each marked with a circle of runes on the palm, with which Hunter would use to concentrate on her spell-casting. The gloves, theorized Hobren, would be the focus of her energies, and hopefully through them would she learn greater control.

One night, Hobren and Hunter were on an excursion into the countryside, looking for reagants. Without warning, Hunter's world turned completely dark, and all she could hear where the shouts of battle and incantations. She felt waves of magical power unlike anything experienced before, and then she felt the bright flash of something impacting her abdomen, knocking the wind out of her. Another blow was felt, this time to her head, and if Hunter ever thought darkness could move, she certainly could see it spin. Fabric was thrown over her head and cinched at her neck, and she felt herself being dragged away before she fell into unconsciousness.

http://pre13.deviantart.net/e816/th/pre/f/2016/273/5/f/toph___youtube__by_rossdraws-dajfris.jpg
I left the fate of Hunter's master open. I can also adjust my backstory to partner with another player, if our time of incarceration is the same.
Last edited November 19, 2016 7:06 am
Nov 3, 2015 12:29 am
This is the part where I rig the dice roller to give me a full set of 6 18's, right?
Nov 3, 2015 12:34 am
Keleth says:
This is the part where I rig the dice roller to give me a full set of 6 18's, right?
Exactly!
Nov 3, 2015 12:52 am
As a wild magic sorcerer, go ahead and roll your d20 for wild magic surges every time you cast a spell of level 1 or higher. There is never a time when I will let that go without a roll.
Naatkinson sent a note to szemely
Nov 3, 2015 1:00 am
You got it. Though I'd also appreciate a reminder if I ever forget. This will be my second spellcaster roleplayed, and first as a mage.

Assuming I roll a 1 on wild magic, did you want me to roll the d100 in the same post (or followup post), or will you do that?
Nov 3, 2015 1:01 am
You can go ahead and roll it in the same post
Nov 3, 2015 1:04 am
Naatkinson says:
As a wild magic sorcerer, go ahead and roll your d20 for wild magic surges every time you cast a spell of level 1 or higher. There is never a time when I will let that go without a roll.
That'll be awesome! :-)

I'm thinking of going with a Dwarven Barbarian - something to pound on the stinking drow!
Nov 3, 2015 1:08 am
If you go dwarf barbarian you have the option of being a battlerager!
Nov 3, 2015 1:32 am
Naatkinson says:
If you go dwarf barbarian you have the option of being a battlerager!
Do I get Pwent's cool armor as well then? :-)

Are the battlerager's described in the SCAG? (Should be getting that later this week)
Nov 3, 2015 1:43 am
You do get the ability to use the armor actually. They are in SCAG, yep.

Battlerager Armor
When you choose this path at 3rd level, you gain the ability to use spiked armor as a weapon.

While you are wearing spiked armor and are raging, you can use a bonus action to make one melee weapon attack with your armor spikes against a target within 5 feet of you. If the attack hits, the spikes deal 1d4 piercing damage. You use your Strength modifier for the attack and damage rolls.

Additionally, when you use the Attack action to grapple a creature, the target takes 3 piercing damage if the grapple check succeeds.

Reckless Abandon
Beginning at 6th level, when you use Reckless Attack while raging, you also gain temporary hit points equal to your constitution modifier. They vanish if any of them are left when your rage ends.

Battlerager Charge
Beginning at 10th level, you can take the Dash action as a bonus action while you are raging

Spiked Retribution
Starting at 14th level, when a creature within 5 feet of you hits you with a melee attack, the attacker takes 3 piercing damage if you are raging, aren't incapacitated, and are wearing spiked armor.

Stats for Spiked Armor
Cost: 75 GP
AC: 14 + Dex Mod (Max 2)
Stealth: Disadvantage
Weight: 45 lbs
Nov 3, 2015 2:01 am
Cool! Looks like I don't have to make a decision until I hit third level so I'll have to give it some thought. Would be neat to be a gutbuster though! :-)
Nov 3, 2015 2:01 am
Not sure yet want I want to play. Let's see the stats first. As a prisoner of the drow, are drow PC's off limits?

Rolled Stats: 15, 12, 13, 15, 11, 12
Last edited November 3, 2015 6:35 am

Rolls

stat rolls - (4d6, 4d6, 4d6, 4d6, 4d6, 4d6, 4d6)

4d6 : (6354) = 18

4d6 : (3263) = 14

4d6 : (6343) = 16

4d6 : (4265) = 17

4d6 : (2542) = 13

4d6 : (6142) = 13

4d6 : (6132) = 12

prison time - (1d10)

(5) = 5

Scavenging - (1d20)

(15) = 15

Nov 3, 2015 2:07 am
Drow are a totally legit choice

Wow! Another fantastic set of rolls!
Nov 3, 2015 2:21 am
Tracking his latest kill the sturdy dwarf pauses to catch his breath and pulls his necklace from under his heavy winter clothing. A huge claw hangs at the end of the chain; a token of his first kill when he was a youngster. "No time fer dawdling!" he mumbles as he slips the necklace around his long pitch black beard - neatly braided in four distinct braids - and back under his clothing.

Grabbing Frick, his trusty hand axe, he picks up the wounded animal's trail and continues on. He's close. He can sense it. Working his way around a large boulder he nearly drops Frick to the ground at the unexpected sight. Drow!! Before he can even react he hears the clicking of hand crossbows and a magical darkness envelopes him.
Nov 3, 2015 2:49 am
What Dwarven citadel is Elfog from?
Nov 3, 2015 3:26 am
Citadel Felbarr although most of Clan Oakshoulder makes their living hunting mountain wildlife in the region.
Nov 3, 2015 4:18 am
Given the classes people are going for, we're missing a divine/healer and a skirmisher/scout. Not sure which way to go.
Nov 3, 2015 4:20 am
Well, a Healer isn't strictly necessary in this edition, just go ahead and play what you think would be the most fun
Nov 3, 2015 4:46 am
So unless there are more classes available outside the PHB, I think I may fall back on my usual style and go for a Halfling or Gnome Rogue. Bah, archtypes...
Nov 3, 2015 6:05 am
Well, if you want to be the stealth character without being the Rogue you can pick basically any class and take a background that grants proficiency in stealth.
Nov 3, 2015 8:58 am
I'm generally of the opinion that players play what they want. While it's nice to have that even spread of skills, I dislike forcing people to pigeonhole themselves into roles they're not comfortable with, or want to break out of.
Nov 3, 2015 1:41 pm
CancerMan says:
I'm generally of the opinion that players play what they want. While it's nice to have that even spread of skills, I dislike forcing people to pigeonhole themselves into roles they're not comfortable with, or want to break out of.
So much this ^^^
Naatkinson sent a note to jabes.plays.rpg
Nov 3, 2015 2:19 pm
Can't decide what to play. Thinking drow because when the hell else will I get to play one? (the sunlight sensitivity is a bit of a dealbreaker for me). Not a Drizzt clone. Favored Soul, maybe? Disgraced because she is favored by someone other than Lolth? Hmmm. Or a simple, soldier drone male. Easily discarded. Bound for the drider pit!

Evil characters: Yes, or no?

Jabes.plays.RPG sent a note to Naatkinson
Nov 3, 2015 2:33 pm
Evil characters are allowed

This article has options for underdark themed character options if you want to look about.
Nov 3, 2015 4:24 pm
Some interesting options there. Now would you allow UA Variant Ranger as the base class, and at 3rd level, instead of taking one of those Spirit Animal paths, I'd pick the Deep Stalker archetype? :-)
Nov 3, 2015 4:30 pm
The UA ranger is kinda tricky here, simply because it only goes to level 5, and this adventure goes all the way to level 15. I'm not sure what we'd do after level 5, or how it would work with the bonus spells from Deep Stalker.

Another thing I'd allow is the Witch Hunter class that was homebrewed by Matt Mercer of Critical Role.

Thoughts as to any of that? Input from anybody is welcome :)
Nov 3, 2015 5:07 pm
I assume there are books besides the core? I should see if there's an SRD...

Edit: There is no SRD. I don't have any classes besides the core. Time to go a-hunting.
Nov 3, 2015 5:11 pm
Keleth says:

Edit: There is no SRD. I don't have any classes besides the core. Time to go a-hunting.
Found THIS for the SCAG classes.

And this for Elemental Evil supplement
Nov 3, 2015 6:05 pm
Naatkinson says:
Keleth says:

Found THIS for the SCAG classes.

And this for Elemental Evil supplement
Ok, then I'm gonna take a look at Cleric casting and spells, and I'll pick between an rogue and a cleric. Too bad there's no Divine Trickster...
Nov 4, 2015 10:26 pm
So far we have
Hunter, the Half-Elven Wild Magic Sorcerer
Elfog Oakshoulder, the Mountain Dwarf Barbarian
Nov 5, 2015 12:21 am
Naatkinson says:
Elfog Oakshoulder, the Mountain Dwarf Barbarian
Who's going to hang out with Eldeth Feldrun and explain why Mountain Dwarves are so much better than the Shield variety.
Nov 5, 2015 12:36 am
I can already see that Hunter will try to avoid Ront, Sarith, and Jimjar. She will likely group up with Eldeth and Elfog purely because they are surface dwarves, and hope that their temperament and perceived strength can help protect her from the bullying orc. She'd also stay near Derendil, since he speaks elvish and hopefully the quaggoth form deters threats.

In turn, Hunter will try to provide for Stool, seeing a bit of her childhood in the young sprout.

If spoken to, she'll converse with Buppido, Shuushar, and the twins, specifically Topsy.
Last edited November 5, 2015 12:39 am
Nov 5, 2015 12:58 am
Stool has grown quite attached to Hunter in her time there, hardly leaving her side unless forced to do so.
Nov 5, 2015 3:50 pm
Just for documenting this, here are the current rolls for time spent as prisoners for the PCs, in order of length:

2 days:
Elfog Oakshoulder, the Mountain Dwarf Barbarian (szemely)
Moofsalot

5 days:
Jabes.plays.RPG

7 days:
Hunter Galfyne, the Half-Elf Sorcerer (CancerMan)
Nov 5, 2015 4:53 pm
I don't believe I said anything before, but you will all start with Inspiration :)
Nov 6, 2015 4:45 am
Leaning towards Deep Gnome Druid. Not sure how that will work yet.
Nov 6, 2015 6:06 am
I like that concept!
Nov 6, 2015 10:04 am
When this game came up my first thought was to play one of the Underdark races and/or class options, and I really liked the link Naatkinson posted, but I'm completely switching gears here:

I haven't mentioned it on this thread but I am Filipino. One of the things I've always wanted to do is to recreate as a D&D PC one of the creatures from Filipino folklore, the Tikbalang. The creature has the body of a man and the head, hooves, and tail of a horse. It is incredibly fast and immensely strong. It is a trickster, waylaying travellers who trespass on its domain. Here's a short video that tells you more if you're interested.

I first started working on this race when 5th edition had just come out. Putting emphasis on the speed rather than the strength I used the Wood Elf as the template as that seemed closest. But when Unearthed Arcana Waterborne Adventures came out with the minotaur, that got me real excited! Here was a playable half man, half beast. I decided the tikbalang could fill a similar niche as the minotaur, but as a dextrous trickster instead of as a strength-based brute (and so we're back at the elf, sort of). In the end what I've come up with is a combination of minotaur, trickster elf, and the warhorse stat block (PHB Appendix D).

If Naatkinson approves the tikbalang, I intend to make an outlander fighter (champion).

Comments?
Quote:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/3b/b2/5d/3bb25dd0d52265e6548eaaa9c0245cd5.jpg

TIKBALANG TRAITS:

Ability Score Increase: Your Dexterity score increases by 2, Charisma by 1.

Alignment: Malevolent fey, tikbalang tend towards chaos & evil. But some have been known to be aloof and capricious at best.

Size: Your size is Medium.

Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common and Sylvan.

Fleet of Foot: Your base walking speed increases to 35 feet.

Hooves: You are never unarmed. You are proficient with your hooves, which are a (Strength-based) melee weapon that deals 2d6 bludgeoning damage.

Trampling Charge: If the tikbalang moves at least 20 feet straight toward a creature right before hitting it with a hooves attack, the target must succeed on a Strength saving throw or be knocked prone. The DC for this save is DC 8 + Strength modifier + proficiency bonus. If the target is knocked prone, the tikbalang can take a bonus action to make another attack with its hooves against the target.

Darkvision: Accustomed to twilit forests and the night sky, you have superior vision in dark and dim conditions. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can’t discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.

Tikbalang Magic: You know the minor illusion cantrip. When you reach 3rd level, you can cast the longstrider spell once per day. When you reach 5th level, you can also cast the misty step spell once per day. Charisma is your spellcasting ability for these spells.
Last edited November 9, 2015 7:44 pm
Nov 6, 2015 12:51 pm
I'm ok with the Tikbalang. A couple changes, though. The hooves should specify that the attacks are strength based, and the DC for the charge attack should be changed to 8 + str + prof.

Make those changes and it is approved :)
Nov 6, 2015 2:47 pm
Now we have:
Xeliss, Deep Gnome Druid (Moofsalot, 2 days)
Elfog, Mountain Dwarf Barbarian (Szemely, 2 days)
Mai'ngor, Tikbalang Fighter (Jabes, 5 days)
Hunter, Half-elf Sorcerer (CancerMan, 7 days)

Just waiting on Keleth's character now :)
Nov 6, 2015 2:51 pm
Naatkinson says:
I'm ok with the Tikbalang. A couple changes, though. The hooves should specify that the attacks are strength based, and the DC for the charge attack should be changed to 8 + str + prof.

Make those changes and it is approved :)
Done! Yeah, I struggled with the hooves quite a bit because this is a Dex, not Str race, but I just couldn't justify making the hooves finesse weapons haha!

So here's my character:
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/56/c4/8d/56c48db28dd91ead6c6db800fcdb75a1.jpg

Mai'ngor, Tikbalang Champion

The tikbalang are a race of half-man, half-horse: the body of a man and the head, hooves, and tail of a horse. They are incredibly fast and immensely strong. Malevolent fey, they are a tricksters, waylaying travelers who trespass on their domain.

Mai’ngor is a tikbalang pintado (tattooed warrior) from the highlands. His batuk (tattoos): lightning bolts across his chest. Across his back, a great balete tree. On his forearms, python skin patterns. On his biceps, crocodile hide patterns. On his hocks and fetlocks, cloud patterns representing the winds. On his forehead, a flaming stone.

Mai’ngor is fleet of foot and ferocious in battle. He favors twin kris (swords with wavy blades), but also fights with the sibat and kalasag (spear and shield).

Mai’ngor’s father was Apo Munggogolot, chieftain of his tribe. His clan’s home was destroyed when a hunk of metallic rock fell from the sky into its midst. After the fires had been put out and the fatalities were buried, a strange illness broke out among the clan. They began wasting away, bleeding internally and dropping like flies; it was as if they were burning from the inside. The babaylan (priestesses, medicine women) figured out that the strange illness was being caused by the meteorite. Some of the young ones suggested abandoning their ancestral lands, while the elders called for the destruction or removal of the alien rock. None dared touch the rock except Mai’ngor, who was miraculously untouched by the strange sickness. He began chipping away at the rock while the leaders tried to figure out where to dispose of the stuff. Alas, it was all too late, in two days everybody was dead and the young warrior was alone. This was when he began his wandering. A warrior without ties, without a home.

The bulalakaw (meteor) tattoo on Mai’ngor’s forehead is a reminder. He yearns to someday reclaim his ancestral land which he left after his people all died. For now he is wandering the earth to gain prowess and wisdom. He carries a small chip from the rock that killed his people, in the hopes of learning more about it.

Trait: Despite my noble birth, I do not place myself above other folk. We all have the same blood.
Ideal: Glory. I must earn glory in battle, for myself and my clan.
Bond: I am the last of my tribe, and it is up to me to ensure their names enter legend.
Flaw: There’s no room for caution in a life lived to the fullest.
Nov 7, 2015 12:02 am
Very happy with the characters I've seen so far :)
Nov 9, 2015 5:40 pm
Just waiting for Keleth's character. If nobody else saw, he just underwent LASIK surgery and it has kept him rather busy.
Nov 9, 2015 5:44 pm
"Saw." I see what you did there.
Nov 9, 2015 5:46 pm
CancerMan says:
"Saw." I see what you did there.
I'm glad somebody caught that!
Nov 13, 2015 5:17 am
Let's see...

Rolls

Prisoner - (1d10)

(4) = 4

Scavenge - (1d20)

(16) = 16

Stat - (4d6)

(6221) = 11

Stat - (4d6)

(6226) = 16

Stat - (4d6)

(6344) = 17

Stat - (4d6)

(2555) = 17

Stat - (4d6)

(1554) = 15

Stat - (4d6)

(4165) = 15

Stat - (4d6)

(5256) = 18

Nov 13, 2015 5:25 am
Somewhat average, heh.
Nov 13, 2015 5:40 am
Keleth says:
Somewhat average, heh.
That looks pretty good to me!
Nov 13, 2015 5:47 am
I'd say those are above-average, once you drop the 10. Those are some solid rolls.
Nov 13, 2015 1:06 pm
I'd say that those rolls are pretty dang good :)
Nov 13, 2015 1:20 pm
Oh right, drop the lowest. I'm gonna try to get char's made on the plane, so maybe I'll get to post them tonight.
Nov 14, 2015 7:42 pm
Since we haven't started yet can I still tweak my character? I'm thinking of possibly changing the background feature from Wanderer to Retainers (Mai'ngor is an Outlander/Noble) His squire could be lost in the Underdark, or he may be back on the surface, searching for his datu (chieftain). What's stopping me is the fact that this would ruin the "I'm the last of my tribe" thing unless Mai'ngor's squire is not from his tribe, maybe he's not even tikbalang. Maybe he entered service after Mai'ngor had already begun wandering. What do you think?
Nov 14, 2015 7:45 pm
Yeah, not a problem! Still fair game to change it up
Nov 14, 2015 7:51 pm
Cool! I just wanted to try something new. :-) I could work the squire into Mai'ngor's bonds.
Nov 16, 2015 2:07 pm
Quick question, are we all dressed in rags, or did the drow let us keep our regular clothes? I know you said we started with no equipment; wondered if that included our attire.
Nov 16, 2015 2:08 pm
Your clothing is what you were captured in, though a bit worse for the wear due to the hard labor and beatings.
Nov 16, 2015 8:33 pm
[Note to Keleth]
Naatkinson sent a note to Keleth
Nov 17, 2015 5:12 am
Sorry about the delay, character is in. It's the first time making a DnD 5 char, and given we were in prison, I didn't do equip, which I'm hoping was correct. I'm also beginning to realize the 5e char sheet needs fixing up... Lemme know if I did anything on the char sheet wrong. Also, I thought my stats were a bit OP, so I knocked them down a bit.
Nov 17, 2015 5:18 am
Only thing you need to do is pick a background and you should be good :)
Nov 17, 2015 5:27 am
Naatkinson says:
Only thing you need to do is pick a background and you should be good :)
Done
Nov 17, 2015 6:20 am
Stats overpowered? Most would kill to have decent attributes.

But seriously, 5e player-characters are very squishy. It's best to take any and all advantage that you can.
Last edited November 17, 2015 6:20 am
Nov 17, 2015 12:02 pm
CancerMan says:

But seriously, 5e player-characters are very squishy. It's best to take any and all advantage that you can.
... fine, I'll up them back to what I rolled :p
Nov 17, 2015 1:56 pm
Keleth says:
CancerMan says:

... fine, I'll up them back to what I rolled :p
Bask in the glory that the RNG (Or cleverly manipulated code) has given you!
Nov 18, 2015 4:12 pm
Just noticed, Xeliss should have one more first level spell. 2 from wis mod and 1 from level of druid :)
Feb 10, 2016 5:35 pm
I will update this as we go along.

25 XP drow guards
250 XP Shoor Vandree
115 XP vrock
75 XP Y the derro
150 XP specters
400 XP wraith
----------------
1,015 XP total
Last edited February 10, 2016 5:37 pm
Feb 10, 2016 5:42 pm
Thanks for the reminder! I gotta level up...
Feb 10, 2016 5:49 pm
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
I will update this as we go along.

25 XP drow guards
250 XP Shoor Vandree
115 XP vrock
75 XP Y the derro
150 XP specters
400 XP wraith
----------------
1,015 XP total
Great idea! I've created a dedicated thread of experience tracking so this doesn't get lost if you want to put this in there :)
Apr 13, 2017 4:36 pm
May I pick from the UA Starter Spell list? I'd like to try out Chaos Bolt!
Apr 13, 2017 4:42 pm
CancerMan says:
May I pick from the UA Starter Spell list? I'd like to try out Chaos Bolt!
For Hunter, of course! I'd like to make one adjustment to it and have it activate a surge on a 1 or a 2. Make it that much more chaotic :)
Jul 28, 2017 12:52 am
Hey everyone! Thanks for letting me join. Can you let me know the general alignment/flavour of the party so I can build someone who fits? Normally I would read 'the story so far', but 3000 posts will take me a while. 🙂

I tend to like support characters, and notice you're low on the heals. Cleric or bard, maybe?
Last edited July 28, 2017 12:53 am
Jul 28, 2017 12:55 am
Support is low right now, and everyone is pretty much good aligned. Neutral at worst.

Are you familiar with the Forgotten Realms factions? Harpers, Order of the Gauntley, Lord's Alliance, Zhentarim, and Emerald Enclave? If you are, making a character that's aligned with one of them will make the "insertion" a bit smoother.
Jul 28, 2017 1:02 am
Sure am. Character creation rules for me?
Jul 28, 2017 1:05 am
Quote:
4d6 drop lowest, roll it 7 times and keep the highest 6 results. Anything from the PHB, DMG, EE, or SCAG allowed. If you want something from UA, just ask :)
Level up to 8, of course, as well. Races from Volo's may be usable, just ask :)

Once you make a character, we can probably find a magic item or two for you. Feel free to let me know what items interest you and I'll see what I can do for you
Jul 28, 2017 1:20 am
Welcome aboard, marithyme. Glad you could join us.
Jul 28, 2017 2:40 am
Welcome, marithyme! :-)
Jul 28, 2017 10:15 am
Thanks, guys! Love playing with each of you so couldn't resist. :)

I'm creating a tiefling bard, Melpomene.

Edit: And....I'll be going with standard array, if that's still okay? I always suck at rolling stats on here, not sure why I tried. Is point-buy an option?
Last edited July 28, 2017 10:17 am

Rolls

stats rolls - (4d6, 4d6, 4d6, 4d6, 4d6, 4d6, 4d6)

4d6 : (3231) = 9

4d6 : (2211) = 6

4d6 : (6523) = 16

4d6 : (3462) = 15

4d6 : (4113) = 9

4d6 : (6352) = 16

4d6 : (4254) = 15

Jul 28, 2017 12:36 pm
With those rolls... Go ahead and take the Array or Point Buy at your choosing!
Jul 29, 2017 12:05 pm
Thanks!

Lady Melpomene Eaglesford, Tiefling Bard submitted.

Magic item (very generous offer, thank you!): bag of holding or musical instrument would be my preference. Barring that, some sort of wearable that provides a measure of protection or concealment.
Jul 29, 2017 10:14 pm
A tiefling! This is goibg to be interesting. I apologize in advance for Mai'ngor's dislike for her given that their foes are demons. Yeah, he doesn't know nor care about the difference between the infernal and the abyssal.
Jul 29, 2017 11:21 pm
Totally understandable...and she's quite used to it. :) It's why the first spell she learned was Disguise Self.
Jul 30, 2017 1:58 am
Don't worry, I'm sure she'll win everyone over soon enough. Just look how everyone's okay with Sarith by now! :-)
Jul 31, 2017 12:47 am
I will grant Melpomene a Bag of Holding and a Cloak of Elvenkind to assist on this perilous journey!
Jul 31, 2017 2:04 am
Hello! Thanks for letting me join. Very excited to play with this group :) Can't believe all the awesome people assembled for it.

What does the group need at this point?
Last edited July 31, 2017 2:04 am

Rolls

Ability 1 - (4d6)

(5516) = 17

Ability 2 - (4d6)

(4666) = 22

Ability 3 - (4d6)

(5362) = 16

Ability 4 - (4d6)

(3535) = 16

Ability 5 - (4d6)

(3553) = 16

Ability 6 - (4d6)

(4654) = 19

Ability 7 - (4d6)

(6233) = 14

Jul 31, 2017 2:08 am
Got a fighter, barbarian, bard, and sorcerer at the moment as active players. In the wings, we have a rogue and druid. Really anything you may want is ok
Jul 31, 2017 4:07 pm
Hey MoMo! Good to have you here! :-)

Those are some really good stat rolls!
Last edited July 31, 2017 4:08 pm
Jul 31, 2017 9:14 pm
Welcome aboard, MoMo!
Jul 31, 2017 11:53 pm
Yay! Welcome!
Aug 1, 2017 1:08 am
Thanks :) Looking at playing a drow fighter/ranger, as an archer, at the moment. I've been skimming through the threads to get a grasp of things and I'm about halfway through.
Aug 1, 2017 3:21 am
MoMo says:
Thanks :) Looking at playing a drow fighter/ranger, as an archer, at the moment. I've been skimming through the threads to get a grasp of things and I'm about halfway through.
Dang, you're moving along quick! Ignore the sloppy DMing in the early parts, please!
Aug 1, 2017 3:24 am
Naatkinson says:
Dang, you're moving along quick! Ignore the sloppy DMing in the early parts, please!
I don't want to hold up the group, so I'm trying to get the character made fast. And no, there was no sloppy DMing. Your DMsmanship is excellent, as always.
Aug 1, 2017 11:10 am
Okay! I've done it! I've skimmed all of the posts. Luckily, and unsurprisingly, it has been a very exciting adventure thus far, and was fun to read :)

I've undoubtedly skipped over details here or there, but I have the gist of what's been going on in the area. I'll be playing Meriele (pic), assuming she's approved.

MoMo sent a note to Naatkinson
Aug 1, 2017 11:51 am
Naatkinson sent a note to MoMo
Aug 1, 2017 6:09 pm
MoMo sent a note to Naatkinson
Dec 15, 2017 5:59 am
Going to roll HP this time, hoping I get above average!

Rolls

HP - (1d6+2)

(4) + 2 = 6

Dec 15, 2017 1:53 pm
Increasing Fighter to lv 6. Taking the Resilient Feat for Con, instead of my ASI. Going to take average HP.
Dec 15, 2017 1:56 pm
MoMo, did you want to switch over to the Arcane Archer from Xanathar's Guide to Everything now that it's out or do you want to stick with what you've got?
Dec 15, 2017 1:59 pm
Oh, I haven't actually seen that one. Is it much different?
Dec 15, 2017 2:14 pm
Never mind, I just gave it a look! It looks pretty close to the same, but probably a lot more balanced with other archetypes? I figure I should take it, if only because it's more official and looks nice. :)

As far as I can tell, I lose Magic Arrow (and when I get it, it isn't +1 anymore), I gain either prestidigitation or druidcraft and mind-scrambling arrow is now beguiling arrow.
Dec 18, 2017 7:34 am
Raised Mai'ngor to Brb 1/ Ftr 8. Took the average hp increase, added the Lucky feat.
Dec 19, 2017 4:38 am
HP!

Rolls

HP - (1d8+2)

(7) + 2 = 9

Sep 9, 2018 7:03 pm
Rolling HP!

Rolls

10th level HP - (1d6+2)

(4) + 2 = 6

Sep 9, 2018 7:41 pm
Took the average hp increase. Mai'ngor is all set.
Sep 11, 2018 3:11 am
HP!

Rolls

Rolllin, Rollin' - (1d8+2)

(5) + 2 = 7

Jun 17, 2019 4:26 am
Level 11 HP

Rolls

Roll it! - (1d8+2)

(4) + 2 = 6

Feb 13, 2020 4:21 am
Thanks for the invite, look forward to rolling with you all
Feb 13, 2020 4:23 am
Rolls baby!

Rolls

4d6

(1362) = 12

4d6

(5115) = 12

4d6

(1135) = 10

4d6

(2664) = 18

4d6

(1241) = 8

4d6

(6413) = 14

4d6

(2521) = 10

Feb 13, 2020 4:26 am
Yikes! Ugly rolls. Oh well, at least I have a fair prime req roll.

S 9
D 11
C 13
I 16
W 11
Ch 9
Feb 13, 2020 4:27 am
Welcome to the Abyss, dominion and annex!
Feb 13, 2020 8:00 am
Thank you much! So quick question about gear... I know OOTA starts as a jail break thing where we have no gear, what will I start with at 11th level? If I go wizard will I have a full spellbook or is it better to go Sorcerer? Any magic items?
Feb 13, 2020 10:53 am
Glad to be here!
Feb 13, 2020 12:21 pm
dominion451 says:
Thank you much! So quick question about gear... I know OOTA starts as a jail break thing where we have no gear, what will I start with at 11th level? If I go wizard will I have a full spellbook or is it better to go Sorcerer? Any magic items?
We are way beyond the jail break at this point, so you'll have a different start. If you're a wizard, you'll definitely have a spellbook and everyone will have some magic items.
Feb 13, 2020 12:45 pm
...and rolling!

Choices below subject to change but most likely not.

14 - INT
12 - CON
12 - WIS
8 - STR
9 - CHA
14 - DEX
Last edited February 13, 2020 12:52 pm

Rolls

Stats stat!!! - (4d6, 4d6, 4d6, 4d6, 4d6, 4d6, 4d6)

4d6 : (4416) = 15

4d6 : (4622) = 14

4d6 : (4253) = 14

4d6 : (1521) = 9

4d6 : (4222) = 10

4d6 : (1441) = 10

4d6 : (6235) = 16

Feb 13, 2020 6:46 pm
I've updated and submitted my Wood Elf Arcane Trickster. Ælfric is ready for judgement! Not sure what magic item[s] will be allowed so I left him with his previous one for now.
Feb 14, 2020 6:31 am
I just need till the end of friday to round out my PC, I didnt have one prepared but I'm almost there...
Feb 17, 2020 5:27 am
Ok, Half-Drow Shadow Sorcerer submitted. Wanted to go Divination wizard but thought twinning my buffs might be more useful to the party as a whole. Now all I need is a robe of the archmagi... ;)
Feb 17, 2020 4:34 pm
Or maybe a staff of power... lol
Feb 17, 2020 4:37 pm
*side eyes the murder hobo* :P
Feb 17, 2020 9:08 pm
I'm away from home at the moment, so I'll decide magic items later this week. Until then, we have to figure out how to incorporate your characters into the game. The party is currently on a quest to retrieve a series of items for a drow wizard that could possibly send the demon lords back to the abyss. If you guys have ideas, I'm open to suggestions 😀
Feb 17, 2020 11:37 pm
annex says:
*side eyes the murder hobo* :P
Staff of perfect roleplaying then maybe?
Feb 18, 2020 12:20 am
I really am not usually a MH, but I didnt know what to expect from where you are in the game and while I havent played the mod I definitely know what we face at the end... so I figured I couldn't go wrong playing support.
Feb 18, 2020 12:24 am
Naatkinson says:
I'm away from home at the moment, so I'll decide magic items later this week. Until then, we have to figure out how to incorporate your characters into the game. The party is currently on a quest to retrieve a series of items for a drow wizard that could possibly send the demon lords back to the abyss. If you guys have ideas, I'm open to suggestions 😀
Well I went with Half Elf variant with drow blood to fit the flavor of the setting so I could be yet another escaped slave who has been wandering the underdark in hiding and happen to cross paths with the heros. My background is Outlander so I should be adept at living off moss and lichen as I wander the tunnels...
Last edited February 18, 2020 12:24 am
Feb 18, 2020 12:42 am
I originally built Ælfric as an arcane thief who 'retrieves' magic items for his clients. Perhaps he's also in the employ of the group's Drow wizard? I like the idea that a Drow would send two assets to achieve a task but not mention that to the assets. Or perhaps a rival sent him but they're forced to work together?
annex sent a note to Naatkinson
Feb 18, 2020 1:02 am
Ohh that's good, Rylleth and Aelfric could be the B squad.
Feb 18, 2020 4:08 am
Excited to meet these guys! Fair warning: Mai'ngor is gonna hate them. He still doesn't fully trust the NPC drow fighter even though they broke out of the same jail cell, and have been through so much together.
Last edited February 18, 2020 4:14 am
Feb 18, 2020 4:42 am
You know, I read through the last thread and I think the Divination Wizard (human) is gonna be a better fit. I withdrew the sorcerer and submitted the wizard.
Last edited February 18, 2020 4:42 am
Feb 18, 2020 5:36 am
https://i.vgy.me/tpWXVO.jpg

Seftan Rylleth

Son of a sage and member of a cloister of mages who monitor arcane activity in the underdark. Often tasked with the hunting and recovery of magical artifacts, he has come into a business relationship with Ælfric through their common pursuits.

Seftan's lifetime of study deep underground has left him pale and thin, but his mind has been sharpened by the dark and it's lack of distraction. He is polite and well measured, with a cautious nature and a hunger to learn the darkest secrets of the deep...
Last edited February 20, 2020 2:36 am
Feb 18, 2020 6:04 am
Maybe a robe of eyes... very diviner-y, or a mantle of spell resistance? I'm drooling for the good stuff!
Feb 18, 2020 2:48 pm
Throw 'Locate Object' in your spell list and we're good for this partnership.
Feb 18, 2020 3:58 pm
Done and done.
Feb 18, 2020 4:29 pm
Current Lesser Portent dice...

Rolls

1d20

(8) = 8

1d20

(11) = 11

Feb 19, 2020 4:13 pm
Excited to get started, and idea when we will resume? Are you away on business for a while?
Feb 19, 2020 6:18 pm
dominion451 says:
Maybe a robe of eyes... very diviner-y, or a mantle of spell resistance? I'm drooling for the good stuff!
You will have the following items:
[ +- ] Robe of Eyes
[ +- ] Staff of Defense
[ +- ] Balloon Pack
Feb 19, 2020 6:20 pm
Aelfric can keep his Robe of Stars and will also have:
[ +- ] Slippers of Spider Climbing
Feb 19, 2020 6:37 pm
Awesome! I'll be able to replace the Spider Climb spell with something else.
Also... I never realized how nice the Staff of Defense was.
Feb 19, 2020 8:09 pm
Naatkinson says:
dominion451 says:
You will have the following items:
[ +- ] Robe of Eyes
[ +- ] Staff of Defense
[ +- ] Balloon Pack
Love it, love it, love it!
Feb 19, 2020 9:30 pm
What is an elemental air node I wonder?
Feb 19, 2020 9:45 pm
Wow, I totally missed the air node thing. We'll just do a one hour recharge 😀
Feb 19, 2020 11:00 pm
dominion451 says:
What is an elemental air node I wonder?
Princes of the Apocalypse elemental evil stuff.
Feb 20, 2020 12:22 am
Naatkinson says:
Wow, I totally missed the air node thing. We'll just do a one hour recharge 😀
Now that I understand ;)
Feb 20, 2020 2:21 am
Since you are underdark explorers, I wanted to give you both something to help with exploring, specifically because of all of the random cliffs and whatnot down there. I didn't want them to be the same, so I gave one levitation and one slippers :)
Feb 20, 2020 2:23 am
The Slippers are a perfect match to his thief character concept, thanks. :)
Feb 20, 2020 2:32 am
my only issue with the balloon pack is that its a backpack... not sure how Ill carry my regular stuff...
Feb 20, 2020 4:30 pm
In a frontpack.

Kidding aside, I can see the deflated balloon being stored in a top compartment of the backpack, leaving the rest of the bag available for other things.
Feb 20, 2020 6:27 pm
Nice, I love an easy fix ;)
Feb 27, 2020 12:33 am
Staaaaats: 16, 15, 14, 13, 11, 9

4d6 - ( 4, 4, 1, 3 ) = 12-1=11
4d6 - ( 6, 1, 5, 3 ) = 15-1=14
4d6 - ( 3, 2, 5, 5 ) = 15-2=13
4d6 - ( 4, 2, 1, 2 ) = 9-1=8
4d6 - ( 6, 1, 1, 2 ) = 10-1=9
4d6 - ( 6, 5, 4, 3 ) = 18-3=15
4d6 - ( 6, 5, 1, 5 ) = 17-1=16
Last edited February 27, 2020 12:35 am

Rolls

Stat rolls - (4d6, 4d6, 4d6, 4d6, 4d6, 4d6, 4d6)

4d6 : (4413) = 12

4d6 : (6153) = 15

4d6 : (3255) = 15

4d6 : (4212) = 9

4d6 : (6112) = 10

4d6 : (6543) = 18

4d6 : (6515) = 17

Feb 27, 2020 4:02 am
I don't really care too much, but it might be easiest to have Drama's character be a part of the group with the other two new people. Maybe he got separated for a while in the Labyrinth?
Feb 27, 2020 4:07 am
Currently leaning goliath barbarian. And that works for me!
Feb 27, 2020 4:25 am
Why not let's roll HP

Rolls

Hp (10d12) - (10d12)

(101141449935) = 60

Aug 7, 2020 3:00 am
Attributes!

Rolls

Attributes! - (4d6, 4d6, 4d6, 4d6, 4d6, 4d6, 4d6)

4d6 : (4122) = 9

4d6 : (4515) = 15

4d6 : (5354) = 17

4d6 : (4453) = 16

4d6 : (6333) = 15

4d6 : (6262) = 16

4d6 : (2524) = 13

Aug 7, 2020 3:02 am
4d6 - ( 4, 1, 2, 2 ) = 9 -> 8
4d6 - ( 4, 5, 1, 5 ) = 15 -> 14
4d6 - ( 5, 3, 5, 4 ) = 17-> 14
4d6 - ( 4, 4, 5, 3 ) = 16-> 13
4d6 - ( 6, 3, 3, 3 ) = 15-> 12
4d6 - ( 6, 2, 6, 2 ) = 16-> 14
4d6 - ( 2, 5, 2, 4 ) = 13-> 11
Aug 7, 2020 9:39 pm
Ignore this, I) posted in the wrong topic.
Last edited August 7, 2020 9:40 pm
Feb 23, 2021 1:47 am
Ælfric @ Level 12!
>75 HP
>Level 12 Feat: Elven Accuracy! Chose +1 WIS.
[Changed my mind. Went with a feat.]
Last edited February 23, 2021 2:53 am
Feb 24, 2021 9:12 pm
Seftan @ level 12
+6 hp (4 class, 2 con)
New Feat (Tough: +24 hp)
New HP total: 98
2 new spells:

You do not have permission to post in this thread.