Character Creation

load previous
Nov 3, 2015 5:07 pm
I assume there are books besides the core? I should see if there's an SRD...

Edit: There is no SRD. I don't have any classes besides the core. Time to go a-hunting.
Nov 3, 2015 5:11 pm
Keleth says:

Edit: There is no SRD. I don't have any classes besides the core. Time to go a-hunting.
Found THIS for the SCAG classes.

And this for Elemental Evil supplement
Nov 3, 2015 6:05 pm
Naatkinson says:
Keleth says:

Found THIS for the SCAG classes.

And this for Elemental Evil supplement
Ok, then I'm gonna take a look at Cleric casting and spells, and I'll pick between an rogue and a cleric. Too bad there's no Divine Trickster...
Nov 4, 2015 10:26 pm
So far we have
Hunter, the Half-Elven Wild Magic Sorcerer
Elfog Oakshoulder, the Mountain Dwarf Barbarian
Nov 5, 2015 12:21 am
Naatkinson says:
Elfog Oakshoulder, the Mountain Dwarf Barbarian
Who's going to hang out with Eldeth Feldrun and explain why Mountain Dwarves are so much better than the Shield variety.
Nov 5, 2015 12:36 am
I can already see that Hunter will try to avoid Ront, Sarith, and Jimjar. She will likely group up with Eldeth and Elfog purely because they are surface dwarves, and hope that their temperament and perceived strength can help protect her from the bullying orc. She'd also stay near Derendil, since he speaks elvish and hopefully the quaggoth form deters threats.

In turn, Hunter will try to provide for Stool, seeing a bit of her childhood in the young sprout.

If spoken to, she'll converse with Buppido, Shuushar, and the twins, specifically Topsy.
Last edited November 5, 2015 12:39 am
Nov 5, 2015 12:58 am
Stool has grown quite attached to Hunter in her time there, hardly leaving her side unless forced to do so.
Nov 5, 2015 3:50 pm
Just for documenting this, here are the current rolls for time spent as prisoners for the PCs, in order of length:

2 days:
Elfog Oakshoulder, the Mountain Dwarf Barbarian (szemely)
Moofsalot

5 days:
Jabes.plays.RPG

7 days:
Hunter Galfyne, the Half-Elf Sorcerer (CancerMan)
Nov 5, 2015 4:53 pm
I don't believe I said anything before, but you will all start with Inspiration :)
Nov 6, 2015 4:45 am
Leaning towards Deep Gnome Druid. Not sure how that will work yet.
Nov 6, 2015 6:06 am
I like that concept!
Nov 6, 2015 10:04 am
When this game came up my first thought was to play one of the Underdark races and/or class options, and I really liked the link Naatkinson posted, but I'm completely switching gears here:

I haven't mentioned it on this thread but I am Filipino. One of the things I've always wanted to do is to recreate as a D&D PC one of the creatures from Filipino folklore, the Tikbalang. The creature has the body of a man and the head, hooves, and tail of a horse. It is incredibly fast and immensely strong. It is a trickster, waylaying travellers who trespass on its domain. Here's a short video that tells you more if you're interested.

I first started working on this race when 5th edition had just come out. Putting emphasis on the speed rather than the strength I used the Wood Elf as the template as that seemed closest. But when Unearthed Arcana Waterborne Adventures came out with the minotaur, that got me real excited! Here was a playable half man, half beast. I decided the tikbalang could fill a similar niche as the minotaur, but as a dextrous trickster instead of as a strength-based brute (and so we're back at the elf, sort of). In the end what I've come up with is a combination of minotaur, trickster elf, and the warhorse stat block (PHB Appendix D).

If Naatkinson approves the tikbalang, I intend to make an outlander fighter (champion).

Comments?
Quote:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/3b/b2/5d/3bb25dd0d52265e6548eaaa9c0245cd5.jpg

TIKBALANG TRAITS:

Ability Score Increase: Your Dexterity score increases by 2, Charisma by 1.

Alignment: Malevolent fey, tikbalang tend towards chaos & evil. But some have been known to be aloof and capricious at best.

Size: Your size is Medium.

Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common and Sylvan.

Fleet of Foot: Your base walking speed increases to 35 feet.

Hooves: You are never unarmed. You are proficient with your hooves, which are a (Strength-based) melee weapon that deals 2d6 bludgeoning damage.

Trampling Charge: If the tikbalang moves at least 20 feet straight toward a creature right before hitting it with a hooves attack, the target must succeed on a Strength saving throw or be knocked prone. The DC for this save is DC 8 + Strength modifier + proficiency bonus. If the target is knocked prone, the tikbalang can take a bonus action to make another attack with its hooves against the target.

Darkvision: Accustomed to twilit forests and the night sky, you have superior vision in dark and dim conditions. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can’t discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.

Tikbalang Magic: You know the minor illusion cantrip. When you reach 3rd level, you can cast the longstrider spell once per day. When you reach 5th level, you can also cast the misty step spell once per day. Charisma is your spellcasting ability for these spells.
Last edited November 9, 2015 7:44 pm
Nov 6, 2015 12:51 pm
I'm ok with the Tikbalang. A couple changes, though. The hooves should specify that the attacks are strength based, and the DC for the charge attack should be changed to 8 + str + prof.

Make those changes and it is approved :)
Nov 6, 2015 2:47 pm
Now we have:
Xeliss, Deep Gnome Druid (Moofsalot, 2 days)
Elfog, Mountain Dwarf Barbarian (Szemely, 2 days)
Mai'ngor, Tikbalang Fighter (Jabes, 5 days)
Hunter, Half-elf Sorcerer (CancerMan, 7 days)

Just waiting on Keleth's character now :)
Nov 6, 2015 2:51 pm
Naatkinson says:
I'm ok with the Tikbalang. A couple changes, though. The hooves should specify that the attacks are strength based, and the DC for the charge attack should be changed to 8 + str + prof.

Make those changes and it is approved :)
Done! Yeah, I struggled with the hooves quite a bit because this is a Dex, not Str race, but I just couldn't justify making the hooves finesse weapons haha!

So here's my character:
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/56/c4/8d/56c48db28dd91ead6c6db800fcdb75a1.jpg

Mai'ngor, Tikbalang Champion

The tikbalang are a race of half-man, half-horse: the body of a man and the head, hooves, and tail of a horse. They are incredibly fast and immensely strong. Malevolent fey, they are a tricksters, waylaying travelers who trespass on their domain.

Mai’ngor is a tikbalang pintado (tattooed warrior) from the highlands. His batuk (tattoos): lightning bolts across his chest. Across his back, a great balete tree. On his forearms, python skin patterns. On his biceps, crocodile hide patterns. On his hocks and fetlocks, cloud patterns representing the winds. On his forehead, a flaming stone.

Mai’ngor is fleet of foot and ferocious in battle. He favors twin kris (swords with wavy blades), but also fights with the sibat and kalasag (spear and shield).

Mai’ngor’s father was Apo Munggogolot, chieftain of his tribe. His clan’s home was destroyed when a hunk of metallic rock fell from the sky into its midst. After the fires had been put out and the fatalities were buried, a strange illness broke out among the clan. They began wasting away, bleeding internally and dropping like flies; it was as if they were burning from the inside. The babaylan (priestesses, medicine women) figured out that the strange illness was being caused by the meteorite. Some of the young ones suggested abandoning their ancestral lands, while the elders called for the destruction or removal of the alien rock. None dared touch the rock except Mai’ngor, who was miraculously untouched by the strange sickness. He began chipping away at the rock while the leaders tried to figure out where to dispose of the stuff. Alas, it was all too late, in two days everybody was dead and the young warrior was alone. This was when he began his wandering. A warrior without ties, without a home.

The bulalakaw (meteor) tattoo on Mai’ngor’s forehead is a reminder. He yearns to someday reclaim his ancestral land which he left after his people all died. For now he is wandering the earth to gain prowess and wisdom. He carries a small chip from the rock that killed his people, in the hopes of learning more about it.

Trait: Despite my noble birth, I do not place myself above other folk. We all have the same blood.
Ideal: Glory. I must earn glory in battle, for myself and my clan.
Bond: I am the last of my tribe, and it is up to me to ensure their names enter legend.
Flaw: There’s no room for caution in a life lived to the fullest.
Nov 7, 2015 12:02 am
Very happy with the characters I've seen so far :)
Nov 9, 2015 5:40 pm
Just waiting for Keleth's character. If nobody else saw, he just underwent LASIK surgery and it has kept him rather busy.
Nov 9, 2015 5:44 pm
"Saw." I see what you did there.
Nov 9, 2015 5:46 pm
CancerMan says:
"Saw." I see what you did there.
I'm glad somebody caught that!
Nov 13, 2015 5:17 am
Let's see...

Rolls

Prisoner - (1d10)

(4) = 4

Scavenge - (1d20)

(16) = 16

Stat - (4d6)

(6221) = 11

Stat - (4d6)

(6226) = 16

Stat - (4d6)

(6344) = 17

Stat - (4d6)

(2555) = 17

Stat - (4d6)

(1554) = 15

Stat - (4d6)

(4165) = 15

Stat - (4d6)

(5256) = 18

load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.