Chapters 1, 2, and 3

Nov 2, 2015 7:08 pm
Captured by the drow! You wouldn't wish this fate upon anyone, yet here you are locked in a dark cave, the cold, heavy weight of metal tight around your throat and wrists. You are not alone. Other prisoners are trapped in here with you, In an underground outpost far from the light of the sun.

Your captors include a cruel drow priestess who calls herself Mistress llvara of House Mizzrym. Over the past several days, you've met her several times, robed in silken garments and flanked by two male drow, one of whom has a mass of scars along one side of his face and neck.

Mistress llvara likes to impress her will with scourge in hand and remind you that your life now belongs to her. ''Accept your fate, learn to obey, and you may survive.'' Her words echo in your memory, even as you plot your escape.

NPCs are in this thread
Nov 5, 2015 12:43 am
http://s14.postimg.org/u0q7vqggx/Velkynvelve.png

The prison outpost, called Velkynvelve by the drow, that you are trapped in is built high in a large cavern in the Underdark. The outpost consists of a series of small caves in the cavern walls and four "hanging towers" - hollowed out stalactites connected by walkways, rope bridges and stairs. Below the stalactites is a mass of spider webs, the home of a huge number of gigantic spiders.

The largest stalactite (6-8) is reserved for the priestesses, Ilvara Mizzrym and Asha Vandree, and their unholy shrine to Lolth, Goddess of Chaos and Spiders. Housed in the same area is Shoor Vandree, Ilvara's lieutenant and lover. Another notable figure is Jorlan Duskryn, Ilvara's lover until he got disfigured during a run-in with a black pudding.

You've counted a total of nineteen drow at the outpost, including the officers, as well as a dozen quaggoth slaves and numerous giant spiders. You can see the guard tower (10) from your cell (11), where there are always at least 3 drow guards watching out with loaded crossbows. In the next small cavern is the quaggoth den (12) where the keep the quaggoth penned up when they are not working. A waterfall (9) flows down to the cavern floor below, where you have heard is a gray ooze that takes care of any trash that the drow want to dispose of.

Besides this there are watch posts (1 and 13) on the south and north wall respectively, the barracks (2) where the guards, and Jorlan, sleep. The main eating and gathering area is the main hall (3), where you only get to spend time cleaning and cooking. There is also an elite barracks (4) for the more prestigious of the drow warriors; this barracks also oversees a lift (5) that leads down to the cavern floor 100 feet below.
Nov 5, 2015 1:04 am
Your sleep has been troubled, filled with strange dreams and disturbing images. Dark shadows seem to move and reach toward you as you wander, lost, through the twisting maze of the underdark. Oily tentacles slide to brush up against you while a great buzzing and howling rises in the distance. Suppurating wounds burst open in clouds of spores or masses of maggots.
Naatkinson sent a note to CancerMan
Nov 17, 2015 4:43 pm
You are all wearing iron slave collars along with manacles connected to iron belts by short lengths of chain. The cage you stay in has wards on it to prevent spellcasting and you are watched very well when out of your cage working.

You each have a clay chamber pot, but no other comforts in the cage. You are forced to sleep on the hard stone floor, and are only fed once per day. You've all had time to get a little bit familiar with the other prisoners and the general layout of the outpost.

You are currently locked up, waiting for your next shift for menial labor. All the prisoners are currently in the cage. You know that you have a few hours left before the next shift (an uncommon break), though you don't know who is going to be working. What are you doing now?
Nov 17, 2015 4:52 pm
Hunter wakes, yet again, from a restless sleep. The half-elf pulls her slender frame up to a sitting position as the chains clink their dull music. Her gaze flits about the cavern to confirm that yes, she's still in this damnable cell. She tries to meditatively reflect on how much time has passed, but it's been getting harder and harder to maintain the passage of days.

The sorcerer steals a few surreptitious glances about, then pulls a small crumb of stale bread from within the folds of her robes. This was a trick she picked up while a child on the streets, keeping small morsels of food tucked away in her pockets. Such a stash often came in handy when times were lean.
Nov 17, 2015 5:59 pm
Soliin stretches as he wakes, tired as always. He awaits another day of playing the footstool to some priestess or another, but gives his best shot at a smile. The natural optimism of his race is a bane in this situation, but he does his best to hide it. Maybe today he'll be able to talk his way into just being a side table... or maybe a statue! He hasn't gotten to be a statue in a while...
Nov 17, 2015 10:56 pm
"Damned Drow!" Elfog, sitting crosslegged on the floor, mumbles to himself. At 5'1" he's unusually tall for a dwarf. A fact which hasn't seemed to have gone unnoticed by his captors.

"I'd love to get me a shot at one of 'em - put a little hurt to 'em!" he says in dwarven to Eldeth.

OOC: Any play in the chains? Can he try twisting them or otherwise breaking them? How many guards usually come to retrieve us from the cell when it's time to "work"?
Last edited November 17, 2015 10:57 pm
Nov 17, 2015 11:29 pm
If you would like to try to break the chains or wiggle out of them you may make a strength or Dexterity check

Usually 3 or 4 guards come to retrieve you for work
Nov 17, 2015 11:50 pm
Sitting upright Elfog starts to move his arms in small circular motions twisting the chains connecting the manacles to his belt. Even as the manacles start to bite into his wrists he'll persist in an attempt to snap the chains.

Rolls

Strength Check - (1d20+4)

(16) + 4 = 20

Nov 17, 2015 11:55 pm
Hunter smiles wanly. She tried to break free when she first got here. Perhaps the dwarf has the requisite strength, but what does he intend to do after?
Nov 18, 2015 6:04 pm
Mai'ngor turns his equine head, eyes glowing red in the shadows, his nostrils flaring.  He puts away the meteorite fragment it has become his habit to play with when his hands are idle. The tikbalang leans his tattoo-covered torso forward, watching Elfog with interest.

Before his capture by the drow the horse-man was a warrior-king of a people long-gone, lord of a desolate domain of nothing but death. A stone had fallen out of the sky, and those who did not perish in flames died of disease soon after. All but Mai'ngor, the chieftain's son. He had gone wandering after that, for years,  seeking answers. Instead, he had found the inside of a drow prison.

"What do you intend, dwarf? Shall we fight our way out of this hell?" It is obvious the horse-man relishes the prospect of battle. Or oblivion.
Last edited November 18, 2015 6:06 pm
Nov 18, 2015 6:18 pm
"You and me both, dwarf. Bash their heads in, I would." I respond in dwarvish. I spare him a quick glance before I look away and back down at my manacled hands. I quietly imagine all the ways I will destroy the ones who enslaved me if given the chance.
Nov 18, 2015 6:25 pm
It's nice that the newest prisoners still have spirit. Hunter's was nearing the breaking point and she almost committed herself to an eternity in the dark cavern, ultimately meeting an end with the grey ooze said to reside at the bottom. She sits a little straighter.
Nov 18, 2015 6:29 pm
Eldeth smiles and nods her head enthusiastically in agreement and replies in dwarvish, "I'd give me left arm for a chance to take one shot at that nasty priestess."

Elfog works the chains for a bit, feeling for weakness. Then, suddenly, his muscles flex as he pulls the chains in opposite directions and there is the sound of metal snapping as the links come apart. Eldeth and the other prisoners stare at Elfog in shock.
Nov 18, 2015 11:02 pm
Rubbing his wrists after freeing his hands Elfog responds to Xeliss and Eldeth in dwarvish, "You both may just get yer chances!". He moves over to Eldeth and will attempt to assist her in breaking her chains - "Twist 'em up nice an' tight and we'll bust 'em good!"

Looking at the others in the room he starts to make circular motions with his hands indication that the rest of the group should start twisting up their chains as well. "I've only been here two days and I don't plan on making it three!"

OOC: Not sure how an assist would work - just did the strength thing but if you need something else go ahead and roll it if you'd like.
Last edited November 18, 2015 11:30 pm

Rolls

Strength Check (Assist Eldeth) - (1d20+4)

(9) + 4 = 13

Nov 18, 2015 11:27 pm
Hunter hesitates as she listens to the dwarves speak. She can understand them well-enough, but she doubts she has enough raw physical strength to break free. The sorcerer looks at Stool, judging whether or not she ought to cooperate with this escape plan (the beatings aren't something she'd like to repeat anytime soon).

She finally makes her decision. The dwarves' resilience may just be the key to unlock these chains. Hunter twists her manacles and pulls the links taut.

Rolls

Chain Break - (1d20)

(3) = 3

Nov 18, 2015 11:48 pm
Hunter can't get her chains to budge even a little bit.

With Elfog's help Eldeth twists and pulls at her chains. She twists and pulls, muscles straining until finally *snap*, the chains finally give.

The other prisoners look too nervous to even try that, afraid of what the drow may do when they find out.

Rolls

Eldeth str check with adv - (1d20+3, 1d20+3)

1d20+3 : (17) + 3 = 20

1d20+3 : (11) + 3 = 14

Nov 18, 2015 11:49 pm
Hunter rests her hands in her lap. Figures.
Nov 19, 2015 12:03 am
Derendil looks on happily, "Good show! Maybe once we get out of here I can get back to taking my kingdom back."

Sarith looks on in amusement, "You're fools if you think you can escape from here, and even if you did you wouldn't last a day in the wilds of the Underdark."

Topsy is excited, "Help me out of here, I can help you get out of here!"

Turvy watches with a dark look on his face until Topsy elbows him in the ribs and he nods.

Stool sits quietly next to hunter and shares sadness with her.

Ront pulls and pulls at his chains, but his seem made of stronger stuff and his struggles show no effect.

Jimjar speaks up, "I bet you ten gold that I can break my chains too!" You're all used to his betting in just the short time you've been here.

Buppido has a calculating look on his face before asking, "Do you think you could break mine as well?"

Shuushar watches in amazement at the feats of strength from the dwarves, "Most impressive!"

Too many NPCs at once!

Rolls

Ront Str check - (1d20+3)

(4) + 3 = 7

Nov 19, 2015 4:49 am
These other prisoners seem incredibly motivated. Alright, I'll bite. I raise my fists and give the chains a good tug.

Rolls

Breakin' chains? - (1d20+1)

(12) + 1 = 13

load next

Thread locked