Character Creation Thread

Nov 29, 2015 8:27 am
This is the area where we will hash out who we the PCs are. The First Mission you will be having is the Rite of Ascension. The Seer has chosen your character and you should be invested in completing the Rite, though not completely, just mostly. I want all the PCs to be friendly, if nothing else.
Nov 29, 2015 8:40 pm
I've submitted character to the game. I still need to add her bio and story. I have it ready but i need to write it - and will do it soon.

Triat is young determined lady. She is abnormally big - 2.1m tall, and while she is well fit - simply he is just really tall and she is muscular and well trained physically by her old father - elder Triun was one of commanders of local militia for many years. For many years he had dream about boy, but his wife had health problems and was not very reproductive. Triat was only child, which was grown in enviroment of father's ambition to have strong hero sibling, which will be person to follow and respect for anyone in the Cove. She is very ambitious, competetive girl - as her father, and she have something that frightens others even more - her ability to duplicate herself. People talk that she started to duplicate herself after one harsh winter group of numenera trades arrived from the South. People tell her father bought some very expencive numenera from one of the traders, investing almost all savings Triun family had. For few months small girl had odd behaviour, and then everyone noticed that she plays and manipulates own copy which made of nanites.
She uses old huge fishing hook as heavy two-handed weapon, while her copy holds the lighter version.
Despite being young girl everyone in the village know - she was grown as fighting machine by her old, respected in the cove father.

Hulking 19 might lady which holds heavy 2h weapon , wears only light armour and can create copy of herself.

I made adjustemnts into the inventory. According to character build i have option for clothes and one medium armour and 5 shins. I pick 2 sets of light armour instead of that, pls tell if it ok. I will polish Triat story and will post it here later.
Last edited November 29, 2015 8:45 pm
Nov 29, 2015 9:55 pm
I've read a good portion of the CRB once -- but that's it, so I'll be starting from scratch knowledge wise. I have a bunch of meetings out of state this week, so I'll be taking the CRB with me to read/reference while I'm on the road and building the character.
Last edited November 29, 2015 9:55 pm
Nov 29, 2015 10:07 pm
I approved Triat. I am fine with the idea of your choice to trade in the medium armor and clothes for two sets of light armor so that you have something for your duplicate to wear.

There are a few details I'd like to go over in your backstory, just get a few more details. First, lets discuss the militia. There is not much of an organised threat to Uncegilla Cove, so there is not much need for a standing armed force. Occasionally a tribe of abhumans might pose a threat. In these times everyone has to do their part, but these are few and far between...10 or more years apart. However, if we could make the militia serve as the peacekeepers for the area, then there would be a need for someone to hold the job. Is it OK to consider Triun to be a respected leader of this peacekeeping force that is the first to respond to trouble, whether it be foreign or domestic? Basically they would be the town guard.

Next, just to have an idea of the weapon you are using, are you using the blunt haft or the sharp hook as the weapon? Just to have an idea as to whether you are skewering your enemies or bashing them over the head most of the time.

Finally, how does Triat feel about her duplicate? Do she/it have a different name? are they friendly or is the duplicate just an extension of Triat, like a literal second pair of hands?
Nov 29, 2015 10:26 pm
1. Triun and guards - whatever guard entity existing in the setting is fine by me. Perhaps, yes, guards, or even retired ship convoy captain. Something with military/combat background. As he really had vision of powerful hero sibling, when the attempts to make boy failed and his daughter appeared to match his visions, he bought powerful numenera to extend the family and her capabilities. to ensure she will have advantage and will have copy of herself.

2. Weapon is old fishing hook used for huge, even enormous fish, attached to heavy and thick pole. Probably it is not fishing hook even - but hook which was used for some other task on ships many years ago. It was improved and modified by Triun himself, and she also cares about it and tries to improve by melting and fusing more metal layes on its hook's curve to improve it's durability and weight . It is basically huge smashing hook with much more weight addition which could be used as maul but also can grapple (+1 diff to perform, no damage/less damage, grapple(disabled action for grappled foe and Triat)?)

3. Triat played with her duplicate from childhood. She knows that the duplicate have nano nature , but he threats it like herself - with care, pride, but she see her as her own extension. Something that is part of her, like normal people threat own hands or legs - but for her another copy of her exist, bound to her will. Yes, she have a name - Tairt (Name of Triat backwards)

4. More details - she is quite ambitious, self-loving and sometimes over-confident. Her drive is her boon and bane, as she listens less, and act more following her inner drive. Her determination provided with her ambition and ambition of her father. She was educated, grown to be first. The best. Powerful, mighty, respected and fearsome. She is fond of her advantages over weaker youth of the cove, and when she was younger she had problems with anger management, which dissolved when she became older and got proper, sometimes harsh lessons from her father.
Last edited November 29, 2015 10:42 pm
Nov 29, 2015 10:46 pm
1. Great...seems we are on the same page. Triun rose through the ranks as a defender of the Cove and it's people. He wanted to create a legacy but fate apparently had other plans.

2. Sounds good for the weapon. Lets say it can decrease the difficulty by 1 for Grapple and Trip attacks that don't deal weapon damage?

3. So outsiders should treat Tairt as a part of Triat, but Triat has a more normal relationship?

4. Good personality notes. I can work with that and as other players develop their characters hopefully they can too.
Nov 29, 2015 11:29 pm
Quote:
So outsiders should treat Tairt as a part of Triat, but Triat has a more normal relationship?
Actually opposite.
Others threat Tairt as another Triat.
She herself sees her copy as manifestation of own power, as extension of her will.

For weapons - yea, sounds good ! So grapple which doesn ot deal damage byt makes target and Triat action impossible till she releases the victim of her grapple.

PS i still need to complete her character sheet (it is uncomplete) + i could get cyphers/oddities if applicable in the setting
PPS Added Bash and Surging Confidence combat moves.
Last edited November 29, 2015 11:40 pm
Nov 30, 2015 2:01 am
Oh...Sure now I get it.

For the weapon..yes exactly. Arms will be "locked up" and actions needing them will be impossible for Triat (or Tairt) and probably impossible for humanoids of comparable size. Tripping will also impose reduced difficulties in hitting or avoiding attacks, or making enemies waste their actions getting back to their feet.

I will roll cyphers now and give your oddity...I made a list of potentially useful oddities.

Oddity - A synth mat that is warm at night and cool in the day. Useful for staying comfortable in all but extreme temperatures.

Density Nodule (lv5): For the next 28 hours, each time the weapon the nodule is attached to strikes a solid creature or object, the weapon suddenly increases dramatically in weight, causing the blow to inflict an additional 2 points of
damage.

Skill Boost (lv 5): Intellect Defense - Dramatically but temporarily alters the user’s mind. The difficulty of an Intellect Defense is decreased by three(3) steps. Once activated, this boost can be used a number of times equal to the cypher’s level(5), but only within a 28-hour period.

Rolls

Cypher roll - (1d100, 1d100)

1d100 : (78) = 78

1d100 : (12) = 12

Density Nodule level - (1d6)

(5) = 5

Skill Boost Nodule - (1d6)

(5) = 5

Skill boost skill - (1d100)

(56) = 56

Nov 30, 2015 8:44 pm
Basically I'm playing a brawler type that's seen a bit of reform and is more of a Monk. I'm going with a Tough Nano who Needs No Weapon for system crunch, Background is in the notes if you want more let me know.

Since Triat is the only character so far for the tie in to someone else they seem to think the only true weapons are those you hold in your hands (which makes sense for your character) and may look at you in disdain (or at least as 'weird' or 'dat boy ain't right in the head').

For these I still need to figure out:
A book about the Numenera (do I get to name this one?)
Three cyphers (chosen for you by the GM)
One oddity (chosen for you by the GM)

On a side note a lot of people signed up now! XD
Nov 30, 2015 8:53 pm
Fine by me about connection - makes alot of sense.

Also i need to find person to establish Triat connection (i picked simplier one): You used to move in the same social circles and knew of each other, but you had never been introduced.

Tell me if anyone up for this.
Nov 30, 2015 9:08 pm
I would saw Pha might meet the description (you on the side of the peacekeepers breaking up rabble rousers, Pha on the side on someone causing a disturbance or 'resolving' it during a rabble rousing.) but I guess hold off maybe to see who all everyone creates, it's a small village kind of.
Nov 30, 2015 9:53 pm
@Remnant: Over all I am happy with Pha. I like the "Punk gone Monk" idea and the interplay between him and the chief of police's daughter has some good potential there. Looking at your notes on Pha's background, I see one or two things I'd like to clarify.

First, I want all PCs to be from Uncegilla Cove. In your bio right now it indicates Pha was from somewhere else then moved to Uncegilla. This needs to be changed up a bit. There is definitely an orphanage of some kind in the village, many people are lost at sea or to disease or accident, so that's fine. So that part just moves into the town proper and is fine. It's is known Pha is responsible for the death of an adult (we should work out who that was and his son'so identity) and then he was cast out. Your mentor idea is fine. Are you picturing someone who lives a hermit lifestyle in the woods near Uncegilla? What do they do to make a living? Or survive? Are they a sage or a forest guide? Maybe a hunter who brings in pelts and meat to trade? I'm thinking they're ok Pha on out of pity for being an outcast and they took him in. Or maybe the mentor still lives in town but on the edges to keep the heat off Pha.

As for the book, if I remember the way it works you get to claim it as an asset when dealing with Numenera during play. So, yeah you can choose a title, but keep it vague enough that you don't back yourself into a corner.

I am away from my books until mush later tonight. I will get your Cyphers and oddities later tonight.
Nov 30, 2015 10:11 pm
Pha being from someplace else and the orphanage would be about 11-13 years ago (I figure you wanted us around 19 or 18 maybe for the start). I'm fine with being from Uncegilla the whole time if that's what the story needs to be based off so he was born in the area. I can rework it but Mohsen being a hermit on the outskirts of town and being a reality check daily that humbles Pha (still) to a school of hard knocks I think will probably something I'd like to still steer towards. So let me know if I need to be born and I'll rework it a little after I get home tonight.
Nov 30, 2015 10:23 pm
Age can be anywhere from 16-19. I do need Pha to be from Uncegilla. And Moshen, your mentor, took you in after the fire, seeing that you were not beyond redemption and have some potential
Nov 30, 2015 10:31 pm
Hello everyone, I'll be posting up a concept later tonight or tomorrow. I need to scan over the existing concepts and the setting thread to get up to speed.

For mechanical purposes, would everyone mind either updating their description post or making a new post giving their Numenera character "sentence"? You know, the whole, "Clever Jack who Talks to Machines" or whatever. That would help guide me as to my own character's role in the party. Currently, I just want to make everything, because this is my first time through character creation and it all sounds so freakin' cool!
Nov 30, 2015 10:38 pm
I've got you covered Friar_Tuck. So far we have:

Pha, Tough Nano who Needs No Weapons
Triat, Driven Glaive who Exists in Two Places at Once
Nov 30, 2015 11:13 pm
I currently have Strong Glaive who Masters Weaponry
Still working out the details besides that :)
Dec 1, 2015 5:51 am
I'm a Newbie who Is Reading The CRB Character Creation Rules. More from me in a day or two.
Dec 1, 2015 5:52 am
Posting of Pha's Stuff

Oddity: A ring that tightens painfully when in the presence of environmental hazards.
Cyphers:

Disrupting nodule lvl 2
Usable: Crystal nodule affixed to a melee weapon
Effect: For the next 28 hours, each time the weapon the nodule is attached to strikes a solid creature or object, it generates a burst of nanites that directly attack organic cells. The affected target takes 1 additional point of damage and loses his next action.

Magnetic shield lvl 3
Usable: Small pyramid-shaped metallic device
Effect: For ten minutes, metal objects cannot come within immediate range of the activated device. Metal items already in the area when the device is activated are slowly pushed out.

Retaliation nodule lvl 6
Usable: Crystal nodule affixed to armor or clothing
Effect: For the next 28 hours, anyone striking the armor(or clothing) the nodule is attached to triggers a small burst of electricity that inflicts 1 point of damage (no action or roll required).

Rolls

Cypher rolls - (1d100, 1d100, 1d100)

1d100 : (74) = 74

1d100 : (24) = 24

1d100 : (52) = 52

Cypher Levels - (1d6, 1d6+2, 1d6)

1d6 : (2) = 2

1d6+2 : (1) + 2 = 3

1d6 : (6) = 6

Dec 1, 2015 1:24 pm
I think I'm done with my sheet now have all the info from you, the boy's name and my two NPCs in the Notes section.

Also for those making characters this might help:
Character creation
Last edited December 1, 2015 6:33 pm
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.