Character Creation Thread

load previous
Dec 2, 2015 6:25 pm
1) They told him they say his father dying painfully in his arms. This knowledge has caused an internal war within Carrick, not knowing if the voices should be trusted, or if they were telling him (intentionally or not) a falsehood. He has also struggled with wanting to distance himself from his father to prevent the prophecy and staying close to make best use of the time and fight directly against the prophecy. He has kept this knowledge to himself.

2) Kuj is torn about the promise his son shows. As any good father would, he wants Carrick to accomplish more than he has, but Carrick is the only remaining family he has, so he wants to keep his son close.

3) Carrick has given much thought to what might happen after the Rite, but as he doesn't know what the results would be or what the Seer might say, he hasn't made any plans. He's hoping that whatever the Seer says will somehow smooth things over with Kylia's parents. But if not.....he has a fretful decision to make - give up his love of fishing and being with his father for the woman he loves? Or perhaps Kylia would be willing to work the harvest with them, hard and hazardous as that may be...

4) We'll go with her not being picked by the Seer.
Dec 3, 2015 4:05 pm
It seems most people have an idea on their characters and what they'd do mechanically (sort of) anyone need someone else for a connection?
Dec 3, 2015 4:07 pm
I don't really have a connection to any of the other PCs at this point
Dec 3, 2015 4:25 pm
You make them at character creation (Tie in/connections vary by what you picked in character creation for your character options) plus we're all from the same place so it could be any PC I guess if we can storyrig it up. I went with Needs no Weapon and I picked Triat since she has an affinity to a specific weapon from her story so it made sense and I don't use any, being the daughter of the regional peace keeper we knew of each other (don't know each other as friends) since I often got into trouble (other side of things as one of the peace breakers) also it's up in the air if she thinks it's odd or weird, looks at me with disdain, since I don't think I need a weapon to do things.
Dec 3, 2015 4:39 pm
I need a connection. Someone needs to know something secret about my mechanical parts (keep it clean here folks).

The book suggestion is "a keyword that shuts down your parts", but I don't really like that one. Other ideas?
Dec 3, 2015 4:45 pm
My connection is supposed to be that one of you has shown promise with my chosen weapon (swords) and I am trying to teach them. They may be willing to learn or not, up to them.
Dec 3, 2015 4:47 pm
Maybe it's a sequence on a panel that's normally hidden or instead of shuts down its puts parts into Maintenance mode, I figure you trust someone with the secret so its a failsafe "In case I can't control my arm and a flame thrower pops out and starts burning up stuff to this...".

Also did you read up on the special healing? Part of your pools will need to be repaired I think since you're partially machine I think.

If you wanted to go a different route for the connection, someone in the group when they help repair you it feels 'good' compared to normal, you have no idea why or how you really feel about it.
Dec 3, 2015 4:50 pm
Naatkinson says:
My connection is supposed to be that one of you has shown promise with my chosen weapon (swords) and I am trying to teach them. They may be willing to learn or not, up to them.
Lets run with that. My character is inquisitive and always looking for new training and interesting people. She is also partially shunned by the community at large, so would be happy to have some companionship, even if it is just training.

She was born with bony ridges instead of lower arms and legs. Her mechanical parts are comprised of nanites that she has learned to control enough to form arms and legs around these bony ridges, so she would also be somewhat fascinated to learn hand to hand combat techniques.

I'm at a loss about the "secret". The book made it sound like the mechanical parts could be secret; like the character is hiding their nature, but I think this character in this community would have a pretty hard time of that. So I am looking for other ideas. Open floor to anyone.
Dec 3, 2015 4:55 pm
Works for me, I'm training Tuk in the ways of the blade. Maybe he's taught me the strengths and limitations of his mechanical parts so that I can better incorporate it into the way I teach? This requires an incredible amount of trust as it means that it's all too easy for me to disable them if I wanted to (which you know I never would).
Dec 3, 2015 4:56 pm
How about this: There is a key phrase that will cause all of the nanites to come apart form their current configuration and absorb into the character's skin. So, she can hide her mechanical parts, but reveals the extent of her physical mutations in the process.

Anybody want to be that connection?
Last edited December 3, 2015 4:57 pm
Dec 3, 2015 4:58 pm
I understand the dislike of the "shutdown code" for the mechanical parts. It takes away agency in a way that could ruin your fun. I liked Remnants idea of someone being better at repairing you. Another thought I had was maybe the janitors are coded to never work on or around something. Like how the Green Lanterns had issues with yellow for a while, or the original Lantern couldn't affect wood. Perhaps your annoyed fall apart in the vicinity of a rare metal or certain energy signature?
Dec 3, 2015 4:59 pm
Friar_Tuk says:
How about this: There is a key phrase that will cause all of the nanites to come apart form their current configuration and absorb into the character's skin. So, she can hide her mechanical parts, but reveals the extent of her physical mutations in the process.

Anybody want to be that connection?
That's a good one too. The mutation makes people fear you, the nanites hide it most of the time.
Dec 3, 2015 5:01 pm
I'd totally take that connection :)
Dec 3, 2015 5:04 pm
foolsmask says:
Perhaps your annoyed fall apart in the vicinity of a rare metal or certain energy signature?
I like this one too. A certain form of energy disrupts the nanites and causes them to come apart from their current configuration. They don't necessarily get disabled; they may reabosrb into the skin, they may recombine into an unpredictable form, or they may even partially detach from her body and reform as a separate entity for a brief time.

I need to post her full background, but the short version is that she is physically mutated, but found some sort of artifact by accident which contained these nanites. The nanites fused with her body and, over the course of years, she learned to control them and make them take the forms she wanted.

This has a couple ramifications: She can function just fine without the mechanical arms and legs; she just can't stand upright or grasp anything as she has no hands or feet, just bony spines. Secondly, she has no idea of the origin of these nanites. That could come up in any number of ways; these are mysterious artifacts of the Ninth World that have permanently (as far as she knows) bonded with her body.
Last edited December 3, 2015 5:04 pm
Dec 3, 2015 5:05 pm
Naatkinson, you choose. The one I came up with or the one inspired by foolsmask. Let me know.
Dec 3, 2015 5:06 pm
Let's roll for it!
Last edited December 3, 2015 5:24 pm

Rolls

FM 1, FT 2 - (1d2)

(2) = 2

Dec 3, 2015 5:11 pm
Ok, so that makes it the energy signature. I like it. Allows a lot of potential plot points to come up. Here's how we found out: we were away from town in the hills looking for a secluded spot to do some sword practice, when a "storm anomaly" passed overhead. This aberrant storm cloud was emitting a high pitched keening sound and glowing with a purplish light. In that moment, my character lost control of her nanites and they gushed out into squirming, whirling tentacles. The could passed quickly, and she was able to get the nanites under control after a few minutes.

For foolsmask; use and/or alter that as you like. The could could be a remnant of a past society, and other artifacts from that same society may emit similar energies. Or, feel free to remove the cloud and replace it with whatever maguffin you'd prefer :)
Dec 3, 2015 5:29 pm
My connection is that 'I have strong emotional connection with another PC and can change the color of the light I create in their presence.' anyone want to go with that?
Dec 3, 2015 5:33 pm
I'm up for it, my PC is mostly indifferent but in that maybe it makes him a good listener so you feel comfortable talking about whatever you want to around him since Pha doesn't judge. How's that sound?
Dec 3, 2015 5:42 pm
njohn858 says:
My connection is that 'I have strong emotional connection with another PC and can change the color of the light I create in their presence.' anyone want to go with that?
How old is your character? Mine is around 16, thinking this may be able to tie in with my background.

Kveit's mother died in childbirth. The bony spines she has in place of arms and legs cause massive blood loss. Kveit's father wanted her killed as a monster, but someone saved Kveit and gave her into the care of an elderly woman in the local mutant "ghetto". Perhaps your character as a child heard she was going to be killed, and stole the infant from her crib. Seeing her deformities, he took her to the local mutants to be cared for.

(Note: Kveit's father and this elderly mutant woman are going to be two of my NPCs, they will be included in my background post, coming soon)
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.