Chapter 1: The Letorneau Plantation

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

load previous
Dec 7, 2015 2:49 pm
The boy raises an eyebrow, "Aengus, eh? What do you need with him and his?"

The system basically says: if the action is challenging and/or if it there could be an interesting difference between success and failure, then there should be a roll. In physical scenarios, this is easy to assess. In social scenarios it (to me) depends on what you're trying to do, which isn't always obvious from the RP. That's why I said when RPing, if you have a specific goal in mind, state in in green and we'll make a roll. Because if you have a goal, then there is an interesting difference between success and failure! One thing that may take some getting used to is that in this system is that the GM doesn't decide the backstory of every NPC ahead of time, but in reaction to the results of rolls. Things like 'what side of the coin this kid is on' are shaped by the result of rolls (a possible consequence of this check may be that he's actually a snitch).

Thus, there's a roll involved here. A Charm 1 roll.

You get +1 for Connected, and given you description I'm also giving you +1 for Intense and +1 for Brawny
There will also be a -1 Circumstance penalty (he's suspicious and looking for opportunities to improve his circumstance)

Thus, your net roll is Charm +2 at Difficulty 1
Dec 7, 2015 2:53 pm
Roger that, I was curious how things went since Aegus is a person now that wasn't in the story before, he's based off some of us knowing people or families at the plantation but that seems kosher and within the limits of my PC to state and create which was a concern, basically I was curious if we are allowed or can we make up stuff on the fly if it makes sense for the story with some sense of boundaries. I guess I'm going with the pair of 5s?
Last edited December 7, 2015 2:56 pm

Rolls

Charm Roll 6 (Charm 4 +3 -1) - (6d6)

(315524) = 20

Dec 7, 2015 2:57 pm
Lynch's intense gaze and sheer size quickly shock the determination out of the boy and he breaks their matched gaze, turning his eyes to the ash at his feet, "Yeah. I know him. He's been assigned to work the stables. It's around the westside of the house. Careful though, the guards are thicker around the house than they are around the fields. Skaa working the stables have a red rope belt they wear. A would-be rebel tried to steal a horse last month, and after whipping everyone that knew him they made it harder to hang around the stables without belonging there."

That's a result of 5 with no nudges. Success, with an outcome of 4! Very good.

And yes, players are also able to create story content just as you have done. The only restrictions is players shouldn't create story content that dictates outcomes (or, at least, you shouldn't expect your story content to dictate outcomes. If you describe Aengus as an old friend, that's fine, but that doesn't mean he'll be friendly -- outcomes are determined by the dice, and by the narrator)
Dec 7, 2015 3:29 pm
"Thanks Mate, How's the old sod been? Still angry I take it? Also for the warning as well I actually appreciate it..." Lynch stated a bit gentler sizing the younger man up and digesting the younger man's words with a clipping of his arm with a meaty fist gently before busying himself with the work at hand before eyeing Hiram to see if he caught the conversation. The two would have need of getting their hands on red rope belts to blend into the stables or sneak around with the risk of getting caught, this would also mean random innocents on the plantation would bear the brunt of their folly as well if they messed which is something Erstwhem didn't want. They'd need to know where to get their hands on said belts probably and the talk of a would be rebel sparked his ear as well.

"Any chance you could point us to some people not assigned tot he stables today that have these red rope belts on them? Also what's the word on what happened to this would-be rebel after the attempt? He still alive? And did you know any of the people that got wiped because of him?" he asked in a more casual voice still low though in tone. The young man didn't know Lynch but he did have information that could be helpful although not what they were here for. It also gave Lynch a chance to get a read on the kid especially about the rebel if he talked.

He'd have to figure out a way to scratch the Young Man's back maybe to get more information. "I figure you probably want something in return for talking though so let's hear what it you had in mind and I'll see what I can do. I'm somewhat resourceful some of the time. Name's Lynch by the way, you? " Lynch added the realist and jaded outlook on life bleeding through finally getting more into the brass tacks of the conversation, few things were free in life. He'd pay what he could for what he could get though if it was doable.

(OoC: Trying to see if I can get more information out of him since he was somewhat friendly, I figure he would want something in return though by this point since it's more than just general stuff he'd be telling me and he's given some decent intel so far I think so I'm trying to establish a deal/rapport with him for more intel. And a possible side quest with the 'rebel' unless that was a red herring.)
Dec 7, 2015 5:02 pm
Hiram had joined those hauling the sacks of ash from the end of the rows to the wagons, where they dumped them before returning with the empty sacks for another load. It was a mindless job, and Hiram appreciated the purity of the hard, physical labor. Well, as pure as the labor could be when it was done under the threat of a whipping. He nodded at Lynch as he passed, giving a slow wink indicating he had overheard the information about the red belts. As he upended the sack into the wagon, he feigned coughing on the stirred up ash and rubbed his eyes, waiting for another laborer to draw close. He gave a hand lifting the heavy sack over the edge, and as they headed back to the fields, he asked in a quiet voice, "So how poorly do they treat the skaa here? If something were to suddenly go missing, how bad would the fallout be?
Dec 7, 2015 5:18 pm
The skaa smiles weakly, "Thanks. You new? Don't think I've seen you around." She looks around nervously, checking to see if any guards are watching, "It's a whipping for talking and not working. They like to punish relatives for crimes, not culprits. Depends who did it I guess, and how important it was."

@Lynch, that's another check - Charm 1, but this time no bonuses or penalties. Your change in approach doesn't use, or go against, any of your traits. Fortunately, it also removes the complications as the boy feels less threatened.
Dec 7, 2015 5:30 pm
(OoC: Fair enough. Since I'm still learning I go for the pair of 4s I think no?)
Last edited December 7, 2015 5:31 pm

Rolls

Charm Roll 4 (Charm 4) - (4d6)

(4543) = 16

Dec 7, 2015 6:29 pm
The boy lowers his voice to barely a whisper, "Dell and Lorna, they normally work the stables but they've been unable to work since Dell had his ankle broken and Lorna her wrist. They were whipped for the theft. Guard captain got a little eager with them. They'll be in their hut." He provides sufficient details about the arrangement of the skaa homes that you're certain you could find it, "The thief though, he's good and dead. Strung him up, and just before he died suffocating they beheaded him."

You don't need to 'pick' dice - your result is always the value of the highest pair. So in this case, it is indeed a result of 4.
Dec 7, 2015 6:48 pm
Nodding Lynch's hand rubs over the scruff on his face, mostly using his large hand to hide his jaw as it set and he ground his teeth. It wasn't right. He didn't like it but it was part of being at the bottom with the dregs floated in the gutter of society. His glanced flashed to the guards in the area his nostrils flaring his mouth in a partial snarl behind his hand.

With a sharp intake of breath he moved his hands away his face now slightly covered in ash and tried to calm himself, blind rage never did much in the long run. "Thanks for letting me know... now what would you want of me?" Lynch stated staring at the younger man the implication in his voice meant he was willing to do something dark and violent if need be as long as it was within reason.
Dec 7, 2015 9:41 pm
The boy shrugs his shoulders, then looks up, the spark of determination back in his eyes, "I want to leave. When you go, take me with you."

Inside the House - Mateo
The guard leads Mateo down the hallway and into the main chamber of the house. It has a vaulted ceiling and two staircases, one along each wall, curving up to a central balcony overlooking the main entrance of the house. Two guards stand on the inside of the entrance doors, and they nod in deference to you as you enter. The guard gestures to the stairs and says, "That leads up to the families quarters. You'll spend much of your time in the Lady's study where the ledgers are kept, so I'll spare you the redundancy and show you the rest of the house." He turns and leads you across the space into the opposite wing that you just came from. This part of the house has several guest chambers and a room for entertaining guests.

Mateo may make a Wits 2 check as a 'careful observation; as I'm sure during the tour he is keen to notice things that aren't being pointed out.

Also Dezire has 3~4 beats worth of signifiant actions to take while alone in the room.
Dec 7, 2015 9:55 pm
Mateo follows the guard slowly, taking his time to pay attention to what the guard makes a point of showing, and more importantly, what the guard fails to mention. He takes note of the general floorplan and where guards are positioned. I must admit, I am pleasantly surprised at how well maintained this place is. I had expected something more rustic. You should be proud of your work here.

Wits 2 for careful observation

Rolls

Careful observation - (5d6)

(33342) = 15

Dec 7, 2015 10:01 pm
After weighing over where to stash the boy along the way to keep him out of what they were doing in case something happened he nodded, "Done, what do you go by? And where are you going to be?" Lynch asked scanning for Hiram. Once he got the information from the boy he'd saddle up in sight of HIram and work so Hiram knew were he was, once he saw Hiram noticing him in his site he'd motion to his waistline with one hand and trace from his hip to his front to pull up his trousers and back to his hip before looking at the position of the sun. They'd be stopping soon, he'd go back to work until Hiram was done, they'd need to get the belts, and a talk with Aengus on the goings on here. In the meantime he'd busy himself with the work and watching around him, helping those that seemed close to fumbling due to fatigue and exhaustion...

(OoC: Did I just recruit a possible sidekick?)
Dec 8, 2015 6:56 am
Dezire of course has no intention of staying put. She makes a perfunctory attempt at unpacking Mateo's pack by placing out a change of clothes, a ledger and some ink and quills. Putting her own pack down she retrieves her lock picks and misting vial. Sh waits long enough for everyone to get out of ear shot and sneaks out. Her goal is to map the house and identify any likely locations for keeping the journal the crew seeks. Additionally, Dezire looks for ways out of the house so she can meet the rest of the crew later.

::I imagine a Physique check is called for, but I don't want to roll to may dice. I figure my Drive to be the best thief, my profession, specialty and prop might all help, but I'll roll once Candi approves.::
Dec 8, 2015 8:56 am
In the Fields - Lynch and Hiram

The boy smiles at Lynch, then quickly subdues the expression, "I'm Farrel. I work this field most days. In the evening I'm in the skaa village with the others."

Might have!

Inside the House - Mateo
The guard stands up a bit taller, "We do our best, what with the ash and the difficulty of transporting things from the city. It's the rigid discipline, I think. Gets more, better quality work out of the skaa." He points to a closed door, indicating that it's a storage room. Guards are positioned at the entrances to the house, and several regularly walk around to keep an eye on the servants who are scurrying about. On the walk Mateo noted that the guard had not pointed out a door in the corner of the audience chamber. When pressed with a polite enquiry he declared that it 'leads to the basement', as if that settled the matter.

Inside the House - Dezire

Dezire, deciding that the coast is clear, steps out of the room into the hallway and begins to carefully explore the interior of the house. Moving as quietly and carefully as she can manage...

Physique 2, +1 for Drive, +1 for Profession, +1 Prop; -1 Circumstance (frequent guard patrols, and skaa servants are nervous about being punished for other people's actions) so Physique +2 vs Difficulty 2
Dec 8, 2015 3:18 pm
I'll wait for Hiram to finish up what he was doing.
Dec 8, 2015 9:08 pm
Candi says:
The skaa smiles weakly, "Thanks. You new? Don't think I've seen you around." She looks around nervously, checking to see if any guards are watching, "It's a whipping for talking and not working. They like to punish relatives for crimes, not culprits. Depends who did it I guess, and how important it was."
Hiram nodded. He was well aware of the risk they were creating for the rest of the skaa as they sought to steal the notebook. He continued to work alongside her, and when they had some distance from guards, he quietly said, "I and a few others are new. I don't expect us to be around long, but when we leave, I don't want any skaa to be punished. I know they're all bad, but are there any especially cruel guards? As someone may need to be held accountable for our actions, I'd rather it be one helping them than one of you."
Dec 8, 2015 9:25 pm
::rolling for stealthing::

Rolls

Sneaking & Lurking - (6d6)

(536152) = 22

Dec 8, 2015 11:42 pm
Inside the House - Dezire

Dezire skulks into the hallway and follows a guard patrol carefully through the house. In the wake of the guard she doesn't have to worry about the careful eyes of skaa servants, or the attention of guards other than the one she is following. This allows her to easily scan the house and identify possible escape routes - windows mostly, the doors seem to all be well guarded. She manages to creep upstairs and get a look into the rooms there. There is a large bedchamber, a restroom and a study. The study is mostly tidy, with books on the shelves, a ledge on the desk, and papers neatly ordered about. She tries the drawer and finds the desk is locked. Her intuition tells her that she has, at most, a few minutes before Mateo returns to the room...

Result of 5, Outcome of 3 with 1 Nudge. I've spent your nudge to make your prowl of the house take 1 less beat, affording you the opportunity to maybe do a bit more... thieving ; ). For the sake of expediency, if you get a nudge and succeed on the roll, edit your post if you have specific ideas of how you might like to spend it. Just think of the little ways that the outcome could be particularly advantageous, or things you would like to happen. If you don't, I'll just spend the nudge for you (normally it's a negotiation, but in this format that could make things take much longer).

You have 1 Beat before Mateo is back in the room. Picking the lock will be a Wits 2, +1 Prop, +1 Drive, +1 Profession, +1 Specialty should you choose to do so.. might make you short on time if you don't roll favourably though.

In the Field - Hiram and Lynch

The skaa worker furrows her brown and looks at her feet...

Hiram, Charm 1. I'll grant +1 for your Drive, but -1 Circumstance (the skaa is visibly frightened, and the conditions in the plantation are such that fear of punishment is a strong motivator to turn people in, especially 'newcomers' and 'troublemakers')
Dec 9, 2015 12:10 am
Dezire thinks for a moment about what would be the best course of action. Returning makes sense, but she's here now. She starts when she looks down and finds that her hands have started working on the lock without her concious thought. Well, since I'm here...I guess. It might be harder to get back here later.

Surprising herself again, the lock pops open after only a second. She got lucky and tripped the lock in the exact right order. She quietly begins rifling through the desk looking for the ledger the crew is looking for.

::I'm using my success and the nudge to get as much time as I can, either finding what I need right away or to be positive it isn't kept here.::
Last edited December 9, 2015 12:16 am

Rolls

Lock picking the desk - (8d6)

(55211316) = 24

Dec 9, 2015 5:07 am
Candi says:
Hiram, Charm 1. I'll grant +1 for your Drive, but -1 Circumstance (the skaa is visibly frightened, and the conditions in the plantation are such that fear of punishment is a strong motivator to turn people in, especially 'newcomers' and 'troublemakers')
I have a 4 in my Charm Attribute....does that mean I roll 4d6? or just 1d6 due to your note about Charm 1? (I'm a bit confused on how the rolls are calculated)
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.