Chapter 1: The Letorneau Plantation

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

load previous
Dec 9, 2015 5:45 am
Charm 1 means that the difficulty of the Charm roll is 1. You would roll your Charm, plus and minus the Circumstance modifiers (net 0 in this case), and hope to get double-1s or better.
Dec 9, 2015 5:49 am
That makes sense. Thanks!

Rolls

Charm 4 - (4d6)

(2263) = 13

Dec 9, 2015 6:39 am
Inside the House - Dezire and Mateo

Rifling through the drawer Dezire finds a notebook, but not the one she was looking for. It has notes describing what must be experiments with metallic alloys. Having skaa mistings of some kind ingest the alloys and attempt to burn it (a necessary course, as digesting metal typically results in poisoning). She doesn't have time to read carefully though. Pocketing the book, Dezire closes the drawer and gets out of the study. She sneaks down the stairs, back into the east wing and slips into the bedroom.

Moments later, the guard and Mateo enter, "If there is anything else you need, just ask."

I can't make an action take less time than 1 beat, but I can have you arrive in the 'nick of time'

In the field - Hiram and Lynch

The skaa worker looks back up to Hiram and leans forward, "If you're here to cause trouble, it'll be us that bears the burden. Those most likely to have done what you did will be tortured and blamed." She starts to walk away, carrying on with her work, then turns back, "It's the guards, mostly the captain, and the lady of the house, who see to the whippings." offering an answer to Hiram's question. SHe continues, "While I should give you over to them to spare us the burden of your actions, I won't. They'd likely beat me too anyway."

That roll is a result of 2, which is greater than or equal to 1 so you succeed. You also got a 6, which is a nudge. Nudges can be spent to give yourself small benefits. As I noted before, if you get a nudge and have an idea of how you'd like it spent edit your post and let me know in green text. Otherwise, to speed things up, I'll spend nudges for you when I post the resolution of your action.

In this case, your nudge keeps the skaa quiet.
Dec 9, 2015 7:07 am
Mateo bows his head in thanks to the guard and dismisses him for the night. He closes the door and his demeanor immediately changes, becoming more relaxed and open. "Did you find the book?" he asks hopefully. "If not, there's a basement that the guard was rather closed-lipped about."
Dec 9, 2015 12:34 pm
Tossing a few more sacks Lynch eyes Hiram wiping his face with a handkerchief to get some of the ashen grim free, "That didn't seem to go to well... We done here?" he asked behind his veil. See other workers moving bags he'd help toss a few were they need to go if he saw any elderly or someone struggling while he waited for a response.
Dec 9, 2015 3:09 pm
Hiram grunted, pulling his own handkerchief out as well to wipe the sweat and ash sludge from his forehead. "Yeah, I think so. Sounds like you gained us a good direction to go next. The woman I talked to is downright terrified of the nobles, so she wasn't much help. The guards keep everyone on a tight leash by threatening the families if someone steps out of line, so let's try not to implicate any of the skaa if we can help it."
Dec 9, 2015 3:24 pm
"No, I didn't find the information we are looking for. But I think I might know what is happening in the basement. Letorneau is experimenting with skaa and some new Allomanctic powers."
Dec 9, 2015 3:40 pm
"Agreed... captain of the guard though... Accidents happen. We need to get those belts. Chat wit me Mate is in order..." Lynch stated nodding.

(OoC: Unsure what we need to do to squirrel away to the houses of the injured stablehands)
Dec 9, 2015 3:54 pm
Skaa Village - Lynch and Hiram

Lynch and Hiram make their way towards the skaa village, which is adjacent to the plantation but opposite the house. As the sun gets lower the workday nears its end, and the skaa start to make their way back to the village. This makes it easier for Lynch and Hiram to do the same, as they no longer have to pause and pretend to be diligently working to avoid the ire of the guards.

It takes a little asking around, but you quickly locate the house of the injured stablehands and give a gentle rapping on the door. After a moment the door opens and you are greeted by a young man carefully balanced on one leg. The other he holds out straight, a straight bit of wood is fixed to with by a pair of cloth belts, "Can I help you?"

Say that you want to squirrel away to the houses with the injured stablehands... :)
Dec 9, 2015 5:44 pm
"I go by Lynch and I'm trying to get a hold of friend of mine named Aengus, I heard about what happened to you and the young lady so I'm not trying to get you involved in anything that would cause you more grief but do you know if he's still at work we'd like to borrow your belts if you don't mind if that's an issue let me know what I can offer to actually make it worth your time, how's the leg." Lynch states in a quiet tone after looking to the leg a bit of concern on how long it would take to fully heal or if the man was permanently crippled and would be lame for the rest of life before looking up into the man's eyes. He'll need to gauge the man to see what he was willing to do or if he was angry about his situation or not.

(OoC: Let me know what I need to roll if he doesn't tell me about his leg.)
Dec 9, 2015 6:33 pm
Hiram took the cap from his head and bowed slightly. "May we come in? My name is Hiram, and Lynch and I are new to the plantation. I know you don't have reason to trust us, but we are in need of a favor...and we'll return the favor when you call on it." While the man answered, he took the time to examine the small house, trying to gauge what kind of people they were and to what level of poverty the nobles kept them at.
Dec 9, 2015 9:50 pm
The man furrows his brown, leans out the door a little bit, glances around, then hobbles backwards, "Please come in." The interior of the hut is undecorated. A small cook fire is in the middle, a little table is up against the wall, and a small cot, just barely big enough for two people, is against the other wall. A woman is making a soup over the fire, she looks up from her work, "Shall I prepare more dishes?"

The man looks to you both and shrugs, "If you would like some food?"
Dec 10, 2015 2:20 am
Mateo raises an eyebrow. "Allomantic experiments? On skaa?" He frowns in thought for a few moments before nodding his head. "Yes. We can use this. She's not reporting skaa mistings to the Obligators. We should investigate further tonight."
Last edited December 10, 2015 10:47 am
Dec 10, 2015 11:16 am
Now that you've made that inference, and I've posted about Standings and Secrets, I can tell you that you've just uncovered a Major Secret - Zara Letorneau is not reporting skaa mistings to the Obligators.. I'll create a sticky a thread that tracks secrets you guys have uncovered and indicates who knows them, and their status.
Dec 10, 2015 2:32 pm
"Thanks for the offer but personally I don't want to bother or set you back more than I need to." Lynch stated shaking his head to decline the offer respectfully. He figured the quicker he could get down to business the better, although they had known the 'would-be' rebel, he'd make a point to ask about it after finding Aengus or his whereabouts.
Dec 10, 2015 2:37 pm
The man nods and carefully sits down in one of the chairs, "What can I do ye for then?"
Dec 10, 2015 2:46 pm
"Looking for a man goes by Aengus, he's a friend o' mine. Heard he worked the stables and you did as well. Lynch stated slightly fishing in his words. He'd see where things went from there, for all Lynch knew this bloke might want to box Aengus' face in.
Dec 10, 2015 2:52 pm
The man nods, "Yeah, I know Aengus. Poor guy's had to make up fer my absence I think. He's normally in fer shoeing the horses, but I bet they got 'im cleaning the stalls now too. He lives a few doors down. I could save ye some time and send for 'im."
Dec 10, 2015 3:37 pm
Lynch looked to Hiram and shrugged since it sounded good, "If you don't mind it would be much appreciated." he stated thankful.
Dec 10, 2015 4:31 pm
The man whistles and a few moments later a young boy enters the house. He is told to retrieve Lynch's friend. A few moments later Aengus strides into the house. He's middle aged, his face and hands thoroughly worn by time and stress. Seeing Lynch he nods curtly, "Was wonderin' when you'd be turnin' up. Who's thisun'?" He nods at Hiram.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.