Chapter 1: The Letorneau Plantation

load previous
Dec 13, 2015 6:05 pm
Aengus frowns, "I dun' know what the obligators do, and I dun' much care if they're kidnappin' and killin' nobles. Maark's dead. Got caught. That's why we need red belts to be in the stables, and why our kindly hosts are injured. Guards makin' a point."
Dec 14, 2015 2:13 pm
Lynch finally smoke up the wheels turning in his head, "Most nobles have as much care for skaa as they do for the shite they have someone scrap off derr boot, that level of head-up-your-own-arseness simply breathes I'm untouchable and my shite don't stink... wouldn't take much for them sort to think some of the nobles were less than themselves in a gauge o value too.

Maark's dead because after catching and beating him, they hung 'em then beheaded him.... they were doing something for him to be desperate enough to try and escape, we don't know what happened to him.... we do know they were cautious enough though after stopping him and beating him to hang and behead him... if it was some vanilla dickery of being a Noble they probably wouldn't have gone to such extremes... Makes me wonder... what they did anyway... did they have a reason to be scared of what Maark would do?

If you know the names or what the Skaa taken inside look like let me know... Sounds like me might need to go into that house and find out what happened to em, get em out if they're alive."
looking towards Hiram and Dalisch, "Also there's a young bloke named Farrel or something round 'ere, says he wants off the plantation... he on the level or do I need to dig a shallow grave between here and the city?" he stated, his final statements part question on the young man and part vetting. Lynch didn't mind helping skaa that wanted help, he wasn't some fatherly sort that would baby him though and he definitely wasn't going to be the sort toting around a snitch for the nobles...

Lynch jaw was set wondering how they were going to get into the mansion tapping the space between his knuckles with the pad of one of his fingers as he thought.
Dec 14, 2015 11:57 pm
"We might be able to help someone escape, but I've been thinking on what else we can do. I don't know that there's much we can do. I keep thinking of "accidents" we could arrange for the nobles, or any particularly malicious guards. But I know that the Latourneau family doesn't look for evidence before applying punishment. Any attempts at sabotage would either result in reprisals on all the Skaa here on the plantation from the Latourneau family, or, if it got large enough - like if we burned down the house - there'd be reprisals from the Obligators investigating a major revolt.

Daclish chews his lip for a few moments. "But this waiting for the others is difficult."
Last edited December 14, 2015 11:57 pm
Dec 15, 2015 12:48 am
"Too bad we can't just make all the Skaa up and look gone...leave piles o' ash in 'heir beds to get 'hem Nobles thinking like a lot o nutta'z what happened... then they'll only have themselves to slap around..." Lynch muttered looking at the other two... considering how many people were on the plantation that would be a disturbing difficult feat to pull off but it would be pretty amazing to pull off.

"Do we need to go looking for the others? I don't think they'd know where to sneak to out here...it'd be easier to figure out where they were and go to them if you think 'bout et." Lynch added with the remark about the others in the crew.
Dec 15, 2015 1:50 am
Daclish turns his blue eyes back onto Aengus. "How about it, Aengus? Is there an official way for field hands to visit the house? Another set of sashes? Or can we pass a message to the people inside? We have a few codes we've worked out beforehand..."
Dec 15, 2015 9:22 am
Aengus lets you talk it out a bit before replying, "Ferrel is a good lad. Probably better livin' your life than ours, as he's likely to get 'imself into trouble 'round here. As fur gettin' into the house, only the servants are allowed in, and they all live in the house. No skaa go in or out, except by will of the nobles."
Dec 15, 2015 9:01 pm
Nodding Lynch changed the line of questioning, "Well in that case do you know where a guest would be staying inside the house the Noble of the house wouldn't want to tick off?"
Dec 16, 2015 1:53 am
Working quickly Dezire starts working on the lock. Hearing the quiet click as the lock opens on the basement door, Dezire can't help but give herself some quick silent praise for being so good at her job. Dezire grabs a candle in case she needs some light and slips through the door before anyone catches her.

::Kind of wish I had some other goals so I could make use of how nice those dice treated me. So that is a success of 3? Claiming my 5s against the difficulty of 2::
Last edited December 16, 2015 2:02 am

Rolls

Lock picking the basement door - (7d6)

(3453525) = 27

Dec 16, 2015 2:18 pm
Aengus rubs his chin, "I might know someone."

Lynch, can you roll an influence challenge at difficulty 1; +1 for Aengus' trait 'Well Known', +1 for your own Connected and +1 Circumstance; then spend an Influence.

The stairs descend into the dark and into a small chamber. Three doors lead from here, one on each wall. In the main room there is a table with two chairs near it. A few cards are scattered on the table, as are the remains of an evening meal.

Yes, that's an Outcome of 3. Outcome is used by the GM to determine the results of tasks that can have 'degrees' of success. In this case, Outcome 1 I had planned to get you through the door as a guard entered, Outcome 2+ was flawless. It's nudges, which are 6's, that let you add details or find clever ways to support yourself.
Dec 16, 2015 2:32 pm
Lynch nods, "If you say he's on the Leval lets meet 'em and get done to it." Lynch adds, night was only so long and they still didn't know what the others had found out.

(OoC: Spend means I reduce the score on my sheet right after the roll right? Is it permanent or later on do we get a chance to spend an XP like resource or rest up between adventures to recoup lost stats?)

Edit: XP Guess I'm taking the three 3s with a nudge.
Last edited December 16, 2015 2:33 pm

Rolls

Influence Check 1 (Influence of 5+3 total bonue die) - (8d6)

(33465223) = 28

Dec 16, 2015 7:06 pm
"Let's go then. Thanks for dinner." he nods to the other two skaa then leads the three of you out into the village. The mists are particularly thick tonight. They dance about, swirling and flowing like some amorphous living blanket smothering the world in the depths of night. Most skaa are afraid of the mists, superstitious. They avoid them, keep their doors and windows sealed tightly to keep them out at night. Your current line of work, however, has required you to overcome that superstition - if ever you had it - as the cover of darkness is a boon not to be sacrificed because the mists settled in.

You are lead to another house on the other side of the village, and politely asked to wait outside. You do as asked and remain quietly concealed by the swirling mists. A few moments later Aengus comes back out, "Says they keep guests in the east wing. Also, took care to mention that there's a servant entrance around the back. It's not guarded because it's locked. It will get you into the house, then you'd need to find your way through the main chamber and into the east wing. It's usually locked, but he gave me a key he got his hands on when his wife was taken a few weeks back." He hands Lynch a worn iron key, "Said he hasn't the courage ta' use it, best put it in the hands of those who will."

Yes, you reduce the score by 1 after you roll. You recover 1 in each standing every day, and fully recover spent standings during a long breather (ie. a long break in the story during which characters recover, and do unexciting normal life things). Your nudge got you the key.
Dec 16, 2015 8:19 pm
Daclish nods his thanks, and clasps Aengus' arm in gratitude. He is eager to get going, get in the house, find the others, find the notebook, get out of the house, get Ferrel, get into the stables, and get away. It's foolproof!
Dec 17, 2015 5:05 pm
Nodding to Hiram Lynch takes the key from Aengus and bangs his downward fist into the man's shoulder, "If things go south have a good laugh at the crow on my corpse." Lynch smirks before getting ready to make it to where they needed to for access into the house. One the other two were ready he'd make his way through the mist.

(OoC: Let us know if we'll need to be rolling stuff in the mists. Change the background music to something spooky!)
Dec 18, 2015 2:52 am
Dezire listens intently for any noise down in the basement. If she hears none, she starts with the door on the left, moving quietly. She tries the door handle gently in case someone is on the other side.
Dec 18, 2015 1:52 pm
Outside the House - Lynch, Declan, Hiram
You follow the pathway through the skaa village until its edge. You can barely make out the glowing torches that line the house's balcony through the thick swirling mists. Guided by the faint glow, you approach the house then divert around the back as Aengus had instructed. There you find an unguarded door at the rear of the building.

Giving you a chance here to chat a bit before you go into the house, assuming you want to chat

In the Basement - Dezire
Dezire hears a faint whimpering coming from behind the door as she eases it open. Inside is a small chamber, and a young woman is strung up on the wall, her arms in manacles. Her dirt covered face is dampened by tears. When Dezire enters, the woman's eyes go wide, and she starts crying, "Please. Please no more."
Dec 18, 2015 2:19 pm
Handing the key off Lynch pulls a two handed wooden mallet and slowly rocks his neck from side to side and rotates his shoulders.

"Eyes and ears..." Lynch whispered.
Dec 18, 2015 9:07 pm
Hiram moved to the door and pressed his ear against it to listen for any sounds on the other side. No sense popping through the door only to find a wandering noble waiting for them.
Dec 18, 2015 10:59 pm
Daclish shakes his head as fantasies of setting booby-traps for the nobles spring up once again. *NO! Stick to the plan. Finding the others comes first. Hopefully they will know where the notebook is already...*

Taking the key from Lynch, he prepares to open the door. "Do you hear anything?" he whispers to Hiram.
Dec 20, 2015 5:52 pm
OOC: Do I need to roll to hear anything?
Dec 21, 2015 2:15 pm
Hiram leans up to the door and listens carefully. Hearing nothing, he puts the key in the lock and turns it. It quietly clicks open. The door swings inward and leads you into a narrow hallway with a door every three or so feet. These are probably the servants quarters. The hallway continues for forty or so feet. Standing at the end of the hallway, silhouetted by the flickering candle light in the room beyond, their back to you, is a single guard.

No, I've been sick and busy and haven't had a chance to advance any of my games that I am running
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.