Chapter 1: The Letorneau Plantation

load previous
Dec 21, 2015 2:48 pm
Lynch motions to the guard with a glance at the other two before looking down at the large hammer in his hands... Lynch wasn't big on sneaking. "Oy, should we see which way he's going first?" Lynch whispered to the other two. If the guard got closer it'd make collapsing the man in one swoop a lot easier...
Dec 22, 2015 4:27 pm
Hiram quietly ducked through the doorway and stole down the hall toward the guard's back. In a quick motion, he clamped one hand over the guard's mouth and locked the other around his throat. As the guard struggled and began to lose consciousness, Hiram ducked back down the hallway toward the others, dragging the guard with him.

OOC: Not quite sure what I need to roll for this. Might even need to do two rolls...one for stealth and one for subduing him. I'm thinking I may want to flare pewter to make it easier, but at the same time, because we don't have a copper-cloud, I don't want to give ourselves away....
Dec 23, 2015 12:32 am
"Who are you?" Dezire asks. She scrutinizes the woman before approaching too close. She needs to play this right. She recognizes that this woman is being tested for Misting Powers, but how she handles this will depend on whether this woman is Skaa or Noble.
Dec 23, 2015 2:04 am
In the Basement - Dezire

The woman continues sobbing, "Heidi. Please. No more. I'm not a misting. Please." It is clear to Dezire by the way the woman talks that she is skaa.
Dec 23, 2015 2:25 am
"No need to worry dear. I'm not here to hurt you. My friends and I are here to find something. If we can help you too, we will. We know what has been going on down here and we will put an end to it. First however, we need to find a ledger, a book, with details about Skaa dissident activities. We need to know what the nobles here know. Have you heard anyone talk about such things?" While she speaks, Dezire does what she can to comfort the woman. She brings her water if there is any in the room. Then wipes the sweat and filth from her face. She inspects the shackles, careful of any injuries the prisoner may have sustained. "I'm afraid we can't go until we find what we are looking for."
Dec 23, 2015 3:21 pm
Dezire finds a jug of water and offers some to the woman. She drinks deeply. The shackles are heavy and iron. It would take a great deal of strength, or the key, to get her free.

"But you'll get me out? Oh please. I haven't heard them say anything about a book. All I know is that they feed me metals, and then a man sits in a chair and watches me. They take notes, then they beat me until I retch. There were others." She glances around, and Dezire notices two more sets of shackles, empty, "They're gone now."
Dec 23, 2015 4:02 pm
In the House - Hiram, Declan, Lynch

Hiram surges forward in a sudden burst of speed and wraps his arms around the guards neck and begins to apply a choke...

To recap -- you need to roll 10 dice and have 1 free nudge...

EDIT, you're probably getting exactly what you want as the guards result is 0 with 2 nudges.

Rolls

Guards Resist Roll - (5d6)

(36264) = 21

Dec 23, 2015 4:10 pm
OOC: Roll to attack/disable guard

Rolls

Attack/Disable the Guard - (10d6)

(4212535241) = 29

Dec 23, 2015 4:22 pm
The guard barely resists Hiram's pewter fuelled choke, and quickly goes limp as his consciousness drifts away. It was a risky maneuver, as most pewterarms struggle to control their application of strength, but Hiram manages to disable and not kill the man. He drags the guard back towards the rest of the group and lays the guard down on the floor. The pewter's influence fades and Hiram feels weak and vulnerable again.
Dec 23, 2015 4:37 pm
"Easy Mate..." Lynch starts realizing what Hiram just did once he was back dragging the body. "We know where they 'ave Santiago 'old up. What next? We can make it that way to meet up. Hiram you want to take a load off and sit down as a guard for a bit?" Lynch stated adding a either brilliant idea or a very bad joke. A meaty hand reached out for the unconscious guard to search him before tossing him on a shoulder and looking to the others.
Dec 23, 2015 6:19 pm
The guard is wearing a chainmail shirt and has a polished short sword on his hip. He has nothing else of note.

The hallway you are in leads into an open chamber. To the right a swinging door goes to what is probably the kitchen, on the left is another hallway lined with doors and straight ahead an open archway leads towards a yet larger open chamber - probably the main entrance hall of the estate.
Dec 24, 2015 4:02 am
"Nah - I'm good. Let me just tie and gag him so he won't surprise us later." Using the guard's bootlaces, belt, and socks, Hiram secured the unconscious man and took his sword and sheath.

Looking at the exits from the chamber, Hiram commented quietly, "I don't think we'll find anything of use in the kitchen, they probably leave alone. Wouldn't want to rub shoulders with the skaa or anything. Should we take a look down this other hallway or make for the entryway?"
Dec 24, 2015 6:39 pm
"I promise I will do what I can. I can't risk letting you out yet though. We have to find that other book. If I don't come back for you it means I'm dead, and I died trying to get back here." Dezire feels a pang of guilt because she doesn't really mean that, she will try to come back for her, but she probably won't let herself get killed in the attempt. This woman doesn''t mean that much to her.

She begins searching the rest of the basement.
Dec 24, 2015 7:15 pm
"Please..." the woman pleas as Dezire leaves the room. The door opposite the stairs leads into a room the same size as the cell. A few book shelves have been placed here, there is a desk, ink pots, piles of blank parchment and notes. A quick skim of the notes confirms that they are experimental reports. Mostly they contain information on alloy creation, the stability of the alloys and tests on traces of metal.

The third room has a workbench that is covered with lab equipment. There is an apparatus filled with water connected by hoses and clamps to a burner than sieve system. It looks like it would be used to extract trace metals from the water.
Dec 29, 2015 5:13 am
Dezire hurries up the stairs. She pauses a moment in hesitation, feeling sorry for the woman below, but she has a mission right now. Carefully she opens the door and prepares to sneak back to Mateo's room to tell him the news.

:::Same stealth check or has the commotion with the guards changed things?:::
Dec 29, 2015 5:29 pm
Dezire makes it back to the obligator's chambers without event. The guard movements are like clockwork, and she's already snuck around them once this evening.

Around this time, Mateo sits back in the chair and sighs heavily. While his search has turned up some documents that will make his work the following day more efficient, he failed to turn up the journal they were searching for. His eyelids feel heavy and the weight of a day of travel, and a tiring search of the office, begin to wear on him. Knowing he'll have plenty of time to continue his search the next day, he leaves the office and returns to his chamber. There he finds Dezire, waiting to share with him news of what she found in the basement.

I think it's fair to use the same check - nothing has changed yet, the commotion hasn't drawn attention ... yet. Mateo, you're back in the game!
Dec 29, 2015 5:47 pm
Mateo enters the room and notices Dezire. He holds up a hand to forestall any words and sits down on the edge of his bed and rubs his eyes wearily. After a moment, he looks up. "I hope you've had better luck than I have."
Dec 29, 2015 5:50 pm
"I guess whatever gets us closer to the Santiago..." Lynch states quietly while looking around.

(OoC: I figure we were told the general layout for where the inspector would be roomed.)
Dec 30, 2015 3:03 am
"No, the basement did not have the information we are looking for. However there is a woman down there. They are experimenting on her with different alloys and metals trying to activate misting powers. They are torturing her, she's barley alive. Just as that other notebook indicated. If the Lord Ruler knew of this he would likely wipe out this whole line and burn the manor to the ground. But we can't use that information until we have recovered the information about the Skaa resistance. And I don't know where else to look."
Dec 30, 2015 4:39 am
Mateo nods gently. "I'll give the office another look in the morning. I'm too tired to see straight at the moment."
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.