Chapter 1: The Letorneau Plantation

load previous
Jan 11, 2016 4:47 pm
Dezire explains the best path to the basement and the guard patrols as best she can. "It might be a struggle to keep her quiet. She was beaten pretty badly, but I'm sure she won't intentionally cause you trouble."
Jan 12, 2016 6:36 pm
"Another day it is. Although I have to be honest, I'm not looking forward to another day of hauling ash!" He moved to the door, "Do you think we'd escape notice if we left the guard in the hallway soaked in spirits? Or should make him disappear? If the latter, I'll take care of the body by weighing it down and just dumping it in the canal."
Jan 13, 2016 5:25 pm
"I think he needs to go away. He might be able to identify you, or they may believe he was attacked. Either would result in our job getting harder. A deserter raises the fewest questions I think. As long you cover your tracks well."
Jan 15, 2016 3:48 pm
Guest Quarters - Dezire and Mateo
With a semblance of a plan together, the group splits again. Dez and Mateo remain in the room, discussing whether or not they should investigate the Lady's room tonight, and how they will approach it. There's a good chance the night is the best opportunity, as during the day not only are guards about and more alert, but there are also servants tending to this and that; then again, they've already taken a lot of risks doing the investigation that they have, and luck may not be on their side all night...

Skaa Entryway - Lynch and Hiram
Lynch and Hiram, skulk back out into the hallway and traces their path back to the servant entrance they came through. They find the guard still lying unconscious on the floor and are faced with their last task at the house for the night: dealing with the guard they knocked out.

Basement - Daclish
Daclish, determined to make a difference as soon as possible, follows Dezire's instructions and makes his way into the basement without detection. There he finds what Dez had before - a central room with a plain wooden table and three doors leading from it, one in each wall. The left door opens into a small chamber where a skaa woman, bruised and beaten, is chained to the wall. The right door leads to a chamber with lab equipment on it. The central door leads to an office of sorts containing a desk strewn with papers and shelves of books.
Jan 15, 2016 4:54 pm
Mateo sat on the edge of the bed, looking at Dezire. It seems that events are moving far faster than I had anticipated. Sneaking and burgling are your expertise. How would you tackle the Lady's room?
Jan 15, 2016 10:09 pm
Hiram knelt next to the limp body and slung him onto a shoulder. He stood and left through the servant's entrance, checking to ensure no one was outside watching. As carefully as he could, he hurried across the grounds, keeping to the shadows. When he arrived at the edge of the fields, he had to pause and catch his breath, but as soon as it was under control, he quickly traced the path to the nearby canal.

He placed the guard on the ground and started looking around for large rocks. He figured the mail shirt would be enough to sink the body, but he didn't want to take any chances. He felt a twinge of guilt about killing someone in cold blood like this, but he had to remind himself that had it come to a scuffle in the house, he would not have hesitated. So why would this be any different? Besides, the guard may as well have been noble scum, and one less noble in the world would leave everyone better off.
Jan 15, 2016 10:18 pm
"Let's go for a walk. I'll go in and you serve as lookout. If anyone comes by, speak up and I will hear it and hide. If need be you can say I wondered off and you worry about where I may have gone."
Jan 16, 2016 5:29 pm
Very good. Let us head out while we still have time.
Jan 16, 2016 9:09 pm
Hiram (maybe Lynch) - Outside
Hiram throws the body over his shoulder and steps out into the misty night. He burns pewter ((I debated between asking you to make a roll or just making your burn a charge of Pewter to carry the man, and remain quiet while doing it. Decided on pewter burning. Spend 1 charge.)), and as he does so the mists gather around him and swirl about his limbs like a child with many ribbons spinning about a pole during a festival. He carries the guard through the plantation and to the edge of the canal, a dozen yards or so from a small dock where barges probably load and unload goods to and from the plantation. As he prepares to do the guard in, he notices lights flickering at the dock. It's odd for there to be a shipment now, especially on such a misty night. Squinting he sees only three figures, and their boat is hardly a dingy.

((Lynch, it's up to you if you are with Hiram, have gone to the basement with Daclish, or are doing your own thing))

Dez and Metao - Noble's Room
The skaa and obligator make their way down the hall and back to the second floor. The guard patrols notice them, but upon seeing Mateo don't even acknowledge that they have passed. The two arrive uncontested in the noble's room. It is immaculate. Not a speck of dust on any surface. The bed is a large four-poster, and sits in the middle of the room. A wardrobe is on one side and a mirrored desk with a chair on the other.
Jan 17, 2016 3:28 am
(OoC: More likely I'd have gone to carry the body which would have been easier I think for me. Also to make sure the body is gutted nice and proper right before we dump him so he doesn't resurface later due to bloating.)
Last edited January 17, 2016 3:28 am
Jan 17, 2016 3:47 am
Mateo silently gestures to the wardrobe and the rest of the room while he heads straight for the desk. He pauses to examine the desk from a distance before moving in closer, looking for anything that might indicate an attempt to hide or protect something.

Rolls

Wits rolls for searching the desk and immediate area around it - (5d6)

(22114) = 10

Jan 19, 2016 2:01 am
Hiram cast a worried glance upstream toward the dock and whispered to Lynch, "Do you think we should dump him and run? Or see what's going on first? There's a chance those could be slavers and we could sell him..."
Jan 19, 2016 8:23 am
In the basement

"Shh...don't worry. I've come to get you out of here." Daclish will inspect the lock, hinges, and anchors for the manacles binding the skaa woman, to try to find a point of attack on the chains to release her.
Last edited January 19, 2016 8:24 am
Jan 19, 2016 3:52 pm
Basement - Daclish
The woman nods and remains quiet. While the metal itself shows rusting, the guards here have made a point of maintaining the important parts. The lock and hinges are well oiled and maintained. The anchors, which are steel bolts that have been driven into the stone wall, depending on what kind of anchors they are, might be strain under a good strong pull. He figuresthat with the right angle, and a bit of precision, he might be able to loosen an anchor with an ironpull... of course, if he pulls too hard he'd succeed but kill himself embedded the anchor into his chest...

If you go this way, I'll need you to spend a charge of iron and make an ironpulling roll - that's a pool with size equal to your rank in misting - iron!
Jan 19, 2016 6:02 pm
Dezire moves to the desk and begins systematically going through the drawers trying to keep everything in order to cover their tracks.

:::Can I claim Profession: Con Artist & Thief on the grounds of knowing where to look for secret things? I will roll 4d6 for wits and add a stand alone d6 role for Profession. If you rule it doesn't count, so be it and we will just work with what I get on the first roll.:::
Last edited January 19, 2016 9:44 pm

Rolls

Wits for searching - (4d6)

(6161) = 14

Profession (if it counts) - (1d6)

(4) = 4

Jan 19, 2016 7:30 pm
In the Basement

Daclish says "I'll be back in a moment to get those off of the wall..." and tries to ignore the fact that getting the chains off of the wall won't be the end of their problems while he steps into the library to grab a couple of large books to use as a shield. Then he returns to the cell, calculates the best position, braces himself, and reaches out with his misting...

(OoC: as he activates his misting ability, he will be conscious of other metal in the area...such as keys, if any have been hidden around, or torture implements that he might use as levers if this doesn't work. He doesn't expect to find keys, honestly, but hope is irrepressible.

I don't know the difficulty; shall I roll my five dice after spending 1 iron anyhow? Would my Specialty of "Crafting mechanisms expertise" and/or my Profession of Tinker grant an additional die?)

Edit: Spending 1 iron, and rolling dice.
Last edited January 20, 2016 8:18 am

Rolls

Allomance + Tinker trait - (6d6)

(664636) = 31

Jan 19, 2016 8:14 pm
Dezire, make a Wits roll please. You can just edit the post and add it in, but post in the OOC discussion thread once you do so I know to look again.

Daclish, when burning iron the first thing that happens is you will see faint blue lines that go from your chest and out to each metal object within range of your 'metal sense'. The thicker the line, the larger/heavier the metal source. So, yes, as soon as you start burning you'll be able to detect all metal in the area. You won't be able to tell from these blue lines what the object is, only that it's metal and 'how metal' it is, and where it is (because the faint blue lines always travel *directly* to the metal source). I'll grant you +1 for your Tinker profession as you're trying to 'unmake' something. It's not a mechanism, so your crafting expertise isn't going to help.
Jan 21, 2016 2:26 pm
Basement - Daclish
The allomancer gives a solid heave on the anchor, but finds that it is, well, firmly anchored into the wall. His initial inspection was wrong, and the thing isn't budging anywhere. He's as like to tear the stone out of the wall before the anchor comes loose (note: a charge of iron lasts 20 minutes, and as beats are only about a minute long for you right now, you can still make use of your iron for a while)

Bedroom - Dez and Mateo
Between the two of them they find a small notebook hidden in a well concealed compartment underneath the dressing table. Dez works the small lock quickly and within the find a notebook. It's contents are written in some kind of code, but it's clearly an important item to Lady Letorneau for it to be stashed in such a secure, and well hidden place (Dez, I spent both nudges to auto-pick the lock).

Canal - Lurch and Hiram
Glancing towards the activity at the dock, Hiram notices that there are only a few men and a small boat. They seem to be unloading barrels of some kind from the boat and placing them in a small cart. A single horse stands at the ready to haul the cart, presumably back to the plantation house.
Jan 21, 2016 3:27 pm
"One or three slaves makes no difference to them probably... we're better off dumping the body, less loose ends but we'd best make it so it doesn't bloat and rise again once sunk..." Lynch admits quietly watching the scene unfold before pulling a small knife and dropping to position his body over the guard's motioning for Hiram to help hold him down. "They'll make things odd for Dez and Santiago...worse for Daclish though... if we can hurry up made we can get ahead of them and muck the road up a pick to slow that cart." he adds his face hard ready to do a bit of dirty work literally.
Jan 21, 2016 3:42 pm
In the basement

Daclish sighs, then grins. "Well, if it was easy, anybody could do it! Let me see what else I can find..."

He proceeds to walk slowly through the three rooms, using his metal sense to find objects. Is there anything in the desk? Are there pliers, irons, picks, knives, other torture devices that might serve as levers to pry out the bolts or the plate that they hold? I guess he just takes inventory of all the items he can find...
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.