Chapter 1: The Letorneau Plantation

load previous
Dec 30, 2015 7:55 am
In the Servant's Quarters

"Well, Aengus said we need to move through the main chamber and then into the East Wing. This is probably still the servant's part of the house. There was a guard; I suspect he was guarding something from the servants, preventing the lowly Skaa from getting the nobles' floors dirty. So let's go that way..." He looks at Erstwhem. "Ah...you have your hammer. I'd feel a lot better with that guard's blade in my hand."
Dec 30, 2015 4:07 pm
Hiram shrugged, "Fine by me. Let's head toward the entryway then. He watched Daclish eye Erstwhem's hammer and offered the shortsword he had picked up, "Here you go. I'd just as soon use my fists anyway. Judging by the amount of metal that guard was wearing, it's unlikely they have a Lurcher or Coinshot around."
Dec 30, 2015 4:23 pm
Hiram, Lurch and Declan quietly move into the larger chamber, and into the east wing. By sheer luck, the guard patrolling the halls is on the other side of the house as they move through the area. As Mateo and Dezire are discussing what they know, the other three members of their team open the door and quietly shuffle into the room.
Dec 31, 2015 4:19 pm
Mateo looks up blearily. "Ahh. Good timing. What news?"
Jan 1, 2016 4:18 pm
Hiram moved to the bed and sat down, "Not a lot. Seems the nobles are especially skittish of the skaa right now. They've restricted who can access the stables and killed a boy for being where he wasn't supposed to. The rest of the skaa are weathering it the best they can, but I don't like the atmosphere around here. Something strange is going on. Oh, and I subdued a guard on our way in tonight. He's bound and gagged back where we entered. We should probably do something about him before he's discovered." He looked back and forth between Mateo and Dezire, "What have you discovered?"
Jan 1, 2016 5:37 pm
"Letorneau has been experimenting with new metals on skaa mistings. She is currently holding one prisoner in the basement." Mateo hides a yawn behind a hand before continuing. "We have not yet found our objective, but I will be making another look in the morning. How do you intend to deal with the guard?
Last edited January 1, 2016 5:37 pm
Jan 1, 2016 7:04 pm
"We 'eard of Nobles sneakin' about the skaa village watchin' em. Certain ones got taken to this 'ouse n no one seen or 'eard from em since so that explains where they're going. Boy they killed they say's 'e was a rebel doing the revolution bit, skaa say 'e just wanted to escape after being half beaten to death 'nd was desperate to try to steal a horse to boot in dat condition... Also someone was recently dragged in when no on was lookin' wasn't a skaa though too clean... So maybe a noble... might be your guest in the basement. And I 'ave a bloke wants to pop off from 'ere when we leave without being beaten, hung, and cut off at 'is 'ead. If 'e hasn't woken up yet maybe we can put 'em back in da chair when we leave. If not, there's ways to hide a body..." Lynch added with a shrug towards the end.
Jan 3, 2016 3:55 pm
Mateo shakes his head softly. "Do with him what you will. Just keep it quiet. I don't want any of the fuss making my job more difficult."
Jan 3, 2016 4:43 pm
"I don't know if we should be collecting strays though. It is going to make it hard to leave with extra people in tow. Don't make any promises. If we could I'd just burn this whole plantation to the ground and let everyone go, but that isn't a plan we can work, nor is it our objective. As to the woman in the basement, she looked like a skaa to me. and there wasn't another prisoner. So I don't know where this other guest could be."
Jan 5, 2016 5:43 pm
Hiram shrugged, "Think we can steal the notebook tonight? Then douse the guard in alcohol on our way out, leaving him to be found? The story'd be he drank too much and fell asleep. Then tomorrow, Mateo and Dezire can cover our tracks and do whatever Obligatory service they're here to do."
Jan 5, 2016 10:08 pm
"We don't know where the notebook is. That's the issue. We found plenty of dirt to get this whole place raised to the ground by the Lord Ruler, but not what WE need. If we bolt tonight we fail in our goal. If there are people that need to leave though...maybe some of us should get them out, the woman in the basement for example.
Jan 6, 2016 3:21 pm
Lynch shrugs, "I guess if we offer t' get 'er out we can ask if she's seen or 'eard anything, freedom is a good motivational tool in loosening a tongue... 'ave we checked the Noble in charge's office and bedroom? If it's really a choice tasty bit like we think it stands to reason they'd 'ide it so they don't end up strung up outside and killed...If I was a proper bastard I'd hide it so even me Gran couldn't figure where I stash it." he adds looking to the others. He's up for taking the skaa woman and the others out on an escape if possible and doable now.
Jan 6, 2016 11:58 pm
"I think we need to get what we came for. How many places remain to check out? Have you narrowed it down to places like their personal rooms? If so, we might create a distraction tonight, to rouse them out of their rooms. But I don't think we can help skaa or this prisoner escape without raising a lot more alarms and ruining our chances of getting the notebook..."
Jan 7, 2016 3:07 am
"I've searched both the study where one would expect it to be kept, and the secret lab in the basement. I already offered freedom in exchange for information to their prisoner. I genuinely believe she doesn't know anything." She paces, thinking for a moment. "A distraction sounds to dangerous...even if we had access to their private rooms, we wouldn't know where to look. I think more time is what we need."
Jan 7, 2016 5:55 am
Agreed. We need to maintain our cover and stall for time. I can keep the investigation running longer if we need more, but it'll be hard to search the place if the guards are more alert than they are already.
Jan 7, 2016 2:57 pm
"Well there's the Nobles room where almost no one but them would go into on a regular basis and the always complicated hidden room or storage slot." Lynch added looking at Daclish to confirm the notion. "If you have a name I guess we can find out among the skaa if she's from here or not which would be valuable to know in a way. Maybe lean up against others that want her free for intel about the house in exchange for taking her out of here. Besides I guess it's hard to pay attention to other things if you're being tortured, passing out from being tortured, or coming to from being tortured. For now I guess we'll wait." he continued frowning, they had found out a bit but they weren't done... so in a way he felt like they hadn't gotten anything done yet.
Jan 7, 2016 3:21 pm
Daclish explains about the red sashes they've acquired for their getaway, then asks "Is there any help you want from us inside the house now?"
Jan 7, 2016 7:47 pm
Mateo shakes his head wearily. "Just deal with the guard as quietly as possible. At this point, the less I know the better. I'd rather not have to lie about it."
Jan 9, 2016 8:31 pm
"If Letorneu is out...I suppose the ledger might be hidden in her chamber. I could try to get up there. You lot could get the guard downstairs and free the prisoner. If alarm is raised, or I find what we need we can make our escape. It is risky though."
Jan 11, 2016 4:25 pm
Steeling himself for the work ahead, Daclish revives a bit at the thought of further action (spending 1 spirit to keep going). While he has no sympathy for guards who support the nobility, Daclish's priority is definitely on freeing a tortured Skaa. "Point out the best way to the basement. I'll...we'll get her out."
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.