1.1 - The Wyr River: Into the Earth

load previous
Feb 4, 2015 12:14 pm
So many Fumbles.... a GM's dream... sometimes. PMs on the way.
Feb 4, 2015 12:33 pm
grandmaster says:
Osred fumbling every first interaction with a new player will become a tradition.
Since I already failed to live up to my descriptor and my focus, I'm accepting suggestions on how to fail as a Jack.
Feb 4, 2015 12:47 pm
Qralloq says:
Khoren shuts down the artifact, and stows it away securely. It may be the only way out. Drawing two punch daggers, he hunkers into a stealthy crouch. Making eye-contact with each of the others in turn and a giving a slight nod to each, he leads the way toward the east, senses keenly focused for impending danger.
Wifts of stench drift on the air, air that should be still. As you pass the intersection into the east, a slight commotion is heard behind you. You turn and see a young woman rush into the rest of your party. She has a hand on the hilt of a curved blade and the other holds a glow globe, set on its lowest setting and offering dim light. While dirty, she does not appear to be one of the mud men.

You turn again to the east, listening, searching. There... that stench again. Focusing ahead in the eastern tunnel, you see a glow and hear the sounds of footfalls. One, two, three, 4 5 6.... you think you hear 6 people. The sound echos and it is hard to tell.

About 50 yards ahead, a man appears, then a second... they came from the right, appearing out of the wall. Then a third, holding a light stick. You see in the shadows dancing ahead an archway on the left, and the two in front continue walking. The third turns around, looking from where he came. He lifts his hand and makes a gesture. A forth man enters your sight, pulling on a rope. As he approaches the arch, you see a creature being led, rope around its neck. As it approaches the arch and the third man, it lashes out. The person holding the rope tugs tight, preventing it from reaching his comrade. One of the first two steps back into the intersection and points a device at the creature. It wails in pain and crumples to its knees.
Feb 4, 2015 12:50 pm
KNaranek says:
grandmaster says:
Osred fumbling every first interaction with a new player will become a tradition.
Since I already failed to live up to my descriptor and my focus, I'm accepting suggestions on how to fail as a Jack.
Since this fumble is player interaction, I have sent a PM to the person you are trying to interact with giving him suggestions. Ultimately, the decision shall be his.
Feb 4, 2015 2:31 pm
Beset from both sides, I hope she isn't an enemy. A fight would draw and alarm these others and their ... captive. Khoren looks around with shaded eyes for signs from the insects, but the light is too dim. He sheathes a dagger and exercises some small hedge magic, making his cloak flutter gently as if in a soft zephyr. Feeling better, he turns back towards the intersection.

Khoren backs up slowly, near the side of the tunnel, and whispers "There are about 6 men ahead, and they're leading and controlling some kind of a creature that seems to hate them for it." Trying to catch the eye of the cloaked woman, he wraps his own cloak around him to obscure his own outline, and approaches a step closer. "New woman, we mean you no harm, but we're hunting mudmen who slaughtered the rest of our company. We need to know if these people are friendly, or should we set up an ambush at this juncture?" Under the cloak, he adjusts the grip on his punch daggers, warily eyeing her weapon.
Feb 4, 2015 4:50 pm
Kaizival says:
"I don't like people who don't mess with my head. Next time, you lose yours," the woman sbarls. Her grip tightens on the hilt of her sword. "Now answer me, with no mind games. Who are you?"
Darazen bristles at the response. Speaking in a whisper he says, "Really? You are out numbered and you want to start a fight? Relax, put your weapon away and we will be good. In case you haven't noticed we are in a tense situation here, we are trying to be quiet, which is why I spoke to you silently. There's no time to explain who we are. Either join us as a friend or be on your way. Either option we won't harm you. Attack us, and you won't be the only problem we have."
Last edited February 4, 2015 4:51 pm
Feb 5, 2015 12:01 am
Hearing what Khoren has just observed, Utazó turns her attention away from the mysterious woman and slowly works past Khoren to keep an eye on things behind the others. We're wasting time with this woman while we should be figuring out what the hell is going with those men that Khoren saw - she mutters to her self as she crouches down, hand on the hilt of the captain's old sword.

She is not actively doing anything here, just keeping on eye on things as the others tend to the new arrival.
Feb 5, 2015 12:11 am
The woman grasps the situation with a slight blush. (whispers) "Okay, okay, you lot just startled me!
Well now that we're friends, any bright ideas?" She nervously smiles, then fully draws her elegantly curved blade. "Because the mudmen were behind me last I checked."
Last edited February 5, 2015 12:15 am
Feb 5, 2015 1:26 am
szemely says:
Hearing what Khoren has just observed, Utazó turns her attention away from the mysterious woman and slowly works past Khoren to keep an eye on things behind the others. We're wasting time with this woman while we should be figuring out what the hell is going with those men that Khoren saw - she mutters to her self as she crouches down, hand on the hilt of the captain's old sword.

She is not actively doing anything here, just keeping on eye on things as the others tend to the new arrival.
You work your way up to where says he was. A man enters the archway and foots falls are fading. He stops and turns, looking back the way he came, then turns north and then south. He is staring right at you, or at least in general direction.

(Speed check 1D20, how stealthy are you?)
Feb 5, 2015 1:56 am
Khoren, Yui, Osred and Darazen: As things start to calm down, you realize that there is no longer a glow coming from the south tunnel. You are hearing a clicking sound, skittering and a sound like something is being dragged, but no footfalls.
Feb 5, 2015 2:16 am
grandmaster says:
You work your way up to where says he was. A man enters the archway and foots falls are fading. He stops and turns, looking back the way he came, then turns north and then south. He is staring right at you, or at least in general direction.

Utazó freezes in place, trying to keep as still as possible...

Rolls

Speed Check with one level of effort. - (1d20)

(11) = 11

Feb 5, 2015 2:28 am
szemely says:
grandmaster says:

Utazó freezes in place, trying to keep as still as possible...
He looks right past you, waits a moment or two and then turns into the arch and disappears.
Feb 5, 2015 2:36 am
(whispers) "sounds like insects..."

I'll listen closely and hope I pick any other sounds up...

(intellect roll to listen)
Last edited February 5, 2015 2:41 am

Rolls

1d20

(14) = 14

Feb 5, 2015 2:42 am
Her curiosity piqued, Utazó will work her way slowly towards where Khoren first saw the men, carefully inspecting her surroundings as she moves. "I'm just going to take a peek up ahead a bit and see what I can find."

Rolls

Intelligence Check (just in case one is needed as she's inspecting) - (1d20)

(13) = 13

Feb 5, 2015 3:15 am
Kaizival says:
(whispers) "sounds like insects..."

I'll listen closely and hope I pick any other sounds up...

(intellect roll to listen)
Indeed, the chittering reminds you of young Slicer Beetles, and from the sounds of it, there must be two or three in the cavern. You also know there is more room to move around in there, and the sound might not carry as far.
Feb 5, 2015 3:20 am
szemely says:
Her curiosity piqued, Utazó will work her way slowly towards where Khoren first saw the men, carefully inspecting her surroundings as she moves. "I'm just going to take a peek up ahead a bit and see what I can find."
You get closer to the arch, hugging the walls and embracing the darkness. There is no sign of movement, even the footfalls have died. The paths to and from the archways are definitely not natural, and the path is smoother, more worn, and there are no discernible tracks.
Feb 5, 2015 3:42 am
grandmaster says:
You get closer to the arch, hugging the walls and embracing the darkness. There is no sign of movement, even the footfalls have died. The paths to and from the archways are definitely not natural, and the path is smoother, more worn, and there are no discernible tracks.
No harm in looking a little further I suppose... and then, back to the others.

Utazó will work her way carefully into the arch and follow the path for a short distance. She moves slowly, lightly dragging her hand along the right side of the corridor, more to keep herself oriented in case she needs to make a quick retreat than anything else.
Last edited February 5, 2015 3:42 am
Feb 5, 2015 3:46 am
szemely says:
grandmaster says:
No harm in looking a little further I suppose... and then, back to the others.

Utazó will work her way carefully into the arch and follow the path for a short distance. She moves slowly, lightly dragging her hand along the right side of the corridor, more to keep herself oriented in case she needs to make a quick retreat than anything else.
Working you way into the tunnel....

i need two rolls, a speed roll for stealth and an intellect roll for perception
Feb 5, 2015 3:49 am
grandmaster says:
i need two rolls, a speed roll for stealth and an intellect roll for perception
That's it for me tonight. Having a good time with this!

Rolls

Straight Stealth Roll - (1d20)

(10) = 10

Straight Intellect Roll - (1d20)

(3) = 3

Feb 5, 2015 4:42 am
Darazen nods and whispers to Kai, "Glad to have you along. But you came from the south, and you saw mudmen that way, with the bugs?"

It seems that there are threats all around them, but at least the girl has calmed down, and now there's only two to deal with.

Noting Utazo and Khoren are scouting to the east, and there appears to be insects to the south, Darazen decides prudence is wiser than valor. Tensing to react, Darazen continues to monitor the southern noises, hoping they don't approach, while staying alert to a signal from the scouts.
load next

Thread locked