1.1 - The Wyr River: Into the Earth

load previous
Feb 5, 2015 5:22 am
Yui nods and flicks some mud off her cloak. Alert, Yui examines the chamber, while examining Darazen and Osred (whats he up to?) out of the corner of her eye. Her hands seem drawn to handholds in the wall.
Last edited February 5, 2015 5:24 am

Rolls

Intellect-examine chamber - (1d20)

(13) = 13

Intellect with skill-examine Darazen and Osred - (1d20)

(5) = 5

Feb 5, 2015 2:12 pm
szemely says:
grandmaster says:
i need two rolls, a speed roll for stealth and an intellect roll for perception
That's it for me tonight. Having a good time with this!
You cling to the wall, to the shadows without issue for about 25 yards. There are scraps, bones and trash at the edges, pushed and kicked aside. The tunnel starts to turn northward, going down further. Any further and you may lose sight, contact with your party.
Feb 5, 2015 2:29 pm
Khoren considers the situation for a moment. His intuition tells him that this crossroads in the tunnel is a precarious base of operations.

In a low voice, Khoren says "It seems we're safe for a minute or two. We have a few options. The mudmen decimated our caravan before anyone could mount a defense using blowgun shaped numenera. We could go that way, " he continues, pointing south, "and attempt to take them down fast. We could go that way," pointing east, "if we think they are controlled by those men and we want to disable the men first. Or we could go the other way, perhaps in hopes of finding better weapons."

"Does anyone have any hunches of which way to go?"
Feb 5, 2015 2:39 pm
Merlin says:
Darazen nods and whispers to Kai, "Glad to have you along. But you came from the south, and you saw mudmen that way, with the bugs?"

It seems that there are threats all around them, but at least the girl has calmed down, and now there's only two to deal with.

Noting Utazo and Khoren are scouting to the east, and there appears to be insects to the south, Darazen decides prudence is wiser than valor. Tensing to react, Darazen continues to monitor the southern noises, hoping they don't approach, while staying alert to a signal from the scouts.
The scouts have disappeared from sight, but they do that, using the shadows and nooks to make themselves invisible,mst you are not too worried, especially since no alarm has been sounded.

Yui looks over the others, sizing them up. "Sorry for the confusion, I ducked into this southern cavern after being chased by these 'mud men'. I threw a glow stick and an old dagger I had found down a tunnel", she says pointing to where the archways are, "to make some noise and throw them off. I thought it had worked. But then I heard the chittering behind me in the cavern and noises from out here. If those are slicer beatles....I thought my odds would be better out here. With all of you here, we could probably make short work of these insects. Follow me."

With that, Yui edges around the edge and into the south cavern.
Feb 5, 2015 3:24 pm
Darazen follows Yui to the south and signals the remainder of the group to stick together.

Not really knowing what to expect, Darazen start to sort through his memories for types of insects, and particularly the aforementioned "slicer beetles". He hopes to recall something about them that might give them a combat advantage. After all, Darazen is hardly a front-line fighter.

Rolls

Intellect check with knowledge skill, trained, no effort - (1d20)

(6) = 6

Feb 5, 2015 3:28 pm
Encounter:

In the southern cavern, there is a small Slicer Beetle nest containing two youths. Each is about 7 feet tall/long. There is no sign of the adult.

Slicer Beetles 5(15)
Slicer beetles shed their tough carapaces three times during their lives. In the first two stages, these creatures look like well-armored, six-eyed beetles with front piercers designed to slice through flesh, bone, and most types of armor. They grow to nearly 12 feet (3.7 m) high in their second stage.

http://www.numenerajournals.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/slicerBeetle.jpg

Health: 15
Damage Inflicted: 5
Armor: 3 (Physical Only)
Movement: Short
Combat: Slicer beetles are the kings of piercing and tearing, using their pointed front legs to stab through and rip into flesh, bone, and armor. Young slicer beetles deal 5 points of damage, adults deal 7 points of damage, and wizens deal 10 points of damage.
Additionally, each time that a slicer beetle successfully attacks, the victim must make a level 5 Speed defense roll or his armor is torn apart and destroyed.

1D20 Roll Intitiave

To determine who goes first, second, and so on in a round, each player makes a Speed roll called an initiative roll. Most of the time, it’s only important to know which characters act before the NPCs and which act after the NPCs. On an initiative roll, a character who rolls higher than an NPC’s target number takes her action before the NPC does. As with all target numbers, an NPC’s initiative roll target number is three times the NPC’s level. (Corebook: page 90)
Feb 5, 2015 4:46 pm
Osred readies his sword.

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20)

(13) = 13

Feb 5, 2015 5:18 pm
Darazen takes a step back in astonishment when he sees the two beetles. (ooc: Ringo and George, he thinks. only joking). He had read about these monsters, but nothing prepared him for seeing them in real life. Seven feet long, even for a baby, is pretty gigantic when you see how ugly and threatening they are, mandibles and all. **I'm going to have to take notes if we survive this. The company might be interested in the information.**

He states to the group, as he readies for battle, "Careful, they bite, and they are heavily armored." Darazen backs off, not wishing to engage in melee, but draws his punch dagger just in case.

(well, at least my initiative reflects my actions... and at least it wasn't a one!)
Last edited February 5, 2015 7:37 pm

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20)

(2) = 2

Feb 5, 2015 5:46 pm
Khoren readies his punch daggers and prepares to charge into melee.

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20)

(17) = 17

Feb 5, 2015 10:43 pm
Damn, looks like they're gone.

Fighting her urge to continue searching the tunnel any further Utazó decides it's time to rejoin the group. Unaware of the new developments that have occurred in her absence, she turns around and slowly starts walking back towards the others.
Feb 5, 2015 10:58 pm
szemely says:

Fighting her urge to continue searching the tunnel any further Utazó decides it's time to rejoin the group. Unaware of the new developments that have occurred in her absence, she turns around and slowly starts walking back towards the others.
Speed roll, please
Feb 5, 2015 11:05 pm
grandmaster says:
szemely says:

Speed roll, please

Rolls

Straight Speed Roll - (1d20)

(9) = 9

Feb 6, 2015 2:17 am
Yui quickly sheathes the katana and draws a dagger located above the former's scabbard. "We should try to hit the eyes, as they are unarmored. If you can distract them, I can try to hit em'!"

(OOC: Has anyone read my post in the Q + A for this game? I think it would make the game a bit more fun. Thanks!)
Last edited February 6, 2015 2:23 am

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20)

(4) = 4

Feb 6, 2015 3:33 am
szemely says:
grandmaster says:
szemely says:

Speed roll, please
As you head back, you see something that you missed on the way in, a light beam across the floor. It is tiny and a very deep red, but it beams from the edge of one wall to the edge of the other. You are not sure if you tripped it (broke the beam) on the way in; but then again, if you had, wouldn't someone be there to check it out? You carefully step over it and make note that it is there. Watching for more, you see none and make you way to the southern cavern.
Feb 6, 2015 3:42 am
grandmaster says:
As you head back, you see something that you missed on the way in, a light beam across the floor. It is tiny and a very deep red, but it beams from the edge of one wall to the edge of the other. You are not sure if you tripped it (broke the beam) on the way in; but then again, if you had, wouldn't someone be there to check it out? You carefully step over it and make note that it is there. Watching for more, you see none and make you way to the southern cavern.
Has she found the others yet? I'm assuming she'll have to wait a round or two before joining in the fun with the slicer beetles.
Feb 6, 2015 3:55 am
R:1 - Khoren charges into battle, daggers drawn. He makes a quick observation of the rocks, foot holds and such in the room and decides where it would be best to spring up from. He gets just within springing distance. You will be able to leap into an attack next round.

R:1 - The beetles rear up slightly, but do not move forward. Raising their piercers, they appear slow. The chitter increases to a higher pitch, surely trying to draw attention from something. Seeing Khoren as easy prey, the nearest one tries to leap forward, but is held back.

R:1 - Orsed, your action? Then Utazó (who is still moving back to for two rounds), Yui and last Darazen.
Feb 6, 2015 4:07 am
Darazen is slowest to react, but focusing his mind to bypass armor he attempts to harm a beetle through a mental onslaught (2 damage bypassing armor if successful).

Rolls

Onslaught, mental only, with effort - (1d20)

(13) = 13

Feb 6, 2015 6:02 am
Yui hotheadedly tries to rush around the beetle that is focused on Khoren, hoping to take advantage of it's distraction, and then climb up its back and then stab it in it's unarmored eyes with her dagger and a previously hidden forearm blade (dual wielding)

(GM, I don't know how you want to split up this action, as I don't think it would be fair to do all of the above in one round if Khoren can only run forward in his round, so for now Yui is trying to run around the giant beetle, preparing to rodeo it.)
Last edited February 6, 2015 6:07 am
Feb 6, 2015 10:28 am
Osred sees Khoren up to something and decides to wait to attack together.
**Darazen, wait up. Let's go all at once.**
Feb 6, 2015 12:03 pm
Kaizival says:
Yui hotheadedly tries to rush around the beetle that is focused on Khoren, hoping to take advantage of it's distraction, and then climb up its back and then stab it in it's unarmored eyes with her dagger and a previously hidden forearm blade (dual wielding)

(GM, I don't know how you want to split up this action, as I don't think it would be fair to do all of the above in one round if Khoren can only run forward in his round, so for now Yui is trying to run around the giant beetle, preparing to rodeo it.)
Thanks.....it will indeed be two actions to do that. An action is usually 5-6 seconds long. I will post the actions and results like above.
load next

Thread locked