Chapter 2, Day 11

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

May 30, 2016 12:37 am
You wake to find the elves have prepared you a simple breakfast of local flora, fruits and dried meats. Not just enough for breakfast, but a care package of the same for a meal later in the day. When you get yourselves sorted, Killian shows you to a small canoe and teaches you how to portage it safely and to take care of the vessel. When your meal and lessons are finished, you are set on your way to Rhest. It's a long, but relatively uneventful, ride down the river towards the ruins of Rhest.

A large, dark lake broods in the marshland here, measuring nearly two miles wide. The cloying reek of decaying vegetation and swamp ooze is thick in the air, and countless frogs and insects and marsh birds chirp and croak and call to each other. Out near the middle of the lake, dozens of decrepit stone buildings just from the black waters. In most cases, these buildings sag and lean treacherously, the windows of their upper stories now even with the still lake's surface. Two buildings that seem to have survived relatively intact draw your attention-- one a large stone tower, about a quater-mile from the southern shore (2), and the other a large stone building near the lake's center (3). Both structures have rickety wooden walkways ringing them at water level. These look like recent additions, it would seem that someone has made an attempt to settle down here.

You can see a variety of streams lead into the lake. At each intersection point there appear to be huts on stilts above the black water (1).
OOC:
Overview of Rhest - you are just off the map, towards the bottom right corner
May 30, 2016 6:24 pm
Pawetha gestures to the shore to moor and conceal their boat. She suggests that they continue on foot for now. "Let's scout the area, figure out who lives in these huts, and see what can be seen in those central buildings."

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+4)

(18) + 4 = 22

May 30, 2016 6:48 pm
Pawetha narrows her eyes and examines the huts... they are rickety, and clearly not made by craftsmen. She notices a couple figures milling about the hut nearest the group, one of the two that is built where the stream they had been following meets the small lake that used to be the city of Rhest. She identifies them as lizardfolk, and they appear to be preparing nets and harpoons - probably readying themselves to go hunting in the lake.
May 31, 2016 3:35 am
"Anything that needs to be taken out? Dragons, maybe?" I've got my rapier ready to go. It's been a few days since we've been in combat (ages, really) and this trip is starting to feel a lot less exciting than I thought it would be.
May 31, 2016 3:34 pm
Zaris looks at Xara with a bothered look upon his face. "Why must it all be about violence with you Xara?" he asks in an even tone. "We really should leave it as our last resort," he adds before looking back towards the lizard folk. He tries to recall if he has read anything about whether they are a hostile race.

Rolls

History - (1d20+5)

(15) + 5 = 20

Arcana - (1d20+5)

(10) + 5 = 15

May 31, 2016 3:37 pm
"I made friends with a giant, didn't I? Didn't work out so well for him though." a momentary look of sadness crosses my face before I'm distracted by the scene in front of us.
May 31, 2016 3:43 pm
A frown crosses Zaris's face at the mention of the giant. "We owe him our lives.
May 31, 2016 4:22 pm
"You two are speaking loud enough to wake a dead centipede," hisses Pawetha. "There's no easy way to get to the center; gotta find a means to sneak in and maybe these lizardfolk are the key." She returns her focus on studying the outlying huts and the activity within.

Rolls

Nature (Lizardfolk) - (1d20+4)

(1) + 4 = 5

Perception - (1d20+4)

(15) + 4 = 19

May 31, 2016 4:38 pm
Pawetha notices some activity within the huts as well. There's more than just the couple preparing for a hunt, maybe six or seven per hut (on the map each "1" is a hut).

Zaris recalls reading about lizardfolk in his time at the academy. They are a sentient species, hunters by nature. Usually they live in tight knit tribal societies, and clans don't tend to cooperate with each other. They are, rumour has it, fond of dragons, and are willing to overlook their natural distrust of other lizardfolk clans if the other clans also serve, or more likely worship, the same dragon.
Jun 1, 2016 5:15 am
"I could run down there and check it out? Other than that, I've got nothing..."
Jun 1, 2016 7:17 am
"We should probably avoid making any new enemies." I finally offer my opinion, concerned for any unnecessary conflicts and delays.
Jun 1, 2016 12:51 pm
"I don't recall anything about them being outwardly hostile towards others, unless we are viewed as a threat." Zaris says, eyeing the motion in the huts with curiosity. He looks towards Xara. "You sneaking in sounds like a great idea; not making new enemies as Kaiakas says."
Last edited June 1, 2016 7:52 pm
Jun 1, 2016 3:40 pm
"Are they working with the Red Hand, though?" asks Pawetha. "They're all camped on the outskirts of this lake, and what we're after is in the center, either of those two tower-things. It doesn't look like they're laying siege to the place."
Jun 1, 2016 3:57 pm
"So they're here by... coincidence?" This strategerizing is giving me a headache.
Last edited June 1, 2016 3:57 pm
Jun 1, 2016 4:02 pm
Pawetha briefly takes her eyes off the lizardfolk to consider things. "Well, if they're allies, they may be acting as a guard for whoever's in the middle, Saarvith maybe. If they're not allies, there must be some sort of arrangement between them and the Red Hand, otherwise why hang around?"
Jun 1, 2016 8:59 pm
"This might just be where they ended up after being displaced during the Red Hands advance. Though it is suspicious that they seem to be either hunting or protecting something in those towers. I also don't know if my appearance will be a bain or a boon to our interactions with them if we do decide to engage in anything other than assault." Ghunril shrugs to indicate his willingness to follow the group in whatever decision is made.
Jun 1, 2016 9:06 pm
By now, the two lizardfolk who were preparing nets and harpoons have climbed into a reed boat with their fishing tools and pushed off into the lake. Two more lizards emerge from the hut and sit on the shore, feet in the water, and start mending and making more nets.
Jun 1, 2016 9:09 pm
"If we must pass by them, perhaps Xara should discover their allegiances, if any." I give a small wink to her. "And if they are not with the Red Hand, then we will seek permission to pass."
Jun 1, 2016 9:11 pm
"Let's continue to watch," suggests Pawetha. "Sneaking in is good, and diplomacy might work, but I'm getting suspicious. Notice how they don't seem cautious around the water? I'm guessing they don't have to fear from those harrowblades."
Jun 1, 2016 9:17 pm
While they're all discussing the plans, I circle down towards the water to try and get a closer look at the lizard-folk.

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+6)

(17) + 6 = 23

Perception - (1d20+3)

(17) + 3 = 20

Jun 2, 2016 11:52 am
Perhaps I can help," Zaris says, eyes still firmly fixed upon the huts in the water. "I have the ability to send a message to them, telepathically. Diplomacy is the best option, but if it comes to violence at least we will have some space between us."
Jun 2, 2016 12:27 pm
As the group discusses the best course of action, Xara slips away and creeps along the riverside towards the hut. She gets within twenty feet of it before she huddles down in the mud and thick reeds to conceal herself from sight and scent. She sees the two lizardfolk in the reed boat paddling out into the lake, now about a hundred feet out. Two others are, as Pawetha had seen, sewing and mending nets on the shore. She sees movement within the rough-built hut, two more lizardfolk are inside.
OOC:
Xara, what languages do you speak?
Jun 2, 2016 12:48 pm
I watch the lizard folk and attempt to make wild guesses as to their intentions.
OOC:
Good ol' common & elvish.

Rolls

Insight - (1d20+1)

(1) + 1 = 2

Jun 2, 2016 1:03 pm
The two in the hut seem to be engaged in conversation, but are speaking in a language Xara doesn't understand.
Jun 2, 2016 1:58 pm
While I'm out and looking around, I see if there's anything shiny...

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+3)

(10) + 3 = 13

Jun 2, 2016 2:05 pm
The only shiny things Xara notes is the glinting sun off the harpoons laying at the shore, and the knives in the hands, or on the belts, of the netweavers.
Jun 2, 2016 4:05 pm
"Just based on what we're seeing," says Pawetha, returning her attention to the hut and its activity, "I'm guessing these guys are allied with, or at least tolerated by, whoever's inside. After what we've seen, it wouldn't surprise me that the Red Hand would have lizardfolk in their ranks, and they don't look like they're being extra cautious."
Jun 3, 2016 12:14 pm
We're outnumbered," Zaris said flatly. "Hopefully Xara can gain us an advantage."
Jun 5, 2016 8:37 pm
"I'll try to get closer and listen in on what they might be saying," says Pawetha, pointing in a direction that Xara didn't take so that if she messes up, Xara won't be exposed. "Keep an eye on their activity and see if you can learn anything."

The ranger belly-crawls through the undergrowth, drawing nearer to the lizardfolk hut.

Rolls

Sneak - (1d20+6)

(6) + 6 = 12

Jun 6, 2016 2:49 pm
Crouching down among the plants, Zaris keeps his eyes trained upon the huts and the lizard folk.

Rolls

Perception roll - (1d20+3)

(20) + 3 = 23

Jun 9, 2016 3:06 am
Oh right, I'm supposed to be doing something. What did Paws want me to do again? Shit. Ok I'll keep looking around the camp. Maybe we can somehow pass through it without anyone noticing? I move closer to the huts, now away from the shore.
Last edited June 9, 2016 3:07 am

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+6)

(18) + 6 = 24

Perception- any paths to hide in? - (1d20+3)

(19) + 3 = 22

Jun 12, 2016 12:13 pm
Pawetha drops to her belly and pulls herself through muck and reed, trying to get closer to the huts. Zaris' keen eyes notice as the two lizards in the hut suddenly stop talking and look towards the door, as if something caught their attention...

Xara meanwhile, slips up to the hut and notes that it is both on stilts, a good two feet off the ground, and the area below it is thick with muck and reeds. Seeing opportunity, she quickly slips below the hut. In that moment the two lizard folk step out and jump down, landing no more than five feet from Xara's nose. They are searching the area that Xara had left the rest of the group in... maybe someone tried sneaking up and has caught their attention...
Jun 12, 2016 5:17 pm
OOC:
May I try to hide again?
Jun 12, 2016 9:59 pm
Pulling his blade loose, Zaris crouches a bit more and stares intently at the area where Paws is hiding, ready to jump into action if the need arise.
Jun 12, 2016 10:06 pm
Seeing Zaris ready himself, I draw my sword and shield, reluctant for a confrontation.
Jun 13, 2016 1:06 am
OOC:
Paws: no
Jun 13, 2016 4:20 am
A golden opportunity! I ready my shortbow and shoot at the one on my left. Then, I keep hidden and move in the opposite direction, staying hidden while keeping the other one in my sights.
OOC:
Bonus action- hide
Last edited June 13, 2016 4:21 am

Rolls

Shortbow w/Sneak Attack - (1d20+4, 1d6, 1d6)

1d20+4 : (19) + 4 = 23

1d6 : (2) = 2

1d6 : (3) = 3

Shortbow w/Advantage (assassinate) - (1d20+4, 1d6)

1d20+4 : (2) + 4 = 6

1d6 : (4) = 4

Additional Sneak Attack damage - (1d6)

(6) = 6

Jun 13, 2016 12:24 pm
"Looks like this is happening now," Zaris remarks standing from his crouch. With his left hand he pulls the polished piece of oak out and lets loose a trio of blue orbs of energy. "No time like the present," he adds.
OOC:
attacking at the second lizard folk that is not being assassinated by Xara
Last edited June 13, 2016 12:25 pm

Rolls

Magic missile #1 - (1d4+1)

(1) + 1 = 2

Magic missile #2 - (1d4+1)

(2) + 1 = 3

Magic missile #3 - (1d4+1)

(4) + 1 = 5

Jun 13, 2016 4:35 pm
"Into the fray we go..." Ghunril looses a spear at the lizardman Zaris aimed for and advances trying to line up the remaining lizardmen for a breath attack.
Last edited June 13, 2016 4:36 pm

Rolls

Spear throw - (1d20+5, 1d6+3)

1d20+5 : (18) + 5 = 23

1d6+3 : (4) + 3 = 7

Jun 13, 2016 10:00 pm
Just realizing the crossbow slung across my back, I exchange weapons and move to get a better shot.
OOC:
Since I'm so far away, I'd like to use the Dash action if possible. I know moving may be my action for a few rounds.
Last edited June 13, 2016 10:09 pm
Jun 15, 2016 6:00 pm
Pawetha suppresses a curse. One of the others back there must have done something to get them spotted. Maybe it was Kaiakas with his shiny armor; gotta get him some weapon-black.

As the missiles start flying, the ranger releases her own arrows at the advancing lizardmen, one launched fluidly after the other.
OOC:
I actually don't know if I'm allowed an action, so if I cannot I will delete this post. I'm also assuming both lizardmen are within 5 feet of each other so I can use Horde Breaker. If they're not, I will not have fired a second shot.

Rolls

Shortbow vs 1st Lizardman, Damage - (1d20+8, 1d6+4)

1d20+8 : (12) + 8 = 20

1d6+4 : (1) + 4 = 5

Shortbow vs 2nd Lizardman, Damage - (1d20+8, 1d6+4)

1d20+8 : (11) + 8 = 19

Jun 23, 2016 12:39 pm
OOC:
Xara, I believe by level 4 your sneak attack should be better than 1d6, is it not?
Jun 24, 2016 12:47 am
OOC:
Whoops! Didn't even notice. Will add it now...
Jun 27, 2016 12:13 pm
Xara fires an arrow into the back of one of the lizard folk, then tries to skulk around to their flank. The arrow hits cleanly and the lizard lets out a howl, spinning to try and spot the attacker. In the same moment Zaris unleashes a barrage of magic missiles at the other lizard, striking him in the chest. Ghunril rushes forward and throws his spear, hitting the lizardfolk Xara shot.

Pawetha aims her shortbow and fires the arrow that finishes off the first lizardfolk, the arrow slamming into its back beside Xara's. Her second shot hits the lizardfolk that Zaris shot with magic. Meanwhile, Kaiakas races towards the fray.

The remaining lizardfolk, turns and runs for the waters edge, shouting "We're under attack. Hu'lurk's dead, flee! Flee!". As it reaches the other two who are currently working on nets, they join the panic, drop their work, and prepare to dive into the water.
OOC:
The lizardfolk are now 60 feet further from their original positions at the shore. Kaiakas has managed to get 60 feet closer, so he's still 120 feet away. Zaris is 180 feet away, Pawetha is closer - something like 80 feet away - Xara is able to be as close as 30 feet. Ghunril is 80 feet away from them as well. The three of them are side by side preparing to dive into the lake.
Jun 27, 2016 1:56 pm
OOC:
120 ft you say? Kaiakas keeps racing along, sure he's not going to be able to catch these lizardfolk.
Hu'lurk? I wonder to myself. Perhaps it is best they are fleeing.
Jun 27, 2016 4:17 pm
Pawetha commits herself to the attack, firing twice at the collected group by the lake edge. The last thing they need is someone warning the Red Hand. After launching her arrows, the ranger moves closer, slipping between the undergrowth as best she can.

Rolls

Shortbow vs 1st Lizardman, Damage - (1d20+8, 1d6+4)

1d20+8 : (2) + 8 = 10

1d6+4 : (3) + 4 = 7

Shortbow vs 2nd Lizardman, Damage - (1d20+8, 1d6+4)

Jun 27, 2016 4:20 pm
Pawetha's first shot misses, but the second thunks into the already wounded lizardfolks upper back and it topples forward into the water, dying on impact.
OOC:
Two lizardfolk remain at the water's edge
Jun 27, 2016 6:59 pm
I really didn't expect them to flee that quickly...

Ghunril advances and looses another spear at the injured lizardman.

Rolls

Spear throw - (1d20+5, 1d6+3)

1d20+5 : (9) + 5 = 14

1d6+3 : (1) + 3 = 4

Jun 30, 2016 1:27 am
Zaris charges with Ghundril, loosing his sword as he runs. He measures his run just so; if Ghundril's spear makes contact he'll add another blow to the flurry.

Rolls

short sword attack - (1d20-1)

(12) - 1 = 11

damage - (1d6)

(4) = 4

Jun 30, 2016 1:21 pm
Ghunril's spear strikes one of the two remaining lizardfolk, and Zaris surges forward and swings, but the foe ducks under the attack.
OOC:
Xara
Jun 30, 2016 2:36 pm
"Fast bugger aren't you?" Zaris exclaims as the lizard ducks.
Jul 1, 2016 1:21 pm
Hey this is easy! I continue towards the renaming lizard folk, shooting at the one on the right.

Rolls

Short bow (w/sneak?) - (1d20+4, 1d6, 2d6)

1d20+4 : (5) + 4 = 9

2d6 : (56) = 11

Short bow w/advantage? - (1d20+4)

(18) + 4 = 22

Jul 1, 2016 2:31 pm
OOC:
Yeah, I'll give you advantage since you ganked the first one cleanly. Add sneak attack damage to the rolls.
Jul 1, 2016 2:35 pm
OOC:
The 2d6 should be all my sneak attack damage. Unless you mean I should reroll damage for the second attack?
Jul 1, 2016 7:53 pm
OOC:
Nope, you're good. Hadn't noticed it.
Jul 4, 2016 3:24 pm
Xara's shot hits the lizardman in the back of the head and he topples forward into the water, floating dead. The last lizardfolk dives into the lake and begins to swim towards the reed boat halfway between the shore and the buildings in the middle of the lake - the boat that the two other lizardfolk had taken out to go fishing just before you launched your attack.
OOC:
The fleeing lizard is about 60 feet from shore.
Jul 5, 2016 2:08 pm
"Zareen al' monolith!" Zaris mutters as he unleashes three bolts of energy from the wand at the fleeing lizard.

Rolls

Magic missile 1 - (1d4+1)

(2) + 1 = 3

MM 2 - (1d4+1)

(4) + 1 = 5

MM3 - (1d4+1)

(4) + 1 = 5

Jul 5, 2016 2:08 pm
The magic energy flashes through the air and slams into the lizardfolk, who shudders briefly before it ceases swimming and floats, dead in the water.
Jul 5, 2016 5:07 pm
Pawetha scuttles towards the now-empty hut, mindful of her profile against the reeds. The lizardfolk bodies are too far away to retrieve in the water; hopefully they go unnoticed. She peers out across the lake at the fishing boat, and along the shoreline for signs of activity.

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+6)

(2) + 6 = 8

Perception - (1d20+4)

(17) + 4 = 21

Jul 12, 2016 4:27 am
I run up towards the edge of the water while waving to my companions. "Hey! Glad you could join me!"
Jul 13, 2016 12:55 pm
Zaris smiles wryly. "It seemed things were taking an unfortunate turn," he says, scanning the horizon.
Jul 13, 2016 4:20 pm
Pawetha notices that the others seemed to have notice her. So much for stealth; sneaking around a marsh is very different than the forest. She slaps some mud across her cheeks and scuttles over to Xara.
Jul 19, 2016 3:45 am
"Now what? You think anyone else noticed?" I look around for any other lizard enemies running in our direction.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+3)

(9) + 3 = 12

Jul 19, 2016 1:04 pm
Scanning the area Pawetha's keen eyes pick out what look to be sentries atop the half-submerged buildings in the middle of the lake. She also sees huts roughly evenly spaced around the perimeter, like they one behind them. A few reed boats are out in the lake, lizardfolk within them casting nets into the water. No alarm has been raised, and none of the inhabitants of the lake appear to have noticed that the group just took out six of their kind. Eitehr that, or they don't care.
Jul 19, 2016 2:11 pm
Catching up to the rest of the group finally, I look around, "What now?"
Jul 20, 2016 4:15 pm
Pawetha points out the sentries. "I'm guessing whoever's in charge is in one of those buildings out there. I don't see a bridge so I think we'd have to swim or float across on one of these rafts."
Jul 20, 2016 4:34 pm
"We might have a better chance of going undetected in one of the rafts if we wait until dark. With Kaiakas in armor I think swimming would be out of the question."
Jul 20, 2016 5:29 pm
"That's a good idea," nods Pawetha. "Let's grab some of those clothes from the bodies. We can wait here until nightfall. Ghunril, you stand a better chance of passing for lizardfolk from a distance; maybe you stay in sight while the rest of us keep low. We'll make this hut look occupied and hope that no one comes to investigate."

The ranger moves to retrieve the bodies where it's easy enough, not only to acquire their possessions, but also to keep them hidden from casual observation.
Jul 21, 2016 12:51 pm
"I agree," Zaris adds going to grab clothing from the nearest body. "I hope night arrives quickly." Zaris looks back towards the horizon. "Time is of the essence."
Jul 25, 2016 3:37 am
I look at the bodies for anything of interest. Maybe they have shinies?

Rolls

Investigation? - (1d20+2)

(15) + 2 = 17

Jul 25, 2016 3:56 am
Searching the bodies Xara finds little more than a dozen gold coins and their rusted weapons and equipment.

After a couple hours of keeping low, the two lizard folk who had set out earlier to go fishing start back towards the hut in their reed boat. They don't seem to have noticed that anything is strange, as you've hidden the corpses well and have kept yourselves out of sight as you wait for nightfall.
Jul 25, 2016 4:10 am
Pawetha whispers, "We should try and take one of them alive. Find out what it knows." The ranger looks for a spot to lay in wait, whether behind furniture or in the rafters above the door.
Jul 25, 2016 4:16 am
"We can try, but it turns out I can't understand a word they're saying...does anyone speak lizard?"
Jul 25, 2016 5:08 am
"I speak draconic," shrugs Pawetha. "Maybe it's a dialect."
Jul 25, 2016 12:19 pm
Zaris frowns. "Perhaps Xara you would be able to sneak closer and listen to them before we take a hostage?"
Jul 25, 2016 1:06 pm
I throw my hands in the air. "That's what I was doing!"
Jul 25, 2016 3:13 pm
"I would be surprised if the creatures speak draconic, and I'm not sure its worth the risk of the noise to try and capture one. we should kill them both and follow the plan to sneak into the tower under the cover of darkness."
Jul 25, 2016 4:17 pm
The reed boat is a hundred feet or so from shore...
OOC:
Your next post is your action! If you are hiding, make a Stealth Check. If you are listening/looking make a Perception Check.
Jul 25, 2016 4:29 pm
I smile and clasp Ghunril on the shoulder. "I like this plan. We should ambush these two." I look to Xara with a wicked gleam in my eye. "Unless of course we plan on using certain methods to make them talk."
OOC:
Well that roll sucked. I don't suppose anyone wants to throw mud on me to help hide my obvious ass? LOL
Last edited July 25, 2016 4:31 pm

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+0)

(4) = 4

Jul 25, 2016 5:11 pm
Pawetha settles in for her ambush. She goes so far as to conjure up the Minor Illusion of a chair or bed to place in front of her and shield her from view; something similar to the furniture in the hut.

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+6)

(8) + 6 = 14

Jul 25, 2016 5:16 pm
Convinced that we're all very well hidden, I keep an eye out for trouble.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+3)

(9) + 3 = 12

Jul 26, 2016 2:16 am
"Yes, Xara I am aware of that," Zaris says, annoyance clear in his tone. "I'm just trying to make sure everyone is certain as to what we are doing." He walks back into the brush a bit and waves his hands in a circular pattern while mumbling quietly in his native tongue. Seconds later the air shimmers in greens and yellows and a few ferns and other water plants materialize in front of him.
OOC:
Casting minor illusion. Added advantage if you allow it Candi.

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+2)

(16) + 2 = 18

Stealth advantage roll (if allowed) - (1d20+2)

(4) + 2 = 6

Jul 26, 2016 3:01 pm
"May our blades be swift and sharp." Ghunril whispers as he hides in striking distance of the incoming boat.

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+5)

(12) + 5 = 17

Aug 7, 2016 12:17 pm
You conceal yourselves in and around the hut as the lizards move into shore. They pull up, disembark from their boat and begin dragging it fully onto the spongy land. They don't seem to have noticed something is amiss yet.
Aug 10, 2016 2:28 am
"So we're grabbing the boats, right?" I watch the lizards as they bring their boats onto the shore.

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+6)

(3) + 6 = 9

Aug 10, 2016 6:08 am
Pawetha says nothing, but readies her bow in case the lizardfolk approach the hut. She surveys the area to determine if other lizardfolk besides the two are nearby.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+4)

(7) + 4 = 11

Aug 10, 2016 1:43 pm
Pawetha doesn't notice any other lizard folk around the hut. By now she's figured, from her experience here and looking at activity at the other huts she can see, that each hut houses six or eight of them. The huts are far enough apart to suggest each group of six or so has their own territory, and they never go near each other's huts.
Aug 10, 2016 4:00 pm
I ready my sword, an errant snowflake falling from the blade to melt in midair. I wait for the right opportunity to strike if need be.
Aug 10, 2016 9:36 pm
Ghunril waits for the two Lizardmen to exit the boat and come a bit closer away from the water to avoid them just diving in and unleashes his breath attack.
OOC:
I'm basically waiting for them to line up so I can hit both with my breath attack.

Wow! that was an amazing Crit damage roll!
Last edited August 11, 2016 12:49 am

Rolls

Breath Damage - (2d6)

(34) = 7

Crit Damage - (2d6)

(66) = 12

Aug 11, 2016 12:09 am
OOC:
Ghunril, roll damage twice - you get a crit for the surprise attack as they are caught completely unaware
Aug 12, 2016 3:29 pm
As the lizardfolk drag the reed boats up the shore, Ghunril leaps out from under the hut and lets loose a powerful blast of his dragonic breath. When the air clears, the two lizardfolk lay dead on the ground.
Aug 12, 2016 3:40 pm
I look to Ghunril, impressed, "Well done, friend."
Aug 12, 2016 4:03 pm
"Great job! What are we waiting for- lets go!" I run towards the boats.
Aug 12, 2016 4:15 pm
I follow Xara to the boats.
Aug 12, 2016 4:19 pm
The reed boats are sturdy, and you figure three of you can safely ride in each boat at most. Maybe only two with Kai, because of his heavy armour.
OOC:
Do any of you know how to use a canoe? Training in Survival I will count as sufficient. If not that, explain why it fits with the background you chose
Aug 12, 2016 5:04 pm
OOC:
Paws has proficiency in Survival.
As the air clears from the dragonborn's poisonous breath, Pawetha gives the party a quick lesson in river craft, passing on the knowledge gleaned from Killian's teachings. The ranger offers to sit with Kaiakas to offset the heavy armor with her small frame.

"But, aren't we waiting for nightfall?" asks Pawetha.
Aug 12, 2016 5:48 pm
"I'm glad I was able to take them down without alerting anyone. We should definitely wait till at least dusk. Even at a distance Kaiakas won't be able to pass as lizardfolk in his armor." Ghunril surveys his comrades. "Kaiakas and I should probably ride in separate boats to disperse the weight as much as possible."
OOC:
I have +2 to survival
Aug 12, 2016 6:43 pm
Zaris nods in agreement. "I'll ride with Kaikas and Ghundril," he says making his way and climbing into the boat.
Aug 12, 2016 6:57 pm
OOC:
What time of day is it?
Aug 13, 2016 12:09 am
OOC:
Early evening, the sun will start setting within the hour
Aug 13, 2016 8:00 am
Pawetha shrugs. It's close enough to nightfall that by the time they near the central buildings, the darkness should obscure them well enough. The ranger settles her gear and waits for everyone to finish their preparations.
Aug 22, 2016 1:54 am
I climb into Paws' boat. "You need help steering?"
OOC:
Kaiakas and Paws are on one boat. Should I assume Zaris and Ghundril are in the other?
Aug 22, 2016 8:11 pm
Zaris and Ghundril climb into the second boat and push off a few feet into the water. "Ready when you are," he says to Xara and company.
Aug 23, 2016 10:53 pm
As night darkness falls and you load yourself into the reed boat, you notice another boat from the opposite shore with six lizardfolk in it pull up to the central building sticking out from the water in the middle of the lake. They disembark and head inside the building. A few minutes later, you've now climbed into your boats and are preparing to head off, you hear a tremendous roar followed by two wailing screams. Four lizardfolk scramble back down to their boat and hurriedly make their way to the opposite shore.

As you make your way across the lake you notice several hobgoblins and lizard folk patrolling the tops of the buildings in the middle of the lake.
OOC:
You're about halfway across the lake at this point - anything you want to do, or just carry on?
Aug 23, 2016 11:39 pm
Ready for battle, I keep a careful eye out for any threats as we continue across the lake.
Last edited August 23, 2016 11:40 pm
Aug 23, 2016 11:44 pm
Pawetha strains her ears and considers if she just heard a dragon. She checks the position of the sun and moon to see how much cover of night they have.
Aug 24, 2016 12:27 am
Pawetha is certain that the bellowing roar was that of a dragon, although she can't say for sure how old, or how big it is. A thick blanket of clouds is rolling in as the sun sets, suggesting that it will be a deep, lightless night. Although, glancing back up at the guards atop of the buildings in the middle of the lake, Pawetha is pretty sure that goblinoids and lizardfolk can see quite well in the dark...

Rolls

Weather - (1d20)

(17) = 17

Aug 24, 2016 1:33 am
"Hey Paws, what's going on? See anything?" I'm lying on my back staring up at the night sky. It's not like I can see much of anything. Maybe we should have lit a torch.
Aug 24, 2016 8:16 pm
Zaris' head shoots around at the sound of what he knows all to well to be a dragon. "This is not good," he whispers drawing his wand. "We're sitting ducks in these boats. We better get somewhere safer quickly." He looks around at his companions. "Should we make for shore?"
Aug 27, 2016 12:24 pm
OOC:
Here's the map again. You started a the bottom left corner "1", and have struck out from there direct for the middle of the lake. You are just about where the tops of buildings start to appear above the surface of the water. The bellowing sound came from the building marked "3" which looks like the top stories of a town hall. The building marked "2" is the top half of a bell tower. What's the plan? Night is falling, which will provide you some cover, but not as much as you might hope as hobgoblins and lizardfolk have darkvision (although darkvision is colourless)
Aug 27, 2016 3:52 pm
OOC:
Are the buildings #2 and #3 connected in any way?
"We can make for either the bell tower, or the big town hall in the center," says Pawetha. "The big place in the center is where the lizardfolk went; my guess is that's the dragon's lair. Maybe we head there?" She curls up into ball in order to promote the appearance of cargo in the boat, and keeps her head upright to maintain her observations.

"Kaiakas, I don't care if it smells bad, put on those lizardman clothes over your armor."
Aug 27, 2016 4:00 pm
OOC:
It doesn't appear that they are connected. There's no bridges, at least. If they are, they are not connected above the surface of the water. Both have wood platforms just above the water's surface that you could reach from a boat - obviously designed for that purpose.
Aug 28, 2016 3:43 am
"Good idea, I'll take cover!" I jump into the water and attempt to hold the side of the boat, using it to block myself from view as much as possible. I'm pretty sure I'm invisible to whatever is watching us.

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+6)

(20) + 6 = 26

Aug 28, 2016 11:58 am
OOC:
Xara, can I get an athletics check as well to swim with the boat
Aug 28, 2016 3:03 pm
I paddle unevenly in my attempt to keep up with the boat.

Rolls

Athletics - (1d20-1)

(12) - 1 = 11

Aug 29, 2016 11:49 am
"The main building should be our goal," Zaris says looking towards their destination. "We need to know what we are up against."
Last edited August 29, 2016 11:49 am
Aug 29, 2016 4:21 pm
"A dragon, that much is obvious," quips Pawetha. "I'd wager we'd find some hobgoblins in the mix, too. Hopefully if we make it to the big building, we'll have some time before those in the bell tower arrive to reinforce."

She ties one end of a coil of rope to the boat, and trails the other end out to Xara to assist her swim.
Aug 29, 2016 10:49 pm
"Yes, the dragon. But there could be more. The biggest threat is not alway the most dangerous," Zaris quips right back, rolling his eyes at Paws.
Aug 29, 2016 10:54 pm
Pawetha pauses, rolling Zaris' words around her in head. "Are you flirting with me," she asks, plainly, "or was that your attempt at a short joke?"
Aug 29, 2016 11:37 pm
"I'll choose not to respond to that Paws," Zaris says flatly.
Aug 31, 2016 11:41 am
Under cover of the night, you push the boats closer to the main building. Xara moves silent along behind the one boat, greatful for Pawetha's rope - which she is pretty sure is the only reason she isn't drowning. Kai pulls some scraps of lizard folk clothing over himself to conceal his armour, and Ghunril does his best to keep a small profile, but otherwise relies on his lizard-like appearance for cover.

You arrive within sight of the town hall without trouble. The sentries atop the bell tower don't pay any attention to you or raise an alarm. The town hall is now fifty feet from you. A ten foot wide wooden platform has been built into the side of it to allow boats to pull up to the side of the building. Around the front, which you can barely see, a pair of staircases lead up to an entrance into the town hall from the wood platform. A small bridge has also been built connecting the townhall to a small building, only one floor of which rises above the water surface. Those with dark vision see a worrying sight - two large humanoids are standing on either side of the staircase. Each, about the size of a small giant, has two heads (If you have a +2 or better in Nature you recognize them as Ettins).
Aug 31, 2016 3:42 pm
Pawetha recognizes the ettins, and recalls the advice gleaned from her time in the Treeguard.

Rolls

Nature (Ettins) - (1d20+4)

(9) + 4 = 13

Aug 31, 2016 8:21 pm
Seeing the two headed monstrosities, Zaris grimaces and looks back at his comrades. He lifts his finger and points it at the ettin on the right. "You're needed in the back," he communicates with the creature hoping to fool it into thinking it actually heard it aloud.
OOC:
Casting Message. Only the one ettin hears the message and, if it responds, only I can hear the answer.
Aug 31, 2016 10:59 pm
OOC:
Zaris, roll deception
Sep 1, 2016 2:11 pm
Okay...

Rolls

Deception - (1d20)

(17) = 17

Sep 1, 2016 4:19 pm
Pawetha recalls that Ettins are two headed, stronger than Giants and dumber than bricks.

The one Ettin suddenly turns, and stomps its way up the stairs and into the bundling.
Sep 1, 2016 8:40 pm
Ghunril takes out one flask of poison and coats 3 of his darts with the oily solution. As he looks up and sees one of them turn and walk inside the building his nods to the rest of the group to indicate his readiness to attack the Ettin.
Sep 1, 2016 11:10 pm
I wring out my clothes carefully as I watch my party staring off into the distance. "What's going on? Are they coming for us?"
Sep 1, 2016 11:14 pm
Pawetha whispers, "We've got an ettin guarding the entrance, plus one more further in. Big and stupid, but they make up for it in pure strength. Should we kill it, or bluff our way past?"
Sep 2, 2016 1:37 am
I'm thankful for the boat ride to be over. Still with sword drawn and shield at the ready, I glower at Paws. "The time for talk has ended."
Sep 2, 2016 7:47 am
You move the boats closer to the wood platform. As you do so, the lone Ettin looks over, shrugs, and goes back to standing where he is picking one of his noses.
OOC:
Let the combat begin! Player turn is first - the Ettin is not 'surprised' as it will notice you are not lizards as you approach
Sep 2, 2016 9:43 am
I whisper to Xara, "Take the flank. It's attention will be on us." I stay in the front of the group as we approach the ettin. Once the ettin realizes we aren't lizards, I will charge, unleashing a vow to fell the evil creature as I swing my blade.
OOC:
Using Channel Divinity: Vow of Enmity for everyone to have advantage for 1 min on ettin.
Last edited September 2, 2016 11:26 pm

Rolls

Attack - (1d20+6)

(9) + 6 = 15

Attack (advantage) - (1d20+6)

(6) + 6 = 12

Weapon damage - (1d8+4)

(3) + 4 = 7

cold damage - (1d6)

(4) = 4

Sep 2, 2016 6:00 pm
Pawetha disembarks and remains near the boat, both for stability on the dock and to keep her distance from the gigantic ettin. "You're mine," she whispers as she draws her bow, releasing an arrow to support the charging paladin.
OOC:
Bonus action, casting Hunter's Mark
Last edited September 7, 2016 3:53 pm

Rolls

Short Bow vs Ettin, Advantage - (1d20+8, 1d20+8)

1d20+8 : (6) + 8 = 14

1d20+8 : (15) + 8 = 23

Damage, Hunter's Mark - (1d6+4, 1d6)

1d6 : (6) = 6

Sep 2, 2016 8:27 pm
Zaris pulls his cross bow out and loads a bolt in unison with Paws. "Hopefully we both hit and this thing has no idea what hit it," he thinks to himself letting the bolt fly.

Rolls

Short bow - (1d20+2)

(4) + 2 = 6

Short bow, advantage - (1d20+2)

(11) + 2 = 13

Damage - (1d8)

(2) = 2

Sep 4, 2016 5:00 am
"I'm on it!" With the rapier in one hand and a dagger in the other, I charge towards the Ettin, screaming a bloody-curdling war cry as I do.

Rolls

Intimidation - (1d20+1)

(7) + 1 = 8

Stabby stab w/rapier? - (1d20+6, 1d8+3)

1d20+6 : (5) + 6 = 11

1d8+3 : (1) + 3 = 4

Stabby w/advantage - (1d20+6)

(9) + 6 = 15

Sneak attack damage? - (2d6)

(34) = 7

Sep 4, 2016 5:07 am
OOC:
Xara, you have advantage and also get sneak attack damage because of Kaiakas' vow of enmity. Ghunril is left to go.
Sep 5, 2016 5:26 am
I throw a dart at the Ettin and rush in with Kaiakas letting out a draconic roar trying to confuse the Ettin.
OOC:
I'll use 1 Ki for patient defense.

Rolls

Dart Throw - (1d20+3)

(8) + 3 = 11

Dart Throw Advantage - (1d20+3)

(2) + 3 = 5

Damage + Poison Damage - (1d4+3, 1d4)

1d4+3 : (2) + 3 = 5

1d4 : (1) = 1

Sep 7, 2016 11:49 pm
You charge the ettin, unleashing blade and fury at it and before it can even respond you are atop it. Arrows sink into its flesh, a rapier finds the shortest path to vital organs, a magic blade of cold cuts deep into its arm, and a dart flies wide and sticks into the wood stairs behind it. The creature lets out a bellowing roar - loud enough that your moment of surprise is passed. It swings a heavy morning star in one hand, the weapon head is bigger than most of your bodies, aiming for the heavily armored paladin with the chilling blade. With the other hand, it brings down an equally large battle axe over Xara's head - trying to split the rogue in half.
OOC:
Player turn -- Xara and Kai are in melee with the Ettin at the bottom of the stairs. The rest of you are not.

Rolls

Morning Star v Kai AC - (1d20+6)

(1) + 6 = 7

Morning Star Damage - (2d8+5)

(35) + 5 = 13

Battleaxe v Xara AC - (1d20+6)

(12) + 6 = 18

Battle Axe Damage - (2d8+5)

(26) + 5 = 13

Sep 8, 2016 12:27 am
Pawetha fires another arrow at the ettin to support those in melee. The battle's become too noisy for her liking, and she hopes they can bring the monster down before reinforcements overwhelm them.
Last edited September 8, 2016 12:28 am

Rolls

Shortbow vs Ettin, Advantage - (1d20+8, 1d20+8)

1d20+8 : (17) + 8 = 25

1d20+8 : (12) + 8 = 20

Damage, Hunter's Mark - (1d6+4, 1d6)

1d6+4 : (4) + 4 = 8

Sep 8, 2016 7:27 pm
Zaris quickly opens a small bag tied to his belt and grabs a pinch of colored sand. He deftly moves towards the ettin and blows the sand into its face. "Zeen'athx dill!" he shouts, as colored light springs from his hands.
OOC:
Casting color spray.

Rolls

Color spray hp affected - (6d10)

(7529610) = 39

Sep 8, 2016 7:49 pm
"Fall, beast!" I roar as my blade flashes with a mix of golden and blue-white light.
OOC:
Using Divine Smite.

Rolls

Attack - (1d20+6)

(14) + 6 = 20

Attack (advantage) - (1d20+6)

(15) + 6 = 21

Weapon damage - (1d8+4)

(8) + 4 = 12

cold damage - (1d6)

(1) = 1

Radiant damage - (2d8)

(66) = 12

Sep 9, 2016 2:48 pm
Pawetha and Kaiaks lay into the beast, and as they do so Zaris unleashes a flash of colour blinding both of its heads. It shouts and begins to flail around swinging its axe and mace dangerously but imprecisely.
OOC:
Ettin Damage:68, Blinded

Ghunril and Xara
Sep 11, 2016 10:25 pm
Seeing the ettin's attention on his more heavily armored comrade attacks with his spear with the might of both hands and uses his tail as a balance point strikes out with both feet in a flurry of blows.
OOC:
Using 1 Ki for flurry of blows.

Rolls

Spear Attack, Advantage, Damage - (1d20+3, 1d20+3, 1d8+3)

1d20+3 : (11) + 3 = 14

1d20+3 : (9) + 3 = 12

1d8+3 : (2) + 3 = 5

Flurry 1 attack, Advantage, Damage - (1d20+3, 1d20+3, 1d4+3)

1d20+3 : (20) + 3 = 23

1d20+3 : (9) + 3 = 12

Flurry 2 attack, Advantage, Damage - (1d20+3, 1d20+3, 1d4+3)

1d20+3 : (2) + 3 = 5

1d20+3 : (12) + 3 = 15

1d4+3 : (3) + 3 = 6

Sep 11, 2016 11:56 pm
Ghunril stabs the creature in the chest, and before it can respond, slams his feet into its heads. Both heads snap back with a loud crrrack and the creature tumbles backwards. It's large body slams into the wooden stairs, creating an obstruction ([color="blue"]the stairs are now difficult terrain[color]).
OOC:
With the crit damage from the second hit, it's dead. Xara is up next
Sep 13, 2016 12:07 pm
I immediately search for anything of value, either on the beast or nearby.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+3)

(12) + 3 = 15

Sep 13, 2016 1:56 pm
The ettin has a large pouch filled with a dozen gold coins (12 gold) on its belt, but other than that Xara finds nothing of particular interest... She does hear the sounds of motion within the building. The scuffling of feet suggests to her that there are six, maybe eight creatures inside...
OOC:
Xara still has a move action if she wants to move
Sep 13, 2016 8:37 pm
Creeping over to the door, Zaris puts his head to the wall of the building hoping to hear anything inside.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+3)

(4) + 3 = 7

Sep 14, 2016 1:16 am
"I'm going to see if I can see anything from the top of the stairs..." Ghunril whispers to his comrades. Then precedes to stealthily climb up and see whats at the top.
OOC:
wow, what terrible rolls.
Last edited September 14, 2016 1:18 am

Rolls

Stealth Check - (1d20+5)

(8) + 5 = 13

Perception - (1d20+2)

(8) + 2 = 10

Sep 14, 2016 2:23 am
OOC:
Still in initiative folks, just waiting on Xara's decisions to move before the monster turn
Sep 15, 2016 12:41 am
After the Ettin falls, there's a few seconds of silence that stretches for what feels like minutes, and two ogres burst from the door on the second floor. Seeing their fallen comrade one shouts "Invaders! Uldritch is dead!" and the other lumbers over the fallen Ettin and swings his oversized club at the most heavily armored foe (Kaiakas)
OOC:
Assuming Xara's staying put... Also, to help me speed things up I'm just going to track monster stats in my posts:

Ogre 1 59/59 (AC 11)
Ogre 2 59/59 (AC 11)

Map Updated -

Player Turn

Rolls

Greatclub Attack - (1d20+6)

(16) + 6 = 22

Greatclub Damage - (2d8+4)

(74) + 4 = 15

Sep 15, 2016 12:48 am
Pawetha mutters under her breath a combination of transferring Hunter's Mark to Ogre 1, and complaining about things going from bad to worse. From the back, she fires an arrow at the ogre attacking Kaiakas; unfortunately, Ogre 2 is too far away from its companion to be caught in the ranger's attack.
Last edited September 15, 2016 12:49 am

Rolls

Shortbow vs Ogre 1, Damage, Hunter's Mark - (1d20+8, 1d6+4, 1d6)

1d20+8 : (1) + 8 = 9

1d6+4 : (6) + 4 = 10

Sep 18, 2016 3:33 pm
The wand instinctively comes out of Zaris's cloak. He points it with a sureness at the Ogre attacking his friend and lets loose the three arcane bolts of energy.

Rolls

MM1 - (1d4+1)

(4) + 1 = 5

MM2 - (1d4+1)

(1) + 1 = 2

MM3 - (1d4+1)

(3) + 1 = 4

Sep 19, 2016 7:10 pm
I pocket the coins and continue running up towards the commotion. I stab at anything hostile that gets in my way.
Last edited September 19, 2016 11:00 pm

Rolls

Stabby - (1d20+6, 1d8+4)

1d20+6 : (6) + 6 = 12

1d8+4 : (2) + 4 = 6

Sep 19, 2016 10:29 pm
Seeing Kaiakis attacked, Ghunril moves in with spear and claw and attacks the Ogre besetting his friend.

Rolls

Two handed spear attack - (1d20+5, 1d8+3)

1d20+5 : (4) + 5 = 9

Kick attack - (1d20+3, 1d4+3)

1d20+3 : (12) + 3 = 15

1d4+3 : (1) + 3 = 4

Sep 23, 2016 4:15 pm
Paws' arrow flies wide as several magic missiles weave through Xara's feet and around her to strike the ogre. Xara follows them with her dagger, plunging it into the big creatures thigh. Ghunril stabs at it, but it deflect the spear with a heavy backhand. Seeing an opening, the dragonborn jump kicks the ogre in the chest, leaving behind a scratch on its exposed flesh.

The ogre bellows and swings its club at the dragonborn (rolls below). The other ogre lumbers down the stairs and towards the paladin, swingings its club at the armored foe's head (rolls below)
OOC:
Added Xara's sneak attack damage with a physical roll (8)

Ogre 1 30/59 (AC 11)
Ogre 2 59/59 (AC 11)

Kai has 2 sets of actions. Player turn.

Map Updated

Rolls

Ogre 1 Club at Ghunril - (1d20+6)

(4) + 6 = 10

Ogre 2 Club at Kai (damage) - (2d8+4)

(58) + 4 = 17

Ogre 2 Club at Kai - (1d20+6)

(4) + 6 = 10

Sep 23, 2016 4:20 pm
As the first ogre is joined by its companion, Pawetha lines up her shot and fires. Her steady arm enables her to draw a second arrow and launch it at the second ogre by Kaiakas.

Rolls

Shortbow vs Ogre 1, Damage, Hunter's Mark - (1d20+8, 1d6+4, 1d6)

1d20+8 : (16) + 8 = 24

1d6 : (1) = 1

Shortbow vs Ogre 2, Damage - (1d20+8, 1d6+4)

1d20+8 : (7) + 8 = 15

1d6+4 : (5) + 4 = 9

Sep 23, 2016 8:21 pm
"Hang in there Ghundril!" Zaris screams as he lets another trio of arcane bolts smash into the ogre.

Rolls

MM1 - (1d4+1)

(2) + 1 = 3

MM2 - (1d4+1)

(3) + 1 = 4

MM3 - (1d4+1)

(3) + 1 = 4

Sep 23, 2016 9:44 pm
Expecting the Orges to keep attacking Ghunril attacks again with his spear 2 handed and lashes out with his tail. Then sets himself for the oncoming attack.
OOC:
Using 1 Ki for Patient defense.

Rolls

Spear Attack & Damage - (1d20+5, 1d8+3)

1d20+5 : (12) + 5 = 17

1d8+3 : (2) + 3 = 5

Tail Attack & Damage - (1d20+3, 1d4+3)

1d20+3 : (2) + 3 = 5

Sep 27, 2016 3:44 am
I attempt to throw myself between one of the ogres and Ghunril, continually stabbing at it as I do. Then, just as quickly I dive out of its way (walking just past Ghunril), baiting it as I do. "Come on ugly, come and get me!"

Rolls

Attack! (with advantage?) - (1d20+6, 1d8+3, 1d20+6, 1d8+3)

1d20+6 : (11) + 6 = 17

1d8+3 : (5) + 3 = 8

1d20+6 : (3) + 6 = 9

1d8+3 : (4) + 3 = 7

Sneak attack damage? - (2d6)

(52) = 7

Sep 27, 2016 9:17 am
OOC:
Ack! Sorry. Misread everything recently.
No sooner does the ettin fall that I find myself facing orges that I'm more than ready to cut down.

Rolls

Attack Ogre 1 - (1d20+6)

(6) + 6 = 12

Damage - (1d8+4, 1d6)

1d6 : (5) = 5

Attack Ogre 2 - (1d20+6)

(3) + 6 = 9

Damage - (1d8+4, 1d6)

1d8+4 : (7) + 4 = 11

Oct 6, 2016 1:03 am
Pawetha's arrows stick into both ogres as magic energy arcs into the wounded one, flashing from Zaris' wand and Ghunril stabs it in the chest once more with his spear. It is Xara, however, who earns the glory for felling the first of the brutes, stabbing it nearly a dozen times in the thigh and hitting an artery as she dashes past both of them and goads it into attacking her. Kaiakas turns his attention to the remaining foe and lashes out at it with his blade, the first strike missing and the second slashing across the creatures chest.

The ogre, panicked and enraged, swings its club at Xara (15 v AC, 13 damage). As it does so a second Ettin emerges from the building. Seeing the carnage it shouts in goblin, "They are strong! Fight for your lives!", then charges down the stairs towards the dragonborn, swinging its morning star (18 vs AC, 7 Damage) and battle axe (15 vs AC, 20 Damage) at the hard-to-hit Ghunril.

You hear a bellowing roar from inside the building, the same roar you had heard earlier. It is the unmistakable roar of a dragon.
OOC:
Ogre 2 45/59 (AC 11)
Ettin 85/85 (AC 12)

Map Updated

Rolls

Attack (Xara) - (1d20+6)

(9) + 6 = 15

Damage (Xara) - (2d8+4)

(72) + 4 = 13

Attack 1 (Ghunril) - (1d20+7)

(18) + 7 = 25

Attack 1 Disadvatnage (Ghunril) - (1d20+7)

(18) + 7 = 25

Damage 1 (Ghunril) - (2d8+5)

(11) + 5 = 7

Attack 2 (Ghunril) - (1d20+7)

(8) + 7 = 15

Attack 2 Disadvantage (Ghunril) - (1d20+7)

(19) + 7 = 26

Damage 2 (Ghunril) - (2d8+5)

(78) + 5 = 20

Oct 6, 2016 1:46 am
Pawetha continues her ranged assault, supporting the front-line fighters. She marks the newly-arrived ettin and fires an arrow at it, quickly following up with another at the ogre.

Rolls

Shortbow vs Ettin, Damage, Hunter's Mark - (1d20+8, 1d6+4, 1d6)

1d20+8 : (7) + 8 = 15

Shortbow vs Ogre, Damage - (1d20+8, 1d6+4)

Oct 6, 2016 4:04 am
"Hey! That almost hit me!" I stab at the ogre a little harder this time.

Rolls

Attack! (with advantage) - (1d20+6, 1d8+3, 1d20+6, 1d8+3)

1d20+6 : (19) + 6 = 25

1d8+3 : (7) + 3 = 10

Sneak attack damage - (2d6)

(45) = 9

Oct 6, 2016 11:32 am
Pawetha's arrow hits the ettin, lodging itself it its collarbone. The second nearly misses the ogre who is flailing wildly at Xara as she dodges around his slow attacks and repeatedly stabs him in the arms and hands.
OOC:
OOC:
Ogre 2 29/59 (AC 11)
Ettin 73/85 (AC 12)

Ghunril, Zaris, Kaiakas
Oct 7, 2016 12:33 am
Ghunril dodges the axe but can't get out of the way in time and takes the morning star to his flank. He retaliates with his spear 2 handed and tries to lash the Ettin with his tail. Then relaxes back into a defensive pose.
OOC:
Using 1 Ki for patient defense.
Last edited October 7, 2016 12:36 am

Rolls

2 handed Spear - (1d20+5, 1d8+3)

1d20+5 : (13) + 5 = 18

1d8+3 : (5) + 3 = 8

Tail - (1d20+3, 1d4+3)

1d20+3 : (14) + 3 = 17

1d4+3 : (4) + 3 = 7

Oct 7, 2016 9:13 am
Keeping an eye out on the newly arrived ettin, I keep slashing away at the ogre's chest.
Last edited October 7, 2016 9:14 am

Rolls

Attack - (1d20+6)

(15) + 6 = 21

Damage - (1d8+4, 1d6)

1d8+4 : (6) + 4 = 10

Oct 7, 2016 1:15 pm
Ghrunil attacks the Ettin, focussing it's attention on the dragonborn as he prepares to evade it's sluggish counter-attack. Meanwhile, Kaiakas lays into the ogre, which is presently bleeding from a variety of small and large wounds and has several arrows sticking out of it. It doesn't look long for this world.
OOC:
Ogre 2 18/59 (AC 11)
Ettin 58/85 (AC 12)

Zaris
Oct 7, 2016 1:47 pm
"Hey look, it's nothing personal..."
Oct 7, 2016 8:47 pm
"I don't like the sound of that," Zaris mumbles to himself as the unmistakable sound of the dragon echoes from within the structure. Having no useful battle magic, Zaris continues to hurl magic missiles at the foes. "That ettin is going to cause us problems."

Rolls

(1) + 1 = 2

Magic missile 2 - (1d4+1)

(4) + 1 = 5

Magic missile 3 - (1d4+1)

(1) + 1 = 2

Oct 7, 2016 9:56 pm
OOC:
Zaris, you shootin the Ogre or the Ettin?
Oct 10, 2016 4:35 pm
Candi says:
OOC:
Zaris, you shootin the Ogre or the Ettin?
ettin. sorry for the ambiguousness.
Oct 15, 2016 9:16 pm
The Ogre lets out a bellowing battle cry and raises its greatclub in both hands. Then, brings it down towards Kaiakas, trying to smash the paladin through the wood planks. The Ettin, meanwhile, swings it's club at Kaiakas and its morningstar at the nimble dragonborn, bellowing in rage and frustration as the sparkles of light Zaris sent forth from his wand strike it repeatedly in the face.

As you battle the large monsters on the wood platform, the beast that let out the roar you heard moment's before reveals itself. A lithe dragon with slick black scales flies up into the skies from what must be a hole in the top of the building. Soaring high, it barrel rolls and you catch the glint of moonlight on metal and as an arrow is released by a rider on the dragon's back. The arrow arcs towards Pawetha (If the attack his, makes a DC 12 Con save - on a failure you are poisoned). The dragon wheels around in the sky and starts its descent towards you, lining itself up for a flyby attack.
OOC:
Ogre 2 18/59 (AC 11)
Ettin 49/85 (AC 12)

Map Updated
Player turn

Rolls

Ogre Attack vs Kai - (1d20+6)

(10) + 6 = 16

Ogre Damage vs Kai - (2d8+4)

(14) + 4 = 9

Ettin Attack vs Kai - (1d20+7)

(4) + 7 = 11

Ettin Damage vs Kai - (2d8+5)

(66) + 5 = 17

Ettin Attack vs Ghunril - (1d20+7)

(16) + 7 = 23

Ettin Attack vs Ghunril (Disadvantage) - (1d20+7)

(16) + 7 = 23

Ettin Damage vs Ghunril - (2d8+5)

(24) + 5 = 11

Arrow vs Paws - (1d20+6)

(16) + 6 = 22

Arrow Damage vs Paths - (1d8+3)

(4) + 3 = 7

Oct 16, 2016 12:31 am
Pawetha wilts as the dragon makes its presence known, buckling under the added impact of the arrow. Still, those giants on the ground pose a continued threat, so the ranger launches two more arrows at both the ogre and the ettin, then moves along the dock to get out of the assumed dragon breath.
OOC:
Moving a couple of squares left on the map, figuring the dragon will try to line us up on its flyby.
Last edited October 16, 2016 12:33 am

Rolls

CON Save vs Poison - (1d20+1)

(12) + 1 = 13

Concentration for Hunter's Mark - (1d20+1)

(13) + 1 = 14

Shortbow vs Ogre, Damage - (1d20+8, 1d6+4)

1d20+8 : (18) + 8 = 26

Oct 16, 2016 12:59 am
As I ready my short now, I run as far from my fellow comrades as I can, hoping to draw the dragon's attention. Waving my arms, I yell "Hey buddy, it's me you're after. I killed your friend on the bridge and you're next!"
OOC:
I double my movement to draw the beast if that's what it takes.
Oct 16, 2016 1:14 am
OOC:
Xara, make an persuasion check
Oct 16, 2016 1:26 am
I give the dragon my winningest smile.

Rolls

Persuasion - (1d20+1)

(16) + 1 = 17

Oct 16, 2016 1:34 pm
Seeing the dragon rise up into the sky a knot forms in Zaris's stomach and he cowers back a bit. He points his wand towards the ettin and releases another trio of magical charges before turning and running along the planks towards the dragon hoping to avoid any fire raining down upon him.

Rolls

(1) + 1 = 2

Magic missile 2 - (1d4+1)

(3) + 1 = 4

Magic missile 3 - (1d4+1)

(1) + 1 = 2

Oct 16, 2016 3:24 pm
Pawetha hits both targets then steps along the planks to strategically separate herself from her allies. Meanwhile, Zaris fires a magic missile blast at the Ettin again, then dashes along the platform, past Pawetha and around back the building. Xara calls for the dragon's attention, boasting about slaying it's kin, while moving quickly towards the edge of the platform - arriving shortly at the separate building and a closed wooden door.
OOC:
Ogre 2 13/59 (AC 11)
Ettin 31/85 (AC 12)

Ghunril and Kaiakas -- also Xara, you only need a single move to go 'as far as possible' (towards the building) so you can still attack with your shortbow

Map Updated -- is everyone whose moved happy with where I put you?
Oct 16, 2016 4:18 pm
OOC:
Yes, that's precisely where I wanted to go.
Oct 16, 2016 5:21 pm
I aim towards the dragon's head and fire. Then, I check the door by me to see if it's unlocked/easy to knock down and get into.

Rolls

Shortbow - (1d20+6, 1d6+4)

1d20+6 : (16) + 6 = 22

Oct 16, 2016 6:44 pm
Xara's arrow hits the dragon, then she turns and checks - finding the door unlocked.
OOC:
Dragon: 8 damage
Oct 17, 2016 7:00 pm
Unable to dodge the morning star Ghunril takes the blow, looking worse for the wear he calls out to his friends, "Take these two down and then we can deal with the dragon." then stabs again with his spear and lashes with his tail.
6/24 HP, 0/4 Ki
Last edited October 17, 2016 7:01 pm

Rolls

Two handed Spear - (1d20+5, 1d8+3)

1d20+5 : (15) + 5 = 20

1d8+3 : (6) + 3 = 9

Tail - (1d20+3, 1d4+3)

1d20+3 : (13) + 3 = 16

1d4+3 : (3) + 3 = 6

Oct 17, 2016 7:02 pm
At the earliest opportunity, I fling the door open and run in, looking around to see if there's anything useful nearby. Maybe I can climb to the roof from in here?

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+3)

(7) + 3 = 10

Oct 24, 2016 5:29 pm
Heeding Ghunril's advice, I put the dragon's roar out of my mind and aim to cut down the ogre for good.
OOC:
Were we waiting on me?

Rolls

Attack - (1d20+6)

(13) + 6 = 19

Damage - (1d8+4, 1d6)

1d8+4 : (7) + 4 = 11

Nov 8, 2016 3:14 pm
Ghunril lashes out at the Ettin, stabbing and striking it with ease as the lumbering hulk is too large to avoid his quick moves. Kaiakas, meanwhile, fells the Ogre with a slash across its gut. It tumbles off the platform into the murky water and quickly sinks from sight.

Xara, flinging open the door, is met by a sudden, retching odor. Inside the building it is dark. She can tell that the floor is about ankle deep with water, and she can make it the shimmer of what might be scales, or eyes, shifting in the dark. Suddenly, they turn and launch themselves at her at the same time as the dragon, ignoring the cries of its rider, swoops in on Xara and bathes her in its caustic acid breath. The creature in the building is a medium sized scaly beast, and as it throws itself at Xara she recognizes it as a smaller version of the same green beast they had fought in the marsh the day before.
OOC:
Xara - make a DC 14 Dex save. On a failure, take 22 acid damage. On a save, take 11 acid damage.

Ettin 16/85 (AC 12)
Dragon: 8 Damage
Razorfiend 22/22 (AC 16)

Map Updated
Nov 8, 2016 3:23 pm
As the dragon passes, the ranger follows, moving along the platform until she reaches the end. Seeing that the ettin is still alive and very much a threat, Pawetha releases an arrow at the giant, hoping it's enough to fell the monster.

Rolls

1d20+8 : (15) + 8 = 23

1d6+4 : (2) + 4 = 6

Nov 8, 2016 3:51 pm
I run and dive!
OOC:
Whoops- I think I'm unconscious.
Last edited November 8, 2016 3:54 pm

Rolls

Dex Save - (1d20+6)

(13) + 6 = 19

Nov 8, 2016 7:37 pm
Seeing the ettin stagger from Pawetha's bow shot Ghunril lashes out with his tail, Then takes aim and throws a poisoned dart at the newly arrived Razorfiend.
OOC:
Sorry messed up my damage roll disregard the 1D3 roll.

Razorfiend get a DC10 check to avoid the poison dmg.
Last edited November 8, 2016 7:41 pm

Rolls

Tail vs Ettin - (1d20+3, 1d3+3)

1d3+3 : (1) + 3 = 4

Proper damage vs Ettim - (1d4+3)

(2) + 3 = 5

Dart vs Razorfiend, dmg, poison dmg - (1d20+3, 1d4+3, 1d4)

1d4 : (4) = 4

Nov 9, 2016 8:17 pm
"We're going to make it out of this!" Zaris states as he runs along the path to the south He crouches along the corner of the building and peeks his head out to spy the razorfiend. He points his wand and lets loose another trio of bolts.

Rolls

Magic Missile 1 - (1d4+1)

(2) + 1 = 3

MM 2 - (1d4+1)

(4) + 1 = 5

MM 3 - (1d4+1)

(1) + 1 = 2

Nov 17, 2016 5:44 pm
I dream of dragons.
OOC:
Rolling early in hopes that I somehow roll another 20.

Rolls

Death Save? - (1d20)

(11) = 11

Dec 8, 2016 1:10 pm
Paw's arrow sticks into the Ettin's throat as Ghunril leaps and slams it with his tail. The force of the blow causes the brute to tumble off the platform and into the murky water. Ghunril's dart hits the razorfiend, but it appears unaffected by the poison. Zaris' magic missiles strike the razorfiend and almost bring it down. It stumbles back from the fallen Xara, as Kaiakas charges it and finishes it off with a thrust from his blade.

Stepping over the beasts body and into the shelter of the building Kai hears a low growl and notices two more razorfiends in the corner, standing over a clutch of eggs.

The dragon swoops up into the air, it's rider firing arrows at Ghunril and Pawetha but they narrowly miss (10 vs AC and 9 vs AC). The dragon lets out a roar, but does not descend close enough to attack anyone, instead inhaling deeply as it swoops upwards and wheels around.
OOC:

Dragon: 8 Damage
Map Updated

I took Kai's turn on his behalf. You still with us Kai?
Dec 8, 2016 4:16 pm
OOC:
I think you meant Paws' arrow
Dec 8, 2016 4:36 pm
Pawetha marks the dragon, concentrating upon it and taking in every scale on its horrible body. Seeing that most of her companions appear to be headed for the small building, the ranger tries to spread the group out so that an attack can be made from all angles. She fires her shortbow at the dragon and its rider.

She moves westward and around the corner of the building, though mindful that the dragon can easily catch up in flight.
OOC:
Assuming the rider counts as being within 5' of the dragon, I will include rolls for Horde Breaker. Also using a bonus action to transfer Hunter's Mark onto the dragon.
Last edited December 8, 2016 4:38 pm

Rolls

Shortbow vs Dragon, Damage, Hunter's Mark - (1d20+8, 1d6+4, 1d6)

1d20+8 : (3) + 8 = 11

Shortbow vs Rider, Damage - (1d20+8, 1d6+4)

1d20+8 : (6) + 8 = 14

Inspiration on attack vs dragon! - (1d20+8)

(16) + 8 = 24

Dec 9, 2016 2:10 pm
Well at least we took care of the smaller one. Ghunril think to himself. He throws his last poison dart at the rider then moves to help Kai with Xara.
HP 6/24 Ki 0/4
Last edited December 9, 2016 2:14 pm

Rolls

Attack, damage, poison - (1d20+3, 1d4+3, 1d4)

1d4 : (3) = 3

Dec 12, 2016 12:48 pm
I carefully consider the razorfiends and their eggs versus my fallen companion. Seeing Xara laying helpless, I carefully close the door behind me while keeping eye contact with the beasts, showing them I intent to leave them be.
I take out my staff and call upon the healing magics within, healing Xara.

Rolls

Cure Wounds - (1d8+3)

(8) + 3 = 11

Dec 12, 2016 5:08 pm
OOC:
Kai, can you roll Animal Handling as well please :)
Dec 12, 2016 5:32 pm
My eyes open to Kai's hulking form standing above me. "Oh! Why hello there! Dragon dead yet?"
Dec 12, 2016 9:07 pm
OOC:
Please let this work.
OOC:
Sorry Xara, we're dog chow.
Last edited December 12, 2016 9:08 pm

Rolls

Handle Animal - (1d20+1)

(6) + 1 = 7

Dec 12, 2016 9:49 pm
As the dragon rises up after its attack Zaris takes a small piece of fleece from his pocket and holds it delicately in-between his hands. He chants softly in elvish: "Kanuuu delaath, avreen dariieth...Kanuuu delaath, avreen dariieth... He then blows forcefully on the fleece. Out of fog that forms a dragon, red and fierce, materializes and swoops up to the same height as the attacking wyrm. Zaris directs it to let out a ferocious growl.
OOC:
Casting Phantasmal force. Has the potential to deal psychic damage to the dragon if it fails an INT save.
Dec 15, 2016 11:59 am
OOC:
Xara you get a full turn - so you have a move and an action if you like. You're in the room, door closed, with Kai. A couple razorfiends are leering at you about forty feet away.

Zaris - what happens, pretty sure 6 is a failure!

Rolls

Dragon INT SAve - (1d20+1)

(5) + 1 = 6

Dec 15, 2016 12:59 pm
The dragon illusion beats its wings powerfully filling the air with a thunderous sound. It opens its mouth and release a plume of fire and ash directly in front of the enemy dragon and its rider.

Rolls

psychic damage - (1d6)

(2) = 2

Dec 15, 2016 1:25 pm
OOC:
Er, I was hoping to close the door between the razorfiends and me. If it means I move Xara, that's fine. Didn't know if I could do all that in one move, but anyway...
Dec 15, 2016 3:58 pm
OOC:
Ahh I misunderstood -- so you'd rather be outside on the platform? Or inside the building with the razorfiends? I'll allow either with your turn, before Xara takes hers.
Dec 15, 2016 4:06 pm
OOC:
Kai revives Xara, then locks her in with the razorfiends and makes a break for it. 'She's got this.' ;)
Last edited December 15, 2016 4:06 pm
Dec 15, 2016 4:12 pm
OOC:
Lmao! No, I wanted to save Xara and close the razorfiends in, separate from us.
Dec 24, 2016 4:56 pm
OOC:
Xara, still waiting on your turn -- you're outside the building laying on the ground beneath Kai's feet - who just revived you. There's a dragon fighting a dragon in the air. One dragon has a rider, and you recognize it as the one that bathed you in acid earlier.

Map updated
Dec 26, 2016 12:45 am
I roll to my feet. "Ok, let's try something here..." I break out a flask of oil and work on setting the building on fire.
Dec 26, 2016 7:45 pm
Xara begins to bathe the door to the building into oil, splashing it up the side of the wood structure as best she can. Meanwhile the dragon engages Zaris' spectral phantom with claws and teeth...
OOC:
Monster turn coming soon!
Dec 27, 2016 7:40 pm
Glancing over to Xara and recognizing her intent, Zaris rushes over and begins tearing up strips of his cloak and soaking them in oil. "Where should I place these?" he asks with a wry smile.
Dec 28, 2016 6:36 pm
"Some place flammable?" I hand him the rest of the flask of oil.
Jan 5, 2017 2:19 pm
The dragon continues to do battle with the phantasm, biting and clawing at its new foe as if it were really there - to the rest of your eyes (except Zaris) the dragon appears to be having some kind of seizure perhaps? it is unclear, but its rider is clearly upset by the situation and spends the next six seconds scolding the creature and demanding it stop thrashing about.

Mean while the door that Xara and Zaris are busy covering in oil is slammed into as one of the spined fiends throws itself against it. Then slammed a second time as another does the same. The wood door, old as it is, cracks under the pressure but the creatures have not yet burst through -- they will soon, however.

EDIT: Dragon made the save, phantasm fades.
OOC:
Player turn -- nothing on the map changed.

Rolls

Save - (1d20+3)

(12) + 3 = 15

Jan 5, 2017 3:42 pm
He stuffs the oil soaked cloth under the door and gets his wand ready to ignite it on Xara's command.

"Just let me know when to light this," he yells over the roar of the dragon. "We don't have much time left!"
Jan 5, 2017 4:28 pm
"Now!" I get to work on the tinderbox.
Jan 5, 2017 4:30 pm
Pulling the flint from his cloak, Zaris strikes it on the far end of the scraps of his cloak and watches as the flame wisks up and grows in size.
Jan 5, 2017 4:53 pm
Pawetha continues her attack. Her first target is the marked dragon, and since its rider is near enough, a second arrow is fired in rapid succession.

The ranger then moves westward along the walkway to duck around the corner, hoping to split the party enough to limit the area of effect for potential dragon breath.
Last edited January 5, 2017 4:55 pm

Rolls

Shortbow vs Dragon, Damage, Hunter's Mark - (1d20+8, 1d6+4, 1d6)

1d20+8 : (3) + 8 = 11

Shortbow vs Rider, Damage - (1d20+8, 1d6+4)

1d20+8 : (14) + 8 = 22

Inspiration on attack vs dragon! - (1d20+8)

(4) + 8 = 12

Jan 5, 2017 7:16 pm
The oil, then the door, catch fire. The heat from the burning oil forces those by the door to retreat (If end your turn by the door, you'll take damage!). The fire quickly spreads to the thatch of the building.

While Pawetha's arrow plinks off the dragon's scales, her second sinks into the rider's shoulder and the goblin lets out a shriek.
Jan 6, 2017 7:53 pm
I quickly back away from the door, then load a crossbow bolt and wait for a target to make itself available to me.
Jan 8, 2017 8:09 pm
Ghunril back away from the door with Xara and Kaiakas then pulls a dart from his bandoleer and launches it at the rider.

Rolls

Dart - (1d20+3, 1d4+3)

1d20+3 : (8) + 3 = 11

Jan 8, 2017 9:15 pm
Ghunril's dart narrowly misses its mark.
OOC:

Dragon: 19 damage
Rider: 17 Damage

Kai is left I believe, and Zaris may want to move away from the door? Or, perhaps he likes the heat.
Jan 8, 2017 10:32 pm
That's hot!" Zaris yells as he turns and runs toward Ghundril as quickly as he can.
Jan 17, 2017 5:49 am
OOC:
Yeesh. Sorry, got lost there for a bit.
Leaving the fire to its fate, I ready my crossbow for the right opportunity to fire a shot at the goblin rider.

Rolls

Attack - (1d20+2)

(15) + 2 = 17

Damage - (1d8)

(1) = 1

Jan 20, 2017 3:54 pm
"Great, isn't it?!" I point my crossbow upwards. Maybe there's still a dragon I can hit from here?
Mar 6, 2017 2:31 am
Pawetha maintains her focus on the dragon, wondering what the others are up to.
Mar 8, 2017 8:48 pm
Zaris cowers behind Gundril, sword drawn. He anxiously looks over his shoulder making sure nothing has a clear path to sneak up on them.
Mar 8, 2017 9:12 pm
"So... uh... what'd I miss? Everything else dead yet?"
Mar 8, 2017 9:20 pm
"Not quite, there still seems to be a dragon that hasn't fallen down yet. Maybe we should do something about that."
Mar 8, 2017 10:44 pm
"Oh, good! Just the one. For a second there I thought I was seeing double. Must be from the blood loss."
Mar 9, 2017 12:20 pm
Kaiakas scans the sky with his crossbow. "I don't see anything!" He grits his teeth, anxious and worried for another fight.
Mar 19, 2017 6:11 pm
Your attacks fall heavily on the dragon and its rider. The two were preparing to wheel around and deliver another attack, but instead they carry off into the sky and begin to disappear over the lake.

Behind you, smoke rises into the air as the building with the razorfiend nest in it burns violently. The door shakes as the razorfiends within slam into it, desperate to escape.
Mar 20, 2017 12:22 am
"Wait, is the dragon leaving! I wanted its hide for some boots!" I walk several feet away from the fiery building and watch the dragon and rider take off.
Mar 20, 2017 12:31 am
Satisfied with running off a dragon, I hear the commotion with the burning building and trapped razorfiends. "You just had to set it on fire." I say to Xara as I prepare for the eventual escape of the beasts and their certain hunger for revenge.
Mar 20, 2017 12:47 am
Pawetha scurries along the walkway, rejoining the others. "C'mon!" she hisses. "There's probably more inside!" She begins to make her way to the main structure, nocking another arrow.

Before she heads off, she pulls out the shortsword crafted by the dwarf in and holds it out to Xara. "Here, you might find this better."
[ +- ] Green Dragon Fang Shortsword
Mar 20, 2017 3:52 am
"That's an excellent development. Not often you can drive off a dragon without larger weapons than we have." Ghunril looks over to the burning door, "That structure won't hold them or kill them unfortunately, prepare yourselves." With that he adjusts his bandoleers and steadies his spear in his large hands ready for the razorfiends to emerge.
Mar 21, 2017 7:49 pm
Zaris lets out a sigh of relief as the dragon flies off but quickly the smile fades. "They may be back," he remarks keeping his sword at ready and turning towards the burning building. "They may return with friends. We need to get out of here sooner rather than later."
Mar 21, 2017 8:34 pm
"Thanks, Paws! I should really get these dragon bone daggers finished up. It'd make a nice set, wouldn't you say?"
Mar 21, 2017 8:44 pm
"Yes," Pawetha says quickly. "Now hurry up!" She scurries over to the large building, away from the fire.
Mar 21, 2017 9:32 pm
Zaris follows Paws closely.
Mar 21, 2017 10:36 pm
You head up the stairs into the main building. The double doors hang open, and just inside dim light trickles down from mirror stairwells into what was once a grand entryway. Now the entrance is bare except a shaggy fur hung on one wall. A foul, fetid smell rises up from this place as if it were the den of some great beast.

There are doors on your left and right, and beside them stairs lead upwards. You can make out the remains of a staircase leading down, but it is blocked by rubble that is impassable.
Mar 21, 2017 10:42 pm
Pawetha enters the building and covers the area with her drawn bow to allow the others inside. She watches to make sure the doors do not open nor anything descend the stairs.
Mar 22, 2017 12:00 pm
I give a quick look around for anything of interest. Maybe something worthwhile was left behind?

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+3)

(1) + 3 = 4

Mar 22, 2017 12:02 pm
Scanning the entrance all Xara notices that wasn't obvious is that the animal skin on the back wall is flea ridden.
Mar 22, 2017 3:59 pm
Whats our plan at this point? Are we fleeing this place or fortifying it against the Razorfeinds? Ghunril says as he enters the room. He moves to one of the doors as he talks and listens for anything moving on the other side.

Rolls

Listening - (1d20+2)

(8) + 2 = 10

Mar 22, 2017 4:44 pm
"Clear it out," says Pawetha. "Those giant-things came from here, as well as the dragon. If there's nothing else holed up, there's might be something useful we can find."
Mar 22, 2017 5:12 pm
"I for one am gonna sit for a sec. Takes a lot of energy to wipe out an army, you know."
OOC:
Short rest?
Last edited March 22, 2017 5:12 pm
Mar 22, 2017 6:06 pm
"Then we fortify what we can," says Pawetha, glancing at the doors. "There are still hobgoblins and lizardfolk about. And be careful; we don't know if there are more of the Red Hand in here.

"Meanwhile, if this was a dragon nest..."
She leaves the rest unspoken, and with a grin, heads for the stairs.

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+6)

(7) + 6 = 13

Mar 22, 2017 6:31 pm
Kaiakas does a double take as he realizes he's being left behind. Hearing talk about fortifying our position, I shake my head incredulously. "What are we looking for again? Fortifying behind enemy ranks does not sound very wise."
Mar 22, 2017 8:56 pm
"I think we may be a bit safer in here than outside Kaiakas," Zaris says with a weak smile. "If those dragons return I doubt that they would start attacking this building if some of their own are left inside." Zaris walks over to the skin on the wall and picks a flea off and examines it closely between his fingers. "These fleas look to be newly hatched," he muses to himself. He then turns towards Xara and nods. "I think a rest may be a good idea before we continue on. I'll take watch at the door." He walks to the door and sits down, legs crossed.
Mar 22, 2017 11:20 pm
OOC:
Short rest takes an hour.
Pawetha creeps up the stairs to the roof. There she finds something somewhat alarming - four ogres are standing in the middle, two staring up at the sky where the dragon and its rider are now a faint blotch in the distance, and two staring at the burning building. They are, at the moment, stunned by the events... Rubble and refuse is scatted across the roof. Barrels of javelins are positioned around the edges of the roof, presumably to be used in defence.
Mar 22, 2017 11:24 pm
Pawetha slowly sinks back down, descending the stairs back to the main room. Her enthusiasm at finding a dragon's lair has been adequately tempered.

"So, you know what I was saying about more Red Hand?" she says as she returns to the group. "There's four big ones up there!"

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+6)

(1) + 6 = 7

Mar 22, 2017 11:50 pm
Exclaiming the last point, Pawetha's voice raises from a whisper to a near shout.
Mar 23, 2017 1:13 am
It might be best to keep your voice down then... Ghunril takes out three darts and applies another vial of poison to them expecting the big uglys to descend the stairs after Paws.
Mar 23, 2017 3:05 am
"What?!" calls out Pawetha, distracted by nocking her arrow to properly listen to the advice.
Mar 23, 2017 3:08 am
"Should we try to reason with them?"
OOC:
HP 11/23
Last edited March 23, 2017 11:58 am
Mar 23, 2017 10:44 am
Realizing they were in more danger than he initially believed, Kaiakas talks in hushed tones. "Four?? Can we take them out without taking them all on at once?"
OOC:
Did I heal everyone? If anyone needs healing, Kaiakas will use the staff.
Mar 23, 2017 3:20 pm
If we could trip one on the stairs they would have a hard time rushing us all at once.
OOC:
Did I hear anything on the other side of the door? Also I'm at 6/24 HP Kai.
Mar 23, 2017 3:31 pm
"Ghunril you sure you're up for another fight? You look worse off than I do!"
Mar 23, 2017 4:38 pm
Pawetha looks for some cover, keeping the stairs in sight.
[ +- ] Status
OOC:
I can cast Cure Wounds twice before I'm out of spell slots.
Mar 23, 2017 4:42 pm
Pushing an ear up to the door Ghunril hears nothing on the other side. Above, however, the sound of heavy footfalls is clear. As is the splintering sound of a wood door shattering. Anyone who peers out sees three charred and burned razorfiends tumble out of the burning building and onto the wood platform. They start to dis-entangle themselves, and put more distance between themselves and the fire. Looking around the room, Pawetha sees no where to hide.
Mar 23, 2017 4:46 pm
The Ettin got several good hits on me. But until this threat to clan Ophinshtalajiir is wiped from the face of the planet I must fight on.
Mar 23, 2017 8:03 pm
"Step back my friends," Zaris whispers as he briskly walks to the foot of the stairs. He takes one giant step back and plants four narrow pieces of metal the size of pencils from his pack into the ground, the pointy ends facing the top of the stairs. "Stay behind these until the big ones emerge." He whispers a quick chant over the metal darts causing them to glow a faint red.
OOC:
I'm at 12/20 hp.
Casted Cordon of Arrows.
Mar 23, 2017 8:19 pm
OOC:
Can you post the spell text for me ?
Mar 23, 2017 8:31 pm
I fish through my pockets and find a healing potion. I hand it to Ghunril. "Take it. I don't plan on taking any hits this time. They'll never see me coming!"
Mar 23, 2017 9:32 pm
Thank you. Ghunril bows to Xara as he accepts the potion and downs it. Then moves behind Zaris' trap preparing his darts for the first ogre that comes down the stairs.
OOC:
Readied action, throw a poisoned dart at the first Ogre.

Post roll: Terrible! Absolutely Terrible
8/24 HP, 0/4 Ki
Last edited March 23, 2017 9:33 pm

Rolls

Potion of cure light wounds - (1d8+1)

(1) + 1 = 2

Mar 23, 2017 10:22 pm
Pawetha casts Cure Wounds on Ghunril.

Rolls

Cure Wounds - (1d8+2)

(4) + 2 = 6

Mar 23, 2017 10:44 pm
OOC:
Kai is the last to act... then my turn.
Mar 24, 2017 12:26 am
Seeing Paws heal Ghunril, I mend Zaris's wounds.
OOC:
And then I see I'm 15/31 hp. Oh well, selfless paladin heals himself last.
Last edited March 24, 2017 12:27 am

Rolls

Cure Wounds (Staff) - (1d8+3)

(5) + 3 = 8

Mar 24, 2017 12:35 am
OOC:
For your collective (if foolish) bravery, you each get an inspiration (might need it!)
Mar 29, 2017 1:21 am
I walk a few steps forward until I see the big guys Paws ran into. "HEY! OVER HERE!!" I wave frantically, then dart behind my fellow comrades, waiting to see what happens next. I've got my shortbow ready to go!
Mar 31, 2017 5:57 pm
OOC:
Oh Xara.

Zaris, what's Cordon of Arrows do (I don't have my ref. books handy)?
Mar 31, 2017 6:26 pm
OOC:
Cordon of Arrows
Casting time: 1 action
Range: 5 feet
Components: V, S, M (four or more arrows or bolts)
Duration: 8 hours

You plant four pieces of non-magical ammunition - arrows or crossbow bolts - in the ground within range and lay magic upon them to protect an area. Until the spell ends, whenever a creature other than you comes within 30 feet of the ammunition for the first time on a turn or ends its turn there, one piece of ammunition flies up to strike it. The creature must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw or take 1d6 piercing damage. The piece of ammunition is then destroyed. The spell ends when no ammunition remains.
Apr 3, 2017 12:43 am
An ogre appears at the top of the stair case. It sees you, and shouts in goblin while pointing, "Outsiders! Maybe they burn the house?" before it can do anything else, an arrow zips from the ground in front of it and slams into its eye. It lets out a scream. The roof above you shakes as, without a doubt, the other three are racing to their companions aid.
OOC:
Player turn

Ogre 1: 53/59 HP

http://www.aidedd.org/dnd/monstres.php?vo=ogre
Apr 3, 2017 1:08 am
Those are some big uglies... Ghunril braces himself and throws one of the poisoned darts at the stumbling ogre.
OOC:
If it hits, he gets a DC 10 Con save to avoid the poison damage.

Rolls

Poisoned Dart Att, Dam, Poison - (1d20+3, 1d4+3, 1d4)

1d4 : (1) = 1

Apr 5, 2017 3:20 am
I fire, aiming for the ogre's other eye.

Rolls

Shortbow - (1d20+4, 1d6)

1d20+4 : (2) + 4 = 6

Apr 5, 2017 7:20 am
Pawetha copies Xara, shooting from a crouch her own arrow towards the ogre's eyeball.

Rolls

Shortbow vs Ogre, Piercing Damage - (1d20+8, 1d6+4)

Apr 5, 2017 11:46 am
"Ugly indeed," Zaris adds drawing an arrow and sending it towards the ogre's eye.

Rolls

arrow - (1d20+2)

(18) + 2 = 20

arrow damage - (1d8)

(5) = 5

Apr 6, 2017 8:53 pm
Kaiakas pulls out his crossbow and aims at the closest ogre. As soon as he fires, he drops the crossbow and hoists his sword and shield before rushing to engage the brutes.
OOC:
Maybe there's a reason he doesn't use a crossbow.
Last edited April 6, 2017 8:54 pm

Rolls

Attack - (1d20+2)

(2) + 2 = 4

Damage - (1d8)

(1) = 1

Apr 7, 2017 1:29 am
"Kaiakas my friend! Zaris shouts. "I don't think that crossbow is calibrated well for you!"
Apr 7, 2017 1:43 am
"Not our fault. I don't think arrows work all that well against ogres, to be honest. We should probably stick to what we know best."
Last edited November 12, 2017 4:22 am
Apr 7, 2017 9:17 am
Kaiakas makes a disapproving sound and sneers at the errant bolt.
Apr 7, 2017 2:57 pm
Anyone have anything to slow them down so we can deal with them individually?
Apr 7, 2017 4:01 pm
"An excellent question!" praises Pawetha, enthusiastically enough that it spills over into sarcasm. "A shame it took you so long to think of it, you didn't ask when it really mattered!"
Apr 7, 2017 7:30 pm
"Focus Paws!," Zaris yells clearly annoyed at the bickering. "We can lash insults at each later if we survive this."
Apr 7, 2017 7:35 pm
"My lashes are long and glorious!" snaps Pawetha, nocking another arrow in preparation for the next volley.
Apr 7, 2017 9:48 pm
Zaris lets out a hearty laugh. "Indeed they are!"
Apr 7, 2017 10:47 pm
"Now is not the time for flirting, Zaris!"
Apr 18, 2017 5:49 pm
Arrows pelt the ogre, some slamming into the floor at its feet, the wall to its side, and others plunging into its face and body. It lets out a yell and charges Kaiakas.

A second ogre lumbers down the other staircase (there is one on each side of the room), seeing the erupting battle it shouts a battle cry and charges itself into the frey, locking in with Ghunril.
OOC:

Ogre 1 (KAI): 36/59 HP
Ore 2 (Ghunril): 59/59 HP

Rolls

Attack Kai - (1d20+6)

(2) + 6 = 8

Damage Kai - (2d8+4)

(68) + 4 = 18

Attack Ghun - (1d20+6)

(8) + 6 = 14

Damage Ghun - (2d8+4)

(24) + 4 = 10

Con Save - (1d20+3)

(15) + 3 = 18

Apr 19, 2017 7:19 am
OOC:
Assuming it's back to the players' turn...
Pawetha scurries across rubble to keep both staircases to one flank. She keeps her focus on her original target and fires her shortbow at the ogre, her muscle memory already drawing and nocking another arrow.

Rolls

Shortbow vs Ogre1, Piercing Damage - (1d20+8, 1d6+4)

If Ogre2 is within 5' of Ogre1, Horde Breaker attack - (1d20+8, 1d6+4)

1d20+8 : (13) + 8 = 21

Apr 19, 2017 5:21 pm
Roaring at the unexpected attack, Ghunril dodges the heavy blow and attacks with two hands on his spear.

Rolls

Spear attack - (1d20+5, 1d8+3)

1d20+5 : (7) + 5 = 12

Apr 19, 2017 6:35 pm
Zaris launches three magic missiles at the first ogre. "There is never a bad time for flirting!" he yells over the noise to Xara with a wink.

Rolls

MM 1 - (1d4+1)

(1) + 1 = 2

MM 2 - (1d4+1)

(3) + 1 = 4

MM 3 - (1d4+1)

(2) + 1 = 3

Apr 25, 2017 3:37 am
I run up to the ogre engaged with Kai, slashing at it with my rapier before ducking back a few feet behind Kai.
OOC:
Attack, then disengage.

Rolls

Rapier attack - (1d20+6, 1d8+4)

1d20+6 : (19) + 6 = 25

1d8+4 : (3) + 4 = 7

May 1, 2017 9:30 am
With Xara's presence so near, Kaiakas feels filled with confidence and purpose as his righteous might surges through his swing.
OOC:
Using Divine Smite

Rolls

Attack - (1d20+6)

(5) + 6 = 11

Damage - (1d8+4, 1d6, 2d8)

2d8 : (41) = 5

May 2, 2017 1:42 am
The party co-ordinates an attack on the ogre bearing down on kai, and together the fell the beast. After enduring arrows, magic bolts and daggers in the side, it crashes backwards, finally felled by the divine force of Kaikas' strike. It's big form lands on the stairs, slowing the descent of its peer who comes charging towards kai, but must abort its attack in order to clamber over its fallen ally.

The other ogre hefts its club and swings at the dragonborn engaged with it.
OOC:

Ogre 2 (Ghunril): 50/59 HP
Ogre 3 (Kai): 59/59 HP

Rolls

Greatclub (Ghunril) - (1d20+6)

(7) + 6 = 13

Damage - (2d8+4)

(48) + 4 = 16

May 2, 2017 5:45 pm
Using the stone as cover, Pawetha launches another volley at the ogre engaged with Ghunril.

Rolls

Shortbow vs Ogre2, Piercing Damage - (1d20+8, 1d6+4)

1d20+8 : (16) + 8 = 24

1d6+4 : (5) + 4 = 9

If Ogre3 is within 5' of Ogre2, Horde Breaker attack - (1d20+8, 1d6+4)

May 2, 2017 8:55 pm
Time to fall you brute! Ghunril lashes out with his tail and tries to trip the ogre in front of him.

Rolls

Trip attempt - (1d20+5)

(6) + 5 = 11

May 5, 2017 11:42 am
"I've had enough of this!" Zaris screams. He charges to within feet of the second ogre and slashes with his sword.

Rolls

sword attack - (1d20-1)

(14) - 1 = 13

May 7, 2017 8:27 pm
Taking the opportunity while the ogre is blocked by the corpse of its brethren, Kaiakas uses the Staff of Healing to recover from the battle some more.

Rolls

Cure Wounds (Staff) - (1d8+3)

(1) + 3 = 4

May 8, 2017 2:58 am
Seeing the second ogre head into Kai's direction, I do the same to it- dashing forward, stabbing, and retreating as quickly as I came.

Rolls

Attack! Followed by a disengage. - (1d20+6, 1d8+4)

1d20+6 : (13) + 6 = 19

Dec 28, 2017 3:55 pm
You shoot, stab and bash the ogres, but the beasts suffer the beating and continue to respond in kind, "Smash their faces to pulp!" the ogre bearing down on Ghunril shouts as it tries to shoulder check the monk. The other raises its club with both hands of Kai and brings it down with all its strength.
OOC:
Ogre 2 (Ghunril): 41/59 HP
Ogre 3 (Kai): 44/59 HP

Rolls

Ogre2 v Ghunril - (1d20+6)

(4) + 6 = 10

Damage v Ghunril - (2d8+4)

(57) + 4 = 16

Ogre3 v Kai - (1d20+6)

(14) + 6 = 20

Damage v Kai - (2d8+4)

(72) + 4 = 13

Dec 28, 2017 8:04 pm
Pawetha maintains her ranged assault upon the ogres, trying to whittle them down so the big blades can finish the job.
OOC:
As a reminder, Xara has the Green Dragon Fang shortsword.
[ +- ] Green Dragon Fang shortsword
[ +- ] Pawetha's combat statistics

Rolls

1d20+8 : (18) + 8 = 26

Shortbow vs Ogre3 (if within 5' of Ogre2), Piercing Damage - (1d20+8, 1d6+4)

1d20+8 : (8) + 8 = 16

Dec 29, 2017 12:37 am
Kaiakas takes another hit (down to 6hp) and disengages from the ogre, retreating away from danger, but still near his allies. (Sorry, not sure of the exact layout or placement of everyone.)
Dec 29, 2017 5:13 am
"Good idea Kai, you really need to stay outta my way if you expect me to save or protect you..." I drop the rapier and grab the fancy sword I've been holding onto for an occasion like this. "Take that!"
[ +- ] Xara's Combat Stats
Last edited December 29, 2017 5:14 am

Rolls

Attack (w/fFang)! Followed by a disengage. - (1d20+6, 1d6+2, 1d6)

1d20+6 : (7) + 6 = 13

1d6+2 : (6) + 2 = 8

Dec 29, 2017 5:34 pm
OOC:
At this points it's a melee brawl and all that matters is relative positioning, you can find ways to be engaged or disengaged with one or both Ogres.

Ogre 2 (Ghunril): 24/59 HP
Ogre 3 (No One): 38/59 HP

Ghunril is up -- Zaris is sleepy so I'll just throw magic missile damage from him at the weakest Ogre once Ghunril has posted
Dec 29, 2017 6:10 pm
Not seeing Kaiakas retreat Ghunril stabs again with his spear at the Ogre at hand.

Rolls

Spear 2 handed - (1d20+5, 1d8+3)

1d20+5 : (7) + 5 = 12

Dec 29, 2017 8:01 pm
The ogre's reel under the constant barrage of stabs and arrows. A blast of magic energy leaps from Zaris' wand, striking the Ogre bearing down on Ghunril in the face. It swats at its eyes, wobbles briefly from the blast, then regains its footing and lets out a howl, "Ants. ANTS! ANNNNTS!" it chants, refusing to believe that such small creatures can put up such a fight. It flies into a rage and swings at Ghunril one last time...

The other ogre, no longer harried by the paladin, closes in on the pesky rogue...
OOC:
Ogre 2 (Ghunril): 6/59 HP
Ogre 3 (Xara): 38/59 HP

Rolls

Magic Missile - (3d4+3)

(341) + 3 = 11

Damage v Ghunril - (2d8+3)

(53) + 3 = 11

Attack v Ghunril - (1d20+6)

(18) + 6 = 24

Damage v Xara - (2d6+4)

(56) + 4 = 15

Attack v Xara - (1d20+6)

(10) + 6 = 16

Dec 30, 2017 2:05 am
Pulling out the Staff of Healing, Kaiakas tries to position himself so he can affect all of his allies (30 ft radius) as he lifts the staff up and whispers a prayer to Tyr, sending a golden glow to burst from the staff and ripple out healing energy.
Last edited December 30, 2017 2:06 am

Rolls

Mass Cure Wounds - (3d8+3)

(761) + 3 = 17

Dec 30, 2017 2:16 am
Seeing the ogre swing its weapon within an inch of her, Xara glares up at him. "Hey, you almost hit my cloak!" She stabs at the ogre's legs before walking in a half circle, then disengaging. She hopes to get it to turn towards her instead of her pals. Paws could probably get a good shot at its back at least.

Rolls

Fang Short Sword, then disengage - (1d20+6, 1d6+2, 1d6)

1d20+6 : (4) + 6 = 10

1d6+2 : (6) + 2 = 8

Using inspiration! - (1d20+6)

(11) + 6 = 17

Dec 30, 2017 6:26 am
Pawetha tries to finish off the heavily wounded ogre, launching more arrows into the fray.

Rolls

1d20+8 : (4) + 8 = 12

Shortbow vs Ogre3 if within 5', Piercing Damage - (1d20+8, 1d6+4)

Dec 30, 2017 10:50 pm
Healing light bathes the entire party (everyone heals 17) as Xara stabs the ogre in the thigh and rolls away from it. In the same moment, Pawetha's arrow strikes the battered ogre between the eyes and it falls backwards with a heavy thud.
OOC:
OOC:
Ghunril, you're up!

Ogre 2 - DEAD
Ogre 3 (Xara): 26/59 HP
Jan 1, 2018 1:24 am
The ogre bashes on Ghunril again causing significant damage, almost breaking one of the dragonborn's horns but Kaiakas' healing energy washes over him rejuvenating him to leap back into the fray with the last remaining ogre.
OOC:
Forgot to add my attacks from martial arts
20/24 HP, 0/4 Ki
Last edited January 1, 2018 1:27 am

Rolls

2 handed spear - (1d20+5, 1d8+3)

1d20+5 : (8) + 5 = 13

1d8+3 : (6) + 3 = 9

Tail attack - (1d20+5, 1d4+3)

1d20+5 : (14) + 5 = 19

Jan 1, 2018 6:34 pm
Ghunril strikes the ogre, then sweeps its leg with his tail. The foe is battered, bloody and nearly dead. With the last bit of its life it hefts the club it still barely clutches in its hand high over its head and brings it down on the monk.
OOC:
Ogre 3: 13 HP

Rolls

Ogre2 v Ghunril - (1d20+6)

(18) + 6 = 24

Damage v Ghunril - (2d6+4)

(25) + 4 = 11

Jan 2, 2018 4:50 pm
Pawetha fires another arrow, keenly aware of her depleting supply and eager to take the giant creature down.

Rolls

Shortbow vs Ogre3, Piercing Damage - (1d20+8, 1d6+4)

1d20+8 : (8) + 8 = 16

Jan 2, 2018 11:11 pm
"And this is why you don’t mess with me! Or any of us for that matter!" I keep trying to poke holes through the ogre. Almost there!

Rolls

Fang - (1d20+6, 1d6+2, 1d6)

1d6+2 : (5) + 2 = 7

Jan 2, 2018 11:53 pm
Pawetha's arrow strikes the creature in the chest. The ogre staggers, reeling on its heels, and then Xara leaps into the air, slamming her feet into its chest. The ogre falls backwards, Xara atop it - driving her blade deep into its neck. When the two hit the ground, the rouge is left standing triumphantly atop the former foe.
OOC:
Battle is over, *phew*! I honestly didn't know if you lot would make it out of that one.
Jan 3, 2018 4:40 am
I raise my dragon blade into the air and wipe the blood off my face with the back of my left hand. "Nailed it! Paws, did you see that??"
Jan 3, 2018 6:20 am
"Hot damn!" whistles Pawetha, dislodging herself from her firing spot. She props up against the rubble while memorizing the pose.
Jan 3, 2018 4:58 pm
OOC:
As a quick reminder to the lot of you: You were investigating reports of Red Hand presence here at the middle of the lake, which turned out to be a flooded old city of Rhest. In the middle, where you are now, you found the top of an old building occupied by ettins and, well, a dragon (and rider).

A crude dock was built around the building and connected it to its neighbour. In there you found a nest of razorfiend eggs, which you burned down during the ensuing battle. The dragon and rider, in spite of your best efforts, fled. Then, on the roof, you encountered the ogres you've just defeated.
Jan 3, 2018 6:18 pm
"Come on, if that dragon was nesting here, there's bound to be something that makes this trip worthwhile," says Pawetha. "Keep an eye out for maps or notes, stuff that might show what the Red Hand's doing."
Jan 3, 2018 7:03 pm
How did we manage to survive that?! Ghunril exclaims as he holds the shoulder recently clubbed by the giant.

9/24 HP, 0/4 Ki
Jan 3, 2018 7:09 pm
Pawetha answers as if it should be obvious, "By being bad-asses!"
Jan 3, 2018 8:07 pm
"Skill. By the time you’ve killed your 20th ogre, it gets pretty easy. You’ll see, one day. Great job, everyone!"
Jan 3, 2018 10:46 pm
OOC:
Can I get some perception checks as you toss the place.
Jan 3, 2018 11:18 pm
Pawetha spends some time trying to recover as many arrows as she can while she inspects the area.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+4)

(18) + 4 = 22

Jan 3, 2018 11:24 pm
"Good idea, let’s see if they left anything behind..."

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+3)

(14) + 3 = 17

Jan 3, 2018 11:30 pm
I agree, this place wouldn't be so heavily guarded if there wasn't something here.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+2)

(4) + 2 = 6

Jan 5, 2018 2:09 am
Kaiakas noticed Ghunril as being badly injured, so the paladin walks over and lays a hand on the monk [Lay on Hands: 15 of 20]. A golden glow spreads over the dragonborn's body, healing him completely.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+1)

(19) + 1 = 20

Jan 5, 2018 2:06 pm
Feeling the healing power flow through him from the paladin Ghunril exhales in relief. Thank you my friend.
Jan 5, 2018 4:24 pm
"Who else is hurt?" asks Pawetha. "We can try and secure the doors and post a watch up top to give us time to rest."
Jan 5, 2018 4:50 pm
"I feel great! Kinda wish the dragon was here so I could take care of it too, but I guess you can’t have everything."
Jan 11, 2018 3:35 pm
I agree with Paws. We should try and fortify this position and recover. There might be something hidden in this building that intensive searching might reveal as well.
Jan 11, 2018 3:39 pm
"Makes sense. Higher ground?"
Jan 12, 2018 2:43 pm
You search thoroughly and do find a few things. Off the main chamber where you felled the ogres are two well kept rooms. One a torture chamber. It is clean, well organized, although grim. Small barbed cages rest against the wall, not quite large enough to stand in and not quite wide enough to sit in. Several barrels of water are on the floor, leaning against one is a bloodstained mob. A simple cot and chair round out the room contents. Flipping the cot, you find a small coffer. Inside is 155 gold, 320 silver, and a fine ruby-set bracelet in the shape of a lion (valued at 200 gp).

Opposite the torture chamber is the room that the dragon rider must have in habited. Three large animals -- a leopard, wild boar, and a crocodile -- stand at the ready in the southern portion of this room ... but on second inspection, they prove to be stuffed and mounted for display. The walls are decorated with a striking tapestry depicting a five-headed dragon in a pose of destructive rage. A free-standing perch for a falcon or eagle stands in the room's northwest corner. A cot heaped with fine furs lies to the west, next to a large table. Atop the table lies a dead batlike creature, its abdomen cleaned and stuffed with salt and wood chips, and its wings pinned to the table's surface with several thin pins. An iron chest is under the table. The chest is locked.

Finally, the chamber the dragon emerged from. It is a large room that might have once been a library. Now its shelves lie in disarray along the east and western walls. No sign of any books are apparent. A large portion of the ceiling is missing -- this must have been the opening through which the dragon ascended into the sky--, as is a corresponding portion of the floor, which opens into the dark waters of the lake below.
Jan 12, 2018 4:06 pm
I check the locked chest for traps before working on the lock.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+3)

(15) + 3 = 18

Unlike chest - (1d20+6)

(2) + 6 = 8

Jan 13, 2018 11:23 pm
Kaiakas looks around with disgust, especially at the tapestry of Tiamat.
OOC:
Sorry, why did we come here?
Jan 14, 2018 12:50 am
Xara finds no traps or tricks, and gets to work on the chest. It's a strong lock, and her skills don't seem to be up to the task...
OOC:
You came here because, you obtained a map indicating that the Red Hand Hoard had a presence in the ruins of Rhest (which is were you presently are, Rhest is an ancient city that is now a lake). Upon arriving in this marshland region, you fought and killed a Razorfiend --
some kind of dragon demon hybrid -- and met an elf who was hunting it. The creature you killed, you learned, had killed the elfs sibling.
Returning with him to his home, you met the rest of their tribe and found out that the lizardfolk in the region have become more aggressive, and that the razorfiends have become common invaders since the dragon took up roost in the ruins of Rhest. Seeing alignment in your goals with their troubles, they provided some aid and directions.

You've now scared off the dragon, and killed the defenders of this outpost in the middle of the lake.

This is the battle plans for the Red Hand, which motivated you to investigate The Blackfens and has led you to the ruins of Rhest
Jan 14, 2018 1:52 am
Pawetha spends the time looking for any documents or clues to the Red Hand's goals in this region. Not finding anything besides stuffed animals, she mutters, "Hopefully that chest contains something worthwhile."
Jan 14, 2018 2:19 am
OOC:
Thanks! It had been a while.
Jan 15, 2018 4:08 pm
Seeing Xara struggle with the lock Ghunril offers what help he can, Should we try to break it?
OOC:
Can you take 20 on lockpicking? I don't think we are pressed for time just not sure if that is allowed.
Jan 15, 2018 6:12 pm
Looking it over, Ghunril figures that while the chest is made of sturdy enough wood and banded with iron, it's still made of wood. A series of well placed strikes, probably with a mace or other blunt instrument, would certain grant entry.
OOC:
Taking 20 would mean taking a couple hours to meticulously and carefully work the lock
Jan 18, 2018 4:27 am
"Sure, why not? Do your worst."
Jan 18, 2018 4:37 pm
"While you all work on that, I'm going up top to see what's going on," says Pawetha. "We still got those lizardfolk on the shore, and who knows what's in the other building." She picks her way up the stairs to the roof, to keep watch.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+4)

(18) + 4 = 22

Jan 18, 2018 5:01 pm
"Keep an eye out for that dragon, too! I could use some new boots!"
Jan 18, 2018 5:10 pm
A thumbs-up pokes out from what cover can be had on the roof.
Jan 30, 2018 3:25 am
"Hey Ghunril, you need help with that? I figure stomping, or maybe dropping it from up high might do the trick?"
Jan 30, 2018 4:04 pm
Yes I could, I don't have anything other than my last spear to try and open this. Does anyone have a mace or hammer we could use to bash this thing open? Ghunril looks around the room for something blunt to use on the chest.
OOC:
Sorry, monks don't have much in the way of weaponry
Jan 30, 2018 4:38 pm
"Here, try this." I hand him a crowbar.
Jan 30, 2018 6:46 pm
That should definitely do the trick Ghunril gets to work on the chest with the crowbar.
OOC:
I used my normal attack bonus but my strength modifier is only +1. If I can use my dex modifier it would be +3.
Last edited January 30, 2018 6:49 pm

Rolls

Attacking the chest? - (1d20+5)

(6) + 5 = 11

Feb 13, 2018 4:22 am
"Maybe more on the left side?" I helpfully point to a weaker-looking corner of the chest.
Feb 13, 2018 3:10 pm
I'm not used to attacking inanimate objects, apparently this one proves more difficult than I had originally estimated. Ghunril tries a second time at the indicated point on the chest.

Rolls

Take that Chest! - (1d20+5)

(18) + 5 = 23

Feb 14, 2018 7:01 pm
Ghunril smashes the front of the chest. Inside you find six large leather sacks, each of which is heavy with coin (100 silver pieces and 20 gold pieces in each sack). Wedged between the sacks at the bottom of the chest you find a small wooden box decorated with silver filigree. Inside is a folded letter that has a perfumed scent. Nothing else is in the box, but there is an indent the size of a child's fist in the velvet lining indicating that something used to be contained in it.

The letter reads:

Saarvith--
Take great care with the enclosed phylactery. I need not explain to you what the Ghostlord would do if he knew where I had sent his little bauble for safekeeping. Hide it somewhere safe -- perhaps it could be trusted to your dragon friend's keeping? Keep it hidden until Brindol is taken. Should it fall into the hands of someone who could return it to its owner, the consequences for our effort could be dire indeed.

-Ulwai
Feb 15, 2018 3:24 am
Pawetha keeps watch on the rooftop, dividing her attention equally upon all directions.
Feb 15, 2018 4:59 am
I take out my share and shove the rest into my bag of "party gold" unless someone stops me. As the party leader and treasurer, it is important for me to keep accurate records of the spoils by keeping them on me at all times.

"What's that? Love note?"
[ +- ] Current Party Gold
Feb 15, 2018 1:23 pm
Kaiakas cocks his head in confusion at the letter. "Ghostlord? What is the importance of this... person to Brindol?"
Feb 15, 2018 4:02 pm
OOC:
Sorry, was Brindol someone we knew about? I don't remember if I came into the story after you guys had picked up that name or not.
The note mentions a phylactery. Does that mean this Ghostlord is a Lich?
Feb 15, 2018 4:36 pm
OOC:
Brindol is the largest city in the area, at the far end of the vale opposite where you began your adventure. You recovered a map from a bugbear Wyrmlord the ruined keep that you attacked that indicated a Red Hand Hoard was going to march through the vale and take Brindol, burning and destroying everything on the way. That map is linked in the notes thread.
Feb 15, 2018 4:55 pm
"Ghostlord was a name on the map," says Pawetha, briefly poking her head downstairs before returning to her watch duties.
Feb 16, 2018 3:18 am
Kaiakas barked out a laugh and pat Paws on the back. "So it is! Eh, should we find the phylactery for Ghostlord?"
Feb 16, 2018 4:56 am
"Sure! What is that exactly?"
Feb 16, 2018 3:56 pm
Maybe the Den or resting place of this Ghostlord is what is marked on the map?
Feb 16, 2018 5:03 pm
"That's probably the case, Boots," Pawetha answers. "Though why he cares about an empty box is beyond me. Still, if this letter is to be believed, returning the box to this Ghostlord is supposed to hurt the Red Hand somehow."
Mar 1, 2018 2:27 pm
OOC:
Pawetha, thinking for a moment, realizes that if there was a dragon here then there most likely is a hoard here too...
Mar 1, 2018 4:04 pm
"You know, if there was a dragon here, its hoard is probably here, too," Pawetha says, freeing her inner voice. She begins to search for signs of treasure, starting with the library and the giant hole in the floor.
Mar 1, 2018 4:16 pm
The library has nothing more in it that hasn't already been discovered, thought the giant hole in the floor is suspect. It's big enough for the dragon to have come out of it, and is paired with a hole in the roof. The hole in the floor leads into the dark murky depths of the lake, and it's difficult to tell how deep it goes.
Mar 1, 2018 10:30 pm
taking the cue from Paws, Ghunril looks around as well and looking at the large hole in the floor, If it's hoard isn't here its got to be down there... He points to the water. Anyone fancy a swim?
Mar 2, 2018 3:00 am
"Alright, I'm going in." I remove some of the heavier pouches from my belt. "I know exactly how much is in there, so don't get any funny ideas." Then, I cannonball into the water.
Mar 2, 2018 10:55 pm
Kaiakas frowns as Xara jumps into the water. "I ... do not like this." He begins looking around for a way to climb down instead of removing his heavy armor to swim.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+1)

(4) + 1 = 5

Mar 3, 2018 1:08 am
Climbing in will be difficult. As far as Kai can see, it's a straight drop. You are, after all, standing on the top floor of a three-quarter submerged building. The hole in the floor leads into the rooms directly below, and it's a straight drop to the floor.

Xara, meanwhile, lands in the water with a splash. It's chilly, but the thought of a dragon's hoard keeps the chill from taking hold.
OOC:
Xara, can you please give me a perception and your choice of Athletics or Survival hold your breath and deep dive
Mar 3, 2018 2:31 am
Pawetha removes her rope from her pack. "If you got any extra, we can make several lines, or longer if one ain't enough. Seems like we got plenty of anchors up here." She looks for a secure point to fasten her rope, before letting the other end drop into the hole.
Mar 3, 2018 12:43 pm
Just keep swimming...

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+3)

(11) + 3 = 14

Survival - (1d20+1)

(16) + 1 = 17

Mar 4, 2018 12:56 am
Kaiakas hands over his 50 ft of hempen rope to Paws. "She will need this to get back up. I'm not certain I will be joining her down there - unless needed of course."
Mar 4, 2018 4:47 pm
Xara swims down. The deeper she gets the darker it gets, and as she begins to wonder if she'd even see the hoard -- a gleam. Forcing herself towards it she finds what she sought. A hoard indeed. A massive pile of coins, silver and gold, and gem stones of myriad colors. Within and atop it she spots a suit of plate armor, the handle of a weapon, a necklace radiating magical energy, and a small iron coffer. She feels herself start to choke, and realizes she needs to get back to the surface... Might have time to grab one thing on this dive though...
OOC:
What to grab Xara? What to grab?
Mar 4, 2018 8:24 pm
I grab the iron coffer and attempt to pull it back up with me to the surface.
Mar 4, 2018 8:53 pm
Xara grabs the coffer and tries to swim up, only to discover that iron is heavier under water and she's not the strongest swimmer... But in that moment she notices the weighted rope sinking nearby. Grabbing onto it, she loops it around the coffer and quickly ties it off before hurrying to the surface.

The rogue emerges with a huge gasp for air, and shouts for them to pull the rope. Hauling together, Kaikas and Pawetha get the coffer out of the water and onto the floor. It's a heavy thing and isn't ornate on the outside. It has a latch for a lock, but no lock on it.
Mar 4, 2018 10:26 pm
"The water's freezing, but the loot is great! Who wants to join me?"
Mar 5, 2018 5:49 am
"I will gladly help pull up any remaining treasure we liberate from the beast's hoard."
Mar 5, 2018 2:57 pm
Having no armor to take off I'll join our treasure hungry friend below. With that Ghunril takes the rope out of his pack and hands it to Kia then drops gracefully into the water next to Xara.
Last edited March 5, 2018 2:58 pm

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+2)

(19) + 2 = 21

Survival - (1d20+2)

(17) + 2 = 19

Mar 5, 2018 4:36 pm
Pawetha secures more rope to available anchor points. Perhaps two can be used for the heavier things.
Mar 5, 2018 5:43 pm
With a bit of time and effort, you take turns diving, hauling and keeping an eye on the lake. You manage to drag the entire hoard, down to the coin, out from the depths. Counting it up you find yourself in possession of:

1x Iron Coffer (no lock)
1x Full Plate (finely crafted, and bearing a coat of arms you do not recognize immediately implying that it is indeed quite old)
1x Glowing Purple Bauble on a Chain (this is originally a Periphat of Wisdom +2, however one problem with this campaign is the treasure assumes a 'typical' adventuring party and that's no fun. So, I'm going to try "flexible treasure" : this is a necklace of "Base Stat +2" where whomever takes it chooses the base stat it modifies and it will become that forever)
1x Magic Weapon (same as above, originally this was a mace but I don't think any of you use a mace. Decide who will take it, and I will make it into a weapon suitable for them).
1x Horn of Blasting (see below)

A gold necklace (800gp value), eleven gems (30gp each), 8000 sp, 2300 gp, 130 pp.
OOC:
Horn of Blasting

You can use an action to speak the horn's command word and then blow the horn, which emits a thunderous blast in a 30-foot cone that is audible 600 feet away. Each creature in the cone must make a DC 15 Constitution saving throw. On a failed save, a creature takes 5d6 thunder damage and is deafened for 1 minute. On a successful save, a creature takes half as much damage and isn't deafened. Creatures and objects made of glass or crystal have disadvantage on the saving throw and take 10d6 thunder damage instead of 5d6.

Each use of the horn's magic has a 20 percent chance of causing the horn to explode. The explosion deals 10d6 fire damage to the blower and destroys the horn.
Mar 5, 2018 6:48 pm
I immediately wear both the gold necklace and the purple glowy necklace. "What do you think???"
Mar 5, 2018 7:00 pm
If the magic weapon was a Spear of returning +?? it would greatly increase my ability to start off the combat from range without having to burn through my spears.
Mar 5, 2018 7:12 pm
As I decide which necklace best matches my outfit, I take a look at the iron coffer. "Might as well check for surprises on this thing."

Rolls

Checking for traps - (1d20+6)

(1) + 6 = 7

Mar 5, 2018 9:24 pm
Xara sees no traps.
OOC:
Ghunril: Well, I'm not being THAT nice. You'll have to trust that I pick or conjure something useful for whomever wants it. You all just need to decide who its for and then I'll get to work ;)
Mar 5, 2018 9:29 pm
I look for a latch and throw it open!
Mar 6, 2018 2:43 pm
OOC:
I had to try didn't I? Does anyone mind if Ghunril takes the magical weapon, whatever it may end up being?
Mar 6, 2018 3:08 pm
The inside of the iron coffer contains a single item. A delicate chain of adamantium threaded with a lion's claw and teeth. A strong aura of necromancy radiates from it, so strong that even those without a hint of magical ability sense it for what it is.
Mar 6, 2018 4:24 pm
"Huh. Seems kinda dead." Losing interest, I hand it off to whoever wants it.
OOC:
Sure, Xara is pretty happy with her weapons.
Mar 6, 2018 4:35 pm
Pawetha takes the iron coffer, suppressing a shudder that courses through her bones. "Okay, I guess this is what the Ghostlord isn't supposed to get?" she says, voice croaking with discomfort. "Maybe we ought to be good sam'ratans and return it to its rightful owner."
OOC:
I've documented our recovered treasure in The Loot Thread, indicating who has claimed what so far
Mar 6, 2018 6:19 pm
OOC:
Excellent -- I assume Kai will be taking that full plate? I don't think any of the rest of you wear that clunky stuff.

If that's the case, that stat boosting necklace, will be a Necklace of Swiftness (While wearing it, you have 20 Dexterity).

Javelin below, plate as well. I modified the plate a bit by altering the Etherealness spell. I'm giving you something I think is cool, but it's technically Legendary quality so I've toned it back a touch.
OOC:

Javelin of Lighting

This javelin is a +1 magic weapon (+1 attack, +1 damage). When you hurl it and speak its command word, it transforms into a bolt of lightning, forming a line 5 feet wide that extends out from you to a target within 120 feet. Each creature in the line excluding you and the target must make a DC 13 Dexterity saving throw, taking 4d6 lightning damage on a failed save, and half as much damage on a successful one. The lightning bolt turns back into a javelin when it reaches the target. Make a ranged weapon attack against the target. On a hit, the target takes damage from the javelin plus 4d6 lightning damage.

The javelin's property can't be used again until the next dawn. In the meantime, the javelin can still be used as a magic weapon.

Proficiency with a javelin allows you to add your proficiency bonus to the attack roll for any attack you make with it.
OOC:
Plate Armor of Etherealness
While you're wearing this armor, you can speak its command word as an action to gain the effect of the etherealness spell, which last for 10 minutes or until you remove the armor or use an action to speak the command word again. This property of the armor can't be used again until the next dawn.

Plate consists of shaped, interlocking metal plates to cover the entire body. A suit of plate includes gauntlets, heavy leather boots, a visored helmet, and thick layers of padding underneath the armor. Buckles and straps distribute the weight over the body.

Str 15 Required, Stealth Disadvantage

Etherealness
CASTING TIME
1 Action

RANGE/AREA
Self

COMPONENTS
V, S

DURATION
10 Rounds (1 minute)**

SCHOOL
Transmutation

You step into the border regions of the Ethereal Plane, in the area where it overlaps with your current plane. You remain in the Border Ethereal for the duration or until you use your action to dismiss the spell. During this time, you can move in any direction. If you move up or down, every foot of movement costs an extra foot. You can see and hear the plane you originated from, but everything there looks gray, and you can't see anything more than 60 feet away.

While on the Ethereal Plane, you can only affect and be affected by other creatures on that plane. Creatures that aren't on the Ethereal Plane can't perceive you and can't interact with you, unless a special ability or magic has given them the ability to do so.

You ignore all objects and effects that aren't on the Ethereal Plane, allowing you to move through objects you perceive on the plane you originated from.

When the spell ends, you immediately return to the plane you originated from in the spot you currently occupy. If you occupy the same spot as a solid object or creature when this happens, you are immediately shunted to the nearest unoccupied space that you can occupy and take force damage equal to twice the number of feet you are moved.

This spell has no effect if you cast it while you are on the Ethereal Plane or a plane that doesn't border it, such as one of the Outer Planes.

**The spell length is reduced compared to the normal rules for this spell
Mar 9, 2018 7:29 pm
Pawetha pockets the iron coffer. "If that's all, we should get out of here. Gotta slip past those lizardfolk and get back to our boats, then we can rest with the elves and tell them about driving off that dragon. Then maybe we can pay this Ghostlord a visit?"
Mar 9, 2018 8:12 pm
"Yeah, sure, we could do that." I shove the gold necklace and gems into one of my many pouches and secure them deep in my backpack

"Hey Paws, want this thing? Could be good for making an entrance, ya know?" I wave the horn at her.
Mar 9, 2018 8:29 pm
Pawetha shrugs. "I'm not much for horns," she says. "I play the flute, though."
Mar 13, 2018 4:39 am
"Really? That's great! Maybe we can play a duet one of these days." I pocket the horn for safekeeping.
Mar 13, 2018 1:43 pm
Now that we have successfully stripped a dragon of its horde we should get a move on. I think its probably safest not to linger in the den of a dragon we just robbed. Ghunril settles his bandolier and his spears, holding his new javelin in his hand, ready to move out.
Mar 13, 2018 3:13 pm
"I’m not too worried. He left ‘cuz he was afraid of us. He knew we could take ‘em down. On the other hand, I’ve got lots of spending and celebrating to do so that’s enough of a reason to get a move on!"
Mar 13, 2018 4:56 pm
Pawetha nods. "To the boats, then."
Mar 22, 2018 3:15 am
"Alright, but I'm not paddling."
Mar 22, 2018 1:34 pm
You get into the boats and begin to slowly make your way for the shoreline. It's steady going as the boats are weighed down with all your new loot and wealth, but the slower pace affords an opportunity to notice something amiss. The lizard folk villages are busy, with lizardfolk piling into boats, and others already in the water, heading towards you.
Mar 22, 2018 4:13 pm
Pawetha pauses her share of paddling the boat, and looks uncertainly at the approaching lizardfolk to gauge their intentions. "Maybe they're happy to see us?"

Rolls

Insight - (1d20+2)

(19) + 2 = 21

Mar 22, 2018 5:46 pm
The lizardfolk - who are approaching from all sides of the lake - appear to be heading towards the building where the dragon's den was located, and not towards your boats specifically. Although, those directly in your pathway will intercept you on their way.
Mar 22, 2018 6:23 pm
"Boots, maybe they'll avoid us if they see you?" Pawetha says to Ghunril, though her voice belies the fact that she isn't confident in that outcome.
Mar 22, 2018 8:04 pm
Ready yourselves in case they aren't impressed. Ghunril Stands up and lets out a roar challenging the boats in front of them.
Last edited March 22, 2018 8:06 pm

Rolls

Intimidate - (1d20+2)

(17) + 2 = 19

Mar 28, 2018 2:05 am
"I don't suppose they want to crown us their new leader?"
Mar 30, 2018 3:12 pm
The nearest lizardfolk boat slows as Ghunril stands and makes a show of force. An act of intimidation that can only be enhanced as the flickering flame that had consumed the nest of razorfiends suddenly jumps to the main building (I had forgotten there was a fire! Lucky you guys ; )). The boats all seem to halt in the water as the blaze picks up. There is a disagreement, arguing, between two of the lizardfolk on the boat dead ahead of you. A spear is flung and lands five feet to the side of your boat, then the lizardfolk who threw it is suddenly shoved overboard. The boat starts to move out of your way and one of the lizardfolk beckons you to carry on, leaving you with the impression that you won't be harried in your passage.
Mar 30, 2018 5:38 pm
Pawetha continues to paddle the boat for the shore.
Mar 30, 2018 6:17 pm
You arrive at the shore in good time. The lizardfolk keep their distance. As you approach, one of the huts is at your nearest landing point, and the lizardfolk there clear out and watch from afar as you disembark. They are clearly afraid of you.

Once ashore you unload your haul and are faced with your next task: crossing the swamp with your new burdens.
Apr 2, 2018 3:19 pm
Well at least we won't be bothered as we figure out how to get out of this swamp. Ghunril assesses the large pile of loot and considers how they might move it all.
OOC:
Can we distribute it across the group and carry it all at the same time or would that require multiple trips?
Apr 2, 2018 3:43 pm
OOC:
Yes, you should be able to distribute the weight. Each of you will be encumbered - so -10 feet movement - but you'll be able to do it in one trip.

To navigate to the elf camp I'll need a series of 3 Survival checks. These may be done as a team, but you need to elect a leader whose roll will be used as the base, but each other character may still contribute if they like (ie, you may elect to roll to support the leader's check, if you succeed you'll grant a +2, if you fail by 5 or more a -2). Only the leader needs to roll 3 checks, everyone else - if you are contributing -
roll one.
Apr 2, 2018 4:12 pm
"Lead the way, Paws! I’ve got your back."

Rolls

Survival - (1d20+1)

(19) + 1 = 20

Apr 2, 2018 4:36 pm
OOC:
Kaiakas only has a +1 for Survival. He'll roll to help though.

Rolls

Survival assistance - (1d20+1)

(10) + 1 = 11

Apr 2, 2018 5:05 pm
Pawetha will attempt to lead the way, using the knowledge gleaned from the elves.

Rolls

Survival, Advantage from Elven Tutelage - (1d20+4, 1d20+4)

1d20+4 : (7) + 4 = 11

1d20+4 : (12) + 4 = 16

Apr 2, 2018 5:22 pm
It's a long hike, but with Pawetha leading the group you make it as the moon reaches its peak in the sky. Somewhere in the thick of the swamp and dark of the night you almost walked into the nest of a clutch of razor-teethed black spine gators, but Kaiakas' sharp nose caught the scent of the creatures and she alerted Paws. With a brief recon effort by Xara, you were able to find a path around them without drawing their attention or interrupting their meal.

As you arrive in the elf camp one of the guards approaches, "Welcome back, we did not expect you to return." He pauses, "We saw the dragon leave the lake. We'll help you get settled in, prepare some warm food and you can tell us what transpired."

Within a few moments a half dozen elves appear and help you relocate your burdensome load into a tent set aside for you, then you are led to a small camp fire. A spiced broth is provided in large cups along with a chunk of fresh bread. Several elves, including the matron and leader of the soldiers you had met before, sit down with you, "What happened? The dragon is not dead, but we saw it flee."
Apr 2, 2018 6:05 pm
"Some goblin was commanding that dragon, and I think his name was Saarvith," Pawetha says between sips of broth. "He was running that whole place for the Red Hand, because we found a letter from an Ulwai with orders. We attacked and managed to slay some of his ogres in the keep, but like you saw, the dragon and its rider escaped.

"We did find a nest of those harrowblades in one of the buildings, but Xara set that up in flames. Some of the grown wyrmkin escaped into the fen, but I'm pretty sure all the eggs have been destroyed, in addition to the main tower.

"One more thing; you guys know anything about a Ghostlord? We saw that name written in some letters, and we saw the label on the map. It seems the Red Hand have something over this Ghostlord and helping him might weaken their efforts."
Apr 3, 2018 2:53 pm
Ghunril lets Paws take the lead in retelling the events of the day as he relaxes and enjoys the broth for what its worth. Though he wishes for some red meat to add some flavor to it.
Apr 4, 2018 1:49 am
Sylleria nods thoughtfully, "You have done us a great service, thank you. We shall watch the skies, and hopefully the dragon nor the razorfiend spawn it brought with it return here. We shall dispatch hunting parties to seek and slay any surviving wyrmkin.

As for the Ghostlord, it is a name we are familiar with. A dangerous lich that lives in the southern reaches of the vale. If he is working with the dragons then the vale is in much graver danger than you can imagine."
Apr 4, 2018 2:22 am
"I'm not certain the lich is with the dragons. The note we found seemed to say the lich was looking for his phylactery. I think the Red Hand was keeping it from him ... it." Kaiakas looked around to his comrades to see if he remembered correctly and if they would back him up.
Apr 4, 2018 3:46 am
"And it's a fair guess to say that if that phylac-something were given back," Pawetha says, continuing the topic, "it might remove that danger by weakening the Red Hand's power.

"Maybe our next destination is finding this Ghostlord."
Apr 4, 2018 4:33 am
"... it almost got Kai, but then I ran and leaped, knocking it flat on its belly before gutting the beast, didn’t even get any of its innards on my boots. Takes a certain amount of skill but that ain’t nothing for me! Wish I could’ve made something out of its skin and bones to add to my collection, but I guess what I got now’s pretty good. Had this made from the dragon Paws and I killed a few days ago. Hey, pass me that ale?." I continue talking to the guard sitting next to me as I eat, only paying attention to the other conversations on occasion.
Apr 4, 2018 5:26 am
"You should not go without knowing who and what you are to face. If you can break the alliance between the Ghostlord and the Red Hand then you must. When I was younger, the Ghostlord was not a lich but a man. If you listen to the stories told by men of the bardic cloth around fires like this, he was a noble druid who worshipped lions and lead a nomadic tribe who lived in what is now the Thornwaste on the southern edges of the vale. The story goes that the nobles of Rhest betrayed the nomadic worshippers of the lions by killing a lion for its pelt, and the nomads responded by murdering the noble hunting party. When word reached Rhest the remained nobles dispatched their cavalry. The nomads did not stand a chance, the bard's will say, and their blood spilled into the depths of night. Their leader, the man who would become the Ghostlord. When the soldiers returned to Rhest they found ghostly lions prowling the streets and were slain to the man.
The region fell into decline and the verdant forests to the south slowly gave way to the wastes that are there now."
She let the story sink in before continuing, "The tale of the bard's, like most that they weave, is only partly true. The Ghostlord was then known as Urikel Zarl. He was a blighter, a cruel druid who had abandoned the path of nature and instead of preserving it drained the land of life for his own gain and power. The nomadic lion worshippers of the tale were indeed lion worshippers, but they were also feral cannibals who believed in death they would be reborn as lions. The lords of Rhest set out to challenge this cult, and slay their dark druid leader. In the ensuing battle all were slain, and the land blighted by the now-Ghostlords influence."
Apr 4, 2018 5:53 am
"So, you're saying we help this Ghostlord, we're only setting up a future enemy?" Pawetha sighs, tossing a piece of bread into her broth in resignation. "I guess it can't be helped. The Red Hand is an immediate threat we have to take care of."

The gnome scratches her scalp, loosening mud and bits of nature. "We just need to be careful, and hope our gift is enough to walk away without getting our brains eaten, or whatever it is liches do for fun. Doing this on behalf of Rhest probably isn't going to go over nicely, too, so we might have to say it's for Brindol. It's sorta true, anyway."
Apr 4, 2018 12:47 pm
Kaiakas turns to Paws, "My vow to Tyr calls me to focus on the greater evil. This druid-lich may be our foe in days to come, but the Red Hand poses a greater threat to many."
Apr 4, 2018 2:24 pm
But why leave an enemy at our backs? Unless we can turn this Ghostlord to our cause of defeating the Red Hand we should destroy his source of power and be done with him.

Either way, Turning him to our cause or destroying him we weaken our main foe.
Last edited April 4, 2018 2:25 pm
Apr 4, 2018 11:36 pm
Pawetha pauses. "Wait, you think breaking his little trinket is going to solve the problem?"
Apr 5, 2018 8:57 pm
My knowledge of the higher undead is limited but it stands to reason that if the Ghostlord was doing the bidding of the Red Hand because they had his Phylactory, destroying it should weaken him if not outright destroy him.
Apr 6, 2018 2:09 am
The leader of the elves shakes her head, "Destroying a lich's phylactery will neither weaken nor destroy the lich. It will merely render the beast destroyable, for while its phylactery exists, were it to be destroyed it would reform after some time. It is also likely to make you a target of the creatures wrath. The phylactery is a part of it, and while it may not be able to detect its wereabouts - if we are lucky at least - it will know it has been destroyed."
Apr 6, 2018 2:24 am
Pawetha wonders aloud, "Can a lich be bargained with? Ask it to fight the Red Hand in exchange for the return of his necklace?"
Apr 6, 2018 2:50 am
"You'd have to ask the Ghostlord yourself. While undead, Lich's are indeed highly intelligent."
Apr 6, 2018 3:23 am
"I think our next step is to head south and find this Ghostlord," says Pawetha. "The Red Hand held this thing over him for some promise, so giving it back ought to rob them of his power like the letter read. Still, I doubt it'll be as easy as walking up to his front door and knocking politely."

She looks at Sylleria. "Don't suppose you know exactly where he lives? Er, un-lives?"
Apr 7, 2018 11:52 am
"The Thornwaste." She replies with a sullen look, "It is dangerous, but you may be right. With the Ghostlord as an ally the Red Hand is much more dangerous. But, before you go, I should say your time here has not been without value to your bigger cause. With the threat to the swamp dispersed, we will send soldiers to Brindol, as many as we can spare."
OOC:
Check your maps thread -- your maps have answers! :)
Apr 7, 2018 4:57 pm
"That will be a relief to the people," says Pawetha. "Well, if we're going all the way to the Thornwaste, we'd better not waste any time. That's a big place, it's a long trek, and who knows if the Red Hand has already figured out how to cross Skull Gorge into Drellin's Ferry."
Apr 9, 2018 2:03 pm
If the Red Hand has already taken Drellin's Ferry, our trek to the Thornwaste will be that much more perilous. We should plan on not being able to visit any kind of civilization between here and our meeting with the Ghostlord.
OOC:
If my share of the loot is enough I would like to buy some gear if the elves have it available before we head out.
Apr 9, 2018 2:09 pm
OOC:
What gear in particular are you looking to buy?
Apr 9, 2018 2:13 pm
OOC:
a ring or amulet of protection or something similar to boost my AC a bit.
Apr 9, 2018 3:08 pm
OOC:
Sort out what your portion of the haul is, and I'll see what that gets you.
Apr 9, 2018 4:30 pm
OOC:
My portion of the dragon horde coin and gems would be 1182gp (32.5 pp, 575 gp, 2000 sp, 82 gp worth of gems)

Should I move this to the OOC thread?
Apr 9, 2018 5:10 pm
After a brief conversation with one of the elves, Ghunril arranges to trade quite a bit of money (your whole share) for an amulet of protection. The elf assures the monk that it will be ready in a few days, and he will ensure it is delivered promptly.
OOC:
Nope, we can shift into OC
Apr 9, 2018 5:10 pm
After a brief conversation with one of the elves, Ghunril arranges to trade quite a bit of money (your whole share) for an amulet of protection. The elf assures the monk that it will be ready in a few days, and he will ensure it is delivered promptly.
OOC:
Nope, we can shift into OC
Apr 9, 2018 6:01 pm
"Hey, speaking of weapons... you got anyone who can help me finish these?" I show the elves my half-finished dragonbone daggers.
Apr 9, 2018 6:12 pm
"I'll need some arrows, while we're at it," says Pawetha, looking into her near-empty quiver.
Apr 9, 2018 6:14 pm
One of the elven warriors looks over Xara's daggers, "These are exquisite. I can certainly hone the edge. It would normally take a few days, but I could, as time is of the essence, make some improvements tomorrow. Assuming you can wait a day."

Arrows would be no problem, the elves are happy to provide Paws with as many as she needs from their stockpile at no charge.
Apr 9, 2018 6:47 pm
"I mean, they’re alright. I’m hoping to get even better ones once I kill the other dragon, but might as well enjoy the fruits of my labor for a bit first. Plus they look nice next to the short sword. Kind of a set, ya know? Hey, you got any cool arrows for Paws? She’s the best at the bow. No offense to whoever you’ve got, but they probably haven’t seen and killed the things we have, so..."
Apr 9, 2018 6:57 pm
"I could use a new bow, actually," Pawetha admits. "This thing's been with me forever, but I haven't had the opportunity to maintain it."
OOC:
If Pawetha's portion of the horde is able to buy a magical bow, she'll take it.
Apr 9, 2018 7:11 pm
The elves look over the bow, and nod thoughtfully, "Here." one of their warriors hands Pawetha a bow of comparable size. It is made of a dark mahogany coloured wood and hand-etched with swirls and markings that probably have some meaning to someone of elven descent, "It is mine, but now yours. A fine weapon, care for her well and she will always fire true."
OOC:
It is a Magical +1 bow of the same kind as the bow you previously had. Also, it will "cost" you your hoard portion - as a 'donation' implied by the conversation.

Likewise, Xara, the finishing of your daggers will require 1 day of waiting, but also will "cost" you your hoard portion, given as a 'donation'.
This cost is implied strongly in the conversation, but the elves never explicitly ASK for payment. Only imply it strongly. Like Ghunril, they assert that the daggers can be delivered to you once finished, if you need to be on the road immediately.
Apr 9, 2018 7:22 pm
OOC:
I’m not actually sure what the hoard portion is. Xara has, at this point, her very own hoard she keeps adding to as she has barely spent any of the gold and is likely also holding Zaris and Rurik’s gold.
Apr 9, 2018 7:36 pm
Pawetha accepts the shortbow with both hands. "You have my thanks," she says. "These woods have been devastated by the dragon and the Red Hand for quite some time. I know it cannot replace those you've lost, but perhaps this portion of the dragon's hoard may help you rebuild."
OOC:
Dragon hoard is documented here. We seem to have four active characters, and I think Ghunril split his share along those lines. Pawetha will donate her share.
Apr 9, 2018 7:51 pm
OOC:
Are we talking just gems and gold? Xara is more than happy to donate more than her share if it makes the bookkeeping easier. I just mean she’s been holding onto everyone’s gold who hasn’t explicitly said they wanted it, including gold of former members.
Apr 9, 2018 8:17 pm
OOC:
I haven't been claiming Pawetha's share prior to the dragon hoard, mostly to let the world-famous Xara take it all. But she'll offer up her portion for the magical bow.
Apr 9, 2018 10:07 pm
I adopt a solemn tone. "It’s true. These are difficult times. Please, use these funds to help rebuild and restock your armies." I hand over my share of the dragon hoard gold and and that of Paws and Ghunril. From my personal/party stash, I remove another satchel. "Use these funds to help the children of the fallen. Let them know that the great Xara Nemetsk was here and, together with her friends Pawetha the Brave, Ghunril the Wise, and Kaiakas, will see to the end of these dragon and Red Hand troubles. Make sure they get candy and lots of toys." I give another 780 gold and 500 silver.
Last edited April 9, 2018 10:14 pm
Apr 10, 2018 12:03 am
Kaiakas smiles big, "It warms my heart for the virtue of generosity to shine so brightly in these dark times. Xara, you were holding my share, yes? Please, add that to our donation."
Apr 10, 2018 1:38 am
"Thank you for your generosity." The matron of the elves bows graciously, "We should retire for the night. I have heard that you will be aided by some of my kin. Will you be heading out in the morning, or waiting the day here for your items to be completed? If you do decide to head out, I will ensure the items are delivered by one of my owl riders. We, after all, know where you are going."
Apr 10, 2018 1:50 am
"We ok on supplies?"
Apr 10, 2018 1:21 pm
Your offer of resupply by owl rider is greatly appreciated. I think it would be best for us to leave in the morning. Our journey will be long and the Red Hand won't stop for anything. Ghunril bows in thanks.
Apr 10, 2018 4:31 pm
"We should stock up on rations," says Pawetha.
Apr 10, 2018 4:50 pm
"Oh hey, anyone know what this is? I’ve had it in my pocket this whole time. Kinda pretty." I hold up a faintly glowing pearl.
Apr 10, 2018 5:20 pm
"We are happy to provide a week's worth of rations." An elf says before hurrying off to do so.
OOC:
Xara, can you remind me where that pearl came from?
Apr 10, 2018 6:50 pm
OOC:
It was in the coffer under the dead owlbear, right before we met the elves.
Apr 10, 2018 7:35 pm
An elf wearing a long rob and holding a gnarled wooden staff approaches, "That, my dear, is a Pearl of Power. Do you know any spells? If so, I can teach you how to use it."

Pearl of Power
Apr 13, 2018 7:35 pm
"I mean, I’m pretty magical but no, no spells. Anyone else want it?" I wave it around to the rest of the group.
Apr 13, 2018 7:48 pm
"I'll take a look," says Pawetha, holding her hand out. "How does it work?"
Apr 14, 2018 3:11 am
The elf carefully instructs paws in the pearl's use, "You hold it between your fingers, then must concentrate upon it. When you are bound with the pearl you will be able to, about once per day for it must draw energy in from the world after each use, use its stored power to replenish your own. Pearls of power such as this are specifically attuned to spell casting, enabling you to reinvigorate your internal stores and cast additional spells when you would normally have been spent."
Apr 14, 2018 7:13 am
Pawetha spends some time mulling over the elf's words, trying to apply practical application to the verbal lesson. It takes a while for her mind to wrap itself around the concept of concentrating on a single object.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.