Chapter 5: Return to the Surface

load previous
Dec 22, 2016 5:33 pm
"Not me" Elfog says as he watches Beard climb back to its rightful place on his right right shoulder. "As long as you know the way out, I say it's time we get moving!"
Dec 23, 2016 7:50 pm
The myconid bids you farewell, as does Stool, who is obviously quite sad to see Hunter go. With Hunter's guidance, you are led to the surface, coming out about 50 miles north of Silverymoon.
OOC:
You are now free of the Underdark! What would each of you like to do now?
Dec 23, 2016 8:02 pm
Hunter takes in a deep breath, stretching out her arms as a physical representation of freedom.
OOC:
I'm up for visiting Silverymoon. What time is it?
Dec 23, 2016 8:10 pm
OOC:
I decided that this moment deserves a description
You travel for days through tightly winding tunnels, and several times you fear yourselves lost, and may have fallen into despair if not for Hunter's assurance that you're moving in the right direction. Near the end of one day's march, you suddenly feel a cool breeze move toward you from somewhere further up the tunnel.

Breaking into a run, eager to leave the oppressive confines of the underdark, you come around a corner and suddenly find yourself outside. You've been underground so long that even the stars in the sky appear to be bright lights and you see that the moon is full in the sky as if welcoming you back to the world in which you belong. The stars stretch brightly across the sky, sparkling like diamonds. You made it, in spite of everything you've been through, you're still alive and you're finally home.

Mai'ngor feels a sudden call from Sinag, and as he draws her from his belt, she flares with sudden light, stinging your eyes. You can all feel joy radiating from her after centuries of being trapped in the dark.
Dec 23, 2016 8:27 pm
Hunter cannot help but laugh, joyfully.
Dec 23, 2016 9:55 pm
Elfog takes a deep breath, filling his lungs with fresh air, before exhaling slowly. He stares up at the stars, "Wasn't sure I'd ever see 'em again!" he says with a laugh.

He turns his head to his pet and asks, "How ya holding up there, Beard?"
Dec 23, 2016 9:59 pm
Beard sits contentedly on Elfog's shoulder, staring at the stars in curiosity. When Elfog speaks to him, he nuzzles himself into the dwarf's beard a bit, unused to the chill breeze of a spring night.
Dec 24, 2016 12:25 am
Mai'ngor stands wordlessly, gaze trained upwards at the stars, drinking in the fresh air like sweet wine, until Sinag calls to him and he delights in her exultation.
Dec 25, 2016 7:18 am
Rejoining the group amidst her reverie, Hunter looks around. "I do think we should make camp, but perhaps not right here. I'm feeling rather energetic now that I have the sky above me. Shall we have a look around?"
OOC:
Did Sarith join us?
Dec 25, 2016 10:03 am
Mai'ngor nods and starts looking for a good place to camp.

Rolls

Survival - (1d20+4)

(5) + 4 = 9

Dec 25, 2016 6:17 pm
"I can't remember the last time I saw the sky. I must have been a child." I stare at it for far too long.
Last edited December 25, 2016 6:17 pm
Dec 26, 2016 6:06 pm
You hear a thud and look over to see that Sarith has fallen to his knees, staring at the open sky. He mutely shakes his head back and forth, then looks around at you in confusion, "How in the world do you stand it up here? It's so... open..."

Looking around, Mai'ngor has little trouble finding a nice spot to camp, not too far away from the cave entrance.
Dec 26, 2016 8:15 pm
Hunter approaches Sarith and offers her hand to lift him up. "It gives us room to grow."
Dec 26, 2016 8:32 pm
With a small smile, Sarith takes Hunter's hand, "Perhaps you're right. Maybe the tunnels are too restricting," he says thoughtfully.

Naatkinson sent a note to CancerMan
Dec 26, 2016 11:05 pm
Elfog, walking over to join Mai'ngor, offers to take up the first watch while some of the others rest. "Not sure I'd be able to sleep anyhow!" he says, obviously thrilled to be out of the Underdark.
Dec 27, 2016 3:37 am
Before turning in for the evening, Hunter's mood settles. She says, "As much as I am thrilled to finally be above-ground, I am still bothered by the presence of the demonic. I don't think such fiends will be satisfied with just the Underdark, and if we're able to find our way to the surface, surely they can, too.

"I think we have to tell someone. Silverymoon is nearby, perhaps we can find an audience with those in charge and speak to them?"
Dec 27, 2016 3:58 am
"And tell them that demons might be coming? Who will believe us?" After a moment I say "Is it always this warm up here?"
Dec 27, 2016 5:23 pm
Hunter shrugs. "I don't know if they'll believe us or not, but we ought to try. Better to be spoken and disbelieved than to say nothing at all."
Dec 28, 2016 6:44 pm
"Oh alright. Seems only fair I guess."
Dec 28, 2016 8:34 pm
"Agreed. Shall we go at first light? Oh how glorious it will be to see the dawn once more!"
load next

Thread locked