Chapter Five: Bapdis Orjo's Gift of Reconciliation

load previous
Jun 19, 2017 3:50 pm
"Just one," Domarc confirms, humming "one is the loneliest number" as he opens up the chest to see what is inside.
Jun 19, 2017 3:53 pm
The mist swirls around rapidly in what sort of seems like what would be the mist-based body language for an affirmative response.
Jun 19, 2017 3:54 pm
Inside the chest, Domarc finds a neatly folded brown roughspun tunic, two balled-up stockings, a pair of well-worn leather boots, and a small canvas satchel.
Jun 19, 2017 3:57 pm
"Hm. Maybe this wasn't as unintended as I thought," Domarc says. "He at least took his clothes off. Maybe he decided it was better to burn out than to fade away."

Domarc opens up the satchel.
Jun 19, 2017 4:29 pm
OOC:
Is that the laundry hamper?
Felor attempts to attract the elementalist's attention by altering the flames surrounding him using a cantrip.

Cast Thaumaturgy to cause the flames surrounding the elf to flicker, if that's possible with magical(?) flames.
Last edited June 19, 2017 4:29 pm
Jun 19, 2017 9:05 pm
Inside the satchel, Domarc finds a small waterskin, two stoppered clay vials, a small piece of silver shaped like a finger, an octagonal-cut ruby about an inch wide, and a handful of nuts, dried roots, and dried berries wrapped in a small piece of cloth.

The fire burning around the elf is large and fierce enough that any thaumaturgical effects played upon it would be very hard to notice. At any rate, Felor's messing with it does not cause the elf to stir.
Jun 19, 2017 9:43 pm
Domarc surveys the items, not sure what to do with them. Watching Felor's attempts to create colour in the fire gives him an idea, though.

He sets down the bag and casts Message at the figure in the fire. In Elven (interestingly, the spell doesn't seem to care about language): "Are you Pafthinel? We have come seeking you and the knowledge you have about the Iron Sphere. We need your knowledge and then we will leave you in peace."
Quote:
You point your finger toward a creature within range and whisper a message. The target (and only the target) hears the message and can reply in a whisper that only you can hear.
You can cast this spell through solid objects if you are familiar with the target and know it is beyond the barrier. Magical silence, 1 foot of stone, 1 inch of common metal, a thin sheet of lead, or 3 feet of wood blocks the spell. The spell doesn’t have to follow a
straight line and can travel freely around corners or through openings.
Last edited June 19, 2017 9:44 pm
Jun 19, 2017 9:52 pm
The figure in the flames does not respond.
Jun 19, 2017 10:03 pm
Domarc returns to examining the contents of the bag. "It looks like his lunch and some knicknacks," Domarc says. "Anyone have any ideas?"
Jun 19, 2017 10:40 pm
Zangua curses. The warriors sucks in a rapid succession of heavy breaths, leg tamping down in preparation and psyching himself up with memories of glaciers, cold, and ice. He drops his glaive and runs forward, intent on bull-rushing the kneeling figure and tackling it out of the flames.

Rolls

Athletics - (1d20+7)

(20) + 7 = 27

Jun 19, 2017 10:58 pm
Zangua sprints into the column of fire, catching the elf in a flying tackle, and tumbles out the other side with the elf splayed beneath him. He rolls away, smoking, patting down the small burning spots on his clothes.

The elf's eyes snap wide open and he arches his back, his legs convulsing, as he draws in a long, sharp, ragged breath. One by one, the statues stop spewing flames, and the chamber goes dark, save for the enchanted light from Felor's spear.

The elf scrabbles backwards on his feet and elbow, edging back against the wall. His head jerks back and forth and he looks at you all, still taking hard, rasping breaths.

Though he possesses some of that ageless aspect for which elves are known, there is something old and worn about the looks of this elf. His skin is tanned, his eyes deep-set in dark hollows, his hands and feet knobby. He huffs and puffs a few more times before saying, in a strained voice: "Who--who are you?"

The misty form of the jinn circles languidly around the perimeter of the chamber.

Rolls

Zangua fire damage - (1d10)

(4) = 4

Jun 19, 2017 11:44 pm
OOC:
Nice, Zangua!
Felor repeats what Domarc had just said: "Are you Pafthinel? We have come seeking you and the knowledge you have about the Iron Sphere. We need your knowledge and then we will leave you in peace." Felor's voice falters slightly over the last few words. "We" not including the jinn, he thinks.
Jun 19, 2017 11:51 pm
The elf looks terrified, confused, and in considerable physical distress. "I--yes, I am he...the iron what? Please, water--and my tincture..." he leans toward the open chest with a reaching gesture.
Jun 20, 2017 12:13 am
Felor gestures to Domarc: "Domarc, the satchel." He turns back to the elf. "The Iron Sphere of Sthombo - we were told you might know of its purpose or properties. It is of grave importance we find out this information, a great many lives hang in the balance."
Jun 20, 2017 4:37 am
OOC:
So sorry for the delay! I took up second job during the summer, and the whole two-job thing is... taking some getting used to. Feel free to move Leth along with the party if you have to.

How long has he been trapped in there? Leth wonders to himself, staring quizzically at the trapped man prior to his emancipation by Zangua's... unconventional, if not straightforward, method of freeing him.

As Pafthinel begins to speak and asks for his water and tincture, Leth will move a little closer - but not so close as to frighten him - and try to see whether or not the elf needs medical aid.
OOC:
I think those poultices I made haven't quite expired yet; I could use some of them on Pafthinel?
Jun 20, 2017 4:59 am
There aren't any visible wounds on him. He looks a bit leathery, but he isn't burned.
Jun 20, 2017 8:15 am
Zangua stands, double-checking that he has put out all the fires. As the smell of burnt hair assaults his nostrils, he makes a mental note to shave himself bald when he has a chance.

He keeps a special eye on the mist lingering at the edge.
Jun 20, 2017 10:40 pm
Pafthinel seems to be quite fixated on getting some water and his "tinctures," and so far nobody has affirmatively stated that they're giving them to him.
Jun 20, 2017 11:47 pm
Seeing that Pafthinel looks unharmed, Leth moves to help Domarc retrieve the requested items and get them to the elf.
Last edited June 20, 2017 11:47 pm
Jun 20, 2017 11:54 pm
The elf takes the waterskin from Leth's hands as soon as he can reach it and greedily chugs down everything in it, then pops open one of the clay vials and swallows its contents in one gulp. He takes a deep breath and sits up a little straighter, crossing his legs under him. He seems calmer now, but no less wary, and looks at each of you again in turn. "Thank you," he says, his voice clearer. "Now I must ask you, who are you, and how did you come to find me here?" He presses his left palm against the ground and moves it around slightly.

The mist, meanwhile, circles around behind him and stops, gently pooling into a faint cloud.
load next

Thread locked