Chapter Five: Bapdis Orjo's Gift of Reconciliation

load previous
Jun 21, 2017 3:23 am
(In Elven)

"My name is Domarc, and my companions and I come from Bload. A cult seeks the Iron Sphere to perform a foul ritual, and we would stop them if we could. But we do not know how the Sphere works. A friend of ours suggested that you had studied the Sphere during your time in Hazard, and might know of its purpose and function.

We searched for the manifest of the ship that carried you, and deduced from it that you had come here and so we came to seek you out, in the hopes that you yet lived."

Domarc will also cast Message at Paftinel - again in Elvish. "We come with company that is not pleased with you."

Domarc watches the mist closely.
Jun 21, 2017 4:32 am
OOC:
I want to ready an action in case the Djinn tries to attack Pafthinel, but I'm not sure exactly what action I need to ready. Something that will protect him or move him out of harms way; perhaps a diving tackle like what Zangua did to get him out of the flames? What options are available to me that would work by the rules?
thedandyman sent a note to notinventedhere,rocksteady,CancerMan,nubs,GirlGeekWriter
Jun 21, 2017 5:02 am
Pafthinel stiffens as Domarc begins to speak. His eyes narrow as Domarc concludes.

"Bload. An evil land," he says in Elvish. "There is a rot at its heart. The elements were disordered there. I am glad that I dwelt there for a time, that I breathed its air, that I drank its water, that I warmed myself at its fires and stood upon its earth. There is always much to learn from wrongness." He continues massaging the ground with his left hand. "You must forgive me...my mind wanders. You have torn me from a deep dream. Bload...I would never return there. There is a sickness upon that land, and yet, men vie for it, as they do. My work upon the sphere you speak of was mercenary in nature. At times, crude wealth is required to further my studies. I did what I was paid to do. It comes as no surprise that the work might have brought displeasure to some...a lump of honest metal it was, whatever purpose and function is has is only what I gave it. A low and cruel purpose. Beneath me. But the old human families of that city, so swollen with riches...it is not the worst thing I have done...I will answer for it all someday, perhaps...perhaps not. There are those who believe the afterlife of the soul is but another form of dreaming, and that in the true death we return to the elements...I have sought knowledge of this...I have dreamed..." He trails off, his voice going quieter as he wanders off the subject, then abruptly snaps back to attention. "Forgive me. My mind. It is here, and then it is not. Now, before I say any more, I must know how you came to enter this sanctum. Did...did not the Soilchild waylay you?"

As the jinn is currently in mistform, it's not clear what readied actions might be prepared to interdict her should she make a move on Pafthinel.
Jun 21, 2017 5:38 am
Zangua goes to retrieve his glaive, as it occupies his time while the conversation continues in a language he does not understand.
Jun 21, 2017 9:23 am
"We did encounter a large... beast made of earth, yes. Some smaller mud creatures goaded it into attacking us and we had to defend ourselves. But please, tell us, what was the purpose and function you gave the sphere? It is important we know, so as to try and stop the foul deeds which are planned. Many lives hang in the balance.

Felor watches intently has the elementalist massages the ground. Arcana check: Is he trying to do some elementaling or summon the earth golem?
notinventedhere sent a note to thedandyman
Last edited June 21, 2017 9:23 am

Rolls

Arcana check - (1d20+1)

(14) + 1 = 15

Jun 21, 2017 9:51 am
Terra is present but has little to offer but a watchful gaze on their surroundings. She listens to the elf with interest, filling in the blanks on purpose of their journey. A hand steadies her bow resting on her shoulder, the other against a dagger on her hip as she studies their surroundings and the mist.

GirlGeekWriter sent a note to CancerMan
Last edited June 21, 2017 9:57 am

Rolls

Survival check - searching for gut feeling on where the next threat is - (1d20+5)

(11) + 5 = 16

Jun 21, 2017 4:02 pm
Domarc circles to put himself between the mist and the elf, making sure to keep his hands away from all weapons.

(In Elven)
"We apologize for the inadvertent damage we have caused to your servants and possibly your...experiments. We have no wish to cause harm to anything or anyone here. Your Soilchild was reluctant to attack us, but as my friend has said, it was goaded by the mudmen. We have lost a companion on the way, and nearly lost a second to a watery fate. We wish nothing more than to leave this place.

We would not have come if the need was not urgent. Do I understand you to mean that the House of Orjo hired you to enchant the Sphere? To what end?"
Jun 21, 2017 4:02 pm
Pafthinel abruptly draws up his left hand. "Defend yourselves--you mean--he's dead, isn't he? You killed him."

Felor had the sense he was trying to do something with those hand motions, but just what, he's not sure.

Terra doesn't get a sense that Pafthinel is likely to attack them--at least, not in any obvious physical way--but the jinn's lurking presence unsettles her. Even now, it drifts around Pafthinel's seated form in a slow, barely perceptible embrace.

Edit: Crossposted with Domarc, stand by for update...
Jun 21, 2017 4:22 pm
Erk! Sorry. Sometimes I have a sense I should just keep my mouth shut.
Jun 21, 2017 5:42 pm
Domarc paces awkwardly behind Pafthinel as he speaks, but the mist flows easily through and around his legs.

"I see," Pafthinel says. "This saddens me. The Soilchild...I had grown attached to him." He takes a deep breath and sighs. "The House of Orjo. Yes. That was my employer. They showed me the Sphere, this great trophy they had taken, so sure they were that it contained puissant secrets...and yet it was nothing more than crudely-worked sky iron. Impressive in size, certainly, but that was all. At that point in my studies, sky iron held nothing more to interest me.

"It was the youth, the little one they were raising up to serve as the child-lord of Hazard, who came up with the idea, I believe. Do you know the story of the Troian Bull? That must have been where he got the germ of it. Hazard was making peace with their rival, that old city on the coast they took the Sphere from--I forget the name of it--and the Orjo clan found this peace necessary but humiliating. How bitterly they complained about it at night, while by day they sat in the negotiations that were making it possible! And the young one heard all this, little Bapdis Orjo, and he went to his grandfather with the plot he had devised. He suggested that they return the Sphere to the rival city as a gift of peace and reconciliation, but that they enchant it in such a way that when the time was right, they could use it to strike back in revenge.

"Of course, they dismissed this plan at first. Any such enchantment would be easy to detect, and the peace would be spoiled as soon as the Sphere was handed over. But the elders of the Orjo clan relished the concept and spoke of how they wished they could make the plan feasible. I...I took it up as an intriguing challenge, and...I had my own interests to look after. I told them I could find a way, if they would provide funds for further research and acquisition of materials. In truth, I had thought of a solution very quickly after I set my mind to it. But the Orjos used me as little more than a court mage, they did not understand what I was capable of.

"So I put my theory into practice, and on one moonless night we put it to the test, and it worked. They sent Bapdis Orjo's gift back home to their rivals the very next morning. It was a very clever solution, if I may be permitted to speak so highly of myself, in that it did not require enchanting the Sphere at all. Through my explorations of the Elemental Plane of Earth, I became aware of the existence of the Demi-Plane of Magnetism, and so I was able to attune the Sphere to a fixed point in the Werld. A proper arrangement of ordinary magnetic stones at that point would collapse the magnetic field around the Sphere into a vortex, creating a conduit between the two from anywhere in the Multiverse. Of course, the Orjos were of limited imagination, and only plotted to march an army through it one day and sack the city, just as Troia was sacked by the warriors hidden in the belly of the wooden bull.

"As I said, I take little pride in facilitating acts of war, but what the Orjos paid me enabled me to go about my work independently, here in this place, freed at last from any Werldly concerns. I suppose now they see the time as right to open the conduit and make war. If you would put a stop to it...you could destroy the Sphere. That would suffice. Or simply remove it to an unexpected location. Under the sea, perhaps. I am proud of the planar and elemental magic I worked with the Sphere, I feel it was quite innovative. But I have no desire to see it used for its intended purpose, and now that you know what that is, you should be able to thwart it easily. I hope you will leave this place now, leave me to grieve my Soilchild, and leave me to return to my pursuit of knowledge."

At the end of this explanation, you all notice that the mist has settled around him and rises nearly up to his chest, swirling under his breath.
Jun 21, 2017 6:06 pm
Domarc pauses to cast Message at Paftinel again - "Ware the mist!"

"The House of Orjo is long fallen, and the group that seeks to use the Sphere seems to believe it is somehow linked to a prophecy about the downfall of Bload, and a crown and the tomb of the Old. Does any of that have meaning to you?"

Domarc pauses again, eyeing the mist anxiously.

"Is the Shrine of Culsu the point you attuned the Sphere to, Pafthinel? Could...could it be used to open portals to places you did not intend?"
Jun 21, 2017 6:07 pm
"You getting your answers?" Zangua says to Domarc, gauging how the conversation is going since he doesn't understand the language. "How's about you explain to the rest of us, 'cause maybe some of us got more... questions."
Jun 21, 2017 6:27 pm
Pafthinel glances down, seeming to notice the mist for the first time, and frowns. He slowly gets up to a standing position. The mist rises with him.

"I know nothing of prophecies. The inexactitude of divinatory magic has always frustrated me. The shrine, yes...that was the place. That end of the conduit is tied to that spot in the Werld, the other end is aligned with the natural magnetic field projected by the sky-iron of the Sphere--it goes where the Sphere goes. One fixed point, one movable, and one conduit between them." He inhales some of the mist and waves his hand in front of his face. "This vapor, what is it?"
Jun 21, 2017 8:19 pm
"A jinn who seeks revenge on you, inadvertently freed," Domarc says, concerned that it seems Pafthinel was not getting the magical warnings. "Apologies, Zangua - the Sphere was enchanted by Pafthinel to be the end point of a portal that could be opened in the Shrine of Culsu; a means of transporting an army from Hazard to wherever the Sphere is."

"What happens if the Sphere was brought to the Shrine?"
Last edited June 21, 2017 8:21 pm
Jun 21, 2017 8:27 pm
"A jinn--what--the marid? She is loose!?" Pafthinel staggers back, waving his arms in the air before him. His mouth hangs open; the mist rushes in, he clamps his mouth shut. There is a look of panic in his eyes. He covers his mouth with his hand and shakes his head as the mist swirls around him.
Jun 21, 2017 9:09 pm
Zangua stands where he is, listening to the explanation. At the change in the elf's behavior, Zangua shifts his attention to the mist. His expression is impassive.
Jun 21, 2017 9:30 pm
Domarc watches Pafthinel, concerned but uncertain as to how to help - he has no spells left, and swords are no use against mist. His mind is cluttered with thoughts and possibilities of the nature of the Sphere. A conduit, he thinks, for an invading army. That was the intent. But why assume the direction of travel was only one way? Why couldn't someone - or something - use the Sphere to enter the Shrine?

"Pafthinel! Does the conduit run in both directions?"
Jun 21, 2017 9:36 pm
Pafthinel finally opens his mouth again to scream, "GET HER OUT OF ME! PLEASE!" as the mist clings to him, seeping into his ears, eyes, nose, and mouth, while he reels around the chamber.

He does not address your question, but go ahead and assume that the Elvish word for "conduit" that he used implies a two-way passage.
Jun 21, 2017 10:51 pm
"I don't think he liked that question," Zangua observes, imagining what they're talking about.
Jun 22, 2017 8:34 pm
Anybody gonna try intervening here?
load next

Thread locked