Ravenloft game thread

load previous
Jul 23, 2015 10:03 am
Grizel utters a word of power and slashes mightily at the worg in front of her before following hot on the warhorse's heels to carve a path towards Iskandil.
OOC:
*Bonus action for Thunderous Smite vs. Worg 6. Extra 2d6 damage and Str save or get knocked back 10 feet and prone.
*Grizel then charges Worg 1 with Divine Smite.
Last edited July 23, 2015 10:11 am

Rolls

Greatsword attack vs Worg 6 - (1d20+6)

(13) + 6 = 19

Greatsword damage - (2d6+3)

(45) + 3 = 12

Thunderous Smite damage - (2d6)

(64) = 10

Greatsword attack vs Worg 1 - (1d20+6)

(15) + 6 = 21

Greatsword damage vs worg 1 - (2d6+3)

(14) + 3 = 8

Divine Smite damage vs worg 1 - (2d8)

(26) = 8

Rerolling the ace on that last damage roll [Great Weapon Fighting] - (1d6)

(1) = 1

Rerolling the reroll - (1d6, RA)

(2) = 2

Sorry for all the rolls! I am supposed to reroll aces & deuces - (1d6, RA)

(2) = 2

*facepalm* - (1d6, RA)

(62) = 8

Jul 23, 2015 10:26 am
Great Weapon Fighting stipulates that you must stick with the new roll, (in other words, you might re-roll a 2 and get a 1). You aren't supposed to re-roll a re-roll, or it might as well be 1d4+2
I also wondered when you figured out you could attack at the same time as your mount!

Worg 6 takes 22 damage (massive damage, attack one) and dies instantly in shock.

Grizel charges at Worg 1, dealing 16 damage (massive damage) and stunning the creature!

Rolls

Massive damage CON save - (1d20+3)

(10) + 3 = 13

Thunderous Smite STR save - (1d20+3)

(6) + 3 = 9

Massive damage effect - (1d10)

(1) = 1

Worg 1 CON save massive damage - (1d20+3)

(3) + 3 = 6

Worg 1 system shock - (1d10)

(5) = 5

Jul 23, 2015 10:32 am
Biscuitfiend says:
Great Weapon Fighting stipulates that you must stick with the new roll, (in other words, you might re-roll a 2 and get a 1). You aren't supposed to re-roll a re-roll, or it might as well be 1d4+2
I also wondered when you figured out you could attack at the same time as your mount!
OOC: Thanks for correcting me! Will try to remember next time :-)
Last edited July 23, 2015 10:40 am
Jul 25, 2015 7:22 am
Sindar (28)
Steel (18)
Iskandil (17)
Lysander (14)

Ireena (11)
Worg 1 (10, near death, stunned)
Grizel and Alastor (8)
Hotay (7)
Faelor (7)
Katerina (7)
Jul 25, 2015 1:36 pm
Iskandil sees the last remaining worg is wounded and backs away, shifting back into his elfin shape as he moves towards Ireena and Hotay.

"You're a donkey with the heart of a chicken," he says, his soothing tone at odds with his irritable words. He takes hold of the reins and continues trying to calm the beast. "They're only worgs. They're nothing to be afraid of."

Rolls

Animal Handling - (1d20+7)

(7) + 7 = 14

Jul 25, 2015 3:09 pm
Hotay grunts appreciatively now that his master has dealt with the threat, and clings to any comfort he can as the mist presses in.

"They are dead?" Ireena asks amusedly in her distinctive accent. "We should go indoors. Beasts too...there is no other way".
Jul 26, 2015 2:02 am
As I see the last worg struck down, I look around incredulously and shake the magical energy off like water but in a far more festive array of colors. "Yes. Indoors at once I think."
Jul 26, 2015 4:00 pm
Grizel stalks over to the last, stunned, but still breathing worg and hacks at it savagely with her huge sword. She then takes Alastor's bridle and starts ushering her companions into the house after Ireena. She keeps a sharp lookout for more foes as the others enter before leading Alastr inside. She closes and bars the door before standing guard, sword still drawn.
OOC: What was the nature of the evil I sensed back at the house we passed? Was it worg or was it something else?
Last edited July 27, 2015 5:12 am

Rolls

Attack 1 - (1d20+6)

(4) + 6 = 10

advantage vs stunned - (1d20+6)

(14) + 6 = 20

Damage - (2d6+3)

(11) + 3 = 5

Attack 2 - (1d20+6)

(14) + 6 = 20

advantage vs stunned - (1d20+6)

(7) + 6 = 13

Damage - (2d6+3)

(21) + 3 = 6

Attack 1 damage reroll - (2d6+3)

(43) + 3 = 10

Attack 2 damage reroll - (2d6+3)

(66) + 3 = 15

Perception (keeping a lookout) - (1d20+3)

(10) + 3 = 13

another roll in case disadvantage due to mists - (1d20+3)

(20) + 3 = 23

Jul 26, 2015 5:54 pm
Iskandil will lead Hotay into the house, and the cart as well if the door is wide enough. He shows no sign of having taken any harm from the worg's attacks as he unhitches Hotay from the cart. He unpacks a bottle of apple brandy from a wooden case, and spreads the straw it was packed in on the floor under the donkey. He sets the bottle on the table and gives Ireena a careful look.

"Is this entire land overrun by these deranged wolves?" he asks. "And you, are you well? Has the vampyr continued its attacks?" Then, realizing they've hardly really had the chance to be introduced, he clears his throat. "Forgive me. I am Iskandil. How can it be that your father has been dead the past ten days, when we recieved a letter from him that was dated the day before yesterday."
Jul 27, 2015 11:03 am
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
OOC: What was the nature of the evil I sensed back at the house we passed? Was it worg or was it something else?
There were no creature types you recognise, you just recall seeing an evil presence in the building. There is no way to tell what kind of evil was lurking.

Everyone gains 85 EXP from defeating the Worg pack - add to character sheet
http://tbx.me/US.gCa.png
Ireena leads you and your mounts indoors, and Grizel closes the heavy door onto the swirling mists. You notice that the day has grown unnaturally dark.

The interior of the house is well furnished, although the fixtures show sign of considerable wear. Obvious oddities are the boarded-up windows and the overuse of holy symbols in every room. The stench in the house is horrible.

There is a large opening inside the house. Ireena instructs you to keep your mounts here - any that are left outside will not survive the night in Barvia and so all livestock is led into buildings. "You have horses like Strahd. I know they might prefer to sleep in hay, so I will fetch what I can later. For now, please enter..."

She leads you to the first door on the right of a corridor up ahead. There are four loungers which each could comfortably fit three people each, and four tables, spread to each corner of the room. She beckons you to sit in the south side of the room, and takes the very corner.

"If that is wine, may I drink? I have never tasted the product of another land, from which no doubt you all are from. Perhaps we will need some comfort for the news I must break to you."

She explains to you that the Burgomaster is in a side drawing room — dead. He is lying in a room that is dark, despite the candles burning in his honour.

"I am afraid you are all trapped in our community, from what we have gathered. I don't recall any villager ever entering Barovia from outside, but those who leave are choked by the fog. That is, those who can survive the dogs. They attack the house each night, tearing apart any living flesh that strays outside, with other, terrible, unspeakable creatures. My father could not stand the assault and his heart gave in one night, and no-one of the village has enough steel to help Ismark to bury him. The wolves stopped attacking the very night after father died.

Those dogs outside, though...they are servants of the Count, warped by his magic. We call them 'Worgs'.

I must tell you the truth, one that the villagers cannot take but I am in the hopes that you might. I have been twice bitten by this creature, Strahd, who calls himself Vampyr...he comes here and drains my blood, like I am a goat to be milked. I have been defiled by that evil creature, and what is more, the Holy Symbol has been stolen. It was the one thing the creature was afraid of, and now I have no means of protection other than your timely appearance here. Perhaps you are sent of the Gods to me?".

You say you have a letter from my father - please let me see it? I was not aware that he had sent word outside"
Jul 27, 2015 2:35 pm
Grizel remains standing, sword now sheathed. She grasps her amulet grimly. "This Strahd is a tyrant and that makes him a monster even if he didn't drink the blood of women and command worgs. He's got to be destroyed!"
Last edited July 27, 2015 3:18 pm
Jul 27, 2015 2:58 pm
Katerina listens to the story with a wary ear. Something is not adding up with all this. "We have somehow been beguiled into traveling here. If your father did not beseech our company, then who has?"

Rolls

Insight on Ireena - (1d20+2)

(10) + 2 = 12

Jul 27, 2015 3:02 pm
Ireena appears troubled, but you feel her intentions are true. She is just as confused as you about the letter.
Jul 28, 2015 4:38 pm
"What of the messenger? A man in bright clothes and a wide hat that hid his eyes in shadow." Lysander will give as much detail as he can about the mam from the inn last night. "He lured at least one other man into the same trap using your father's name. The other victim may have been a horse thief, but nobody deserves the gruesome death that befell him."
Jul 28, 2015 4:56 pm
"He sounds like he may be one of the travelling folk - they sometimes call themselves gypsies. They camp along the West path, over the other side of the river Ivlis...they own the Tavern here too. Madam Eva is a very wise woman, perhaps you should visit her? She can read of the fates and stars, and the gods bless her. I've heard she has a potion to escape the mists! It's only a rumour, but it would make sense as to how my father's word would leave the village. I am glad he tried to protect me...I only wish he had not left me here alone.

You say a man was killed - you think one of the gypsies is responsible? They are a law to themselves but they would do no harm unless they had good reason to.

It is a mystery to me why anyone would use my father's name in this scheme. They clearly know much about me".

The original letter is no doubt a forgery!

The stench of the Burgomaster's corpse still seeps through with the door shut, as if it is pressed into the walls.
Jul 28, 2015 6:40 pm
I graciously accept Ireena's hospitality, bowing to her with a diplomat's smile before taking me seat and surveying my surroundings, but not commenting on them. After listening to the beginnings of the conversation, I angle my posture in order to keep a better eye on the door that separates us from the late Burgomaster. The discovery of a forgery wasn't really a surprise to me. At least we were making progress toward the truth.
Jul 28, 2015 6:46 pm
Grizel is trying her best not to gag at the stench. Might there be something more sinister in this house than an honest man's dead body?
OOC: Burning another use of Divine Sense
Jul 28, 2015 10:38 pm
The house has been desecrated in some small way, though there is no true evil lurking nearby.

(Doesn't work for creatures behind cover btw)
Jul 29, 2015 12:42 am
"Do you know a girl named Gertrude? She is from the town we are told. She is believed to ba another victim of Strand."
Jul 29, 2015 9:41 am
"Yes, she was such a naive girl. Her mother never let her outside the house unattended, and I assume that's why she ran. She'll be here somewhere, there are many abandoned houses in Barovia. As for Mad Mary...she never shuts UP with her wailing! It's been over a tenday. Strahd may have claimed her, but it's too dangerous to look enough to be sure".
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.