Ravenloft game thread

load previous
Sep 29, 2015 2:18 pm
As Grizel marches ahead, I follow directly in her wake.
Sep 29, 2015 6:42 pm
The group finishes crossing the bridge and approaches the main doors, now on solid ground. The ornate massive doors hang open. Fluttering torches cast dim yellow flickers of light from the entry way. Twenty feet into the castle, a second set of doors suddenly swings open effortlessly and the sounds of organ music flow out. Overhead, in the entryway, two statues of dragons glare down, their eyes flickering in the torchlight.
Sep 30, 2015 6:32 pm
Victor retrieves Nightshade and joins the rest in the main entrance. He tries to see if he can see anything in the direction the doors opened.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+2)

(9) + 2 = 11

Oct 1, 2015 7:22 am
Grizel is half-consumed by hate against the vile creature who makes his lair here but she is no idiot - she knows she walks into the very jaws of death. She starts to swear in a low voice, but audibly enough for Zinn and Victor to hear, "If by my dyin' I rid these poor people of this monster...". She trails off and bites her lip when she realizes she's unintentionally spoken the oath out loud, embarrassed at the clumsy words - she's not one for fancy phrases and solemn, spoken oaths.

Suddenly, something occurs to her, "Where are th' townfolk as went chargin' up 'ere the boy spoke of?"
Last edited October 1, 2015 7:22 am
Oct 1, 2015 7:43 am
"No sign of em' yet. My bet is through there," I gesture towards the open door, "Or already beyond help. Probably both." I start forward, "Shall we? If an empty carriage, old bridge, foreboding fog and the advice of a local hasn't stopped us I don't see why a door inviting us in should."
Oct 1, 2015 7:49 am
Grizel nods to Zinn and enters the castle.
OOC: How tall are these doors & corridors? As long as it is possible Grizel will stay mounted.
Oct 1, 2015 8:49 am
Still staying very close to the group, I look around just realizing the lack of villagers we were told of. "Very odd, indeed. I suppose they could be inside, but something tells me we won't be seeing them at all. Either we were lied to, coercing us to come here ... or they have already perished."
Oct 1, 2015 11:18 am
"Or they've been turned into his wolf and bat minions. I was his pawn for a few moments. Why not some villagers?" Grizel shudders at the horrible thought, then turns even more determined.
Oct 5, 2015 1:48 pm
Cobwebs hang from dust-covered columns of this great hall, illuminated by torches fluttering in iron sconces. The dust and webs cast strange, moving shadows across the faces of stone gargoyles squatting motionlessly on the rim of the domed ceiling. Cracked and faded ceiling frescoes are covered by centuries of decay. Two doors of bronze stand closed to the east, directly ahead. To the north, a wide staircase climbs into darkness. All the while, sad and majestic organ tones float about you from a lit hallway to the south (right on map)
Oct 5, 2015 3:20 pm
Taking slow, careful steps closer to the middle of the hall, I stare in wonder how this place might have looked when darkness didn't rule it. I keep my breath and steps silent, straining to hear anything over the melancholy melody.
[OOC: Oops. That bonus is suppose to be +5 to my Perception. That'll be a 15 total.]
Last edited October 5, 2015 3:21 pm

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+1)

(10) + 1 = 11

Oct 6, 2015 10:40 am
The melody is accompanied by a crescendo of distant thunder. The music is loudest from a set of closed double doors facing away from the castle entrance.
Oct 9, 2015 3:24 am
"I feel we are being led around by the nose here. I wonder if it would be wise to not follow the breadcrumbs into this particular wood? What say you?", Victor looks to the others.
Oct 9, 2015 8:21 pm
What am I doin' here? Have I really got what it'll take t' bring this Vlad down? What's it matter if I die here today? I'm not scared t' die, but what's the point in dyin' if if I only fail? Lousy champion o' good that'd make o' me! An' who am I t' say what's wrong an' what's right anyhow?

I've traveled all over defendin' folk, simple folk who just wanna be left in peace, against mad kings an' evil lords. But folk are like sheep - they need someone lookin' after 'em. Are folk better off after they been saved? What they need's a good leader who'll love 'em an' look after 'em. I've seen folk who didn' wanna be left without a ruler an' all after I took down their overlords... wanted me to rule 'em! Bawled like babies. I wonder if it woulda been so bad t' live in the castle an' rule 'em proper, be the kind Lady Grizel?

Would folk wanna be saved, really, if they knew what's good for 'em?
Last edited October 9, 2015 8:21 pm
Oct 10, 2015 12:15 am
"I think even the breadcrumbs won't get us out of here, Victor. We are on a path that only goes forward, and I don't think there will be many forks in our road." I chuckle and add, "Destiny is being rather forceful, isn't she?"
Last edited October 10, 2015 12:15 am
Oct 10, 2015 7:32 am
I shrug, "You think destiny is our guide here? I wager that it matters not which path we follow, the breadcrumbs are fences and we'll be directed to the same end." Having said my piece, I stride forward and lean into the closed double doors ahead in an effort to open them.
Oct 10, 2015 11:38 am
"I know this creature perhaps better than all of you, and it would be a mistake to play in his games where there is no need. I stand with the sea-faring lady - we should take a different path."

Shunning the south hallway with the music, Zinnarath pushes the heavy doors open to reveal a long passage. This long, dusty hall leads eastward into the dark heart of Ravenloft. Statues line the hallway on both sides, their eyes seeming to watch you as you pass.

http://catchmypicture.com/f/YJgkzf/940.jpg
Oct 11, 2015 1:00 am
Justice does not say a word. What can she say? She has made herself look like a fool in front of the church. Justice stands behind Grizel, her smile slowly returning. She still might have a chance...
"Where?" Justice tentatively asks.
Last edited October 11, 2015 1:00 am
Oct 11, 2015 3:13 am
Victor walks into this new opened chamber, and walks to the first statue he sees. He inspects the craftsmanship and tries to discern what details he can.

Rolls

Investigation? - (1d20+4)

(11) + 4 = 15

Oct 11, 2015 6:51 am
Victor walks close to a statue, mesmerised by it's cold gaze. It merely stands and watches, now seeming more lifeless than before, it's eyes bulging in their stone sockets. It seems the architecture is an old style, lost with the death of the artist who created it. It's pose is solemn, a military or religious pose; dressed in ceremonial robe, perhaps this is a martyr. There aren't any notable unusual features.

Another statue catches your eye from down the hall, seeming to watch you, searching deep down into your being.

Looking down the corridor, it seems to go on forever into total darkness. (Those with darkvision can just make out the grey outline of double doors once you begin walking). You hear the rain start to beat the courtyard outside, growing heavier quickly and accompanied by a flash of thunder.

Rolls

Secret Roll

Oct 12, 2015 2:57 am
Victor shudders involuntarily as he looks at the statue, even still he can admire the craftsmanship involved in its creation. "The crafstmanship of these is... remarkable. Artisan work indeed. Though, I feel there is more at work than mere stone", Victor announces as he raps the statue with his knuckle.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.