The Temple of Elemental Evil game thread

load previous
Sep 20, 2015 6:43 pm
Matthias will watch Grumble with interest as he tends to Anrin's wounds, curious to see if he can pick up any useful information. He will also continue playing dice with Darf.
Sep 20, 2015 7:43 pm
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
Kaxaon: "Got any more of that stuff, man?"
"I have a little left, but there's plenty more knockleweed in the swamp. I'll be happy to swab some on if you ever drop unconscious." He looks at Darf. "Good thing you got to him in time! Nasty thing, poison...I once got stung by a scorpion and lay in a fever for a week. I couldn't see straight; kept imagining pixies were shaving my arms!" Grumble chuckles. "So...time for some snake soup, or do we want to try for lizard stew? There's a great big lizard in that room over there that that brave gentleman is guarding" (meaning Elmo) "and it'll be an hour or two before this holy warrior will awaken. Who's hungry?"

OOC: Do we know how long Anrin has to rest to regain 1 HP? Was the d4 roll one of the secret notes, or does that still have to be determined?
Sep 21, 2015 2:35 am
When Grumble speaks of food Darf's face lights up. "I say we eat the lizard and save the serpant for supper." he says standing up. He then walks to the door way and waits to help deal with the lizard.
Sep 21, 2015 7:11 am
Grumble, possibly committing a foul of gambling etiquette, picks up the dice, ambles after the dwarf, and hands him the dice. "You forgot these." Then he turns to Elmo and claps him on the shoulder. "Nice job guarding the door, my man. Knew I could count on you to not let our meal get away!" Grumble throws open the door again and thrusts his staff forward into the room to illuminate it. "Who wants first crack at it?"

Rolls

Roll for initiative (in case we're at that point) - (1d20+1)

(6) + 1 = 7

Sep 21, 2015 7:12 am
Grumble applies the lotion, and the active ingredient turns the paste a murky blue. Wait. Was it red knockleweed or blue?

Blue knockleweed is much more common, but looks very similar to humanoids until processed. It still works (just) but is much weaker and has a side effect...

Anrin wakes up in 30m instead of 1h as I rolled. (Now down to 15m as time has passed) He's also got an itchy rash, as aggressive yellow pimples start to show up on the areas to which the lotion was applied
Sep 21, 2015 7:14 am
The knockleweed paste also has a distinctive aroma, like peaches and mildew, though Grumble has long since ceased to notice it.
Sep 21, 2015 7:40 am
The group begins a short rest, and Anrin awakens, itching.

Kobort and Turuko also return.

"Nothing there. Nothing at all. Why pick swamp plants though? They looks itchy"

All may roll a hit die. Grumble gains 10exp bonus
Sep 21, 2015 12:12 pm
Anrin wakes up, groaning and shielding his eyes from the light of the torch. He looks weakly at his itching wound, and then sits up, gathering his wits.

Rolls

Hit die recovery - (1d10)

(2) = 2

Sep 21, 2015 12:58 pm
After a brief rest spent scratching at the knockleweed paste smeared on his snakebite, Kaxaon joins Grumble, Elmo, and Darf. "Where's that lizard you were talking about then?"

Rolls

Hit die - (1d12+3)

(9) + 3 = 12

Sep 21, 2015 1:25 pm
Matthias will help Anrin getting back to his feet, then will head over to where the others are preparing to catch their dinner.
Sep 21, 2015 10:16 pm
Spugnoir is peering over the walled-off downward stairway, as if hoping that the others will pay attention to him and follow. Kobort stands facing a wall away from the group, very still and tranquil, while Kobort has plonked himself on the floor. Elmo waits by the door, cleaning his axe and occasionally lifting an eyelid at the group and trying to absorb conversation
Sep 21, 2015 10:32 pm
Noticing Spugnoir by the stairwell, Kaxaon says to Grumble, Darf, and Matthias, "If we're catching this lizard we better do it quickly. My employer is getting restless." Without pausing for breath after saying that, he steps through the double doors and by the light of Grumble's staff, advances on the lizard.

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20-1)

(2) - 1 = 1

Chain attack - (1d20+6)

(5) + 6 = 11

damage - (2d6+6)

(14) + 6 = 11

damage re-roll [Savage Attacker] - (2d6+6)

(35) + 6 = 14

Sep 21, 2015 10:36 pm
Here's where we are, right?
Turuko: staring at the wall
Kobort: sitting on the floor
Anrin: slowly getting up
Matthias: helping Anrin up
Spugnoir: partway down the stairs
Elmo, Kaxaon, Grumble and Darf: standing by the double doors as Grumble throws them open

...I don't know where Mahdi, Johnny, or Sanora (and her servants) are. Of course, Grumble doesn't know any of these people well enough to miss them if they just disappear, so...

Also, I apologize for rolling my own initiative earlier; I'd forgotten that the DM rolls the initiative in this game.
Sep 21, 2015 10:50 pm
Grumble follows Kaxaon, eager to explore (and a little hungry).
Last edited September 21, 2015 10:51 pm
Sep 22, 2015 11:24 am
The giant lizard is in the south end of the room, near an intact chest. In this partially collapsed chamber, the remains of cots and plain wooden chests indicate that this was once a barracks room for castle guards—undoubtedly the human sort.

As Kaxaon advances on the lizard, it retaliates with a show of it's powerful limbs and forked purple tongue. Positions as below (map now available in the thread):
spaceseeker19 says:

Turuko: staring at the wall
Kobort: sitting on the floor
Anrin: slowly getting up
Matthias: helping Anrin up
Spugnoir: partway down the stairs
Elmo, Kaxaon, Grumble and Darf: standing by the double doors as Grumble throws them open
Anrin gains another 1hp upon waking from the knockleweed paste, taking him to 4hp

Round 1
Lighting: bright (grumble's staff)
Darf (18)
Matthias (15)
Elmo (15)
Anrin (13)
Lizard (9)
Grumble (2)
Kaxaon (1)

Rolls

Secret Roll

IN for Darf, Grumble, Anrin, Matthias, Elmo - (1d20+3, 1d20+1, 1d20+2, 1d20+2, 1d20+3)

1d20+3 : (15) + 3 = 18

1d20+1 : (1) + 1 = 2

1d20+2 : (11) + 2 = 13

1d20+2 : (13) + 2 = 15

1d20+3 : (12) + 3 = 15

Sep 22, 2015 1:02 pm
After helping Anrin up, Matthias moves down the hallway. Knowing something is in the room he will prepare to launch a spell once the path is clear

Ready action to cast Firebolt on the lizard when there is a clear shot

Rolls

Firebolt on the Lizard - (1d20+5)

(3) + 5 = 8

Firebolt Damage - (1d10)

(7) = 7

Sep 23, 2015 1:18 am
Darf hangs back by the door with his bow pulled, ready to shoot the lizard when the best opportunity comes .

Ooc- just so there isnt any confusion if i said "he readies to shoot the lizard when sneak attack will become applicable" would that work?
Last edited September 23, 2015 1:19 am
Sep 23, 2015 5:14 am
If the lizard is still alive (and hasn't knocked Grumble out) by his turn in the initiative order, Grumble will speak "Rakh Takh Fazakh!" to send three glowing bolts of energy shaped like hawks screeching through the air to pierce the alarmingly large reptile (Tassergon's Tremendous Trajectiles, his master's "skin" of magic missile).

Having lived a solitary life talking to himself for so many years, Danj doesn't really even comprehend the idea of subtlety.

Rolls

Three trajectiles' damage - (3d4+3)

(413) + 3 = 11

Sep 24, 2015 3:51 pm
Darf takes aim, and Matthias' firebolt hits a wall, lighting the lizard's eyes with a glow. Elmo steps through the group with his axe, bracing defensively and giving a nod to Darf. He swings at the lizard while Darf takes his shot.

(That's fine for a ready action, pretty much the same as your last one. Btw your attack bonus should be +5: DEX + proficiency bonus)

Elmo's axe meets the lizard hard on the back at the same instant that the mouth bites onto his armoured thigh. He winces, shaking the lizard's head. Grumbles spell smashes into the lizard with an almost metallic clang.

The lizard drops dead, thrown backwards by the force of the spell and bringing Elmo harmlessly to the ground.

Darf, Matthias and Grumble gain 12exp and lunch

Rolls

Elmo axe - (1d20+7)

(13) + 7 = 20

Darf shortbox - (1d20+5)

(1) + 5 = 6

damage - (1d8+5)

(7) + 5 = 12

Lizard bites Elmo - (1d20+4)

(18) + 4 = 22

damage - (1d8+2)

(7) + 2 = 9

Sep 24, 2015 10:32 pm
"That was a mighty blow! Care for some of this?" Grumble will offer his paste to Elmo.

Then he'll try introducing himself to the others again. "I'm Danj, by the way, though many call me 'Grumble' for some reason. What do you like to be called?"

As they are doing introductions, Grumble will amble over and salvage some more reptile for lunch. He never knows when his next meal may be, so he feels like he's got to get the edible stuff when it's available!
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.