Game Play: Welcome to White Oak

load previous
Sep 25, 2015 7:34 am
"You a gracious hostess and you serve good food. As you can tell, we want to help. Is there anyone here who has seen these Gobos, or someone who can show us around where the raids happened? Oh, and someone in charge we should talk to about helping?"
Sep 25, 2015 7:55 am
Valrakas was about to poke more fun at the always-too-serious Cyriel but as always, the level-headed Erevior was able to bring the conversation back on track. Unfortunately, the minotaur was still in the middle of an unseemly fit of guffawing.
Sep 25, 2015 10:17 am
"Thank you Erevior for showing the maturity this matter needs. Lady, I am sure we can help you. Even the big guy, when not making unfunny jokes, is a valuable asset when dealing with... er, Gobos. " *Why do they call them Gobos, it doesn't even save syllables?*
Sep 25, 2015 2:43 pm
Valrakas suddeny slams his ale mug down on the table, drawing countless looks from worried tavern patrons. "Ye want serious? I'll show ye serious when it matters. I'll skewer those nasty little fuckers on me horns an' laugh while I bathe in their blood!" The hulking minotaur's horns glint menacingly. Then he surprisingly he laughs merrily again. With a wink at Vex and a grin at the barmaid, "Another ale, love. Being serious is thirsty work! Aye!"
Last edited September 25, 2015 2:43 pm
Sep 25, 2015 5:47 pm
The women looks on in amusement as Cyriel and Valrakas banter back and forth. As they continue on she leans in towards Vex and Erevior:

"Your offers of help are certainly wonderful news to the people of White Oak. I'm not sure how we'd ever be able to repay you, but know this; none of you will ever have to pay to eat at The Broken Spoon! You'll want to talk to Abram, "Mayor Dale" we call him. He's not really a mayor but he's the one who always makes sure that the citizens are taken care of. Put forth some of his own money so that Bob and I can keep this place open and feed the workers through these tough times."

She stands back again and smiles as Valrakas asks for another Ale.

"Our pleasure friend! One more round for the table and I'll have Bob show you to Abram's place. He knows more about them damned Picts than anyone else here."

I'll have some more tonight, just thought I'd get in a little post while I had the chance.
Sep 25, 2015 6:42 pm
Vex laughs as Val's jokes clash with Cyriel's seriousness. Sometimes they could be so entertaining to watch.

After the barmaid delivers the next round he will raise his mug in toast, "To good drink, fine companionship... and dead goblins!"
Sep 25, 2015 10:03 pm
As you’re finishing up your drinks the man behind the counter limps over to the table supporting his weight with a staff as he walks. Standing at least six and half feet tall and twice as wide as any of the others in the room you can easily tell he would have made an excellent ally (or formidable opponent) in his not too distant past. Looking down at the seated minotaur a large grin appears on his face and through a laugh says, "In me younger days you and me be arm wrassling for that ale ya drinking."

He introduces himself as Bob and after some small talk while you all finish up your drinks he leads you out the back of the tavern. "Abram Dale’s a good man. Not much of a worker like the rest of us here but he’s smart. Handles business, trading with other villages and such." Approaching one of the many rundown shacks a small, frail looking man bursts out the front door and immediately notices Bob.

"Byrnn Lowe! The gobo bastards have taken Brynn! Lowering his head as he starts to sob the man adds, "We’ve got to do something, Bob. Those Picts have to be stopped."

Shocked by the news that the goblins have taken the little boy Bob leans heavy on his staff. "Abram, I think my new friends here may just be able to help."
Sep 25, 2015 10:10 pm
"Well, can't we just go and retrieve Brynn right now? I have no problem killing a few goblins. Take us to where you last saw Brynn!"
Sep 25, 2015 10:40 pm
Erevior nods and pays attention. He's not suspicious, but tries to read these two guys.

Rolls

Insight check (WIS mod) - (1d20-1)

(11) - 1 = 10

Sep 26, 2015 12:31 am
"Yeah, lets not waste time! Let us move forth, smite the vile gobos and rescue Brynn!" Vex bounces on the balls of his feet and restlessly taps his fingers on the hilt of his sword.
Last edited September 26, 2015 12:31 am
Sep 26, 2015 2:38 am
Taking a few moments to regain his composure Abram lifts his head as he wipes his eyes. Dressed in plain but unworn clothing and appearing fairly well groomed it's obvious that he's not one to work in the fields. He is, however, as gaunt as the rest of the people from the village. Looking over the party he takes a step back upon seeing Valrakas. Bob, catching his reaction quickly reassures him, "No need to worry ‘bout ‘im, Abram. Just tell us ‘bout Brynn. How ya know they got him?"

Abram goes on to explain that Brynn’s mother, Sophie, was found staggering about in the front of her home no more than an hour ago with a nasty wound to her head. At first she had trouble remembering what had happened but was eventually able to recall that three or four goblins had bust into her home late last night and grabbed her son. They knocked her about as she tried to stop them, most likely leaving her for dead.

"Why they would take the boy is beyond me, but I do know where about they would cross the river." Abram looks over the group one more time before adding, "If you’re able to return Brynn to us and do something about the Picts I’ll see what I can do to provide some sort of reward. He was last seen at his home if that’s where you’d like to start otherwise I can show you to the river."

szemely sent a note to spaceseeker19
Sep 26, 2015 3:00 am
Cyriel has his arms crossed impatiently as he listens to the tale of woe. Failing to fathom any reason to doubt the facts, and generally being a direct individual himself, he speaks his mind. "Goblins are evil, crazy and erratic. We can't delay if we are to save the boy. I say we head to the river. We should be able to find some tracks and follow them to the Pict lair. A whole hour has passed. Time is of the essence!"
Sep 26, 2015 3:34 am
"Aye, t' elf 's right, time's a-wastin'! Less be off! Show us yer river crossin'!"
Sep 26, 2015 4:44 am
Vex, realizing that they're about to leave, scrambles to climb onto Val's shoulder, his customary spot when they have to get somewhere fast. Wouldn't want his stubby legs to slow them down after all!
Last edited September 26, 2015 4:44 am
Sep 26, 2015 5:28 am
Valrakas unslings his harpoon from his back as Vex scrambles up. "Wouldn't want ye gettin' skewered like a little gnomefish!" he says to Vex fondly. The pirate's harpoon is a vicious weapon: a long, sturdy wooden haft sized to the minotaur's huge hand, ending in a cruel barbed steel tip. A rope, wound around the haft, sends the weapon spinning when thrown, and allows Valrakas to pull foes into the reach of his deadly horns.
Last edited September 26, 2015 5:29 am
Sep 26, 2015 6:27 pm
Determined not to let the goblins get any further of a head start than they have already, you have Abram lead you to the river. Crossing the road in front of the Broken Spoon he leads you through a small copse of trees and into the fields. This time of the year the crops should be well on but all you see is small patches of poorly growing grains here and there. Most of the fields are barren and as you continue to cross them Abram points out precisely where and what method goblins chose for their destruction.

"Burned that area a couple of weeks ago. Over there they simply hacked the corn down; that was just the other day. They’re almost methodical in their approach to this. Very ungobo like. Especially how they’ve been entering the village at night. Slowly taking away our means of survival as opposed to just coming right at us."

Nearing the river you can see the woods on the opposite bank. "Pict Woods", Abram calls out as he points across the river, "Hasn’t been a single villager in those woods for generations. High canopy trees with thick underbrush come right up to the river’s bank and a obvious trail leads further in. "Two points where they appear to coming across. Here…" he motions to tracks in the muddy bank "…and about 100 feet to the right. Not sure if they’re rafting across or simply swimming."

The river is about 20’ across with flat banks on either side.

szemely sent a note to Merlin
Sep 26, 2015 6:40 pm
"Well, ye landlubbers fancy a swim?"
Last edited September 26, 2015 6:40 pm
Sep 26, 2015 8:00 pm
Erevior nods to the minotaur as he scans the banks of the river and the water to get a sense of currents and any hazards. Then he'll gather up some brush or driftwood to binds up with his weapons and pack to make a bundle he can float alongside him.

When he's finished his preparation, he looks the two villagers in earnest and reassures them: "We do what we can to get boy back. Should not take long."

Then Erevior wades in an begins to swim across the river.
Last edited September 26, 2015 8:02 pm

Rolls

Perception: check to see route across the currents - (1d20+3)

(4) + 3 = 7

Survival: creating a float for his gear - (1d20+3)

(12) + 3 = 15

Athletics: swimming the river - (1d20+6)

(14) + 6 = 20

Sep 26, 2015 8:45 pm
Jabes.plays.RPG sent a note to szemely
Sep 26, 2015 8:54 pm
"I can't imagine anything less appealing than wading across a river", Cyriel says haughtily. He looks with distain as Erevoir starts to wade into the water. "But I guess needs must. Is it cold?"

Cyriel holds his right arm straight with a subtle flourish and pauses for a moment like half a scarecrow. Suddenly a hawk appears on his wrist. He appears to communicate with it and it effortlessly flaps its wings and takes flight.

So as to inform his companion he says, "I've sent Cecil to scout ahead."

Cecil the Hawk flies across the river and Cyriel appears to enter into a trance...

Rolls

Perception (advantage) - (1d20+4)

(5) + 4 = 9

Perception (advantage) - (1d20+4)

(4) + 4 = 8

load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.