Game Play: Welcome to White Oak

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Sep 21, 2015 1:51 am
You can hear the noise of the place before you even open the door. People laughing, plates and utensils being bandied about, and a barmaid yelling out the latest order. As you walk in the people go about their business, hardly paying any attention to you; until they notice Valrakas. The once din filled room falls to an eventual hush. A few spoons hit tables and more than one patron stares unabashedly at the hulking figure before averting their eyes.

"MIND YOURS!" yells the barmaid in a thunderous voice that somehow manages to project itself from such a tiny woman. The others slowly return to whatever it was they were doing as the frail woman approaches your group. "You'll have to forgive them, Friend. While many an interesting individual has stopped for a meal here while traveling the Fairgrave Trail, I don't think a one of these folks have ever met a minotaur before." Motioning towards an empty table she says, "Why don't you boys have a seat and I'll be by in a minute. Just remember; travelers have to pay before they eat."

szemely sent a note to Merlin
szemely sent a note to spaceseeker19
Sep 22, 2015 11:20 pm
Vex climbs up on his chair and sighs as he realizes that his head barely reaches over the tabletop. He is short, even for a gnome, barely topping three feet, and his unruly mop of black hair sticks out in tufts, as if he's never had a chance to brush it out. He decides to stand on the chair instead, until the barmaid can come back and get him a taller chair. He carries a shortsword on one hip, a crossbow slung on his back, and his shield, which has a poorly drawn lightning bolt painted onto it.

He pats his belt pouch, which barely even jingles as he does so and sighs again, "I hope I got enough money to pay for my grub today, gonna have to find me some money here soon," he wears the symbol of the Storm Lord - a lightning bolt over a crashing wave - on him as a priest might, but he speaks more like someone raised on the streets; which, as a matter of fact, he was.
Sep 23, 2015 3:41 am
(Ooc: sorry, just read the game intro - I assumed we didn't know each other. Modified post below)

A tall elf enters the inn, and pauses momentarily as he assesses the scene. He truly hates these unruly abodes the dwarves and humans hang around in, but he knows that if work is to be found this is the place to be. He sees the Minotaur and thinks, *we really need to find a way to make him less, er, obvious in places like this*.

Moving elegantly towards the bar, he notices the huge man behind the counter. *bar keep maybe?* He smirks at the pathetic gnome climbing on a chair. *why would Vex want to do that? Just drawing attention to himself, not a good idea in a place like this... But I guess dressed like that, attention he'll get*

He gestures the barkeep fully expecting immediate attention. The elf is dressed in traveling robes, a mixture of grey and green, and his hair is black and unruly. He casually surveys Val the Minotaur (as he likes to call him) wondering if he can recall important facts about such creatures.
Last edited September 24, 2015 2:26 am

Rolls

Insight about minotaur - (1d20+3)

(14) + 3 = 17

Sep 23, 2015 4:39 am
Knowing that the four of them are tired and barely have enough money, pooled, for food & drink, the brown-skinned elf Erevior drops his pack next to Vex's chair with a clang, puts a foot up on the adjacent chair, and starts to play with adufe drum...softly at first, to get a sense of the crowd. He is concerned:

"The crowd seems boisterous, but everyone looks drawn, and the food portions are meager. Does this mean that the villagers are as poor as we are?" He worries for a moment, and then: "No, the tavern is filled with people; they wouldn't be here if they didn't have coin. Something else has happened...is it a plague, or some other setback, something they're worried about? Hmm. Perhaps there's some opportunity for adventure here after all..."

Sensing opportunity to influence the crowd, preparing them for employment inquiries or offers to smite bad guys, Erevior speaks loudly to the room in a voice that I imagine is vaguely Caribbean: "How about a little music? Do you have any requests? I am Erevior the Wanderer! Erevior has traveled far, and Erevior knows many songs - songs known and unknown! Would you like a song to get your feet to dancing?" - here he plays a fast samba rhythm on the adufe - "Or a song to honor heroes fallen in battle?" - here he plays a slow tempo march. He waits to see if he gets any requests, and will note anyone who reacts to his performance, trying to remember them as someone they might approach for news/rumors/requests for help.

OOC: This is Erevior's typical way of ingratiating himself with a group - sort of like someone with more money would do by buying everyone a drink.

Rolls

Performance (+3 WIS and drum proficiency) - (1d20+5)

(5) + 5 = 10

Sep 23, 2015 10:54 pm
Cyriel: Your gesture to the barkeep goes unnoticed as his attention is clearly drawn to Valrakas. He doesn’t appear scared of your companion - just curious. You’ve heard the stories and talked to many people who have encountered minotaurs in their liars, only to be lucky to escape with their lives. Valrakas is clearly an exception to the tales that you’ve heard; well, other the extreme temper, of course - if all minotaurs have a temper like his the people you've met who have claimed to have escaped are probably lying.

Vex: A few people find amusement in your struggle with the chair, but it’s light hearted sympathy more than anything nasty. Luckily your predicament has given you the best seat in the house for Erevior’s performance!

Erevior: At first the patrons appear a bit startled as your voice rings out but their excitement quickly builds as you play a few samples on your adufe. They appear to be hesitant to suggest a song, but as soon as someone makes a suggestion, the others quickly follow. "Do Paved Trail to Hades" - "I wanna hear Color it Onyx". Getting a feeling for the crowd you announce your intention to play a different take on one of your favorites - Inclined Pathway to Paradise.

The crowd thoroughly enjoys your unique take on the classics that they’ve suggested. A few even manage to throw a copper or two your way in the process but most just lose themselves in the entertainment. After you’ve finished several people come up to tell you of their appreciation and how that they’ve love to see you back "when things are better".

During the performance both you and Cyriel notice the barmaid chatting with a huge man behind the counter. Afterwards she approaches the table.

"We haven’t had any type of entertainment in quite some time. Unfortunately things have been tough on us here in White Oak and there’s not a lot of tips to be made from us locals. Still, Bob and I would like to show our appreciation. Your meals are on the house! Pretty standard grub, unfortunately, but until we get this Pict thing sorted out, that’s the way it’s going to be for all of us."
Sep 23, 2015 11:19 pm
"Thank you, your generosity most appreciated."

Erevior takes a long draught of his drink. Inclined Pathway to Paradise always leaves him thirsty. After he's eaten a little, drank a little more, he'll wait for her return to the table and then ask:

"Pict thing?" (exchanging a meaningful glance with the others) "What Pict thing?"
Last edited September 23, 2015 11:20 pm
Sep 24, 2015 2:06 am
Cyriel waits for the barkeep to notice him. He rolls his eyes when he notices the barkeep seems more interested in the Minotaur. Then Erevoir starts singing songs and he realizes getting a drink isn't going to be easy. When the bar maid approaches their table he sees his opportunity and returns to the table just in time to hear her offer."Are the drinks on the house too? I've been ignored at the bar for ages" he notes arrogantly.

When Erevoir asks about the "pict thing", Cyriel ponders that thought. *Sounds like we should know, based on how she's talking*. Cyriel tries to recall facts. Not wanting to appear stupid (he can allow Erevoir that honor) Cyriel decides to sagely wait for the answer.
Last edited September 24, 2015 3:11 am

Rolls

Insight -Pict??? - (1d20+3)

(4) + 3 = 7

Sep 24, 2015 2:14 am
"Eh, 'Pict' thing? What's a Pict?" Vex will ask the barmaid.

Vex is a gnome :)
Sep 24, 2015 3:10 am
My bad - corrected now
Sep 24, 2015 3:39 pm
Valrakas is quite used to it by now. Enjoys it, actually: the sudden hush whenever he enters a room, followed by the fearful stares. And anyone who stares without fear are promptly shown what’s what. The former-pirate has built up a bad reputation in port towns up and down the coast, and with good reason. Valrakas is 7 feet tall and 450 pounds of ill-tempered aggression. And drunken laughter. And bawdy jokes, tall tales, and lustful songs. He's actually a pretty decent sonuvabitch as long as you don't get on his bad side. It's best to buy the bastard a drink. Or a few.

On this foray inland Valrakas has taken up with pretty diverse company. He has taken a particular liking to the Vex, the little gnome, and Erevior the musician seems able to soothe the minotaur's worst tempers. Even the haughty Cyriel has earned his respect.

The group’s arrival here at the Broken Spoon has so far gone as well as could be expected. Valrakas downs what he hopes is only the first of many tankards of ale while enjoying Erevior’s unusual rendition of "Inclined Pathway to Paradise". His ears prick up when the barmaid announces their meal will be on the house. "On t’ house, ye say? Less ‘ave ‘nuther ale, then!" he says with a grin.
Last edited September 25, 2015 2:41 pm

Rolls

Intelligence check - what does Valrakas know about Picts? - (1d20)

(5) = 5

Sep 24, 2015 9:19 pm
After many years of working in the tavern the woman is no stranger to handling rude customers. Without breaking eye contact with Cyriel she bellows "Bob! One watered down ale for the elf here. ON THE HOUSE!!" she then turns quickly to retrieve everyone's meal as the man behind the counter lets out a loud laugh.
szemely sent a note to Jabes.plays.RPG
As you eat your meals the woman works her way around the tavern checking in on the other customers and chatting here and there with a few of them. She stops by your table with a small box for Vex - "Might be a bit more comfortable with this on the chair", and an extra mug of Ale for Valrakas. You then ask what she was referring to when she mentioned the 'pict problem'.

"Damned Picts!!" she spits as she lets out a heavy sigh. "For generations they've kept to their side of the river and we've kept to ours. You'd hardly ever see them. Maybe a young one peeking out across from the far bank once every so often as we worked the fields but that's been about it."

One of the customers at the next table overhears the conversation and turns in his chair towards the group. The man, like the others in the tavern is gaunt in appearance and probably not nearly as old as he appears, politely waits for the woman to finish before jumping in. "Late last year, just before harvest, we started noticing tracks in the fields and some damage to the crops closest to the river. We had a traveler help identify the tracks. Gobos! The Picts had started crossing the river and messing with our crops. The damage wasn't too bad at first but then they started in with burning. We tried stopping them, sending a few men out into the fields at night with pitchforks and such, but them little gobos are quick and sneaky; wiped half our harvest last year. Made for a tough winter."

He reaches back to his table and grabs his drink before continuing. "In the spring they started getting bolder. Slinging rocks and firing arrows and such as we tried to plant near the river. Anything that managed to start growing was stomped down and destroyed during the evenings. Again, we tried to stop them, but..." he pauses as he stares into his drink "well, like I said, it was a tough winter. Those of us that may have been able to fight were in no shape by then. Now they've been prowling around the village at night, killing off chickens, stealing things and the like - and we can't stop them."
Sep 24, 2015 9:32 pm
Getting impatient now, Cyriel says, "OK, great story, but please humor us and tell us what a Pict and Gobo is?"
Sep 24, 2015 9:38 pm
"Only great if you don't have to live it." snaps the man. "Goblins, from the Pict Woods, on the other side of the river."
Sep 24, 2015 11:20 pm
"Aha! I thought so!"Cyriel snaps his fingers with enthusiasm. "Well, do you need help?"
Sep 25, 2015 12:16 am
Vex smiles and gives the barmaid a quick thanks for the box.

"Goblins about, eh?? And in need of some divine smiting? Count me in!" Vex perks up at the thought of bringing down the thunder on some pesky goblins.
Last edited September 25, 2015 12:16 am
Sep 25, 2015 12:26 am
"Mebbe we should dress Cyriel up as a chicken and hope they try t' take 'im. Hahaha!" Valrakas laughs at his own jest - a deep bellow that would put any tavern drunk right at ease, and give any child nightmares for days.
Last edited September 25, 2015 2:37 pm
Sep 25, 2015 2:21 am
Cyriel looks impassively at Valrakas..."I don't get it? Does anyone think that's funny? I really don't get it. Why would I dress as a chicken? What would that achieve?"
Sep 25, 2015 2:43 am
Vex chuckles, always amused by the interplay between the crude, and often silly, Valrakas and the often serious Cyriel.
Sep 25, 2015 3:31 am
Cyriel glares at Vex now. "You think it's funny too? I know goblins are stupid, but I really don't think an elf in a chicken costume will fool them. Some sort of illusion may be better."
Sep 25, 2015 3:40 am
"Oh, lighten up Cyriel, it was simply a joke, nothing to get upset over. Where would we find a chicken costume anyway?" he says to the party, "Well, I have some minor skill in illusion magics if you think it would help"
Sep 25, 2015 7:34 am
"You a gracious hostess and you serve good food. As you can tell, we want to help. Is there anyone here who has seen these Gobos, or someone who can show us around where the raids happened? Oh, and someone in charge we should talk to about helping?"
Sep 25, 2015 7:55 am
Valrakas was about to poke more fun at the always-too-serious Cyriel but as always, the level-headed Erevior was able to bring the conversation back on track. Unfortunately, the minotaur was still in the middle of an unseemly fit of guffawing.
Sep 25, 2015 10:17 am
"Thank you Erevior for showing the maturity this matter needs. Lady, I am sure we can help you. Even the big guy, when not making unfunny jokes, is a valuable asset when dealing with... er, Gobos. " *Why do they call them Gobos, it doesn't even save syllables?*
Sep 25, 2015 2:43 pm
Valrakas suddeny slams his ale mug down on the table, drawing countless looks from worried tavern patrons. "Ye want serious? I'll show ye serious when it matters. I'll skewer those nasty little fuckers on me horns an' laugh while I bathe in their blood!" The hulking minotaur's horns glint menacingly. Then he surprisingly he laughs merrily again. With a wink at Vex and a grin at the barmaid, "Another ale, love. Being serious is thirsty work! Aye!"
Last edited September 25, 2015 2:43 pm
Sep 25, 2015 5:47 pm
The women looks on in amusement as Cyriel and Valrakas banter back and forth. As they continue on she leans in towards Vex and Erevior:

"Your offers of help are certainly wonderful news to the people of White Oak. I'm not sure how we'd ever be able to repay you, but know this; none of you will ever have to pay to eat at The Broken Spoon! You'll want to talk to Abram, "Mayor Dale" we call him. He's not really a mayor but he's the one who always makes sure that the citizens are taken care of. Put forth some of his own money so that Bob and I can keep this place open and feed the workers through these tough times."

She stands back again and smiles as Valrakas asks for another Ale.

"Our pleasure friend! One more round for the table and I'll have Bob show you to Abram's place. He knows more about them damned Picts than anyone else here."

I'll have some more tonight, just thought I'd get in a little post while I had the chance.
Sep 25, 2015 6:42 pm
Vex laughs as Val's jokes clash with Cyriel's seriousness. Sometimes they could be so entertaining to watch.

After the barmaid delivers the next round he will raise his mug in toast, "To good drink, fine companionship... and dead goblins!"
Sep 25, 2015 10:03 pm
As you’re finishing up your drinks the man behind the counter limps over to the table supporting his weight with a staff as he walks. Standing at least six and half feet tall and twice as wide as any of the others in the room you can easily tell he would have made an excellent ally (or formidable opponent) in his not too distant past. Looking down at the seated minotaur a large grin appears on his face and through a laugh says, "In me younger days you and me be arm wrassling for that ale ya drinking."

He introduces himself as Bob and after some small talk while you all finish up your drinks he leads you out the back of the tavern. "Abram Dale’s a good man. Not much of a worker like the rest of us here but he’s smart. Handles business, trading with other villages and such." Approaching one of the many rundown shacks a small, frail looking man bursts out the front door and immediately notices Bob.

"Byrnn Lowe! The gobo bastards have taken Brynn! Lowering his head as he starts to sob the man adds, "We’ve got to do something, Bob. Those Picts have to be stopped."

Shocked by the news that the goblins have taken the little boy Bob leans heavy on his staff. "Abram, I think my new friends here may just be able to help."
Sep 25, 2015 10:10 pm
"Well, can't we just go and retrieve Brynn right now? I have no problem killing a few goblins. Take us to where you last saw Brynn!"
Sep 25, 2015 10:40 pm
Erevior nods and pays attention. He's not suspicious, but tries to read these two guys.

Rolls

Insight check (WIS mod) - (1d20-1)

(11) - 1 = 10

Sep 26, 2015 12:31 am
"Yeah, lets not waste time! Let us move forth, smite the vile gobos and rescue Brynn!" Vex bounces on the balls of his feet and restlessly taps his fingers on the hilt of his sword.
Last edited September 26, 2015 12:31 am
Sep 26, 2015 2:38 am
Taking a few moments to regain his composure Abram lifts his head as he wipes his eyes. Dressed in plain but unworn clothing and appearing fairly well groomed it's obvious that he's not one to work in the fields. He is, however, as gaunt as the rest of the people from the village. Looking over the party he takes a step back upon seeing Valrakas. Bob, catching his reaction quickly reassures him, "No need to worry ‘bout ‘im, Abram. Just tell us ‘bout Brynn. How ya know they got him?"

Abram goes on to explain that Brynn’s mother, Sophie, was found staggering about in the front of her home no more than an hour ago with a nasty wound to her head. At first she had trouble remembering what had happened but was eventually able to recall that three or four goblins had bust into her home late last night and grabbed her son. They knocked her about as she tried to stop them, most likely leaving her for dead.

"Why they would take the boy is beyond me, but I do know where about they would cross the river." Abram looks over the group one more time before adding, "If you’re able to return Brynn to us and do something about the Picts I’ll see what I can do to provide some sort of reward. He was last seen at his home if that’s where you’d like to start otherwise I can show you to the river."

Sep 26, 2015 3:00 am
Cyriel has his arms crossed impatiently as he listens to the tale of woe. Failing to fathom any reason to doubt the facts, and generally being a direct individual himself, he speaks his mind. "Goblins are evil, crazy and erratic. We can't delay if we are to save the boy. I say we head to the river. We should be able to find some tracks and follow them to the Pict lair. A whole hour has passed. Time is of the essence!"
Sep 26, 2015 3:34 am
"Aye, t' elf 's right, time's a-wastin'! Less be off! Show us yer river crossin'!"
Sep 26, 2015 4:44 am
Vex, realizing that they're about to leave, scrambles to climb onto Val's shoulder, his customary spot when they have to get somewhere fast. Wouldn't want his stubby legs to slow them down after all!
Last edited September 26, 2015 4:44 am
Sep 26, 2015 5:28 am
Valrakas unslings his harpoon from his back as Vex scrambles up. "Wouldn't want ye gettin' skewered like a little gnomefish!" he says to Vex fondly. The pirate's harpoon is a vicious weapon: a long, sturdy wooden haft sized to the minotaur's huge hand, ending in a cruel barbed steel tip. A rope, wound around the haft, sends the weapon spinning when thrown, and allows Valrakas to pull foes into the reach of his deadly horns.
Last edited September 26, 2015 5:29 am
Sep 26, 2015 6:27 pm
Determined not to let the goblins get any further of a head start than they have already, you have Abram lead you to the river. Crossing the road in front of the Broken Spoon he leads you through a small copse of trees and into the fields. This time of the year the crops should be well on but all you see is small patches of poorly growing grains here and there. Most of the fields are barren and as you continue to cross them Abram points out precisely where and what method goblins chose for their destruction.

"Burned that area a couple of weeks ago. Over there they simply hacked the corn down; that was just the other day. They’re almost methodical in their approach to this. Very ungobo like. Especially how they’ve been entering the village at night. Slowly taking away our means of survival as opposed to just coming right at us."

Nearing the river you can see the woods on the opposite bank. "Pict Woods", Abram calls out as he points across the river, "Hasn’t been a single villager in those woods for generations. High canopy trees with thick underbrush come right up to the river’s bank and a obvious trail leads further in. "Two points where they appear to coming across. Here…" he motions to tracks in the muddy bank "…and about 100 feet to the right. Not sure if they’re rafting across or simply swimming."

The river is about 20’ across with flat banks on either side.

Sep 26, 2015 6:40 pm
"Well, ye landlubbers fancy a swim?"
Last edited September 26, 2015 6:40 pm
Sep 26, 2015 8:00 pm
Erevior nods to the minotaur as he scans the banks of the river and the water to get a sense of currents and any hazards. Then he'll gather up some brush or driftwood to binds up with his weapons and pack to make a bundle he can float alongside him.

When he's finished his preparation, he looks the two villagers in earnest and reassures them: "We do what we can to get boy back. Should not take long."

Then Erevior wades in an begins to swim across the river.
Last edited September 26, 2015 8:02 pm

Rolls

Perception: check to see route across the currents - (1d20+3)

(4) + 3 = 7

Survival: creating a float for his gear - (1d20+3)

(12) + 3 = 15

Athletics: swimming the river - (1d20+6)

(14) + 6 = 20

Sep 26, 2015 8:45 pm
Jabes.plays.RPG sent a note to szemely
Sep 26, 2015 8:54 pm
"I can't imagine anything less appealing than wading across a river", Cyriel says haughtily. He looks with distain as Erevoir starts to wade into the water. "But I guess needs must. Is it cold?"

Cyriel holds his right arm straight with a subtle flourish and pauses for a moment like half a scarecrow. Suddenly a hawk appears on his wrist. He appears to communicate with it and it effortlessly flaps its wings and takes flight.

So as to inform his companion he says, "I've sent Cecil to scout ahead."

Cecil the Hawk flies across the river and Cyriel appears to enter into a trance...

Rolls

Perception (advantage) - (1d20+4)

(5) + 4 = 9

Perception (advantage) - (1d20+4)

(4) + 4 = 8

Sep 26, 2015 9:19 pm
"Well, I don't really like the thought of swimming across there, but I suppose there's not much choice," with that he will pull out some rope and hand it to Val to make sure he (Vex) doesn't get lost on the way over.
Last edited September 26, 2015 9:30 pm

Rolls

Athletics - (1d20-2)

(2) - 2 = 0

Sep 26, 2015 9:28 pm
Ooc: Naat!! Oh shit!! This die roller sucks.
Last edited September 26, 2015 9:29 pm
Sep 26, 2015 9:29 pm
Ooc: this is why I am having Val holdo a rope ;)
Sep 26, 2015 10:27 pm
Erevior: There is a slight current moving left to right from where you are standing. That water is a bit chilly as you enter but the river provides very little challenge and you make it to the far side without any issues.

Vex: You make a less than stellar entrance as you trip while wading into the river. You hit the water hard and take in a full breathe of water. You quickly right yourself and hurry back on shore coughing up water as you do. You’re no worse for wear though.

Cyriel: You’re in a trance while Cecil scouts ahead.

Valrakas: You're holding rope (and most likely laughing at Vex).

Sep 26, 2015 10:38 pm
Opening his eyes Cyriel (Ooc: not Cyril, thank you very much! ;-)) says, "Nope, not too much to see. The undergrowth is thick but the trail does continue into the woods."

*Here goes nothing...*

Rolls

Swim -1 - (1d20-1)

(10) - 1 = 9

Sep 26, 2015 11:37 pm
OOC: My spell checker/autocorrect really hates all of the names on this place. :-)

As you get to about the half way point you feel yourself drifting a bit with the current.

Let's have another Swim check...
Sep 26, 2015 11:41 pm
(Ooc: this feels like dejavu on another game...)

Starting to drift, Cyriel thinks, *great, not good, I hate swimming...*

Rolls

Swim - (1d20-1)

(15) - 1 = 14

Sep 26, 2015 11:47 pm
I HATE swimming, Vex thinks to himself.

Rolls

Athletics - (1d20-2)

(7) - 2 = 5

Sep 26, 2015 11:50 pm
Cyriel: Determined to keep yourself from floating all the way back to Deerhaven you suddenly get into a decent swimming stride and make your way across the river - roughly 10' down stream from where Erevior ended up.
Sep 26, 2015 11:54 pm
Vex: A much better entrance into the water this time results in you getting about a third of the way across before you start to sink back down into the water. You struggle to get your head above the surface as you slowly drift down stream.

Another Swim check, please.
Sep 27, 2015 12:00 am
Vex will keep swimming

Note: This is why I gave Val the other side of my rope :)

Rolls

Athletics - (1d20-2)

(15) - 2 = 13

Sep 27, 2015 12:11 am
Vex: You make better headway this time getting closer to the far bank as you drift down a little further. Confident that Valrakas won't let any real harm come to you should things go wrong you make a final push to the fair side.

One final roll...
Sep 27, 2015 12:12 am
Final push...

Rolls

Athletics - (1d20-2)

(12) - 2 = 10

Sep 27, 2015 12:20 am
Vex: As you struggle onto the far bank your knees can barely support your weight and you fall to ground exhausted. You're roughly 10' downstream from Cyriel and 20' from Erevior.

You will be feeling the effects of exhaustion for the next hour (disadvantage on ability checks).
Sep 27, 2015 1:11 am
Valrakas' laughter booms across the water as Vex and Cyriel struggle in the water, but eventually real concern for their safety, particularly the gnome's, overcomes him. He goes into the water when it looks like Vex is in some real trouble but to his relief he sees both the determined gnome and the elf make it to shore. Moments later the minotaur himself strides onto the far bank. After checking to see if Vex is alright (accompanied by some well-meaning but perhaps overly hard thumps on the back), Valrakas searches the riverbank to pick up the goblin trail.
Last edited September 27, 2015 1:42 am

Rolls

Swim (Athletics) - (1d20+5)

(8) + 5 = 13

Perception - (1d20+2)

(8) + 2 = 10

Sep 27, 2015 1:45 am
The river gives Valrakas a little more trouble than he expected but his experience on the water helps him push through without incident.

You are all now on the far bank of the river. Valrakas and Erevior stand at the trail's entrance into the woods and Cryriel and Vex are a little further down stream.
Sep 27, 2015 3:36 am
Cyriel stands miserably wet on the waters edge and looks back towards Valrakas and Erevior. "Don't worry I'm fine. I made it across. Seems I'm a better swimmer than Vex." Glancing back towards the gnome he adds, "Are you alright friend?"

He wrings some water out of his robe and then weaves some hand gestures to dry his robes further.
Merlin sent a note to szemely
"That's better, now I'm ready. We can catch up with Cecil."
Sep 27, 2015 5:31 am
"Yes, I think I'm ok. A bit waterlogged, but ok," Vex says as he coughs up some water. After recovering from his swim he will look around to see if he can find the goblins trail.

Rolls

Perception (Disadvantage) - (1d20+2, 1d20+2)

1d20+2 : (18) + 2 = 20

1d20+2 : (17) + 2 = 19

Sep 27, 2015 4:22 pm
That's how you handle a disadvantage roll!!

szemely sent a note to Naatkinson
Sep 27, 2015 4:49 pm
Vex looks around for a moment and begins hopping up and down in excitement, "I've found the trail!" he then points it out for everyone else to see.
Sep 27, 2015 7:49 pm
Erevior is relieved that everyone made it across the river without injury.

*Next time, I'll see if we can tie some ropes together long enough to span the water and I'll swim across with it...*

He nods to the gnome, Vex.
"Good work!"
To Cyriel:
"Has Cecil spotted anything else?"
As they prepare to head out, Erevior will scan the undergrowth and ground to see if he can get a sense of how recently anyone has passed by this way.

(OOC: I'm assuming it's a perception check)

Rolls

Inspecting the trail (WIS + Proficiency) - (1d20+3)

(5) + 3 = 8

Sep 27, 2015 10:36 pm
Cyriel walks up to Erevoir and Vex, and nods at the found tracks. "Cecil found some more tracks about 100 feet into the woods. Once we catch up with him we can search again."
Last edited September 27, 2015 10:37 pm
Sep 28, 2015 1:02 am
Away from the wet bank the tracks are much harder follow. The trail does appear to be well traveled but it's hard to determine by what and how often.
Sep 28, 2015 1:27 am
Erevior knows that, in situations where they know they're likely to be attacked, he and Valrakas alternate taking point, with the other bringing up the rear, so that the gnome and the spellcaster are shielded from the first hits and have time to respond with their artillery.
He gestures to the minotaur:
"You want first, or should I?"
Sep 28, 2015 8:21 am
Valrakas responds with a "Be my guest!" gesture accompanied by a wink and a grin, and moves to take rear guard.
Sep 28, 2015 12:05 pm
Cyriel says in a sarcastic tone, "Well, so far so good. The intrepid heroes mange to cross a 20 foot wide river!"

Cyriel falls into line taking third place, "Vex, I hope you don't mind second? When we are 100 feet in we should see Cecil, and if we pause I can send him another 100 feet to scout ahead, if you like."
Last edited September 28, 2015 12:06 pm
Sep 28, 2015 1:37 pm
"No, not at all, Cyri. I feel better knowing that you got my back," Vex responds, still feeling a bit weak after his ordeal in the river.

As a preparation, Vex will draw his sword and strap his shield to his arm.
Last edited September 28, 2015 4:01 pm
Sep 28, 2015 3:57 pm
Erevior grabs a javelin in each hand and leads the way down the path.
Sep 28, 2015 4:10 pm
"My name is Cyriel. Abbreviation of a given name is disrespectful. Would you like me to call you Vee? Not that I can imagine anyone wanting to shorten a name like Vex."
Last edited September 28, 2015 4:11 pm
Sep 28, 2015 4:21 pm
"Shut yer traps, all o' ye! Unless ye be wantin' our quarry gettin' th' best o' us!" Valrakas hisses.
Last edited September 28, 2015 4:23 pm

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+1)

(20) + 1 = 21

Perception - (1d20+2)

(14) + 2 = 16

Sep 28, 2015 4:28 pm
Vex quietly chuckles about Cyriel's constant need to be proper, He's just TOO easy, but otherwise heeds Val's advice and attempts to move a bit more quietly.

OOC: DAMN! I need to have disadvantage more often!
Last edited September 28, 2015 4:30 pm

Rolls

Stealth [Disadvantage] - (1d20+4, 1d20+4)

1d20+4 : (19) + 4 = 23

1d20+4 : (15) + 4 = 19

Sep 28, 2015 9:56 pm
You seem not to draw any attention to yourselves as you work your way down the trail. The high canopy of the woods allows enough light through that you have no trouble seeing your immediate surroundings. The occasional rustle in the underbrush catches your attention but you convince yourselves (rightfully so) that it's just the normal scurrying of startled critters.

You reach Cecil's location and come to a halt. About 20 feet ahead the trail appears to gently curve to the right. Cyriel once again falls into a trance like state while Cecil scouts ahead.

Rolls

Secret Roll

Sep 28, 2015 11:14 pm
Cyriel emerges from his trance. "Well, it would appear we are about to meet some "Gobos"... The are three about 50' ahead, with spears, but they don't appear to have noticed Cecil."

Telepathically, Cyriel recalls his hawk to avoid any confrontation.
Last edited September 28, 2015 11:15 pm
Sep 29, 2015 5:57 am
The party knows that Erevior has no love for goblins, even though he suspects that this kidnapping is more than it seems. They would know that they'd have to tell him to stop so as to avoid a bloodbath. Erevior silently readies his javelins and attempts to hide so that he can surprise the "Gobos."
Last edited September 29, 2015 5:58 am

Rolls

Stealth check (WIS) - (1d20+1)

(5) + 1 = 6

Initiative (in case it comes to that) - (1d20+1)

(20) + 1 = 21

Sep 29, 2015 8:48 am
Valrakas grins widely and licks his lips. The minotaur loves nothing better than cracking heads, goblin or otherwise. He only waits for Erevior, who is up ahead, to act before he himself charges in.

OOC: When battle is joined Valrakas enters Rage, and he charges in with his horns.

EDIT:
OOC: If you'll allow, I'm amending my action.
1) Valrakas does NOT enter Rage (yet)
2) He throws his harpoon instead of attacking with his horns. (Rolls are below)
3) If the harpoon hits, all grapple attacks vs. the gobo are at advantage until the end of Valrakas' next turn.

Changing tactic because I want to capture one of these guys for questioning, not just slaughter them. If I'm not allowed to change my action then the original (above) is ok. :-)
Last edited September 29, 2015 10:56 am

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+1)

(12) + 1 = 13

Stealth (until the gobos are in sight) - (1d20+1)

(2) + 1 = 3

Horns - (1d20+5)

(6) + 5 = 11

Horns damage - (1d10+3)

(7) + 3 = 10

Harpoon (ranged attack) - (1d20+3)

(15) + 3 = 18

Harpoon damage - (1d6+3)

(6) + 3 = 9

Sep 29, 2015 1:53 pm
Vex, still feeling weak from his disastrous attempt at swimming decides to stay back a little ways. He sneaks to a place with a good view of the "gobos" and chants a few words, extending his hand toward a goblin. A bolt of yellow energy comes from the sky toward the gobo

Casting Sacred Flame on a goblin

Make a Dex Save, DC 12 or suffer damage!!!!

Edit: Rolled good damage, please fail save, please fail save, please fail save...
Last edited September 29, 2015 1:55 pm

Rolls

Stealth [Dis] - (1d20+4, 1d20+4)

1d20+4 : (18) + 4 = 22

1d20+4 : (2) + 4 = 6

Initiative [Dis] - (1d20+2, 1d20+2)

1d20+2 : (12) + 2 = 14

1d20+2 : (12) + 2 = 14

Sacred Flame Damage - (1d8)

(8) = 8

Sep 29, 2015 2:33 pm
(OOC: Wow, we are all terrible at stealth!)
Last edited September 29, 2015 2:34 pm
Sep 29, 2015 10:59 pm
Secret messages for everyone - and I'll add some secret rolls as well.

Rolls

Secret Roll

Secret Roll

Secret Roll

Sep 29, 2015 11:05 pm
Vex peers around, I could have SWORN that I heard goblins around here, he thinks, and takes a look around to see if he can see any goblin tracks, confused at his apparent mistake.

Rolls

Perception [Dis] - (1d20+2, 1d20+2)

1d20+2 : (16) + 2 = 18

1d20+2 : (9) + 2 = 11

Sep 30, 2015 3:59 am
Cyriel looks on in dismay as his three comrades wander off. "Wait!" He says as loud as he dares without alerting the forest to their presence. "Shall we stick together?" With that he adds, "The goblins are on the trail about 50' ahead."

He then Heads in the direction he knows the goblins are, hoping his comrades converge.
Sep 30, 2015 7:18 am
"Wait a moment...you mean the goblins are not moving? They waiting for us, and we waiting for them?"
Erevior grins, amused at the thought of all of them waiting in ambush for each other. He emerges out from the brush.
"Wait no more - I bring them back!"
With that, Erevior trots down the path in the direction Cyriel indicated. His intent is to chuck a javelin at the first goblin he sees (to make them mad), make a racket as of someone terrified of goblins (to draw them out), and flee back down the path toward Vex, Valrakas and Cyriel (so that they get to join in the fun) Erevior is really curious to see that harpoon in action again.
Sep 30, 2015 9:26 pm
You all gather on the trail roughly 10 feet or so from where it splits. Vex is the first to notice and quietly points out the goblin that is trying to remain hidden in the brush just after the split. There is no sign of the other two baddies.

Everyone gets a free action before the hidden goblin reacts. Please roll initiative as part of your post as well.

Rolls

Secret Roll

Secret Roll

Secret Roll

Sep 30, 2015 9:29 pm
Vex pulls out his crossbow, setting his sword quietly on the ground and takes aim at the goblin that he can see, waiting for everyone to get into position. He will fire when everyone is in position (end of everyone's actions) or if the goblin attempts to go anywhere.

OOC: Readied action to attack the goblin!
Last edited September 30, 2015 9:33 pm

Rolls

Crossbow attack and damage - (1d20+4, 1d8+2)

1d20+4 : (20) + 4 = 24

1d8+2 : (2) + 2 = 4

Extra damage on CRIT! - (1d8)

(3) = 3

Initiative [Disadvantage] - (1d20+2, 1d20+2)

1d20+2 : (9) + 2 = 11

1d20+2 : (3) + 2 = 5

Sep 30, 2015 9:38 pm
Erevior winks at Vex, then hurls his first javelin at the visible goblin.

Note that the damage should be 3, not just 1 (1d6, +2 for STR mod), as Naatkinson pointed out. Attack roll result is 23, too, though I don't think that makes a difference in this roll.
Last edited September 30, 2015 11:47 pm

Rolls

Javelin throw (DEX + proficiency) - (1d20+3)

(19) + 3 = 22

Damage if hit - (1d6)

(1) = 1

Initiative - (1d20+1)

(19) + 1 = 20

Sep 30, 2015 10:00 pm
Ooc: Javelin actually use strength for hit and damage

Also, upon seeing the goblin hit Vex will fire!
Sep 30, 2015 10:51 pm
Javelin uses STR when wielded in melee. Ranged uses DEX.

Edit: Naatkinson is correct; I was wrong. Thank you for pointing that out!
Last edited September 30, 2015 11:41 pm
Oct 1, 2015 12:53 am
Cyriel moves forward to espy the goblins. He already has a good idea where they are, but they seem to have moved. *Maybe they heard us coming?*

If he sees one he will launch a fire bolt. (Damn!!!! I'm gooood)
Last edited October 1, 2015 12:54 am

Rolls

Perception keen senses - advantage - (1d20+1, 1d20+1)

1d20+1 : (1) + 1 = 2

1d20+1 : (18) + 1 = 19

Initiative - (1d20+3)

(19) + 3 = 22

Fire bolt, attack, damage - (1d20+5, 1d10)

1d20+5 : (10) + 5 = 15

1d10 : (10) = 10

Oct 1, 2015 7:55 am
Valrakas winds up to throw his harpoon but seeing Erevior and Cyriel unload on the goblin he decides to wait if its mates will be flushed out. He keeps a sharp eye out as he moves towards the goblin they've just shot.
OOC:
Readied action - harpoon versus any other goblins that show up.
Last edited October 1, 2015 8:03 am

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+1)

(13) + 1 = 14

Perception - (1d20+2)

(5) + 2 = 7

Harpoon throw - (1d20+3)

(16) + 3 = 19

Harpoon damage - (1d6+3)

(3) + 3 = 6

Oct 1, 2015 9:11 pm
The goblin chuckles lightly to himself as he sees the four of you gathering. "We gonna get them go…" his thought is interrupted as Erevior’s javelin tears into his shoulder. With a yelp he pops up and draws back his spear, clearly wanting to return the favor. Vex’s bolt catches him in the throat and he falls back into the under growth.

As soon as the first goblin falls back dead Cyriel catches a blur to his left as a second goblin pops up from hiding and sends his spear slicing across his leg. Not missing his chance Cyriel turns and throws a bolt of fire in return. It hits its mark and the smoldering goblin joins his companion in goblin heaven.
[3HP of Damage to Cyriel]

Valrakas doesn't even see it coming as the third goblin launches his own attack at the minotaur, his spear cutting across Val's chest. Ignoring the pain Val hurls his harpoon and it catches the little creature in the hip and is stuck fast. Letting out a curse the injured goblin draws his scimitar.
[7HP of Damage to Valrakas]

Goblin #1 and Goblin #2 are dead.
Goblin #3 is caught by Valrakas' harpoon and within movement range. Any grapple attempts against him come at an advantage until the end of Val's next turn.

Initiative Order:
Cryiel
Erevior
Goblin #3
Valrakas
Vex

Rolls

Secret Roll

Secret Roll

Secret Roll

Secret Roll

Oct 1, 2015 10:29 pm
"I'm hit!" exclaims Cyriel. "You are meant to protect me!"

Seeing the harpooned goblin, Cyriel launches another fire bolt. "Goblins love fire, so here's a gift!"

Rolls

Firebolt, attack, damage - (1d20+5, 1d10)

1d20+5 : (15) + 5 = 20

1d10 : (3) = 3

Oct 1, 2015 10:34 pm
Dropping his scimitar the third goblin screams in pain as the fire does its job.

You stand gathered where the trail splits. Three dead goblins lie in the underbrush.
Oct 1, 2015 10:42 pm
Cyriel looks pitifully at his wound. "Ouch! Look, I've been hurt. Can anyone heal me?"

Cyriel enters a trance and sends Cecil to scout ahead.

Rolls

Perception with advantage - (1d20+4, 1d20+4)

1d20+4 : (9) + 4 = 13

1d20+4 : (14) + 4 = 18

Oct 2, 2015 12:01 am
Vex nods and walls over to Cyriel, laying his hands on his wounds and magically healing his wounds

Cure wounds

Rolls

Cure wounds on Cyriel - (1d8+2)

(8) + 2 = 10

Oct 2, 2015 1:09 am
Is Cecil following a particular branch of the trail?
Oct 2, 2015 2:00 am
Good question. To the fork where goblins first were then try to find tracks using perception.
Oct 2, 2015 2:30 am
Erevior will inspect the bodies of the goblins, to see if there are any clues about their origin, motivations, location of the kidnapped child, or just useful items.

Loot, if you will.

Rolls

Perception (if needed): WIS + Proficiency - (1d20+3)

(3) + 3 = 6

Oct 2, 2015 3:10 am
"Aye, that does look bad." Valrakas drips with sarcasm as he sneers at Cyriel's wound. The much deeper wound on the minotaur's chest bleeds profusely but stays ignored as Valrakas reels in his harpoon. "But none o' us are as bad off as this pox-ridden toad 'ere." He shakes the burnt goblin carcass skewered on his harpoon. "I meant t' question the little bugger, ye mermaid-haired parrot!" But his words go unheeded as Cyriel is deep in his trance.
Last edited October 2, 2015 3:27 am
Oct 2, 2015 3:12 am
After healing Cyriel up, Vex will head over to Val, "Hold still big guy... and maybe bend down here a bit and I'll get you all fixed up!"

Cure wounds on Val

Rolls

Cure Wounds on Val - (1d8+2)

(6) + 2 = 8

Oct 2, 2015 1:45 pm
After healing Val up nicely, Vex nods, happy with the work that he has done. He then joins Erevior in 'inspecting' the corpses.

OOC: Vex is all out of spells, so don't get hit!
Last edited October 2, 2015 1:46 pm

Rolls

Perception to search bodies - (1d20+2)

(15) + 2 = 17

Oct 2, 2015 4:24 pm
Erevior & Vex: Your search for loot turns up very little of interest. The spears that were thrown (or not in the case of the first goblin) are shabbily made and probably not worth their weight copper. One of the goblins has a fairly decent scimitar that appears to have been very well taken care of. Between the three of them you round up 12SP and small iron key.

You all notice Cyriel coming out of his trance.

Oct 2, 2015 4:30 pm
Vex will take the scimitar, can't hurt to have an extra weapon handy!
Oct 2, 2015 6:53 pm
After retrieving his javelin, Erevior holds up the key for inspection. "We got a key, and 3 silver each" Erevior hands out the coins. "No other clue."

To Cyriel, he asks: "What you see? Which way now?"

Rolls

Perception (if it helps on the key) - (1d20+3)

(19) + 3 = 22

Oct 2, 2015 7:04 pm
"Lemme see that." Valrakas squints down at the key in Erevior's hand. Is it for a door? A cell? A safe or chest?

Rolls

Investigation or Insight on the key - (1d20)

(9) = 9

Oct 2, 2015 7:06 pm
As Val and Erevior are looking at the key, Vex is hopping up and down, trying to get a better look at it. Finally, frustrated he will drag over a couple of goblin corpses to stand on to get a better look at the key.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+2)

(4) + 2 = 6

Investigation - (1d20)

(6) = 6

Perception (Forgot Disadvantage) - (1d20+2)

(11) + 2 = 13

Investigation (Forgot Disadvantage) - (1d20)

(18) = 18

Oct 2, 2015 8:26 pm
(OOC: it's tough to balance on their faces like that; they keep rolling over!)
Oct 2, 2015 10:47 pm
Cyriel emerges from his trance in time to see Vex climbing onto a couple of goblin corpses. His three comrades are examining something and he is standing alone. He realizes he is completely healed. *That's interesting*, he ponders, *I wonder how I did that? I must have more talents than even I could imagine*.

He joins his friends, curious about what they are interested in. In response to Erevoir's question he says haughtily, "Oh, I thought you'd forgotten about me. I found out a couple of things. There are two trails but we couldn't find any tracks. They both head to a hill about 200' away. But even better, I healed myself."

He raises his arms so they can get a good look at his condition, and twirls for good measure. "I think my powers are growing." His eyes glisten with wide eyed excitement.
Oct 2, 2015 11:04 pm
The iron key is about two inches in length with a simple ring handle and a small bit with three prongs. It appears to be fairly old but shows signs of recent use.

You now have a choice of which way to follow the path.
Oct 3, 2015 12:34 am
Erevior gives an elaborate elven bow. "We honor your greatness! Never has Erevior met your equal!"

Straightening with a grin, he asks the others: "Right or left? His awesome magicness saw no ambushes, so one way same as the other. Goblin ambushes?" He gestures toward Vex's footstool and spits contemptuously. "But maybe they steal child, so we hurry, yes?"
Last edited October 3, 2015 12:36 am
Oct 3, 2015 1:11 am
Vex laughs uproariously at Cyriel's cluelessness, "Yes, you're quite the talented one, aint ya?" Then turning to the others, "Always go left, I say, nothing good ever happened by going right!"
Last edited October 3, 2015 1:11 am
Oct 3, 2015 5:47 am
Cyriel says to Vex, "Maybe I should have been a bard as I'm so damned entertaining." His tone drips with sarcasm.

"Anyway I agree, we should go left. There's a hill at the end of the trail. Let's investigate?"
Last edited October 3, 2015 1:52 pm
Oct 3, 2015 4:31 pm
"Aye, let's be off then! I'll take the lead. An' unless we come upon the child we take goblin prisoners, savvy? There be time for cuttin' throats after questionin'." Valrakas lopes ahead, taking the path on the left.

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+1)

(19) + 1 = 20

Perception - (1d20+2)

(12) + 2 = 14

Oct 3, 2015 4:47 pm
This time, Erevior brings up the rear, attentive for any further ambush.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+3)

(3) + 3 = 6

Oct 3, 2015 4:56 pm
Vex follows behind Val, keeping an eye out for anything suspicious and attempting to move quietly.

Rolls

1d20+4 : (11) + 4 = 15

Perception [Disadvantage] - (1d20+2, 1d20+2)

1d20+2 : (7) + 2 = 9

Oct 3, 2015 5:07 pm
That puts Cyriel in third place, exactly where he likes to be, so falls into line. He says nothing, as there doesn't appear to be anything to say. Instead he ponders, *we aren't killing goblins? Humph.*

Cyriel keeps his eyes peeled for the unexpected.
Last edited October 3, 2015 5:09 pm

Rolls

Perception- advantage - (1d20+3, 1d20+3)

1d20+3 : (8) + 3 = 11

1d20+3 : (19) + 3 = 22

Oct 3, 2015 7:56 pm
You walk the length of the trail at a cautious pace, wary of possible ambushes from other goblins, but not noticing anything out of the ordinary. As you catch sight of the hills you notice that the trail continues on through what appears to be a cave entrance - a cave entrance that appears to have been recently enlarged - as the fresh surface of the stone attests to.

The party is roughly 30 feet from the entrance and about 15 feet ahead of you a portion of the trail appears to be covered with branches and large leaves. Obviously a poorly hidden trap of some sort.
Oct 3, 2015 8:04 pm
"Beware the stupid trap. I say we toss a boulder into it an' cut the buggers down when they rush out t' check their catch. We shoulda' brought one o' those gobo corpses." Valrakas says with a grin.
Oct 3, 2015 9:28 pm
"Seems fair enough to me, Valrakas", says Cyriel, glancing at Vex to emphasize the full pronounciation of his name.
"I humbly volunteer you to throw the boulder. It's really not my thing."

"I'll send Cecil to look in the cave."

Cyriel sends his hawk to fly over the pit and scout the entrance of the cave.

Rolls

Perception, advantage - (1d20+4, 1d20+4)

1d20+4 : (13) + 4 = 17

1d20+4 : (6) + 4 = 10

Oct 4, 2015 12:18 am
Cecil makes the short flight to the cave entrance and peers inside.

Oct 4, 2015 7:27 am
Valrakas directs everyone to ambush positions in between the pit trap and the cave mouth. Then he picks up a large boulder. "I guess somebody should pretend t' be hurt and caught in th' trap. Cyriel, yer the best actor here..." the minotaur trails off when he realizes the elf is out-of-body once more. He shrugs and heaves the boulder into the ill-devised trap.

EDIT: OOC: Avast! Valrakas be the stealthiest pirate in the seven seas!
Last edited October 4, 2015 7:29 am

Rolls

Stealth (Positioning for ambush) - (1d20+1)

(1) + 1 = 2

Perception - (1d20+2)

(4) + 2 = 6

Oct 4, 2015 7:33 am
Seeing Cyriel's eyes glaze over and hearing Valrakas' direction, Erevior hunkers down to hide, readying his javelins again and trying to be the first to spot the ambushers when they appear.
Last edited October 4, 2015 7:35 am

Rolls

Perception (WIS + prof mod) - (1d20+3)

(3) + 3 = 6

Stealth (DEX) - (1d20+1)

(14) + 1 = 15

Oct 4, 2015 8:57 am
Vex takes position in the brush off of the beaten path and lies in wait, crossbow ready.

Rolls

Perception (Disadvantage) - (1d20+2, 1d20+2)

1d20+2 : (4) + 2 = 6

1d20+2 : (1) + 2 = 3

Stealth (Disadvantage) - (1d20+4, 1d20+4)

1d20+4 : (9) + 4 = 13

1d20+4 : (4) + 4 = 8

Oct 4, 2015 10:42 am
Cyriel emerges from his trance, partly catalysed by Valrakas's actions. CRASH!!

Finding himself standing alone on the trail in front of a now open pit he rushes for cover.

Rolls

Acrobatics - (1d20+3)

(15) + 3 = 18

Oct 4, 2015 4:48 pm
The boulder crashes through the makeshift cover of the trap and lands with a soft thud as it hits the bottom of the poorly dug pit. The four of you lie in wait in the underbrush for several minutes.

It doesn't appear that anything is coming to investigate.
Oct 5, 2015 2:56 am
"OK, let's move! The cave is dark and Cecil couldn't see much. Time to move forward."
Oct 5, 2015 11:23 am
"Aye, let's go." Valrakas, already at the cave mouth, leads them in.
Oct 5, 2015 1:44 pm
Vex follows behind Val quietly, looking out for any danger.

Rolls

Perception [Disdvantage] - (1d20+2, 1d20+2)

1d20+2 : (18) + 2 = 20

Oct 5, 2015 2:58 pm
Cyriel will follow in 3rd place, eyes peeled.

Rolls

Perception - dark vision, keen senses, advantage - (1d20+3, 1d20+3)

1d20+3 : (5) + 3 = 8

1d20+3 : (3) + 3 = 6

Oct 5, 2015 3:12 pm
Erevior follows close behind, whispering to Cyriel:
"Want to make some light for the minotaur? Remember what happened when we were in the china shop in the dark?"

Rolls

Perception (darkvision, WIS + prof mod) - (1d20+3)

(14) + 3 = 17

Oct 5, 2015 4:26 pm
Cyriel says, "No, actually I don't remember that, and I usually have a pretty good memory." He sounds genuinely concerned about his lack of recollection. "Oh, wait... That's a joke, isn't it?"

He then reaches forward to touch Valrakas's harpoon. "A little light for you."
Last edited October 6, 2015 11:59 am
Oct 5, 2015 9:20 pm
Erevior hears the quotation marks around "joke" but doesn't recognize Cyriel's distaste. Instead, he thinks it's just Cyriel having a hard time coming up with the right word in Common, just like Erevior has trouble with the human language sometimes.

Erevior starts to scat under his breath, the rhythm in tempo with his accelerated heartbeat. He's ready to clobber some "Gobos."
Oct 5, 2015 9:51 pm
The four of you cautiously enter the cave with Valrakas, in a slight crouch due to his height, leading the way. With his harpoon glowing it's easy to see that there is a small cavern, or possibly a room, another 10 feet or so ahead. Suddenly Vex, who has been carefully peering around the minotaur, whispers in a loud voice. "WIRE! STOP!"

Oct 5, 2015 9:57 pm
"Well done, Vex. Can we step over it?"
Oct 5, 2015 11:25 pm
Vex nods and moves forward to the wire, "Here it is," he says and bends down to point it out to everyone.

The wire sits about 3 inches off the ground, strung across the entryway of the cave.
Last edited October 5, 2015 11:29 pm
Oct 5, 2015 11:33 pm
"Three inches. Can you step over it Vex?"
Oct 6, 2015 2:35 am
As you each take your turn stepping (or jumping as the case may be) over the wire you come into a room which is roughly 12'x15' in size. There is another entrance way into the room in the opposite corner from where you entered. Quite a bit of garbage and debris is littering the floor and there are six small saddles and a rack with eight spears on the far wall. The saddles and spears appear to be very well cared for.
Oct 6, 2015 3:19 am
Before entering the room Cyriel whispers, "Shhhhh, let me check the room before we enter." Cyriel uses his keen senses to detect or hear movement in the room.

Rolls

Keen senses, advantage. - (1d20+3, 1d20+3)

1d20+3 : (17) + 3 = 20

1d20+3 : (17) + 3 = 20

Oct 6, 2015 10:59 am
Cyriel detects no movement of any kind in the room but does notice a flickering light coming from the opposite entrance.
Oct 6, 2015 12:02 pm
Continuing to whisper... "I think this room is empty but that exit over there looks promising... Let's keep moving..."

Feeling the tension of being underground, Cyriel tries to be stealthy, while keeping his eyes peeled.

(I want to use Vex's dice)
Last edited October 6, 2015 9:01 pm

Rolls

Keen senses - perception - (1d20+3, 1d20+3)

1d20+3 : (2) + 3 = 5

1d20+3 : (3) + 3 = 6

Steath - (1d20+3)

(4) + 3 = 7

Oct 6, 2015 2:29 pm
Erevior sniffs as he moves through the room to the door with the others, suspecting that the saddles are used for wolves or other canines. Then he pauses his scat long enough to listen at the door.

Rolls

Perception (WIS + prof mod) - (1d20+3)

(1) + 3 = 4

Oct 6, 2015 2:38 pm
Vex pauses at the door with the others to listen and look for anything of note, then advances with them to the other side, moving as quietly as he can manage, sword and shield at the ready.

OOC: My dice are on fire lately!
Last edited October 6, 2015 2:40 pm

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+4)

(13) + 4 = 17

Perception - (1d20+2)

(20) + 2 = 22

Oct 6, 2015 9:45 pm
There is no door just an entrance way on the opposite corner of the room.

You gather around the opposite corner of the room and peer down the hallway. It turns abruptly to the left after only fix or six feet and the flickering of torches becomes clear. Vex pokes his head around the corner and finds that the hallway to left is very narrow but like the rest of the caves has been recently worked to add some height. There are three torches running along the left wall, spaced evenly, about 20 feet apart and you can see that the tunnel once again turns to the left. Just after each torch is a small tunnel, maybe 3 feet in height and just as narrow as the main hallway.

BAD-ASS MAP TIME (Squares are 5'x5')

http://i.imgur.com/xBNxj0E.jpg
Oct 6, 2015 10:43 pm
"Everyone, stay a few steps behind, I'm going to scout ahead!" Vex tells his friends, before moving down the hallway to the first corridor, peeking around the corner carefully when he gets there.

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+4)

(7) + 4 = 11

Perception - (1d20+2)

(12) + 2 = 14

Oct 6, 2015 11:32 pm
The rest of you watch as Vex moves slowly down the narrow passageway. He stops to peek into the first corridor when you hear the growling and barking of wolves, at least two at first, and then more join in.

Oct 6, 2015 11:35 pm
Vex will take a step back so that the wolves can no longer see him and will wait a moment to see if any gobos come around the corner. If they do he is prepared to drop some holy fire on their sorry faces.

Readied action to cast Sacred Flame on any gobos that come around the corner
Oct 7, 2015 3:51 am
Looking at the very narrow passage barely large enough for single file (and probably a tight squeeze for Valrakas), Erevior mutters "Man, I don' like this..."
and walks down the tight tunnel to support the gnome. He knows he can't get past Vex in that tight space, but he figures he'll be able to throw a javelin over his head should any enemies appear.
Oct 7, 2015 4:14 am
The passage is horribly narrow and claustrophobic to Cyriel. Elves aren't made for underground.
He waits at the rear alert to any need of his special services.
Oct 7, 2015 6:44 am
As Cyriel pauses Valrakas moves forward a few paces behind Erevior. The tunnel is a tight squeeze for the minotaur, particularly one such as he, used to fresh air and sea spray.
Oct 7, 2015 9:43 pm
Out of view of the wolves their noisemaking slowly starts to wind down when you hear a heavy door closing from further down the passageway. You hear a single set of footsteps and the sing-song voice (well, as sing-song as the guttural vomit of a goblin speaking can get) of a goblin heading your way. He turns the corner just in time to look up to see a radiance raining down upon him.

Taking a direct hit the goblin shakes his head, trying to get his bearings. Yelling out in broken common, "No hurt me doggies!!" while running into the furthest of the little tunnels.

szemely sent a note to szemely

Rolls

Secret Roll

Secret Roll

Oct 8, 2015 2:53 am
"Well, the cat's out of the bag now. Are we going to move forward?" **sort of quickly!**
Oct 8, 2015 6:17 am
Valrakas moves to launch his harpoon at the fleeing goblin but Erevior is in his way and the goblin manages to duck into the far tunnel. The minotaur recklessly charges after the gobo, pushing Erevior along in front of him.
Oct 8, 2015 6:33 am
The goblin seems less threatening than Valrakas' horns, so Erevior shoves Vex ahead of him, and they all charge down the tight passage.
*Well,* Erevior thinks as they run past the first passage with all the wolves, *I guess we won't hurt his doggies after all...I wonder if Cyriel can handle a whole pack of wolves...?*
Last edited October 8, 2015 6:35 am
Oct 8, 2015 10:57 am
As described above, the three tunnels to the left are narrow and only about three feet in height. Vex has peeked down the first and the goblin ran down the last one.
Oct 8, 2015 12:56 pm
As the party passes by, Vex will look down the second tunnel and, if there's nothing of particular interest down there, will continue and peek around the corner of the third tunnel, attempting to do so without being noticed.

Rolls

Perception (Tunnel 2) - (1d20+2)

(17) + 2 = 19

Perception (Tunnel 3) - (1d20+2)

(10) + 2 = 12

Stealth - (1d20+4)

(2) + 4 = 6

Oct 8, 2015 2:34 pm
As the side tunnels are impassable to his bulk, Valrakas slows down and tries exploring the main tunnel.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+2)

(6) + 2 = 8

Stealth - (1d20+1)

(6) + 1 = 7

Oct 8, 2015 9:42 pm
As Vex moves past the first tunnel the two wolves behind the locked gate start their growling and yelping once again. Almost immediately you hear the goblin from down the hall yell out something in its native tongue and the two wolves quiet down. The situation plays out almost exactly the same as Vex moves past the second tunnel with the goblin's commands having a calming effect on the wolves. Peeking around into the third tunnel the goblin calls out in bad common "Please, no beard dwarf, don't hurt me doggies!"

Valrakas follows in behind Vex and continues to the end of the tunnel.

Oct 8, 2015 10:03 pm
Valrakas doubles back and beckons to the others to follow him down the main tunnel. As he waits for them to catch up he pokes his harpoon threateningly into the opening of the third side tunnel. "Shut yer trap or ye'll dangle from me horns after I skin yer doggies fer me supper." The minotaur leads his companions to the wooden door he found further down the main tunnel.
Last edited October 8, 2015 10:04 pm
Oct 8, 2015 10:12 pm
The goblin gives the huge minotaur a glare and yells "BRAK DA GUH!" and then leads the wolves and himself out of view.
Oct 8, 2015 11:14 pm
Cyriel follows behind. The corridors are so narrow, and Valrakas is so big, he can't see what's happening ahead.
Oct 9, 2015 3:10 pm
Erevior is very impressed with Valrakas, and follows his lead south.
Oct 9, 2015 3:15 pm
Vex narrows his eyes and grinds his teeth, 'No beard dwarf, am I? I'll show him... he thinks to himself. He takes a moment and points down where the goblin disappeared and suddenly Val can be seen rushing after him, harpoon held high. Vex smiles, That illusion should teach him to insult me!

With that he turns to follow Val.

OOC: Vex cast Minor Illusion to create an image of Val to chase the goblin around the corner!
Last edited October 9, 2015 3:15 pm
Oct 9, 2015 5:06 pm
You can hear the goblin screaming and the wolves growling and barking as "Val" charges right through the gate.
Oct 10, 2015 2:51 pm
Following Valrakas around the corner you all find yourself in wider hallway (roughly 6') that appears to dead end 15' ahead. There is a heavy wooden door to the right at the end of the hallway. You can hear that the 'doggie' goblin has stopped his whimpering and keys jingling as he works the lock on the metal gate of the wolf's pen.
Oct 10, 2015 3:01 pm
(Ooc: so if I understand correctly we have advanced all the way along the corridor to a room to the left at the end. Our marching order is Valrakas, Erevoir, Cyriel, Vex). There is a wooden door ahead of us and wolves being released behind us).
Last edited October 10, 2015 3:02 pm
Oct 10, 2015 3:10 pm
Hearing that the goblin is trying to release the wolves Vex will rush back to find him, and if he sees him will blast him with holy power. "Oh no you don't! I thought you'd have learned your lesson!"

Rolls

Sacred Flame Damage - (1d8)

(4) = 4

Perception to find goblin - (1d20+2)

(9) + 2 = 11

Oct 10, 2015 3:14 pm
Cyriel will follow Vex with same plan to stop the goblin, blasting it with a fire bolt.

Rolls

Fire bolt attack, damage - (1d20+5, 1d10)

1d20+5 : (9) + 5 = 14

1d10 : (4) = 4

Oct 10, 2015 3:22 pm
Aye, don't be lettin' them doggies bite me arse!" the hallway booms with Valrakas' laughter.
Oct 10, 2015 4:13 pm
Merlin says:
(Ooc: so if I understand correctly we have advanced all the way along the corridor to a room to the left at the end. Our marching order is Valrakas, Erevoir, Cyriel, Vex). There is a wooden door ahead of us and wolves being released behind us).
Yes, you are all in the wider hallway after turning left at the end of the long narrow hallway. There is a door off to your right and you hear the doggie goblin working his keys. Remember that he had locked himself in with the wolves.

As Vex and Cyriel watch around the corner the 'doggie' goblin pokes his head out from the third small tunnel just as Vex's Sacred Flame engulfs him. The goblin shrieks in pain as he flops to the ground dead.

Rolls

Secret Roll

Secret Roll

Oct 10, 2015 4:21 pm
Valrakas shoves the door open.

Rolls

Strength check to break it down if it's locked. - (1d20+3)

(11) + 3 = 14

Oct 10, 2015 5:59 pm
"Well done Vex, beat me to it. Let's get back to the others. Sounds like the Bull is bashing something."

Cyriel heads back to Erevoir and Valrakas.
Last edited October 10, 2015 6:00 pm
Oct 10, 2015 6:01 pm
Vex smiles at Cyriel, "I have to say it was close!" he then heads back to see what Val is doing with Cyriel.
Oct 11, 2015 5:22 pm
Valrakas pushes with all of his might against the door only to soon realize that to opens outward. Reaching for the handle he works the latch easily and flings the door open. The dim light from your harpoon allows you to make out four goblins sitting around a table, apparently playing a game of some sort. One of them, without even looking up from the game, says something to you in goblin.

Valrakas is standing in the doorway with Erevior directly behind him with Cyriel and Vex a bit back from there. Valrakas and Erevior can each take an action (and then roll for initiative) - Cyriel and Vex, please roll for initiative.

Rolls

Secret Roll

Oct 11, 2015 5:35 pm
Cyriel reaches the room just in time to see Valrakas work out how to open a door.

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+3)

(6) + 3 = 9

Oct 11, 2015 7:04 pm
Vex sees Val open the door and hears the goblin speak, he prepares for battle.

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+2)

(16) + 2 = 18

Oct 12, 2015 1:55 am
Valrakas charges into the room and picks up the vocal goblin by the throat.
OOC: Valrakas enters Rage and makes a grapple attack on the vocal goblin. On the first regular round of combat the next gobo will get his horns.

Wow, those are some incredibly bad rolls!
Last edited October 12, 2015 1:55 am

Rolls

Grapple (advantage from raging) - (1d20+5, 1d20+5)

1d20+5 : (4) + 5 = 9

1d20+5 : (5) + 5 = 10

Initiative - (1d20+1)

(2) + 1 = 3

Oct 12, 2015 5:09 pm
Erevior throws a javelin at one of the seated goblins (not the one that Valrakas has hoisted). Apparently he was just as confused by the door, however.

(OOC: no kidding! Are you sure we surprised them?)
Last edited October 12, 2015 5:11 pm

Rolls

Throwing a javelin (attack) - (1d20+4)

(4) + 4 = 8

Initiative - (1d20+1)

(7) + 1 = 8

Oct 12, 2015 11:15 pm
Valrakas makes a grab for one of the goblins but the little bugger manages to slip away while tossing out a goblin curse. The others grab for their weapons as they notice a javelin fly through the air and stick into the far wall. They look at each other and chuckle; this is almost going to be too easy.

Vex and Cyriel hear the commotion and by the goblins' reactions can guess things haven't started off too well.

Of course in their overconfidence the goblins borked their initiative roll (well, they didn't Valrakas it, but it was still bad).

Initiative Order:
Vex
Cyriel
Erevior
Goblins(1-4)
Valrakas

Rolls

Secret Roll

Oct 12, 2015 11:30 pm
Vex rushes to see what's going on. He either:

1. gets there quickly and casts a quick spell, calling down holy fire on a goblin.
Or
2. rushes as quickly as he can to join his friends

1. Sacred Flame on a gobo DC 12
Or
2. Taking dash action to get into the fray!
Last edited October 12, 2015 11:30 pm

Rolls

Sacred Flame damage - (1d8)

(6) = 6

Oct 12, 2015 11:48 pm
Cyriel says, "Here comes the artillery!"

"Eat fire!"

Rolls

Fire bolt - attack, damage - (1d20+5, 1d10)

1d20+5 : (3) + 5 = 8

1d10 : (8) = 8

Oct 13, 2015 12:04 am
Vex rushes into the room and quickly spots a target. Raising his hand he calls down a radiant attack on the goblin furthest to the right. Looking up the goblin can see the attack coming and attempts to dive back out of the way but is hammered to the ground before he can even move. Goblin #4 is KIA

Cyriel's attempt to feed Goblin #3 is unsuccessful as the little critter ducks underneath the fiery bolt and quickly stands back upright locking eyes with the elven wizard. "No hungry for fire today, skinny mage!"

Rolls

Secret Roll

Oct 13, 2015 12:51 am
Erevior rushes in and swings his axe at the next closest goblin (other than the one Valrakas is trying to grapple).

Rolls

Battleaxe - (1d20+4)

(17) + 4 = 21

Damage on hit - (1d12+2)

(10) + 2 = 12

Oct 13, 2015 1:31 am
The axe hits home, catching the left most goblin right in the chest, and just about drives clean through. He's dead before he hits the ground. Goblin #1 is KIA

As you bring your axe back about you catch a glimpse as the goblin who ducked Cyriel's attack charges past you, yelling "You eat now, stupid elf!" He launches an overhead strike with his scimitar connecting hard with Cyriel's collar bone. [6HP Damage]

Catching his bearings after ducking out of Valrakas' grapple attempt, the other goblin turns on his would be wrestling partner. Taking a wild slash with his sword he catches the Minotaur on his forearm with a grazing hit. [3HP Damage]

Valrakas is up and then the top of the order.

Valrakas is engaged with Goblin #2.
Cyriel is engaged with Goblin #3.
Vex is to the right of Goblin #3 and Cyriel.
Erevior is the left of Goblin #2 and Valrakas.

Initiative Order:
Vex
Cyriel
Erevior
Goblins(2 & 3)
Valrakas

Rolls

Secret Roll

Secret Roll

Oct 13, 2015 2:56 am
Cyriel says, "Ouch. Seriously? You can't protect me from a stupid goblin??" The elf actually sounds quite angry, but doesn't address anyone in particular. Looking severely hurt he murmurs, "I'm done with this nonsense." He then weaves a spell.
Last edited October 13, 2015 3:01 am

Rolls

Sleep targeting 3 goblins (total Hps affected) - (5d8)

(66673) = 28

Oct 13, 2015 9:19 am
Valrakas doesn't even feel the nick on his forearm but he roars with rage and swings his massive head down to gore the offending goblin, then he moves and his horns swing down again to catch the other goblin and fling it against the wall.

Horns attack vs. Goblin #2
Hammering Horns bonus shove vs. Goblin #3
Where's Goblin #4?
3hp damage - is that before or after factoring in damage resistance from raging?

Rolls

Horns attack vs. Goblin #2 - (1d20+5)

(6) + 5 = 11

damage - (1d10+3)

(10) + 3 = 13

Hammering Horns bonus shove vs. Goblin #3 (advantage) - (1d20+5, 1d20+5)

1d20+5 : (19) + 5 = 24

1d20+5 : (17) + 5 = 22

Oct 13, 2015 12:51 pm
Vex, seeing Cyriel take a vicious hit steps up to the goblin (#3) and viciously attacks with his sword.

Rolls

Attack/Damage on Gobo #3 - (1d20+4, 1d6+2)

1d20+4 : (8) + 4 = 12

1d6+2 : (2) + 2 = 4

Oct 13, 2015 1:54 pm
Erevior pulls out his rope and ties up the two sleeping goblins (assuming they weren't both killed before Cyriel's spell, and assuming he hasn't fallen asleep himself).

(OOC: Vex's Sacred Flame killed #4.)
Last edited October 13, 2015 2:14 pm
Oct 13, 2015 9:55 pm
Once again the mouthy goblin (#2) is just too quick for Valrakas as he’s able to duck under the horns and roll to his left. Cyriel’s attacker, however, isn’t as lucky and feels the full brunt as he’s shoved safely away from Cyriel and into the wall.

[Valrakas' 3HP of damage was before the raging - please adjust accordingly]

Seeing the goblin shoved away, Vex jumps in and takes a wild swing with his sword, but it harmlessly misses its mark.

Having enough of, well, everyone and everything, Cyriel’s quickly works a sleep spell centered on the action and the goblins slump to the ground. They slowly curl up into a fetal position and start to loudly snore. Vex, seeing the sleeping goblins, turns to Cyriel to praise his actions (or curse him, the expression on his face could go either way) only to fall straight forward. Of course Cyriel never would have heard Vex as he too has fallen to the ground asleep; most likely dreaming that the rest of you were capable adventurers, worthy of his presence.

Surveying the scene Erevior moves in quickly and secures the two goblins with some rope.

Vex, Cyriel, and both goblins are asleep. The two baddies have been secured.
You're in a rather large room. In addition to the table that the goblins were at when you first entered the room there are what passes for goblin beds (eight of them) on the other side of the room. There is an exit opposite from where you entered.
Oct 14, 2015 12:45 am
Once he's finished tying the goblins, Erevior will yawn, and then shake Vex and Cyriel gently awake. When they've started to wake up, he'll sleepily search the beds for any clues about the kidnapping or the key.
Last edited October 14, 2015 12:45 am

Rolls

Perception to search room (WIS + prof) - (1d20+3)

(6) + 3 = 9

Oct 14, 2015 2:32 am
Erevior: A search of the room turns up nothing as far as clues go. Near the beds you find a bone handled dagger with what appears to be a goblin word carved into the handle, a small wooden shield, 23 CP, and five GP.
Oct 14, 2015 2:59 am
Groggily climbing to his feet Vex looks around, mumbling under his breath, "Can't even let me get a nap in," he stretches and, seeing Erevior searching the room, will join in.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+2)

(12) + 2 = 14

Oct 14, 2015 3:24 am
Cyriel wakes up, and looks immediately at the bound goblins. "My spell worked then? Lucky I'm here." Then he winces and grabs his bleeding shoulder. Remembering how much pain he is in, he drops to one knee in agony. "Guys, I really don't feel well."
Oct 14, 2015 3:36 am
Hearing the pain in his friend's voice Vex is shaken out of his sleepy stupor. He quickly rushes to his side, looking over the wound, "This doesn't look good at all, and I'm all out of healing. Hold still, I'll bandage it as best as I can," he says and begins to bandage the wound.

Rolls

Medicine to Bandage Cyriel - (1d20+2)

(9) + 2 = 11

Oct 14, 2015 4:47 am
Erevior is not sure whether Valrakas can wield his harpoon in one giant fist, so the elf offers the minotaur use of the shield.
"Can have this, if you want." He gives each of the others 1 GP and 6 CP, then considers and gives another GP to Cyriel. "Took a pretty good hit, my brother...sorry to wake you!" (this means he keeps 1 GP and 5 CP for himself)
Then he shows the goblin inscription on the dagger to the mage. "Don't know this word; do you?"

If Valrakas doesn't want the shield, Erevior'll toss it aside. He doesn't consider for a moment that anyone else would use it.

"Eight beds, six dead goblins, two caught ones. You want to talk them," (indicating the bound goblins to Vex) "or you?" (to Valrakas).
Last edited October 14, 2015 4:55 am
Oct 14, 2015 6:10 am
Valrakas accepts the shield and straps it onto the wounded forearm with a wink and a grin at Erevior. The minotaur then strides over and picks up the bundle of goblins with one hand. He brings the bundle up level with his horns, roughly shaking the gobos awake and pricking them with his horns. "Wake up, ye filthy maggots! Wake, or I'll give ye to me wizard friend 'ere to turn into worms for me pet fish!"
Last edited October 14, 2015 6:11 am
Oct 14, 2015 10:30 pm
Vex: Your search of the room doesn’t turn up anything that Erevior hadn’t already found but does drive home the fact that goblins are pretty disgusting creatures. Hearing Cyriel's voice you move over and administer some first aid to help stop the bleeding.
Valrakas violently shakes the two sleeping beauties awake. One of them just sighs, resigning himself to the fact that he’ll probably end up as fish food. The other, still recovering from his nap, lets out a scream and starts pumping his legs in order to run away. It doesn’t help but looks hilarious.

Gobo #1: "We no talking to you, beast man!"
Gobo #2: Says something (in Goblin) to Gobo #1.
Gobo #1: "Maybe we talking to you! If you no kill us."
Oct 14, 2015 11:54 pm
After treating Cyriel's wound Vex sighs, "We can't move on from here Cyriel has had some time to recover from this wound. He's lost quite a bit of blood," he says, and then leads Cyriel to one of the beds to sit down and rest.
Oct 15, 2015 3:26 am
Cyriel thanks Vex for tending his wounds and when led to the nasty goblin bed he haughtily says, "Er, I think I'd rather stand, thank you." Even for an elf he looks rather pale. Curious, he looks at the dagger and says, "Looks like goblin to me. I have no desire to learn goblin." He says to the most talkative goblin, "What does this symbol say?"

Responding to Vex, he says, "You know, if resting can let you heal me, I am in favor of that, but if not we need to rescue the villagers. Just keep me at the back and I'll be fine."
Oct 15, 2015 6:26 pm
Erevior's not particularly good at it, but as the old Sedestra saying goes, "Sometimes even the blind catoblepas gets a meal." So he's trying to talk with these guys.

Masking his distaste, the elf says to the dangling goblins: "There's a boy from village was taken. Where is the boy?"

Edit: Yeah, he's really not good at it.
Last edited October 15, 2015 6:27 pm

Rolls

Persuasion - (1d20+1)

(3) + 1 = 4

Oct 15, 2015 9:53 pm
The goblins won't even acknowledge Cyriel or Vex; their full attention is being given to the minotaur.
Oct 16, 2015 5:27 am
Valrakas shakes the goblins violently once more. "Speak, ye lice infested bilge monkeys! What's that symbol on th' knife an' where be th' laddie? Speak, damn ye, or I'll skin ye alive 'fore ye get magicked into fish-bait!"
Oct 16, 2015 6:31 pm
"Stop, beast man!" the first goblin yells as the second starts chattering away in its native tongue to the first. Letting out a little sigh the first one continues on...

"Don't know symbol on the knife. Only newcomers can read. Don't know about human boy. Do know newcomers went on raid last night to village. If human taken it probably with Creld"
Oct 16, 2015 6:37 pm
Cyriel says to Valrakas, "Sounds like a rebel unit of goblins. From what I know goblins don't read... Ever. They detest books. But I need to rest." Cyriel sits on a bed and enters an elven trance... Hopefully for an hour.

Rolls

Recovery roll - (1d6+1)

(6) + 1 = 7

Oct 16, 2015 7:13 pm
Valrakas dumps the goblins on the ground. While his companions rest he sits, grinning at the gobos menacingly.
Oct 16, 2015 8:03 pm
"Who is Creld?" Erevior asks, glancing at the other exit. Is it a door (open? closed?) or a passage?
Oct 16, 2015 8:17 pm
"Creld new leader. Human magic person, bring in new goblin tribe."

The exit is just an open hallway. Goes for five feet and then "T"s...
Oct 16, 2015 8:46 pm
Valrakas follows Erevior's gaze down the passageway. "You reckon one o' us best be guardin' while our friends take their respite? Aye. You or I?"
Last edited October 16, 2015 8:46 pm
Oct 16, 2015 10:09 pm
Erevior grins at the giant bovine man.
"You from the sea - this your chance to show us your skill at fishing!" He mimes casting a line. "Go see what you catch..." Here Erevior mimes walking with his fingers, then they hop with surprise and run back again. "...you maybe bring us back some Go Bos for big surprise!" His other fist mimes attacking the running fingers and he laughs.

Erevior loves the idea of goblins chasing one of the party into an ambush from the rest of the group, but he blames his limited language skills for not being able to convey that idea well. *Of course,* the elf thinks to himself, *the minotaur might just fight them all himself. He certainly seems the sort to enjoy the thrill of battle a bit too much to share it with others...* He frowns at that idea. *Oh well; there's certainly nothing to do about it now. Next time I'll make abundantly certain that I'll go.*
Last edited October 16, 2015 10:14 pm
Oct 17, 2015 6:43 am
Valrakas is thoroughly entertained by Erevior's finger puppetry. He rises to his geet (er...hooves) with a grin, and glint in his eye. Aye! I be off t' catch us a few slimy fishies! With that he heads down the passageway. At the intersection he gazes down both tunnel branches by the light of his harpoon, trying to decide which way to go.
Oct 17, 2015 4:03 pm
Valrakas leaves to investigate the tunnel as the others stay back to rest, which is doing Cyriel a world of good. Vex and Erevior keep watch on either of the exits and see no signs of trouble

Slides a note to Valrakas...
Oct 18, 2015 7:07 am
Erevior hums "Grell, You'll Be a Wemic" to himself, finding it hard not to stare at the bound goblins.
(the song in our world)
Last edited October 18, 2015 4:01 pm
Oct 18, 2015 9:30 am
Valrakas heads deeper into the tunnel complex...

Jabes.plays.RPG sent a note to szemely
Labyrinthine Recall [Racial]: You can perfectly recall any path you have traveled.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+2)

(1) + 2 = 3

Stealth - (1d20+1)

(13) + 1 = 14

Oct 18, 2015 4:08 pm
The bound goblins almost seemed amused as Erevior hums his tune. One of them speaks up, "You let us go now? Gleek will be back soon after he done with his doggies and then you in trouble!" The second goblin mutters something to the first and although you can't make what he's saying, it's obvious that he's not happy with the first one. They start to bicker back and forth.

Oct 18, 2015 4:14 pm
Valrakas listens at the door.

OOC: Ugh.
Last edited October 18, 2015 4:14 pm

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+2)

(3) + 2 = 5

Stealth - (1d20+1)

(6) + 1 = 7

Oct 18, 2015 4:19 pm
Notes to Valrakas
Oct 18, 2015 4:21 pm
"Good, let them come! I like dogs - go good with beer!" Erevior licks his lips, amused at the old joke. Then his face falls. "But we have no beer! Only water." He brightens again. "Have to do gumbo! You got a big pot around here?" Erevior pretends to look around, though he's not about to go through the goblins' foul belongings a second time.
Oct 18, 2015 4:40 pm
Valrakas smiles at the thought of bursting into the room and scattering the gobos like a bowl of guppies with a barracuda in their midst. But the minotaur remembers his friends and reluctantly he retraces his steps to return to them for now to tell them what he's found.
Oct 18, 2015 11:52 pm
The two goblins go between being perfectly quiet for periods of time and then back to bickering. They say nothing more to any of you in the room. You're all about 30 minutes into you rest when Valrakas returns.
Oct 19, 2015 3:22 am
Cyriel maintains his trance.
Oct 19, 2015 4:18 am
"So...you got Brynn, killed all the goblins? Let's go." Erevior gets to his feet and dusts himself off, making as if to leave. "Wait - where's the boy?" He grins at the minotaur. "You didn't get him yet? Either you slowing down, Valrakas, or you feeling generous!"
Oct 19, 2015 8:02 pm
"Generous, aye, that be it! Reckoned I'd share th' catch!" Valrakas eyes the resting elf and gnome and decides there's nothing to be done but get some rest as well. When the two gobos start bickering again he snarls at them, "Shut yer traps!" With a 'clapping' motion of his two huge hands the minotaur bangs the gobos' heads together to knock them unconscious.

OOC: You want attack & damage rolls for that or shall we just say Valrakas knocked them out?

Valrakas scratches a crude map on the cavern floor to show Erevior the tunnels he found. "Beyond this door, there be gobos. "
Last edited October 19, 2015 8:15 pm
Oct 19, 2015 10:13 pm
With an almost comical 'boink' sound the two goblins are knocked unconscious.

If you're all going to take a long rest, I'll assume that you'll take turns on watch (you can watch for up to two hours without it hurting your rest). I'll make some perception rolls for each of you and some other stuff to see if anything interesting happens.

Rolls

Secret Roll

Secret Roll

Oct 19, 2015 10:55 pm
Hunkering down to recuperate you all come to an agreement on a watch order. Each of you take your turn slowly walking between the two entrances and listening out into the connecting hallways. The two goblins occasionally startle the group as they loudly murmur during their Valrakas induced slumber.

During Vex's watch he hears what sounds like a scolding being handed out coming from the direction that Val had reconnoitered earlier. While not being able to make out what is being said it's obvious that the one doing the scolding is speaking in common and does not sound like a goblin.

Erevior can make out the sounds of the wolves that were passed up earlier. Sounds like they're whining. Probably just hungry...

Other than that the rest is uneventful. As Cyriel's about to wrap up his part of the watch and get the party moving he notices that the two goblins are starting to wake.

"Skinny elf, you let us go now? We take doggies and leave."

Long rest is over.
Oct 21, 2015 12:44 am
Erevior ignores the bound goblins' chatter and looks again at the scratched map that Valrakas made in the dust.
"Everyone ready to see what is behind next door?"
Oct 21, 2015 8:55 pm
Valrakas gags the two goblins with some dirty rags, and picks up the gobo bundle. "Let's be off! We've got fish t' catch an' this chum will be t' bait"
Oct 21, 2015 8:56 pm
Vex stands and stretches, feeling refreshed from his rest, "Let's get to it, we got a child to save!"
Oct 22, 2015 3:23 am
"I'm ready too. I'll try to stay out of the frontline this time, but thanks for letting me rest." Cyriel brushes down his clothes to make sure they aren't contaminated by any goblin filth, then casts prestigitation just to be sure.

"Let's go."
Oct 22, 2015 3:57 am
Erevior heads down the passage to the 'T' intersection. "Which way now, Valrakas?"
Oct 22, 2015 4:36 am
Valrakas leads the group down the long, torch-lit tunnel on the right. Anyone looking back sees that the other opposite way comes to a dead end with a collapsed ceiling. Like all of the other tunnels the group has been through it's obvious that there has been recent work done to increase its height. Eventually they come to another 'T'. In a low voice, the minotaur explains, "Right will take us back to the woods, we go left here." As soon as they turn left the hallway ends at a doorway about 25 feet ahead, and there's another cross tunnel about 10 feet ahead. Valrakas leads them to that intersection: to the right is another cave-in, to the left the hallway goes about 20 feet before it dead ends. All of these hallways are well lit with torches.

At the last intersection: Ten feet ahead is a door, 15 feet to the groups right is the cave-in, and 20 feet to left the hallway dead ends. Valrakas points at the door. "Dead ahead. Beyond, there be gobos. I say kick the door down an' I toss this in." the minotaur hefts the gobo bundle
Oct 22, 2015 7:26 pm
Erevior grins and shrugs. He waits for Valrakas' nod, and then throws open the door and steps aside for the flying goblins to pass.

(Is there a check you want me to make to pull this off?)
Oct 22, 2015 9:19 pm
Vex waits with crossbow leveled to shoot at the first goblin he sees take offensive action. Maybe if they start up and see one of their buddies go down right away they will think twice about fighting! he thinks to himself

Readying action to shoot any goblin that attempts to attack us (assuming I can get a clear shot)

Rolls

Crossbow attack/damage - (1d20+4, 1d8+2)

1d20+4 : (3) + 4 = 7

1d8+2 : (4) + 2 = 6

Oct 22, 2015 9:54 pm
When Erevior throws the door open Valrakas hurls the gobo bundle at the first hostile he sees.

If one of the hoatiles is human then that's the target. Otherwise, yeah, first one he sees. I hope we have surprise here. If we don't have surprise and Valrakas is down at the bottom of initiative then I may change this action depending on the situation.

EDIT: Sigh. These rolls.
Last edited October 22, 2015 10:01 pm

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+1)

(4) + 1 = 5

Ranged Attack with improvised weapon - (1d20+1)

(9) + 1 = 10

Damage - (1d4+3)

(2) + 3 = 5

Oct 22, 2015 10:17 pm
Cyriel must have been in such a deep trance that he wasn't aware of this bizarre plan. He watches with interest to see how this unfolds, while remaining alert to any action.

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+3)

(11) + 3 = 14

Perception- advantage - (1d20+3, 1d20+3)

1d20+3 : (20) + 3 = 23

1d20+3 : (9) + 3 = 12

Oct 22, 2015 10:34 pm
The door flies open and the tied bundle o' goblin goes flying into the room as Valrakas spots a target. The little creature, small even by goblin standards, darts away from the surprise attack and runs towards the far corner of the room.

There is sudden silence as the rest of the occupants quickly start to realize something odd is happening. One takes a quick glance at the doorway and yells out at the sight of the huge minotaur blocking the entrance. All hell breaks lose as about a dozen of the creatures all run towards far end of the room. A few stop along their way to strike out at the bundle brothers before joining the others.

You're all outside of the room at this point and can no longer see any of the goblins (other than the -ly twins of course), but you can here them whimpering in the far corner.

Oct 22, 2015 10:48 pm
Cyriel says quickly, "As nasty as goblins are, do we really want to slaughter females and their young?"
Oct 23, 2015 12:56 am
Valrakas stomps into the room. He hadn't realuzed the wee gobos were females and younglings. He squints at them but still can't tell the difference. He shakes his massive head in irritation and bellows, "YARR! Where be this Creld?! An' where be th' human child?! Speak, or I'll stab ye all full o' more holes 'n me cousin's leaky boat!!" He shakes his harpoon at the room threateningly.

Rolls

Intimidation using Strength - (1d20+5)

(4) + 5 = 9

Oct 23, 2015 4:14 pm
Vex walks into the room, keeping an eye out for hostile gobos and humming a jolly tune to himself

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+2)

(15) + 2 = 17

Oct 24, 2015 5:05 pm
Erevior has a nagging suspicion, an uneasiness about all these dead-end corridors...but he steps into the room with the others, looking for other exits.
Oct 24, 2015 6:46 pm
The room is rather large, almost 15 feet by 20, and there is door on the far left wall, just past where all of the goblins are huddling. Along the right wall there are what appears to be cooking utensils; large pots, knives, and the like - and some freshly killed meat of some sort. There are bedding areas spread out here and there in the room.

One of the '-ly' twins yells out what sounds like a command to huddled goblins - two or three of which respond by throwing various items at the bundled pair.

Slowly the largest of the huddled goblins stands up and points to the door on the far left of the room. "Human through there. Door locked, two guards." She pauses for a second, looking for some sort of confirmation that she's being understood, and then continues, "Creld in secret room. You kill him?"

At this point I'm assuming that Cyriel has been keeping Valrakas' harpoon lit with his light cantrip. The room you are currently in has no light sources.
Oct 24, 2015 7:06 pm
Cyriel looks at the goblin who is talking common. It would appear that this Creid is whom they need to find, but he isn't convinced they have to kill everything in their path.

He asks the goblin, "Can you tell us about Creid? Why would you like us to kill him?" When he asks the question he secretly recognizes the goblin didn't exactly say that, but he figures making definitive statements may hurry the conversation along.

Cyriel will touch Valrakas's harpoon anytime he asks nicely.

Rolls

Investigation - (1d20+5)

(17) + 5 = 22

Oct 24, 2015 7:20 pm
This is a comfortable pattern for Erevior, with Cyriel doing the interview. The elf crosses to the door slowly, his hands free and held in front of him unthreateningly as he circles around the huddle. When he gets there - assuming no hostile action from the goblins - he will listen at the door.

Rolls

Perception check (listen at door) - (1d20+1)

(4) + 1 = 5

Oct 25, 2015 5:17 pm
"If this scallywag Creld has th' child I'll scuttle 'im alright." Valrakas mutters. As Cyriel questions the gobos the minotaur goes back out into the hallway to take one of the wall torches just outside the door. Passing Erevior he remarks, "Ye spy how th' tunnels 'ave been widened? I never would 'ave fit in here elsewise. Strange how thy didn' bother shorin' up these cave-ins though." The minotaur walks up to the nearest cave-in to take a closer look.
Last edited October 25, 2015 5:18 pm
Oct 25, 2015 5:40 pm
Vex follows Val, thinking that it would be a good idea to have someone to keep an eye on the oft-brash minotaur so that he doesn't rush off into battle without warning the others. He will also assist in the search for clues at the cave-in.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+2)

(17) + 2 = 19

Oct 25, 2015 7:10 pm
Cyriel: The goblin responds to your inquiry by telling you that Creld is the new tribe leader, a very tall human that moved into the caves about a year or so ago and brought some loyal goblin followers with him. The old tribe members either fell in line with the new leader or were killed off. Creld uses magic to punish and kill those that cross him.

Erevior: As you approach the far door the huddled mass squirms further into the corner giving you plenty of room. You put your ear to the door but hear nothing.

Valrakas & Vex: You both exit the room and come to the first cross hallway and take a left to the cave in. It's clear that this part of the tunnel hasn't been worked as the rest, suggesting that this cave in has been here for quite a while. There doesn't appear to be anything out of the ordinary here.
Oct 25, 2015 7:20 pm
"Well, I'm convinced... Let's kill Creid and save the boy."
Oct 25, 2015 7:22 pm
Valrakas shrugs. "Well, wha' do ye reckon, me wee matey? Shall we go kick down some doors, hook us some baddies 'n be home by supper?" The minotaur stalks back into the room, stowing his harpoon as he does so. Torch in one hand he picks up the gobo twin bundle and heads for the far door. It's obvious he means to toss the gobos through the door much like he did the last time.
Last edited October 25, 2015 7:22 pm
Oct 25, 2015 7:30 pm
"Ever heard of stealth Val?" Cyriel asks nonchalantly.
Oct 25, 2015 7:38 pm
"Sssssh!" Valrakas mock shushes Cyriel. Grinning, he whispers, "I'll break the door down quietly." The huge minotaur tiptoes comically towards the door and mutters to Erevior, "So which direction does this door open?"
Last edited October 25, 2015 7:40 pm
Oct 25, 2015 7:43 pm
OOC: The door opens in towards the room.
Oct 25, 2015 7:53 pm
Valrakas prepares to throw the gobo bundle and waits for Erevior to open the door like before.
Oct 26, 2015 4:27 am
Vex will take a place in view of the door (but still behind cover), with his crossbow ready.
Oct 26, 2015 7:54 am
With a bellowing laugh, Valrakas hurls the gobo bundle into the other room!
Oct 26, 2015 10:41 am
Cyriel rolls his eyes, but waits, poised.
Oct 26, 2015 10:09 pm
Evervior nearly dislocates his shoulder as he attempts to fling the door open. "I said locked!" the speaker of the goblin group says as her face contorts into what appears to be a bewildered expression.
Oct 26, 2015 10:20 pm
Cyriel laughs aloud briefly then regains his composure. "Yes, she did say that, actually."
Turning his attention to the talkative goblin he says, "Got a key, or should I unleash the Bull?"
Last edited October 26, 2015 10:23 pm
Oct 27, 2015 12:27 am
"No key. Only guard has key."
Oct 27, 2015 12:42 am
Vex will search the room to see if he can find anything to use as an improvised lock pick, saying "Hey, maybe if I can find something to pick the lock with."

If he finds something he will attempt to pick the lock.

OOC: Gave myself possible disadvantage because of having improvised tools (or none at all)
Last edited October 27, 2015 12:46 am

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+2)

(6) + 2 = 8

Pick lock [disadvantage?] - (1d20+4, 1d20+4)

1d20+4 : (17) + 4 = 21

Oct 27, 2015 12:44 am
Not expecting goblin doors to be particularly sturdy Cyriel inspects the door for weaknesses, with the goal to identify where Valrakas should aim his head.
Last edited October 27, 2015 12:45 am

Rolls

Investigate door - (1d20+5)

(18) + 5 = 23

Oct 27, 2015 12:46 am
"What about that key we found?"
Oct 27, 2015 12:49 am
Vex stops what he's doing, a flabbergasted look on his face, "Key? We DID find a key, didn't we?"

Wow... I feel like an idiot, I totally forgot about the key
Oct 27, 2015 5:45 pm
Erevior rubs his sore shoulder and avoids the scornful gaze of his companions. Then he tries the key in the lock. Then, if it works, he'll throw open the door.
Oct 27, 2015 9:58 pm
The thick, iron bound, wooden door certainly looks out of place in the goblin lair. Vex's ad-hoc attempt to open the door with finesse fails as the well crafted lock refuses to give. At Valrakas' suggestion Erevior retrieves the key found earlier and gives it a try. Sliding easily into the mechanism he gives the key a quick turn and can feel the bolt slide into the door.

Giving Valrakas the "get ready to throw the goblins" sign Erevior throws open the door and the flying 'ly twins fly through the air landing a good five feet into an empty hallway.

The hallway is about 15 feet long with an identical door at the end.

The female goblin pipes up once again, "Guards and human behind next door. Shhh!!"
Oct 28, 2015 7:56 am
Erevior retrieves the key and creeps down the hall to the next door.

Rolls

Stealth check (DEX) - (1d20+1)

(20) + 1 = 21

Oct 28, 2015 11:56 am
Tired of the goblin-tossing game, Valrakas walks past the gobo twins. As he does so, he shoots a warning glare at them with a finger to his lips. He lowers his horns and prepares to charge through the door once it's opened.
Oct 28, 2015 10:05 pm
Erevior makes it to the door with stealth to spare and can hear a conversation behind it. This door is very similar to the previous except that it opens away from you.
Oct 28, 2015 10:42 pm
Cyriel remains vigilant and attempts to emulate Erevoir's stealthy approach.

Rolls

Perception - advantage - (1d20+5, 1d20+5)

1d20+5 : (2) + 5 = 7

1d20+5 : (11) + 5 = 16

Stealth - (1d20+3)

(2) + 3 = 5

Oct 28, 2015 11:37 pm
Vex sneaks up to the door and listens, trying to discern how far away the voices are from the door.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+2)

(2) + 2 = 4

Stealth - (1d20+4)

(14) + 4 = 18

Oct 28, 2015 11:47 pm
The conversation from the other side of the door sounds fairly heated and as far as you can tell involves just two goblins. Neither sounds as though they're very far away from the door.
Oct 29, 2015 2:55 am
"I can hear an argument on the other side of the door." Cyriel inspects the keyhole just incase the key might fit.

Rolls

Investigate key hole - (1d20+5)

(4) + 5 = 9

Oct 29, 2015 6:58 am
"Open the blasted door an' I'll give 'em even more t' worry about!" Valrakas hisses impatiently. His harpoon is in its sling on his back. He has a torch in one hand and the wooden shield in the other.

AC=15
Oct 30, 2015 4:10 pm
Cyriel is pretty sure that the locking mechanism on both doors is the same and with Valrakas' growing impatience he motions to Erevior to open the door.
Oct 30, 2015 10:16 pm
Cyriel says to Erevoir, "Key!"
Oct 31, 2015 11:04 am
Erevior tests the door to see if it's locked...quietly easing the door open a crack if it is unlocked.

If it IS locked, he will choose speed over stealth: unlock it quickly and throw it wide open.

Rolls

Stealth check to open unlocked door - (1d20+1)

(6) + 1 = 7

Oct 31, 2015 6:32 pm
Evervior moves to the locked door and quickly inserts the key into the mechanism and flings it wide open. The two arguing goblins quickly stop their bickering and scramble into position, each facing the other as they snap their spears to their shoulders and stand at full attention.

Each of you take one action and then roll for initiative. The guards are perhaps eight feet from the door and obviously think that you're someone else.
Oct 31, 2015 6:37 pm
Vex rushes into the room before the element of surprise wears off. He slashes at the goblin on the left with his sword.

Ooc: if a gobo hits him he will retaliases wits his Wrath of the Storm ability. Reaction on being hit to deal 2d8 damage to attacker as a reaction. DC 12 dex save for half damage
Last edited October 31, 2015 6:39 pm

Rolls

Attack/Damage - (1d20+4, 1d6+2)

1d20+4 : (10) + 4 = 14

1d6+2 : (1) + 2 = 3

Initiative - (1d20+2)

(10) + 2 = 12

Wrath of the Storm - (2d8)

(66) = 12

Oct 31, 2015 6:40 pm
Valrakas charges the goblin on the right.

Goring Rush [Racial]: When you use the Dash action during your turn, you can make a melee attack with your horns as a bonus action.
Last edited October 31, 2015 6:42 pm

Rolls

Goring Rush - (1d20+5)

(16) + 5 = 21

damage - (1d10+3)

(5) + 3 = 8

Initiative - (1d20+1)

(3) + 1 = 4

Oct 31, 2015 6:56 pm
Reacting to the situation Cyriel quickly unleashes a fire bolt at the left side goblin.

Impressive, just to be clear, that's two ones.
Last edited October 31, 2015 6:58 pm

Rolls

Fire bolt - ranged attack, damage - (1d20+5, 1d10)

1d20+5 : (1) + 5 = 6

1d10 : (1) = 1

Initiative - (1d20+3)

(9) + 3 = 12

Oct 31, 2015 8:03 pm
Erevior hurls a javelin past Vex at the goblin on the left.

Rolls

Javelin throw - (1d20+4)

(9) + 4 = 13

Javelin damage on a hit - (1d6+2)

(3) + 2 = 5

Initiative - (1d20+1)

(18) + 1 = 19

Oct 31, 2015 10:12 pm
Vex charges into the room and takes a slash at the goblin on the left which just manages to catch some of the goblin’s clothing but doesn’t connect with any flesh. He stares at you in stunned silence as both a fire bolt and a javelin fly over his head - the second of which just misses.

Valrakas has better luck on his attack goring the right most goblin catching him dead on with his horns. The little gobo bounces back and readies his spear, but is clearly hurting.

In the ruckus you can't make out too many details, but do hear high pitched screaming coming from the opposite side of the room.

We're at the top of the order:
Erevior
Left Goblin (engaged with Vex)
Right Goblin (engaged with Val)
Cyriel, Vex, and Val

Rolls

Secret Roll

Secret Roll

Nov 1, 2015 12:47 am
Erevior remains focused on the goblin whom he managed to miss. Vex, Cyriel, and I all attacked this goblin and it still lives...it must be an elite SUPER goblin! I must destroy it before it mega-evolves or breathes fire or something!
As the elf swings his axe down from his shoulders to ready it for the next round, he rushes the left goblin and attempts to shove it to the ground.
Last edited November 1, 2015 12:49 am

Rolls

Shove (STR+Athletics check) - (1d20+4)

(15) + 4 = 19

Nov 1, 2015 1:29 am
"Well, I might have missed the first time, but a slight adjustment of my power and I'm sure a goblin can't stand up to my might." He launches another fire bolt at the left goblin while staying far away from melee ensuring goblins don't get a straight run at him.
Last edited November 1, 2015 1:31 am

Rolls

Fire bolt- attack and damage - (1d20+5, 1d10)

1d20+5 : (17) + 5 = 22

1d10 : (2) = 2

Nov 1, 2015 1:37 am
Note how we all assume that the minotaur is OK on his own.
Nov 1, 2015 1:40 am
Super goblin's eyes widen as Erevior rushes and shoves him to the floor. The nimble little beast is quick to recover though and hops right back to his feet and jabs Erevior in the shoulder with his spear [3HP of damage]. Before an evil little grin can cross his face, however, a bolt of fire catches him right in the chest.

The not so super goblin to the right makes a weak stab at Valrakas who easily parries with his shield.

Vex and Val are up. Both goblins are still up.

Also, I think I handled the goblin being knocked prone thing correctly. Seems like it's just half movement to pop back up - doesn't seem like much of a penalty really...

Rolls

Secret Roll

Secret Roll

Secret Roll

Nov 1, 2015 6:25 pm
Vex goes before Val but I assume he's going to attack the left gobo again so here's my mive versus right gobo.

Valrakas goes for the gobo with another savage thrust of his horns, then attempts to flip the wee bugger into the air.

When you use the Attack action during your turn to make a melee attack, you can attempt to shove a creature with your horns as a bonus action. You cannot use this shove attempt to knock a creature prone.  

Rolls

Horns attack - (1d20+5)

(2) + 5 = 7

Damage - (1d20+3)

(12) + 3 = 15

Bonus shove (flip into the air) (advantage) - (1d20+5, 1d20+5)

1d20+5 : (14) + 5 = 19

Nov 1, 2015 6:32 pm
Vex takes another swing at the gobo while he's distracted by Erevior.

Rolls

Attack/Damage - (1d20+4, 1d6+2)

1d20+4 : (17) + 4 = 21

1d6+2 : (6) + 2 = 8

Nov 1, 2015 7:59 pm
If necessary after Vex's hit (he IS a super-saiyan goblin, after all), Erevior will look for an opening and chop the left goblin with his axe.

Rolls

Great Axe attack - (1d20+4)

(10) + 4 = 14

Great Axe Damage - (1d12+2)

(7) + 2 = 9

Nov 1, 2015 10:52 pm
Super goblin, still a little stunned from the flame bolt, doesn't even see Vex's attack coming. The little creature lets out a surprised yelp as Vex's sword finds a soft spot in his armor and works it way in between its ribs. Super goblin is no more.

To the right the minotaur lowers its head and attempts to gore the injured goblin. Quickly ducking to the side, the goblin lets out a small sigh of relief only to find himself being rushed at again, horns tossing him into the air. Landing with a loud thud he groans and doesn't make a move.

The two goblin guards are dead. You find yourself in a torch lit room that is just about as large the as goblin living quarters you just left behind. On the far wall you see a quivering little boy with his hands tied behind him. A female goblin is at his side trying her best to calm him. "He not hurt!" she cries as she holds out her hands towards the group.

You hear some muffled grunts behind you in the hallway...
Nov 1, 2015 11:24 pm
Vex turns around and peeks into the hallway to see what's going on out there.

Rolls

Perception to look into hallway - (1d20+2)

(9) + 2 = 11

Nov 2, 2015 12:02 am
Cyriel uses his investigation skills to ask the boy, "Are you from White Oak?"

Rolls

Investigate - (1d20+5)

(14) + 5 = 19

Nov 2, 2015 1:51 am
The boy, no older than 5 or 6 years old, looks up at Cyriel and in a barely audible voice says, "Yes. I want to go home!" The female goblin backs away from the group, towards the wall, hands still out towards the group.
Nov 2, 2015 2:19 am
Vex will rush out to the other room, "Hey, you all stop that!"

If they decide to attack him he will rush back into the room with Val.
Nov 2, 2015 2:31 am
The goblins stop their beating on the "-ly" twins long enough to give Vex a perplexed look.

"Why? They killed most of tribe. Now we kill them!" a few go back to kicking the tied up duo when one of the bigger goblins yells something at them in their native tongue. The attacks stop and they wander back to the other room, the bigger goblin spitting at the two before looking at Vex and saying "We leave these two to big minotaur for food, funny dwarf." She promptly turns around and follows the others back to the room.
Nov 2, 2015 3:58 am
Erevior faces the female goblin and, feeling very uncomfortable, talks to it.

"Where is Creld? We want to...talk with him..."
Nov 2, 2015 4:05 am
Cyriel addresses his comrades. "Well, it looks like we have found the boy. As tempting as it is to pursue Creid, shouldn't we return him to White Oak."
Nov 2, 2015 4:55 am
Erevior says, in Elvish: "Something suspicious is going on here. These goblins seem to have been manipulated by this Creld person. We might as well get a hint or two of what's happening while you calm the boy enough for Valrakas or me to carry him back to town. This one seems like it might be willing to talk."

Back to the goblin, in Common: "So what can tell about Creld guy?"
Nov 2, 2015 8:30 am
Valrakas fishes out his lucky charm: a tiny boat carved out of whale bone. He crouches down next to the boy, "Here ya go, laddie. This be me lucky boat. D'ye like it? Ye c'n keep it if ye like." He flashes a toothy grin. He hasn't taken into account that a minotaur, his horns and hooves dripping with goblin blood, might not be the most comforting sight for a young boy.
Last edited November 2, 2015 1:28 pm
Nov 2, 2015 11:54 am
In Elvish to Erevoir, in a condescending tone, "I know there's something suspicious about Creid, but we've completed our quest. We need to save the boy. The Creid problem is not our problem, and we can't pursue Creid with the boy. We should take him back then decide what to do." He pauses. "We can interview the goblins, but saving the boy must be our priority. I cannot see any other course of action."
Nov 2, 2015 1:54 pm
Vex, having taken care of the beating that was occurring in the other room will rejoin his friends. He will approach the boy, patting Val on the shoulder as he comes up saying, "I see you've met good old Val here. A bit scary looking, I know! But he's got a heart of gold and there's no safer place to be than behind him! We'll get you home safe and sound," he comforts the boy.
Nov 2, 2015 10:57 pm
Brynn's eyes nearly pop out of his head as Valrakas crouches down next to him and offers his lucky charm. Paralyzed with fear the young boy doesn't move or make a sound save for an occasional involuntary whimper. His attention is suddenly drawn away as Vex approaches offering some comfort and putting a good word in for Val. The boy tentatively reaches for the tiny boat before stopping. "I wanna go home..." he says as he starts to cry.

The goblin responds to Erevior, "Creld is new leader. Human who uses magic and brought in new tribe. Some old tribe joined the new, others fled, some killed or held back here. Some old tribe members heard of plans to kidnap humans on other side of river for Creld."
Nov 2, 2015 11:34 pm
"The people will want know this...last question: where is Creld now? Then we go, leave you."
Nov 3, 2015 12:58 am
"Creld in his secret room. Not so secret I can show you."
Nov 3, 2015 1:11 am
"I wonder what Creld does in his secret room?" Cyriel asks whimsically. "What do you guys want to do? We can't leave the boy with goblins.... No offence," he adds as a side note to the chatterbox goblin.
Last edited November 3, 2015 1:12 am
Nov 3, 2015 2:24 am
Erevior nods, "Yeah, you right. Was hoping for more." He looks at the goblin again. "You been good help. Can you tell how to get to secret room, not show? Don't want to take boy anywhere but home, but we maybe come back."
Nov 3, 2015 2:32 am
"Secret room is close. Exit next room then go this way." she waves her right hand, indicating right. "Looks like blank wall at end of hallway."
Nov 3, 2015 2:53 am
"And how do we open this secret room?" Vex will ask.
Nov 3, 2015 3:27 am
"Don't know how to open."
Nov 3, 2015 3:41 am
"We need to, we figure it out." Erevior nods, and then, grudgingly... "...thank you. You pretty good, for a goblin. We go now, may be back."

He'll turn back to Brynn. "Boy...Brynn...you ready to go back to momma, to Sophie?" He squats down to look at Brynn at eye level. "It time to go home, Brynn. You want me carry you, or you want to ride the big bull? We get you home to Sophie quick now."
Last edited November 3, 2015 3:42 am

Rolls

Persuasion (CHR) - (1d20+1)

(14) + 1 = 15

Nov 3, 2015 4:16 am
Cyriel says to Erevoir, "Why are you talking like that? The boy isn't stupid. I always find human children learn common better if you speak normally." He turns to Brynn and asks, "You aren't stupid are you? You understand we are taking you home?"
Nov 3, 2015 4:47 am
"Enough talk! You carry th' lad, Erevior. Let's hurry, an' come right back. I don't want this Creld gettin' up t' any more funny business." With that, Valrakas retrieves the battered gobo bundle and heads briskly for the exit tunnel.
Nov 3, 2015 5:47 am
Erevior grits his teeth at Cyriel's ridiculing his poor Common again. It helps that he knows from experience that the half-elf is just oblivious, not malicious. His attitude seems to be, if he can speak Common fine, then of course everyone else must be able to as well! When they first met, Erevior was much more affronted, and tried to explain how he'd learned Common relatively late in life, and how grammar and syntax wasn't particularly important when most of the language was memorized as part of a song, but his justification fell on deaf ears. It's distressing, because Erevior is pretty self-conscious about his broken Common.

Erevior lifts Brynn with his left arm and tries to balance him on his hip while he walks. It's awkward, because the child alternates between desperate flailing and going completely limp, which means that Erevior has to keep slowing down or stopping to shift his weight around. Still, they're probably able to make better progress going back out of the goblin warren than they would if the kid was to walk himself. To assist calming Brynn (as well as bolstering his own sanity), Erevior tries to sing a soothing elven lullaby. Brynn keeps kicking him with his little legs, though, which ruins a bit of the effect.
Last edited November 3, 2015 5:51 am

Rolls

Performance (singing) - (1d20+3)

(9) + 3 = 12

Nov 3, 2015 5:54 am
On their way back Vex will entertain the boy with small illusions, he tries to match them up to whatever song Erevior happens to be singing.
Last edited November 3, 2015 5:55 am
Nov 3, 2015 11:30 am
Cyriel sends Cecil ahead to look for surprises. As he sees Valrakas heading in a different direction he says, "Whoa! Where are you going? It must be safer to go back the way we came?"
Last edited November 4, 2015 11:43 pm

Rolls

Perception advantage - (1d20+5, 1d20+5)

1d20+5 : (19) + 5 = 24

1d20+5 : (10) + 5 = 15

Nov 5, 2015 6:20 am
"Har! Safe be boring, little elf!" Valrakas boasts, and doesn't change his course. He has picked the torch back up, and has the gobo bundle in the other hand.
Nov 5, 2015 5:46 pm
"Maybe so, Big Bull, but we have the safety of a minor to consider. Don't be reckless. We'll find you a pottery shop another day."
Nov 5, 2015 7:35 pm
Erevior nods, and grimaces when the boy pulls on his hair...again.
"Let's take him back way we know, then we come back to explore...and to settle Creld."
Nov 5, 2015 7:36 pm
"I think they're right, big guy, we need to make sure the boy is safe... then Creld will get what he deserves."
Last edited November 5, 2015 7:36 pm
Nov 5, 2015 11:01 pm
Working your way back from the last room you pass the "-ly" twins, still bound, although a little more bloody and bruised than when you left them. Valrakas heaves them back up for the trip home (possibly as future pets?). The large living quarters is all but abandoned now with just the one female talker from before still in the room.

"Others trying to escape. I wait for you!" she says as she starts to tag along behind you.

As you exit the room you come to the first intersection, to the left is the cave-in and to the right is the dead-end hallway (that you all realize leads to Creld's room). As you move along the large hallway you come to the intersection from which you came. Valrakas wants to move straight ahead as he knows it's the quickest way out. The rest of party is opting for the safety of back-tracking.
Nov 6, 2015 10:26 am
"Majority wins. Thass how we always did it on the ship. Except..." Valrakas rattles the gobo bundle again and brings the torch up near their faces. "What's that way, eh?" he asks, pointing the torch down the unexplored tunnel. "An' don't be lyin' t' me or I'll yank yer tongues out an' turn 'em into me grandma's new coin purse!"
Last edited November 6, 2015 10:27 am
Nov 6, 2015 11:07 pm
The bundled goblins having had any fight thoroughly beaten out of them by this point offers no resistance to Valrakas' query. "Main entrance. Goes straight to woods trail. Trail goes to hidden river bridge."

With that the group starts retracing their route into the goblin lair with a single female goblin tagging along behind. You travel the first hallway and enter the goblin room where you picked up the "-ly" twins, the two other corpses still there. "Good!" the female spits as you continue on into the "doggie" hallway.

As you walk by the dead wolf handler and the wolf pens the animals react as you would expect, yelping and barking as you go by. Brynn holds onto Erevior a little tighter, but the continued signing and light show calm quickly calm him. Until…

"GLEEK!!!" the female goblin screams as she runs over to the dead wolf handler. "They kill Gleek!!"

OOC: I'll continue on tomorrow if there are no actions at this juncture.
Nov 7, 2015 3:38 am
Cyriel makes no comment on the goblins observation, and sends Cecil ahead to seek danger.

Rolls

Perception, advantage - (1d20+4, 1d20+4)

1d20+4 : (18) + 4 = 22

Nov 7, 2015 11:52 pm
Leaving the female goblin behind the group continues to backtrack through the lair. Exiting the cave you enter the now darkened forest, a half a day having passed since you left The Broken Spoon. You work your way back up the trail when Cyriel quietly calls for you to stop. About 100 feet ahead, where you had your first encounter with the goblins, Cecil has spotted some sort of movement among the corpses.

Nov 8, 2015 1:09 am
"Whoa! It looks like our handiwork from earlier has attracted some interest. There are three goblins and a human up ahead searching what I assume are the corpses of the goblins we killed earlier!"
Nov 8, 2015 2:23 am
"Shiggabiggah!" Erevior curses in Elvish, feeling helpless with the squirming kid in his arms.
Nov 8, 2015 1:12 pm
Cyriel raises an eyebrow at Erevoir's curse. "Careful, there are children present... Let me deal with this."

Cyriel attempts to sneak forward, to within 90' of the searchers, and then casts sleep.
Last edited November 8, 2015 1:14 pm

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+3)

(18) + 3 = 21

Sleep - (5d8)

(84777) = 33

Nov 8, 2015 5:15 pm
Cyriel moves forward silently until he's in range to cast his sleep spell. Focusing on what he believes to be the center of the group the spell hits and the three goblins slowly crumple to the ground. Suddenly a bright globe appears over the human - "Show yourself, my trouble makers!"

Brynn let's out a small whimper and lets out barely audible "Sheggabugga!" as he clutches onto Erevior.

Nov 8, 2015 8:10 pm
"Bugger this!" Valrakas rushes forward and throws his harpoon at the human.

-bonus action to rage
-30' movement
-ranged attack from 70'

Rolls

harpoon attack from beyond normal range (disadvantage) - (1d20+3, 1d20+3)

1d20+3 : (6) + 3 = 9

1d20+3 : (18) + 3 = 21

damage - (1d6+3)

(4) + 3 = 7

Nov 9, 2015 12:43 am
"Brynn, is that the man who took you from you mother?"
Nov 9, 2015 1:46 am
Note to DM

Rolls

Secret Roll

Nov 9, 2015 1:48 am
Vex, seeing Val charge, will pull out his crossbow and fire a bolt at the human

Rolls

Attack/Damage - (1d20+4, 1d8+2)

1d20+4 : (8) + 4 = 12

1d8+2 : (1) + 2 = 3

Nov 9, 2015 3:59 am
Erevior: "He sounds like the man the gobos took me to." Brynn answers as he continues to clutch onto you.

Valrakas: Your harpoon misses the mark by quite a bit and unfortunately gives the human a general idea from which direction his ‘trouble makers’ are making their attacks.

Vex: Your bolt passes the human close enough to catch his attention, but misses the mark. (Plus at 100’ it would have been at a disadvantage due to range - if I'm reading things right)

Cyriel: Super secret note.
"Fools!" yells the man from a distance and unleashes a ray of light blue frost that crashes into the trees about 20' ahead of Valrakas' position. "You will pay for what you have done!" The light above him goes dark and you can hear him scurrying about as he runs towards one of the sleeping goblins.

One more action for each of you (roll initiative as well) as the human moves to start slapping the first goblin from his slumber (that will be his action for the round).

I have Cyriel at 60' out, Valrakas is 70' out, with Vex and Erevior at 100' out.
Nov 9, 2015 4:02 am
Vex will rush forward to get to a better range and fire another bolt at the man.

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+2)

(4) + 2 = 6

1d20+4 : (16) + 4 = 20

1d8+2 : (6) + 2 = 8

Nov 9, 2015 4:32 am
Hoping to prevent the human from waking the goblins, Cyriel launches his most powerful spell at the target... Magic Missile!!

(Ooc: Cyriel should be 80'... Or is it 60' so he can see in the dark?)
Last edited November 9, 2015 4:37 am

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+3)

(3) + 3 = 6

Magic missile... Damage - (3d4+3)

(313) + 3 = 10

Nov 9, 2015 5:06 am
With his harpoon lying in the dirt dozens of feet away Valrakas draws his cutlass and shield as he charges forward. As his bloodlust rises he licks the cutlass blade, drawing blood.

-Dash 60'
-AC with shield = 15

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+1)

(12) + 1 = 13

Nov 9, 2015 11:49 pm
Valrakas’ miss isn’t a complete waste as it illuminates the area around the human and his silhouette is easy to make out. Seeing his chance Vex moves to within range of his weapon and the bolt hits his mark, planting itself in the man’s hip. He drops to his knees in pain and quickly tries to get back to his feet when three more missiles hit him in quick succession.

Dropping to all fours this time he starts a slow and painful crawl to one of the goblins before he hears the thudding of what he can only imagine is a stone giant rushing to finish the job. His adrenaline takes over as he hops back to his feet and in obvious pain stumbles towards his sleeping ally.

Mr. Pepperknot still has an action coming before the human slaps the goblin into consciousness.
Nov 9, 2015 11:53 pm
Ooc: I thought we each had an action?
Nov 10, 2015 12:01 am
Erevior smiles at the boy. "Let's teach him lesson then, hey? Hold on tight!"

Erevior trots his 30' of movement closer to the sleeping goblins and hurls his javelin at the jeering human. It's all bravado, though: he is thrown off by carrying the child.
Last edited November 10, 2015 12:02 am

Rolls

Javelin to hit (DISADV for distance) - (1d20+4, 1d20+4)

1d20+4 : (3) + 4 = 7

Javelin damage (on unlikely hit) - (1d6+2)

(5) + 2 = 7

Initiative - (1d20+1)

(1) + 1 = 2

Nov 10, 2015 12:12 am
Merlin says:
After Erevior goes then you each will have taken an action, correct?
Nov 10, 2015 2:29 am
szemely says:
Merlin says:
After Erevior goes then you each will have taken an action, correct?
Yes, we each have taken an action, though mine may have cross-posted with your reply.
Nov 10, 2015 3:17 am
Holding on tight as Erevior moves forward, Brynn buries his face in the elf's chest as the javelin flies forward impaling an innocent tree. The human doesn't even notice the attempted attack as he smacks one of the sleeping beauties awake. "Get them!" he yells and points in the general direction he wants the goblin to move.

Initiative Order:
Valrakas: You're ten feet away from both the newly awakened goblin (still prone) and the human.
Goblin #1
Cyriel or Vex
Obviously Evil Human
Erevior

Rolls

Secret Roll

Secret Roll

Nov 10, 2015 3:38 am
Cyriel is determined to defeat the human. The guy seems pretty tough. With that thought he launches a fire bolt at the human.
Last edited November 10, 2015 2:49 pm

Rolls

Fire bolt, attack, damage - (1d20+5, 1d10)

1d20+5 : (5) + 5 = 10

1d10 : (7) = 7

Nov 10, 2015 2:38 pm
Vex loads another bolt, takes aim, and fires at the man.

Rolls

1d20+4 : (13) + 4 = 17

1d8+2 : (4) + 2 = 6

Nov 11, 2015 10:46 pm
OOC: Waiting on Valrakas then I'll have the goblin and the human do their things.
Nov 12, 2015 7:40 am
Valrakas closes the distance to the human and slashes at the man with his cutlass. Then he introduces the goblin to his horns.

Rolls

Cutlass vs. human - (1d20+5)

(18) + 5 = 23

damage - (1d8+3)

(4) + 3 = 7

Bonus shove Goblin #1 aside using horns (advantage) - (1d20+5, 1d20+5)

Nov 13, 2015 1:48 pm
The human sees Valrakas charge in, cutlass swinging, but there's nothing he can do as the blade slashes down onto his back, opening a deep wound. The goblin, working to get to his feet after being rudely slapped awake, grunts as Valrakas' horns catch him and send him rolling across the ground.

Surprisingly nimble, the little creature recovers and rushes back at Valrakas spear tip leading the way, catching the minotaur in the gut. [5HP of damage to Valrakas]

The injured man, still crawling, but in obvious pain, does his best to shield his eyes as Cyriel's bolt of fire crashes into a tree behind him. A brief smile starts to form on his face before Vex's bolt catches the man in the ribs ending his struggle.

Erevior still has an action.

Rolls

Secret Roll

Secret Roll

Nov 13, 2015 4:01 pm
Erevior can't run with this kid holding on to him, and he can't pull another javelin from their harness across his back fast enough, so he moves another 30' (bringing him to 40' from the action), drawing one of his handaxes. It's still long range, but he hurls it at the goblin anyway.

Rolls

Handaxe throw (DISADV), damage - (1d20+4, 1d20+4, 1d6+2)

1d20+4 : (14) + 4 = 18

1d20+4 : (6) + 4 = 10

1d6+2 : (3) + 2 = 5

Nov 13, 2015 5:12 pm
Even with Brynn holding on tight Erevior gets a fairly decent attempt off with his hand axe but just misses the mark.

Next round, order is the same as before:
Valrakas
Goblin #1
Cyriel, Vex, and/or Erevior

The human appears to be dead, two of the goblins are still sleeping, and the third is engaged with Valrakas.
Nov 13, 2015 10:07 pm
Valrakas brings his cutlass to bear on the spear-toting goblin.

Rolls

Cutlass - (1d20+5)

(8) + 5 = 13

Damage - (1d8+3)

(6) + 3 = 9

Nov 13, 2015 10:19 pm
Seeing the human go down finally, Vex shifts his aim a bit and fires at the goblin.

Rolls

1d20+4 : (12) + 4 = 16

1d8+2 : (3) + 2 = 5

Nov 14, 2015 8:19 am
Seeing Vex and Val dealing with the awake goblin... Well the goblin that was awake, then asleep, and then awake, and now likely to be dead goblin... Well, seeing that, Cyriel approaches to keep a close eye on the sleeping goblins.
Nov 14, 2015 2:45 pm
Erevior continues moving with Brynn, 30' closer (to 10'). If any goblin is up AND attacking AND moves adjacent, he will attack with Green (his other handaxe) ready in his hand.

Rolls

Melee attack with handaxe - (1d20+4, 1d6+2)

1d20+4 : (7) + 4 = 11

1d6+2 : (6) + 2 = 8

Nov 14, 2015 5:21 pm
The goblin sees the cutlass coming in but can't do a thing to dodge as it hits clean into his collar bone. Before he can even fall dead to the ground Vex's hits hard simply adding insult to injury.

Cyriel approaches the two other goblins both of which, despite the awkward positions they're in, look content in their sleep, both gently snoring.

Brynn, still holding onto Erevior with all of the strength he can muster, looks at the creatures lying on the ground, "Does this mean I can go home now?"
Nov 14, 2015 5:41 pm
Cyriel says to Brynn. "Yes, we should be ready now, but give me a second..." Cyriel searches the corpse of the human.
Nov 15, 2015 6:13 pm
Cyriel's search of the body turns up a set go keys (three keys), 11GP, a small golden bear figurine (6GP), and a small scroll which he opens and recognizes as a Magic Missile spell scroll.
Nov 15, 2015 6:27 pm
Cyriel asks Brynne, without thinking that a human boy looking at a human corpse might be traumatic, "Do you recognize this man?"
Nov 15, 2015 6:42 pm
Eyes wide as he continues to look at the dead creatures on the ground before him, Brynn doesn't immediately Cyriel's question. A moment later he says "He lives in the cave with the little monsters."
Nov 15, 2015 7:37 pm
Erevior pauses on his way to take Brynn back to the village to speak to Cyriel. "So you think he is this Creld? Was this Creld?"
Nov 16, 2015 3:30 am
Cyriel acknowledges Erevoir's question. "I don't know for certain, but it seems likely." He smiles an elven grin at the boy, trying to reassure him, but probably failing. "Was that Creld we just killed, Brynn?"
Nov 16, 2015 8:41 pm
"He was the man who lived with the monsters. They called him 'Sir'."
Nov 16, 2015 8:43 pm
Vex nods, "Must have been Creld. Can't see anyone else it could have been," he says, and then turns to Brynn, "Unless there were other men there besides this one?"
Nov 16, 2015 8:47 pm
Brynn tells you that he thinks he only saw one man living with the monsters.
Nov 16, 2015 10:10 pm
Erevior shrugs, retrieves his weapon, and takes Brynn back to the village of White Oak. He figures they'll all be better able to come back and sort out the pieces after they're not carrying the child with them.
Last edited November 16, 2015 10:49 pm
Nov 16, 2015 10:46 pm
"Well, that's a bonus then. Mission accomplished." Even as he talks Cyriel realises Erevoir is already striding off. Shrugging, Cyriel sends Cecil ahead to seek out potential danger, the. Follows behind Erevoir.
Last edited November 16, 2015 10:47 pm

Rolls

Perception advantage - (1d20+5, 1d20+5)

1d20+5 : (16) + 5 = 21

1d20+5 : (13) + 5 = 18

Nov 17, 2015 11:37 pm
Cecil doesn't see anything that rouses any suspicions as the group makes it way to the river. As before it appears that the only way to cross is to swim.
Nov 18, 2015 3:07 am
"Great. I forgot about the river. I really need to learn to fly." With that remark he attempts to swim the river, hoping one of his more athletic friends can help Brynn cross.
Last edited November 18, 2015 3:12 am

Rolls

Swim - athletics - (1d20-1)

(6) - 1 = 5

Swim - (1d20-1)

(12) - 1 = 11

Swim - (1d20-1)

(16) - 1 = 15

Nov 18, 2015 6:27 am
Valrakas peers at Brynn. "C'n ye swim, lad? I wager ye c'n swim, growing up around here." The minotaur muses, "I reckon we c'n tie a rope 'round 'im t' be safe, like we did wi' Vex. Or ye can hold on t'me while I swim."
Last edited November 18, 2015 3:14 pm
Nov 18, 2015 2:21 pm
"Val, you should take Brynn across, I'll try to make it across myself this time," Vex says as he jumps into the water and attempts to swim across.

Rolls

3 Athletics Checks, in case I need them! - (1d20-2, 1d20-2, 1d20-2)

1d20-2 : (4) - 2 = 2

1d20-2 : (20) - 2 = 18

1d20-2 : (12) - 2 = 10

Nov 18, 2015 5:33 pm
Three Athletic checks from Valrakas (all at a disadvantage) and three from Erevior. Two more from Cyriel.

Vex is waiting on the other side, obviously pleased that he made it so much easier than before.
Nov 18, 2015 5:47 pm
While fully capable of doing it, Erevior blanches at the thought of swimming with the wriggly child holding onto him. When Valrakas makes the offer, the elf gratefully passes the child over, then winces as he realizes that Brynn still has a fistful of his hair. He gently loosens the child's vice grip on his locks, then stands up and stretches, relieved. Then he walks around, limbering up his arms, runs and leaps into the water for another crossing.

Rolls

Athletics checks to swim - (1d20+4, 1d20+4, 1d20+4)

1d20+4 : (20) + 4 = 24

Nov 18, 2015 6:15 pm
"Hold on to me packstraps, lad. Careful ye don't poke yeself with th' harpoon!" With that, Valrakas plunges into the water.

Rolls

Swim check (disadvantage) - (1d20+5, 1d20+5)

1d20+5 : (16) + 5 = 21

1d20+5 : (18) + 5 = 23

1d20+5 : (8) + 5 = 13

1d20+5 : (20) + 5 = 25

1d20+5 : (14) + 5 = 19

Nov 18, 2015 6:38 pm
(Ooc: wow Val!!!)
Nov 18, 2015 11:24 pm
You all make it to the far bank with little trouble, although Cyriel has drifted a bit down stream and it takes him a minute or two to catch up to the rest of the group. You all wring out various articles of clothing and make your way through the field towards White Oak. It's late but there does appear to be some activity at The Broken Spoon.

OOC: Hitting you guys with disadvantage is like a bonus for ya! :-)
Nov 18, 2015 11:30 pm
Cyriel gestures and Cecil returns to him. Then the bird is gone. "Let's deliver the good news to the Broken Spoon. Maybe Mayor Dale is in there? Or maybe someone knows where he lives? I guess our news is important enough to disturb him."
Nov 18, 2015 11:56 pm
Vex feels good about what they accomplished today. "Yes, let's return to Mayor Dale and get our heroes' welcome that we deserve!"
Nov 19, 2015 4:02 am
"Let' get ye home, laddie." Valrakas says to Brynn. The minotaur strides towards the Broken Spoon with the by clinging to his back.
Nov 19, 2015 4:13 am
"Wonder if we ever find out why goblins been attacking?"
Nov 19, 2015 4:15 am
"Seems Creld was directing them to. Not going to do that anymore. Maybe we shouldn't have killed him?"
Nov 19, 2015 11:10 pm
The four of you walk into The Broken Spoon, Brynn secure on Valrakas' back. The place is nearly empty; Bob is behind the counter and appears to be tallying today's take, while his wife is clearing a few of the tables. At the one occupied table in the entire tavern sits a man who has clearly had a few too many ales. He glances up as you enter, barely given notice until he sees Valrakas. After a quick double take he jumps to his feet as his hand reaches for the hilt of his sword.

"MONSTER!" he screams just before falling forward flat unto his face.

Bob and his wife immediately turn towards the door to see what the fuss is about when they notice Brynn with the group. "Brynn!!" the women yells, running towards you, stepping on (not over) the now unconscious man laying on the floor. Before she can even turn to tell Bob to fetch Abram and Sophie he's already made his way out the back door to find Brynn's mother.

"Where? How?"
Nov 19, 2015 11:53 pm
Cyriel tries to remain real and demure, but inside he is soaring with pride. "It seems a human called Creld was a bad influence on the Goblins." He shrugs, "He won't be anymore."
Last edited November 19, 2015 11:53 pm
Nov 20, 2015 12:27 am
"Across river with the gobli...uh...the Gobos. Like Cyriel said, man brought new Gobos to take over tribe, forced them to do bad things. We finish him. Truly, mostly Cyriel and Vex. Most Gobos don't want trouble; we got rid of bad leader."
Nov 21, 2015 5:19 am
"Creld!?" the women gasps "Creld Lockhorde?"

She goes on to tell the story of how a few years back the man had been run out of town after a few of his magical "experiments, as he called them" had injured several of the townspeople. "When Abram had pieced together that Creld had actually meant to injure them folks, well, let's just say it was in his best interest to leave our little village. He wasn't all too happy about it neither!"

Before she can continue on with the story Val's eardrum is just about shattered as Brynn yells out, "MOMMY!!!" as his mother walks in with Bob, Abram Dale, and several other of the town folk who have tagged along all of whom want to hear about the daring rescue.
Nov 21, 2015 12:38 pm
Uncomfortable under all the peering eyes, Cyriel is confused by the expectation. "I thought I told you what happened?" Cyriel isn't one for stories. His brain is so active he has plenty to think about but those thoughts are private, and he wouldn't know how to share them. Story telling isn't his thing, and he was really rather proud of his summary of what happened. In a flash of inspiration he says, "Buy Val a beer and I'm sure he'll be more than happy to tell you what happened."

You do not have permission to post in this thread.