Train Busters game thread

load previous
Oct 14, 2015 8:04 pm
Clarence notices the flashes of color and goes to look at the window. Seeing the screaming -- and in retrospect, hearing the screaming -- passengers and the weird bolts of light and the robed people, he is convinced that Something Evil Is Afoot! This is clearly unacceptable -- so Clarence turns to his trunk, rummaging around to see if he can find something appropriate to deal with the mummery taking place outside.

He finds his portable gramophone and proceeds to quickly pull together components to turn it into a contraption to emit a large pulse of subsonic sound, which should blow those chaps right off their feet!

Rolls

An attempt to kickassedly rebuild his gramophone into a sonic weapon - (1d10)

(8) = 8

Oct 16, 2015 1:47 am
Saul thinks back to his life in the Amazon, and recalls how he noted similarities between the different languages of the tribes. In a flash of sudden insight, Saul realizes the connections between those languages and those of the North American tribes. As he tries to form the words, the veil is suddenly lifted, and he sees the inherent connections between ALL languages, leading back to when the world was new, and he speaks forth in the language from which all other languages sprung, the tongue of angels and all living things, and what he says, roughly translated, is this:

"What in tarnation is goin' on?"

Unfortunately, the language of angels is no longer spoken by the fallen people of Earth, and the result is that the Cheyenne are amazed and bewildered by this apparition who has appeared amongst them as two of their number have mysteriously perished, black as the night and speaking the tongue of the sky. The thunder and lightning clinch it, and they speak back to Saul, clearly importuning him to some action.

As quickly as it came, the insight into the underlying language of the universe fades, and Saul is just Saul once more.

Saul: 5 gum
Oct 16, 2015 4:16 am
Clarence feverishly begins to disassemble everything close at hand, rearranging it and clipping it together. The contraption that results is the size of a suitcase, with a large cone on the end and a large crank on the side. Clarence aims the cone at the window and cranks furiously. There is another flash of lightning above, a crack of thunder that momentarily deafens everyone, and Clarence releases the trigger mechanism. The air in front of the cone visibly distorts as an incredibly low-frequency wave billows out of the cone. Everyone's ears pop as the air is pushed away, along with the entire side of the train's dining car. The screaming of the passengers and the chanting of the purple robed figures, the whistling of the wind and the sound of cavalry bugles approaching from the south, all are silenced as the wave continues to expand outwards, rolling everything in its path south along the prairie. The sonic weapon fuses, growing hot in Clarence's hands and the cone turns molten and drips onto the floor, scorching the water there into jets of steam. The inaudible soundwave ceases.

Everything is silent for a long moment, and then the wave passes out of (non)hearing, and sound returns with another crack of lightning and thunder directly overhead. Chhun's serpentine body rears up from the water on a neck ten feet long, and continues rising up and up - twenty feet, thirty feet, forty feet - as his body corkscrews into the air. The vast reptile that was the Emperor's messenger circles in the sky just below the looming black cloud, electricity arcing along its flanks.

Luke stands amazed with the others at the faro table, as the wind whips through the side of the train where a wall was moments before, and a dragon roars above them.

The screaming resumes on the other side of the train.

Clarence: 8 gum
Luke: 8 gum
Chhun: 6 gum
Oct 16, 2015 4:23 am
Clarence grabs his wrench and hops down out of the dining car to see if he can club a few of those purpley guys senseless. He might consider keeping one of 'em tied up -- perhaps he could work up some kind of Van der Graaf generator or some such in which he could capture their lightning and... um.. do something with it. That's an idea. In the mean time though, the rest of them need to be well and truly knocked out.

Rolls

Hopping out of the dining car to bop some purple dudes senseless (mundane) - (1d10)

(6) = 6

Oct 16, 2015 1:12 pm
I pause, scanning the various scenes of madness unfolding around me. Creatures bursting forth from within the belly of the train, train robbers, strange cloaked figures with electric arcs leaping from their concealed faces, screams, silence, booming clouds. "What in the hell is going on here?" I almost take stock of my plan, but then I see an opportunity and refocus my aims.

I slip off the side of the train, hanging onto the edge of the roof, and scramble along the side to avoid drawing the attention of any of those involved in the various battles, and make my way to the coal car. One there, I scramble into the space between the cars and heave on the connector that holds the two cars together - if I can detach the coal car, and commandeer the engine, the train will be mine!
Last edited October 16, 2015 1:12 pm

Rolls

Rolling to do a thing (not sure if mundane or kickass) - (1d10)

(9) = 9

Oct 16, 2015 2:11 pm
Frank takes a moment to look around, realizing that he is safe at the moment he takes a look through the window, looking at the purple robed people and just in time to see a dragon rising into the air. He takes a deep breath, "Why does this always happen to me? Everywhere I go..."

He stomps forward toward the engine, "Gotta get this thing going again, not gonna be able to find them bunnies with all this craziness going on," he begins blowing doors open with his Revolving, Exploding, Blasty Cannon as he goes, unwilling to waste any more time opening doors.

Rolls

Rolling to move forward toward the engine, blowing up doors - (1d10)

(8) = 8

Oct 16, 2015 2:56 pm
Saul looks confusedly at the mayhem around him. Every time he thinks he has understood the situation, he finds that he has not. This is not a train heist, and neither is it a Cheyenne raid! Suddenly, Chun the dragon bursts upward. Saul looks up and he thinks he knows what he needs to do. He takes up his blowgun again and makes some adjustments, converting it into a flute. A little something he learned from the dragon charmers on his travels through Shangri-La. He plays a secret melody and bids the dragon to come to him so he can ride it and command it to devour the purple-robed cultists or anyone else who might threaten the train passengers.

Yeah, I'm sacrificing a stick o' gum here.
Last edited October 16, 2015 9:04 pm
Oct 17, 2015 8:44 pm
At this time, we take a pause from the action in the remains of the dining car, the fierce murderizin' in the coal car, the worshipful importunin' in the engine, and enjoy a brief intermission.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_aodDDgVNgdI/TBrWvJ0TpKI/AAAAAAAAFDE/0-uCppSnz5c/s1600/06+DSC_2719+Wyoming+Countryside.JPG

Aaahhh. Don't that just move yer soul?
Oct 17, 2015 11:39 pm
As we take our seats again after that refreshin' take on nature, let's roll our view back a few cars, behind the remains of the dining car, where Ezekiel and Persimmon were discovering that not is all that it seems in the passenger car.

For those of you watching at home (since no one else is paying attention to her), Persimmon's delicate, green scaly fingers have begun to elongate. They stretch and extend, further and further, to the floor as she looks on in horror.

At the same time, we see Ezekiel's captor, whose right appendage is wrapped tight around the lawman's ankle, constricting his boot and preventing further movement. Slowly, the murdered man on the floor holding his foot exhales, softly, sibilantly, not at all like the last gasp of someone who's been shot, but more like a long sigh through gritted teeth. The corpse of Billy the Kid has vanished, and had anyone else still been in the car, they would have noticed that the rear door - leading toward the caboose of the train - is slowly sliding shut behind a trail of green slime on the floor of the car.

Ezekiel: 6 gum
Persimmon: 6 gum
Oct 17, 2015 11:53 pm
http://www.twinrosesdesigns.com/Black%20Wool%20Cloak%20with%20Full%20Hood.jpg
Clarence strides forward and brandishes his wrench. The purple robed freak in front of him pays him no heed, as the light from his cowl finds another passenger. The passenger's flesh withers as he dessicates, the energy seeming to siphon off the life energy from his body. Clarence's wrench clobbers the cowled figure on the top of its head, and it crumbles with a gruesome crunching noise. Energy flares out in all directions, beams of arcing light flashing out to each of the nearby purple-robed figures, and they all grow noticeably taller as they absorb that energy. The darkness between flashes of lightning and the arcs of energy from the cowls is nearly complete.

Clarence: 8 gum
Oct 18, 2015 12:29 am
Realizing that he can't understand them, Saul ignores the chattering of the Cheyenne families and makes some quick adjustments to his blowpipe, fashioning a flute. He begins to play a soulful melody that somehow captures the essence of ancient forbidden temples of the Orient despite his never having been there.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3e/Nine-Dragons1.jpg
The dragon that is Chhun writhes through strobes of lightning as the clouds lower even further and the screaming of the dying passengers heightens in volume in proportion to their dwindling numbers, and over all of it rides the ethereal sound of Saul's pipe. Despite his better judgment, Chhun is fascinated by this taste of home, and he circles lower to investigate. With a flash of lightning, Chhun alights on the deck by Saul, his shape slowly condensing back into human form. Saul leaps onto his back before the transformation is complete, and Chhun roars into the heavens again, lightning sparking from his whiskers. Just at that moment, two explosions of his cannon clearing a path on the deck, Frank drops down from the coal car into the engine in the spot that Saul just vacated. He is followed a moment later by Bonny, who gets the drop on him after detaching the coal car. As Frank is the only target she recognizes as a threat - the man with the big gun - Bonny sticks her gun into his back. The Cheyenne remain awestruck, their eyes on Saul in the sky, coal shovels handing loosely in their hands. This train is mine! she thinks, triumphantly. And then the whistle blows...and blows. The three separate notes that form the whistle warble in pitch, and everybody realizes at about the same time that they are forming words, horrible, howling, deafening words:

"....WIIIILL GIIIIIVE MEEEEE BAAAAAACK MYYYYY LAAAAAAAAB!"

The Cheyenne drop to their knees, clapping hands over their ears at the unbelievable cacophany, while Frank and Bonny are both deafened, their ears ringing. Even Saul, flying upwards on Chhun's back, is stunned by the enormous volume of a train whistle used as a speaking implement. Further, he realizes that there's only one person who could possibly even imagine using something like a train whistle for replicating human speech: the Wizard himself....!

Saul: 4 gum
Bonny: 4 gum
Frank: 7 gum
Oct 18, 2015 8:43 am
I deliver a boot to the small of the back of the man in front of me. Without waiting to see what happens to him, I jump onto the lever that decouples the cars, detaching the coal car and engine from the rest of the train, and leap from there onto the coal car and rush for the engine. Guns in hand I unload a barrage of bullets into the front car, aiming for the blasted whistle first and then anyone in the engine who isn't the conductor.

Rolls

Shoot Em' Up (Kick Ass) - (1d10)

(2) = 2

Oct 19, 2015 8:24 pm
The engine lurches, even though the brake is applied. Then it jumps as Bonny begins to execute people in the area. The first shot punches Frank in the back, but the jumping of the train causes the shot to go wide. It doesn't sever his spine or pierce his heart; his shoulder shatters and the force and shock cause him to lose his grip on the revolving cannon, which drops to the floor onto its trigger mechanism. It proceeds to roll around, firing randomly at everyone's legs. Bonny's second shot hits a Cheyenne in the face, her third shot misses everyone and ricochets around the enclosed space, coming back and hitting her in the hip. She spins around and lands on her hands as the revolving cannon turns towards her. The engine lurches again and a large seam appears in the floorboards...

Bonny: 3 gum
Frank: 7 gum

Saul sees all this happen from dragonback, and notices that the engine is beginning to fall apart. The wheels have just popped out sideways. Could it be related to the evil ritual nearing completion?

Oct 19, 2015 8:53 pm
Frank grunts as he hits the floor, pain radiating through his entire body from his shattered shoulder. Seeing the carnage that his Rotating, Exploding, Blasty Cannon is inflicting on the people in the car he leaps to his feet, does a back-flip over the shot that was about take out his knees and lands in front of Bonny, picking it up before it can take her out. He turns and points it directly at her face, screaming at her, "ARE YOU WITH THEM? WHAT DID THEY OFFER YOU? THEY KNOW I'M CLOSE, DON'T THEY? DON'T PROTECT THEM, I KNOW WHAT YOU'RE UP TO! I NEED ANSWERS NOW!"

Using Bubblegum!
Oct 20, 2015 3:33 pm
The engine flips up on its hitch and everyone careens backwards towards the coal car. Bonny and Frank scrabble for purchase as the deck of the engine goes vertical and rises up into the air. They find themselves hanging by their fingers as long legs unfold from beneath the engine and raise it ten feet in the air.

http://www.first-team.us/i_op-046.jpg

The bugle call of the cavalry is heard again, as they ride back north after the seismic wave rolled them away from the train. Under Saul's musical guidance, Chhun dives down and crunches one of the cultists in his jaws. There is a flare of eldritch energy and the remaining robed figures grow even larger. Chhun's snout blazes with an unholy fire - devouring the cultist is not agreeing with him, and his flying becomes erratic. The last few passengers are fleeing pell mell away from the train, but the robed figures - now each at least eight feet tall - easily catch up to them with long strides.
Oct 21, 2015 4:21 am
"What I need is a bunch of water, because water and electricity always have a bad outcome." Clarence hops back into the dining car and proceeds to monkey with whatever contraptions are available which contain liquid -- perhaps even some of the leftover liquid from the squeaky fish-thing. That said, looking around him, he sees that having blasted the side off the dining car, he has allowed all that water to splash onto the ground and seep into the dry prairie.

"I know!" Clarence begins to work with the various metal bits, flatware, chairs, the samovar filled with substandard coffee, anything. "I can arrange these as a weaponry and use my vest to launch them at these. Surely I will be able to cause serious bodily harm to at least two or three of them." Clarence gets to work, muttering to himself -- a couple test runs and then he begins to use his "magnetic vest cannon" to take out as many cultists with available metal as possible.

Clarence will sacrifice 1 bubble gum to ensure success.
Oct 21, 2015 3:44 pm
The train engine, now converted into a giant (25' tall) humanoid figure with Bonny and Frank (somehow still holding on to his rotating, exploding blasty cannon) clinging to its thighs, releases a blast of steam and steps off of the track with a resounding CLANG. Clarence rushes out into the prairie as best he can with most of the ferrous objects in the dining car attached to him. The dark sky starts to turn an angry red color, as if fire loomed just above the thick black clouds. Each giant robed figure leans back and screams at the sky, releasing streams of energy that rise up like columns supporting the descending black clouds. Just then, Clarence reverses the polarity of his magnetic vest, and a fusillade of forks, knives, spoons, screws, and nails explode forth from him in all directions. Three of the giant purple figures are close enough to be shredded by these; they explode in flashes of flame, leaving black vapors in the shape of devils that slowly rise up into the sky. Chhun, already choking on the dinner of evil robed figure, is hit by several pieces of flying cutlery; with a shriek of pain he falls to earth again. Saul is shielded from the flying metal by the dragon's body, but the wind is knocked out of him as he hits the ground. The windows of the passenger car are blown out by pieces of flying metal, showering Ezekiel, Persimmon, and the reptilian thing holding onto Ezekiel with glass. The cavalry and the giant steam mechanical man that was the steam engine are all pelted with a rain of cutlery and hardware plunking down around them.

Bonny and Frank each pull themselves up onto surfaces that were vertical before and are now horizontal. Miraculously, Bonny retrieves her gun and each of them is able to stand, despite their gunshot wounds (they are so kick-ass they don't notice wounds). They are close to one another, but separated by at least two yards of open space (with a drop of about 10 feet) as each thigh groans forward and stomps the leg down in the process of the Mechanical Man's walking roughly East, parallel to the train and toward the cavalry and several of the purple-robed figures. All of the Cheyenne have dropped off of the engine. The furnace is above Bonny and Frank, in the thing's torso, and they can hear whirring and clicking of clockwork as well as someone muttering above that.

The black cloud, shot through with red and pierced by a few remaining columns of screaming light, begins to whirl into a vortex, a vast whirlpool above your heads. Anyone close to a standing purple robed figure is illuminated in piercingly bright white light; everything else is lit with a dull red glow. The cavalry arrives at the train, expecting to find the Cheyenne they've been chasing since they escaped the reservation, but finding instead...well, they plumb just don't know what they've found. Expecting a fight, a couple of the soldiers fire tentative shots at the Mechanical Man; the bullets ricochet off of the engine close to Bonny and Frank.

Bonny: 3 gum
Frank: 6 gum
Ezekiel: 6 gum
Persimmon: 6 gum
Chhun: 6 gum
Clarence: 7 gum
Luke: 8 gum
Oct 21, 2015 4:19 pm
I set out to commander the train, and I don't rightly care if it's decided to be a giant mechanical man instead of a train - it will still be mine. Seeing no other reasonable option, I holster my gun, grit my teeth, turn my attention upwards. Fuelled by adrenaline (and a dwindling supply of that awesome pink chewy stuff), I leap upwards, grasp onto an extending chunk of metal, haul my body up and begin my ascent. I flow with it's movements, grasping for handholds when they are available and leaping from the one chunk to another when they are not. I ascend towards the muttering, confident that they're the driver of this metal-train-man.

Rolls

Ascend the Robot (kick ass) - (1d10)

(6) = 6

Oct 21, 2015 4:46 pm
Annoyed by the interruption of his search and sure that the perpetrator of this setback is above, Frank holsters the Blasty Cannon and begins his ascent.

Rolls

Ascending! (Kickass) - (1d10)

(8) = 8

Oct 22, 2015 8:39 pm
Bonny is no stranger to climbing obstacles, as she demonstrates with an amazing display of agility and finesse. Her ascent includes a number of leaps from handhold to foothold, twists, a brief period where she is hanging upside-down, and a vertical cartwheel, all of which, together, take her to the "shoulder" of this Mechanical Man, twenty-five feet above the prairie. She pauses there for a moment, as the wind billows her duster and hair behind her and a bolt of lightning cracks down, silhouetting her sharply. The Mechanical Man's head is actually a normal man's head. Bonny does a double-take, and then realizes that a man in a suit is seated in a depression in the shoulders, operating a series of levers, dials and switches to operate the movement of the Mechanical Man. She has no idea who Edison is; to her, he's just some crazy passenger in her way. Edison looks up at her and his jaw drops. His experience cannot reconcile with the existence of this wild woman with her hair streaming free. He is enchanted and terrified at once. He stammers, inadvertently switching on the amplification which converts his speech into the steam whistle again.

"MY WORD! MISS, YOU ARE A VISION!"
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.