Chapter Seven: The Stalemate At Loton's Cove

load previous
Feb 22, 2019 6:57 pm
Quote:
"I couldn't," Obram says, refusing the gold. He looks over at the two nurses standing by the door. "The Virgins need it more than I do. I'm sure they've used up well more than ten gold pieces worth of medicine and bandages on me."
"The money is yours to do with as you wish," Domarc says, with a shrug. "If you prefer it goes to the Virgins, then that is where it will go. I do not think we need to impose here any longer, except to extend our gratitude once again, and wish you the best."
Feb 22, 2019 7:01 pm
Is he genuinely happy about the idea of assassinating Gethro, or is he laying a trap?

HELL YES. I needed that nat 20.
Last edited February 22, 2019 7:02 pm

Rolls

Insight - (1d20+3)

(20) + 3 = 23

Feb 22, 2019 7:08 pm
Mordred interprets the smile as "aha, I'm smart and I figured you out," not so much an indicator of enmity toward Gethro.
Feb 22, 2019 7:09 pm
Also, and I'm just asking for a friend here, but what are the mechanics in 5e around assassination? Is it just a regular Sneak Attack, or can I just slit his throat for an instakill?
Feb 22, 2019 7:14 pm
Oh, OK, assassination off the table for now.

"No, lieutenant, we are truly here with the Heirophant's blessing. I will admit, the task we undertake for Moag at the Heirophant's behest is not to determine what happened here at Solyhill, but rather the investigation of a much larger plot, of which the dragon attack may be a small part. Please, let me see the other survivor so we can go on our way."
Feb 22, 2019 7:15 pm
Is your friend thinking about assassinating a military officer, standing a few inches away and facing him, in a stairwell?

I'd say your friend would not have sufficient cover/surprise for either a Sneak Attack or an instakill. Your friend would have to reach for a weapon, because it wouldn't make sense for him to be holding one a the ready at this moment, so we'd be looking at instantiating combat, rolling initiative, and making a standard attack roll.
Feb 22, 2019 7:32 pm
"Thank you," Obram says. "Before you go -- have you any news from the south? I'm curious how the war is progressing. I've a friend who fights with the Yellow Company on the Gurmarine side."

~meanwhile~

The smile leaves Horii's face. "I see," he says, with a look that indicates he trusts Mordred perhaps even less than he did a moment ago. "Let's be quick about this, then."

He leads you to a small room where a nurse sits on a stool outside, working on a small embroidery project and singing quietly to herself. She looks up as you approach. The lieutenant asks if Ganis is awake, and she shakes her head no. The lieutenant opens the door.

Inside, in a small room with the shutters closed, lies a man wrapped in linens from his head to the stumps of his legs. His chest rises and falls slowly with a soft rasping sound.

"He had little of note to tell the investigators who sat with him for hours, and he will have even less to tell you. The medicines that make his pain bearable dull his mind. Must you rouse him, or have you seen enough?"
Feb 23, 2019 5:10 am
Just to be clear, only Mordred is with Horii and Ganis?
Feb 25, 2019 1:31 pm
I was thinking more about waiting until he continued up the stairs or something, but it's a moot point now.

"No, there is no need to disturb him. Thank you, Lieutenant."

Quick look around to see if there is anything about the room or the wounded soldier that sparks Mordred's interest.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20)

(2) = 2

Insight - (1d20+3)

(15) + 3 = 18

Feb 25, 2019 6:31 pm
Mordred sees nothing of particular interest. The room is clean and uncluttered, a place to convalesce.

Horii leads Mordred back down to the lower floor, where they find the rest of the party waiting in the hall.

"May I be of further assistance to your investigation?" Horii asks.
Feb 25, 2019 6:40 pm
I'd like to ask him if he can spare an enlisted to help guide us to where Gethro might be found. Other than that, I don't have further questions. Does the rest of the Mystery Machine want anything before we go?
Last edited February 25, 2019 6:41 pm
Feb 25, 2019 7:09 pm
"We are still at half-strength and nearly every soldier newly arrived here is as green as spring grass. I can spare none to send along on your further endeavors, but I can direct you to the valley where the dragon attacked, just as I did for Master Moag."
Feb 26, 2019 1:23 am
[Once they're out of the fort] "Should we head to Old Hilltown?"
Feb 26, 2019 4:04 pm
"Directions would be appreciated, Lieutenant Horii. Thank you for taking some time to assist us with our questions today, and I hope we weren't too large a burden."
OOC:
OOC - Domarc will pass along the 2 scrolls of fireball he was carrying to Annganne, thinking that she might make better use of them. deathmtn, maybe take a look at the party loot spreadsheet and see if there's anything you can use - we've got a lot of bits of clutter that maybe we can get rid of here? The gems, perhaps?
Feb 26, 2019 4:58 pm
As the others talk, Zangua considers the small Annganne. "You're pretty smart," he says, as though the gnome needed to know that. He fishes an iron rod out of his pack and holds it out to her. "Figure this out. Maybe it's just a metal stick, but it came from a wizard."
OOC:
At least, I kinda remember it came from Pathfinel? Or was it the Badgerways?
Feb 26, 2019 6:10 pm
I can double check later but I'm pretty sure the rod was from Pafthinel.

On the walk back to the gatehouse, Horii fills the party in on some of the efforts he's making to bring Solyhill Fortress back up to full strength -- a practiced speech, to be sure. But there are, he claims, boys arriving every day from the towns and villages around Hazard, eager to take up arms against whatever the visitation of the dragon portends, and he expects to be able to press a full cohort of 432 soldiers into action within four months' time.

"Normally, veteran soldiers from other bases would be sent to replenish us," he explains, "but with the war between Gaad and Gurmar spreading, and rumors that this so-called cult activity is linked to events in Sthombo, the Great Marshal prefers to keep them where they are."

Passing a large canopy where recruits are constructing siege equipment, Horii pulls off a young man of about seventeen, whom he charges with drawing a map showing the route to the valley where the dragon attacked.

The map shows a northerly march of about a day's length, ending at a steep hill marked "Akker's Well." From there, the route continues north veering east for half as much distance again, terminating just beyond the leftmost hill in a cluster labeled "Old Hilltown." Some other geographical details are marked to aid in your navigation.

Ready to go? Any last questions for Horii? Need anything from town?
Feb 26, 2019 7:19 pm
I'm ready to go, but I see a couple of threads we can follow up on, if anyone is of a mind to:
* The two bards who passed through asking questions
* Does the badly injured soldier have any intel?
* Check the tavern and/or holy house in town
Feb 26, 2019 8:02 pm
"Thank you so much, Lieutenant. One last question before we get out of your hair - we know some other investigators have been through. Have they continued on to Old Hilltown as well? I'd love a chance to combine our findings and efforts, and not create moments like today, where we are disturbing people for a second time."

OOC:
I'm kinda interested in the two bards, myself.

Edit - I suddenly feel like Columbo - "oh, just one more thing"
Last edited February 26, 2019 8:18 pm
load next

Thread locked