Chapter Seven: The Stalemate At Loton's Cove

load previous
Feb 17, 2019 1:51 am
Annganne searches her local knowledge to see if she can recall what might be to the northeast of the valley, and which mountain-folk might dwell there. If she does know it, she whispers it to the party.

Rolls

History - (1d20+5)

(16) + 5 = 21

Feb 17, 2019 11:09 am
From what Annganne has heard, she believes the ridge the dragon flew over must have been at the southern edge of the Lesser Dulehans, where some orc clans remain. "Old Hilltown" refers to the ruins of a settlement abandoned back when the orcs were more numerous and bolder. The mountain-folk dwelling in the vicinity would be scattered hermits and homesteaders.
Feb 19, 2019 3:10 am
"No one could have seen a white dragon hatching out of the Lesser Dulehans. Or have there been Developments there that we haven't heard of?"
Feb 19, 2019 10:45 am
Felor shivers - the dragon attack sounded brutal and devastating. And ice breath... that certainly fit with the story of the ice devils they had heard. Perhaps they had helped summon the beast. "Our condolences for the loss of your comrades, Corporal. We will do what we can to bring them justice."
Feb 19, 2019 3:01 pm
Is it normal for a dragon to breathe shards of ice? Mordred always assumed they breathed clouds of cold and frost, much as Infernals were able to breathe clouds of fire.

Rolls

Nature/Arcana (same modifier) - (1d20+1)

(11) + 1 = 12

Feb 19, 2019 3:07 pm
"That sounds terrible, Corporal. My only question is if you saw any creatures - human or otherwise - accompanying or leading the dragon? As my companion says, it seems unlikely to be a natural occurrence, so perhaps it was directed by some other power. Maybe some one posing as another traveler or a herdsman you saw in the valley?"
Feb 19, 2019 4:32 pm
"Did some of the survivors chose to remain behind, then?"
Feb 19, 2019 6:56 pm
The stories Mordred heard told of white dragons breathing ice, cold, and frost, but stories don't always capture the raw elemental power of a thing like a full-grown chromatic dragon.

"We didn't see anything with it...nothing unusual as we approached the valley, not that I recall," Obram says in response to Mordred's question. To Domarc, he explains that some of the survivors were afraid to return to Solyhill and wanted to hide, others wanted to look for a closer settlement for aid and shelter, and a few even insisted that their mandate to press on to their destination was still in effect.

Lieutenant Horii fills in some additional information. One soldier fled on foot alone and arrived back at Solyhill many hours before Corporal Obram's party, and another pair returned the following day. Ultimately, only Obram and the soldier he dragged back on his shield were allowed to remain at Solyhill, due to the extent of their injuries. The others were taken back to Hazard soon after the first investigators arrived.
Feb 20, 2019 4:50 am
We've seen our fair share of danger, but this sounds like it's far beyond even our capabilities. I had hoped the tales of a dragon were nothing but exaggeration, but now....

For the first time since setting out to avenge Edvers, Leth feels uncertain. Is this worth pursuing after all? If their foes possess such powerful means as this, is there any hope to stop them?

He keeps all of this to himself, however, staring ahead at nothing while the thoughts turn over in his mind.
Feb 20, 2019 3:42 pm
Mordred pulls the lieutenant slightly aside. "I would still like to see the other survivor. There may be things we can learn from his condition alone, and our cleric may even be able to assist in his treatment."

Rolls

Persuasion - (1d20+8)

(18) + 8 = 26

Feb 20, 2019 4:25 pm
If any of the healers are around, Felor commends them on their exceptional healing skills and offers his assistance if they have any need while he is in Solyhill.
Feb 20, 2019 5:54 pm
The lieutenant rocks on his heels a bit as he regards Mordred, then nods and quietly ushers him into the hallway, where Felor has already migrated to chat up the two nurses.

"I will take you to see him. Just us two -- let's not overwhelm him." He turns to the head nurse, interrupting Felor's conversation. "We're going to pay a brief visit to Corporal Ganis."

She nods, and when the lieutenant looks away, resumes telling Felor about the poultices they use to prevent infection.

"This way, please," the lieutenant says, gesturing for Mordred to follow him down the hall.

Any other questions for Corporal Obram?
Feb 21, 2019 6:19 pm
Mordred, you going with the lieutenant?
Feb 21, 2019 9:37 pm
"Corporal, I'm glad you survived this attack. It sounds like there was nothing anyone could have done. Could you tell me your understanding of why you were out there?"
Feb 21, 2019 10:14 pm
Obram hesitates as his eye searches for the lieutenant, now standing in the doorway talking to Mordred, before he answers. "Lieutenant Jarjera told us there'd been an attack on Hazard with noble lives lost and hostages taken. Our mission was to lay siege to an old orc fastness where the organizers of the attack were hiding, take them dead or alive, and rescue any hostages we could find. Our mobilization was rushed and we were told to keep the details of the mission secret. I guess it's safe to say it's not a secret anymore." He manages a half-smile; the right side of his face seems partly paralyzed.
Feb 22, 2019 4:12 pm
"Thank you, Corporal. What you were told was true - there was an attack in Hazard, people killed, and hostages taken. It is unfortunate that your mission came to such an end, but know that you were engaged in something righteous."

Domarc fishes into his pouch, and passes over 10 gold pieces.

"On behalf of the Heirophant, to thank you for your service and to help you start your new life."
Feb 22, 2019 5:46 pm
Well played, nubs. This chapter has been pretty poignant, and something you don't often see in your usual murderhobo simulators. Hat tip to PBO, as usual.
Feb 22, 2019 6:11 pm
"I couldn't," Obram says, refusing the gold. He looks over at the two nurses standing by the door. "The Virgins need it more than I do. I'm sure they've used up well more than ten gold pieces worth of medicine and bandages on me."

~meanwhile~

Halfway up the stairs to the next floor, Lieutenant Horii stops and turns to Mordred.

"Come clean with me, devilkin," he says quietly. "Whether you came by that signet honestly or not, you're not here on any official business, and the last thing Solyhill needs is more off-the-books nonsense. No need to disturb Corporal Ganis for the sake of appearances. You came here looking for Moag." A slow smile creeps across his lips. "You were sent here to kill him, weren't you?"
load next

Thread locked