Chapter Seven: The Stalemate At Loton's Cove

load previous
Feb 11, 2019 10:36 pm
When you left the Hierophant's office, he told Lendras (Gethro's assistant, filling his role in his absence) to compensate you "at the usual rate" for the information you provided him. Lendras gave you a small wooden box and told you that it contained a signet that would grant you reentry to the Hierophant's palace. But I don't think you ever actually opened the box!

Annganne hasn't really been asking about the political situation in Hazard, so she might not have much insight there. At any rate, the people she has talked to haven't been volunteering that they are angry at the Hierophant, or Hazard generally speaking, or whatever. The grief and shock is still fresh here. One topic that keeps coming up, however, is the question of where the dragon's lair is located, its age and size, and what ought to be done about it. Nobody here doubts that the soldiers were indeed killed by a large white dragon, and some claim to know or have spoken with mountain folk who witnessed the dragon in flight on the day of the attack.

Gethro's name never came up, but Annganne is aware that investigators from Hazard have been poking around Solyhill.
Feb 12, 2019 1:01 am
BullOctorok says:
and engaged in a lengthy but ultimately fruitless debate with an acolyte of Thoth about the philosophy of mathematic
*Remembers the memory* "Ahh, time well spent!"
BullOctorok says:

At 17 CON, Annganne can match Zangua drink for drink, as long as the cups are scaled down proportionally. Up to deathmtn how much she imbibes tonight!
She takes it to the limit, figuring it's worth visiting one of the many alternate realities every so often.

While doing so, she asks about what weird things were on Vorch and offers that seeing as how the guards at the fort can't be convinced through conversation, she can now try to get them into the fort by exposing them to some adjacent realities.

Or as they call them...illusion.
Feb 12, 2019 1:34 pm
"It might be better to ask what weird things were not on Vorch. There were two flavors of elementals, giant lizards, talking mud, a dancing Tiefling, it was a complicated time."
Feb 12, 2019 1:43 pm
"Some sort of bird-lizards in fact... very unusual. Possibly unique to the island. They seemed to have some intelligence as well - we were lucky to escape I think."
Feb 12, 2019 3:38 pm
Quote:
But I don't think you ever actually opened the box!
I think I was too relieved to get out of there after lying my face off!

"Terrible lizards," Domarc says. "We watched a man drown while standing on dry land. And we have this strange token -" he shows the iridiscent feather in the glass globe -"along with some scrolls and rings. I have some skill in the magical arts, just enough to know I shouldn't mess with things I don't understand."

"As for the guards, before we try to alter their minds, perhaps we should use what I received in the Heirophant's office." And Domarc will find the box and open it to see what's inside.

Cue horrible death scene as something comes out to eat my face
Feb 12, 2019 4:01 pm
It's a Ring Of Total Protection From Fire For You And All Your Friends
Feb 12, 2019 5:40 pm
Domarc opens the box.

Inside he finds a brass signet ring bearing a seal that depicts a rooster skull and four four-pointed stars, and 25 newly-minted gold pieces in a paper sleeve.
Feb 12, 2019 6:02 pm
"This ring might get us through the gate," Domarc says. "I suggest we try it before resorting to any illusions; Gethro might be the only friend we have left."
Feb 12, 2019 6:24 pm
"Hrm! An island of intelligent lizard-chickens! It sounds like the Gods of Bload were so preoccupied with thinking whether or not they could that they didn't stop to think if they should."

[long pause]

"All that said, I'd like to visit sometime.

"I'd be happy to see if I can determine the true nature of your items tomorrow morning. I just need a bit of preparation."

[Squints at signet.]
OOC:
Can AA identify the symbol?

Rolls

History - (1d20+5)

(14) + 5 = 19

Arcana - (1d20+2)

(20) + 2 = 22

Feb 12, 2019 6:47 pm
These are symbols of Aitas, a god of death long venerated in Bload. While not a favorite among the layfolk, his temple and college are well-established in Hazard and are known to attract initiates who desire a theologically rigorous upbringing.
Feb 13, 2019 4:58 pm
Party, are you ready to proceed to the next morning and head directly to the fort?
Feb 13, 2019 7:25 pm
Three's a quorum, but if anyone wants to retcon in any minor questions/activities before heading to the fort, feel free.

The party enjoys an unexpectedly lively night in the Ram and Sedge, filling Annganne in on what they know of the Six-Pronged Crown under the shelter of a magical hut in their room. At one point, she races downstairs and returns with a bottle of grain spirits, pounding shot for (gnome-sized) shot with Zangua while the party regales her with tales from their adventure on the island of Vorch, like the strange rescue and subsequent death of their companion Vhezyen (did he really know Gavrel Gorham personally? They'll never know, now), Zangua's brief sojourn to the Elemental Plane of Water (he's still quite circumspect about what he actually experienced there), and their encounter with the pirates of the Mournful Mother.

The next morning, Annganne acts as though it is a given that she will be traveling alongside the rest of you for the forseeable future, and nobody seems to be of a mind to tell her otherwise.

There's only about half a dozen customers downstairs at the Ram and Sedge, mostly women -- the only males you see are children and one old man. You take a quick breakfast and head out down the road through the town to the base of the hill.

A wide dirt path snakes up the side of the hill until you reach the plateau and stand before the main gate of the Fortress of Solyhill. The wall encircling the compound is made of masonry and thick copperwood posts, with a stone gatehouse situated below a tall wooden watchtower. An archer stands atop the tower and two guards, both in their teen years, stand before the gatehouse with spears that look too long for them. Twenty feet from them, you are commanded to halt, and the archer trains his drawn bow on you.
Feb 13, 2019 7:47 pm
If possible, at some point before they get within sight of the fort, Anneganne would like to cast [i]Disguise Self[i] to make herself look like a short (4'8", a foot taller than herself, human villager).
Feb 13, 2019 7:59 pm
"That's just weird," Zangua says, witnessing the transformation of gnome to villager.

As the group approaches the fort, Zangua complies and stands with his hands empty.
Feb 13, 2019 8:41 pm
Annganne uses her illusion!

"Halt!" one of the guards shouts in a reedy voice. "Who approaches?"
Feb 14, 2019 2:57 am
Leth has seen Domarc and Mordred's conversational prowess often enough to know to leave this to them. He stands a little more towards the rear, casually examining the wall, guardhouse, and their immediate surroundings to see what there is to see.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+6)

(11) + 6 = 17

Feb 14, 2019 7:08 pm
Solyhill is an old fort, built when the orc tribes of the Lesser Dulehans were more aggressive, and that age is showing in the fort's general state of benign neglect. The ditches have been filled in, the stonework is crumbling in parts, and the nine bronze bolts mounted above the main gate have tarnished to a deep green color.
load next

Thread locked