Chapter Seven: The Stalemate At Loton's Cove

load previous
Feb 6, 2019 7:29 pm
Zangua pours himself a cup and drains the ale, before pouring himself a second serving and passing the jug around.
Feb 6, 2019 7:48 pm
"I understand." He gestures to her work. Mordred spent a bit of time in forges and smithys in his youth. "It looks like a good start at least. Got it nice and hot."

"We heard about... Well, about the dragon."
Feb 6, 2019 9:08 pm
"Who hasn't?" she shoots back, a bit sharply. She sighs again and looks down. "Sorry. Two bards came through the other day, looking to write a song about it. The questions they asked...made me angry."
Feb 6, 2019 11:59 pm
Approaches bar. "Gentlefolks. I am Annganne Anne, Fundamental Powers Researcher. I have heard of your curiosity about the Six Points. I share this curiousity, as discouraged as it may be in some of Bload. I have been modeling power structures that may intersect with our reality."

[Flashes a scroll with a diagram so dense as to be almost illegible]
OOC:
interest=intersect; dang autocorrect
Last edited February 7, 2019 12:17 am
Feb 7, 2019 12:29 am
This is no child, Felor's brain helpfully informs him as the gnome introduces herself. He squints at the inscrutable diagram she presents. Some parts remind him of the strange honeycomb symbol on the stela in Pafthinel's lair.
Feb 7, 2019 12:32 am
Since you're split up, a quick recap of where everyone is at:

Domarc, Felor, and Zangua are at a table in the common room of the Ram and Sedge inn, with Annganne.

Leth and Mordred are at the blacksmith's shop down the street.
Feb 7, 2019 2:57 am
AA looks at Zangua and puts away the scroll. "As we say in the Warren, the Start Hole and the End Hole of it all is this: I'm here to help do this."

Casts Minor Illusion to put an image of the Six-Pronged Crown in her hands, then pulls it apart.

Remaining spell slots: (3)/4/3/3/1
Feb 7, 2019 5:10 am
"What kinds of questions were they asking?" Leth pipes up. "Such calamity doesn't seem to be the thing I'd want to sing a song about..."
Feb 7, 2019 5:43 am
"People like to hear tragedy. I understand that. But they asked me if I'd seen any of the survivors...or the remains that came back..." She shifts the weight of the hammer in her hand. "You get the idea. Who are you folk, anyhow? Why did you come to Solyhill?"

~meanwhile~

Domarc, Felor, and Zangua watch in bafflement as the gnome conjures and destroys an image of the Six-Pronged Crown.
Feb 7, 2019 10:37 am
Felor starts at the image of the image of the Six-Pointed Crown. "Mistress gnome, you must understand that we are wary - many who have offered help in this regard have proven to be less than friendly. How is it that you came to know of the... six points?"
Feb 7, 2019 1:29 pm
PBO, can you give us a quick debrief on what we know about what happened here and the fallout from it? My recollection is that Gethro commanded a platoon of soldiers from Solyhill to march on the 6PC and get Martjan back, but they were attacked by a dragon(?) and decimated. Gethro is now wholly discredited and there is talk that the government of Hazard may collapse because of it. Is that the shape of it? I'm particularly interested in remembering:

1) Do we know it was an actual dragon or is that just a rumor we heard?
2) Do we know where Gethro is? Is he here or still in Hazard?
3) Do we know Martjan's status and/or whereabouts?
Feb 7, 2019 6:04 pm
When you visited Hazard the first time, you met Gethro, the Hierophant's right-hand man. After Gorham attacked the mansion and kidnapped Martjan. Gethro met with you again and it was decided that the party would travel to Vorch in search of Pafthinel while the Hierophant sent the soliders at Solyhill to rescue Martjan and confront Gorham. They were able to scry his location because he left some clothing behind during the attack.

When you returned from Vorch, you heard the rumors that the soliders had been killed by a dragon. Back in Hazard, Domarc met with the Hierophant, who confirmed the rumors and informed him that there were survivors, and that Gethro had gone to Solyhill to investigate exactly what happened.

Because of the attack, and the fact that the Hierophant ordered it in secret, the public sentiment in Hazard is very much anti-Hierophant right now, to the point where many are calling for his position to be abolished and for Hazard to go back to the rule of kings. The Hierophant himself seems fairly unconcerned by this.

1. To the best of your knowledge, there really was a dragon attack.
2. According to the Hierophant, Gethro is here in Solyhill investigating the attack.
3. Witnesses saw Gorham fly away from Hazard with Martjan. When he appeared to you in the column of steam, Gorham told you that Martjan is alive and well and still with him.
Feb 7, 2019 6:16 pm
Domarc watches the gnome warily, and his eyes flick around the room to look for any other potential threats and the exit points. Noting the group of sad women in the corner and the oblivious barman, he leans forward and hisses in a penetrating whisper "Whatever this conversation is, whatever your intentions are, I recommend that it not...happen...here. There are ears about and this topic is dangerous."

He drains his ale cup. Closing his eyes for a moment, he reaches for his lute and rises from the table, shrugging his shoulders and flexing his hands.

"Innkeep," he says to the man with the scar. "Might I play for a bit?"
Feb 7, 2019 6:27 pm
The barman seems a bit nonplussed. He looks at Domarc, then over to the women, then back at Domarc. Then he nods and shrugs.
Feb 7, 2019 6:49 pm
Domarc nods, and finds a suitable place in the room to play. He begins in a low key, soft and subdued, the lute becoming accompaniment to the poem he declaims:

They went with songs to the battle, they were young,
Straight of limb, true of eye, steady and aglow.
They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted;
They fell with their faces to the foe.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

They mingle not with their laughing comrades again;
They sit no more at familiar tables of home;
They have no lot in our labour of the day-time;
They sleep beyond Bload's gloam.

But where our desires are and our hopes profound,
Felt as a well-spring that is hidden from sight,
To the innermost heart of their own land they are known
As the stars are known to the Night;

As the stars that shall be bright when we are dust,
Moving in marches upon the heavenly plain;
As the stars that are starry in the time of our darkness,
To the end, to the end, they remain.

He will then continue playing the lute for a few moments, before resuming his seat.

Edit - I can't believe how nervous I get when I make a performance check in this game. Fuck me for playing a bard, I guess. Anyways - source
Last edited February 7, 2019 6:51 pm

Rolls

Performance check - (1d20+7)

(19) + 7 = 26

Feb 7, 2019 6:55 pm
"We are investigators from Hazard. Certain individuals there would like to know the truth about what happened here. I wonder if the bards you saw were our fellows, attempting to be inconspicuous." He turns to Leth and winks slightly. "Yanny and Lorel may have beaten us here after all." He faces the smith again. "One tall and dark, the other short and fair?"
Feb 7, 2019 7:09 pm
Domarc keeps his audience transfixed through the performance. While the barman stands stock still and watches impassively, all four women are quite visibly moved, with one letting out a heartbreaking wail around the end of the second verse.

When Domarc goes back to his seat, the barman resumes his busywork. "That was lovely," one of the women says.

~meanwhile~

"More investigators?" The blacksmith frowns. "Those weren't their names. It was...Warbler. Neol and Palma Warbler. Husband and wife. They played a little. Good technique. I didn't doubt they were what they claimed to be, I just didn't like them much."
Feb 7, 2019 7:23 pm
Domarc offers a tight smile and nod to the women, and pours himself a fresh cup of ale, returning his attention to the gnome.
Feb 7, 2019 7:29 pm
"Well, no, they likely wouldn't have given their real names. There are many interested parties in Hazard, let us say.

Worry not about my needs, good smith. I'm sure I'll find what I need at some point, but here, take the mail and put it to some use. Perhaps you can learn something from it, or just sell it on."
He gives her the bulky armor and walks back towards the inn.
load next

Thread locked