Chapter Seven: The Stalemate At Loton's Cove

load previous
Feb 7, 2019 7:37 pm
Confused, the smith accepts the mail, and says nothing to deter you from leaving.

Leth, I am going to move things along but if you want to ask the smith any other questions, we can retcon them in.

As Leth and Mordred tie their horses up next to the others outside the inn, they can hear the sound of Domarc's lute inside. A good sign, probably. By the time they walk inside he's back at the party's table, talking to a gnome standing nearby, while four women with tear-streaked faces watch from a table across the room. There's nobody else in the inn save the bartender.
Feb 8, 2019 12:17 am
BullOctorok says:
Because of the attack, and the fact that the Hierophant ordered it in secret, the public sentiment in Hazard is very much anti-Hierophant right now, to the point where many are calling for his position to be abolished and for Hazard to go back to the rule of kings. The Hierophant himself seems fairly unconcerned by this.
OOC:
Are they so anti-Hierorphant that they're now pro-6PC? I got the impression this would be a town that's openly anti-6PC because of the dragon slaughtering them.
Feb 8, 2019 12:18 am
Using his foot, Zangua pushes a chair out for the gnome to sit. "You seem pretty smart for a kid," he says with sincerity, likely oblivious to the existence of the wee folk. "Your parents let you go up to strangers and flashing little light shows? Drop the disguise and show us your real self. I had too much of shapeshifters recently."
Feb 8, 2019 12:25 am
nubs says:
Domarc: "Whatever this conversation is, whatever your intentions are, I recommend that it not...happen...here. There are ears about and this topic is dangerous."
[Nods] "I shall strive to use the Secret Language of the Big Folk when speaking of the…Ixsay Ointedpay Owncray."
notinventedhere says:
Felor starts at the image of the image of the Six-Pointed Crown. "Mistress gnome, you must understand that we are wary - many who have offered help in this regard have proven to be less than friendly. How is it that you came to know of the... six points?"
"There is quite a bit of talk about it in the Badgerways. Well before that, though, I had found curious mentions of it back in Engol while researching the Hexagon Plane."
Feb 8, 2019 12:32 am
CancerMan says:
Using his foot, Zangua pushes a chair out for the gnome to sit. "You seem pretty smart for a kid," he says with sincerity, likely oblivious to the existence of the wee folk. "Your parents let you go up to strangers and flashing little light shows? Drop the disguise and show us your real self. I had too much of shapeshifters recently."
"Oddly enough, I thought of meeting you in disguise! But I thought it best for fellow investigators to meet in their primary forms. Should you head to Engol and Jermal, you'll see many folk my size, and still smaller and even those more large than human/orc/ogre types!"
Feb 8, 2019 12:40 am
"Huh," Zangua says, deadpan. As Mordred enters, Zangua glances at the tiefling, then back to Annganne, as though mentally processing the numerous surprises to his own world view. "Well, ain't the strangest thing I seen by far. You old enough to drink?"
Feb 8, 2019 12:54 am
Quote:
Are they so anti-Hierorphant that they're now pro-6PC? I got the impression this would be a town that's openly anti-6PC because of the dragon slaughtering them.
Nobody Annganne has talked to in Solyhill knows anything about the 6PC, or had heard of them prior to the dragon incident. They aren't part of any political faction or movement that your average Bloader can get behind; they still operate as a shadowy, secretive cult.
Feb 8, 2019 12:55 pm
deathmtn says:
"There is quite a bit of talk about it in the Badgerways. Well before that, though, I had found curious mentions of it back in Engol while researching the Hexagon Plane."
"This, er, 'hexing plane'? Is that related to the witch-cult somehow?" asks Felor, a confused look on his face.
Feb 8, 2019 1:57 pm
Mordred pulls up a chair, his interest piqued by talk of hexing and the witch cult. He gently kicks Felor under the table, giving him a look suggesting caution in talking to strangers about the Six-Pointed Crown.
Last edited February 8, 2019 1:58 pm
Feb 8, 2019 4:22 pm
Intrigued despite himself, Domarc leans in and pours a cup of ale for the gnome.

"Apologies if I was abrupt earlier; this town wears its grief like a blanket, and it also weighed on me. I am Domarc. I think we have interest in what you wish to speak of, but I would suggest we find or create a private space for that conversation to allow us to speak openly without fear of unwanted listeners." Or more innocent victims, should this be a trap, he thinks to himself. But a gnome here is a rare sight, and surely Gorham has agents that would attract less notice.

"While we remain out here, I suggest we discuss anything other than some hat, no matter how many decorations it has."
Feb 8, 2019 10:31 pm
Minor Illusion, very small so you can't see it unless you're in our circle:

https://lh6.ggpht.com/koH_iTDsID73-kIbKGm3nAfuGAEDO2hS6gUIozuqaQZrlNeZo2yvIm0xS4pKPZeJ6aQ6=h900

"Indeed, many witches and warlocks derive their powers from the Hexagon Plane. They will reach a sad end. Or six of them, I fear. Very well. I appreciate an adherence to cautious procedures in an investigation. Let us head outside to a Onezay of Onfidencecay."
Feb 9, 2019 5:57 pm
If you like, you can get a room and confer in a Tiny Hut.

What does each of you want Annganne to know about yourselves and the 6PC?
Feb 11, 2019 12:55 pm
[Looks at hut] "Ah, they have a Leomund's in this region, too!"
Feb 11, 2019 1:23 pm
First priority would be how much Annganne knows and why she is looking for us. Anything about the Sphere? Zora & Martjan? Gorham specifically?

Assuming she tells the party everything that I already know about her OOC, Mordred would probably tell her everything, going back to his past with Edvers and Zora and how he got mixed up with the Iron Sphere Gang.
Feb 11, 2019 2:03 pm
Felor also thinks that a gnome speaking in a strange code about hex-a-things is too bizarre to be a ploy by Gorham - who has just openly approached them in the past - and is happy to let Mordred fill her in on the story so far.
Feb 11, 2019 3:38 pm
Domarc will largely listen after casting the Tiny Hut
Feb 11, 2019 3:40 pm
Zangua tries to see if Annganne is worth her weight in a drinking contest.
Feb 11, 2019 6:28 pm
Assume any sensitive conversation takes place in the Tiny Hut, but don't worry too much about the chronology of topics here.

Facts Annganne knows: Not many. She knows of the Six-Pronged Crown's rumored involvement in the death of King Everil, the burning of a powerful family's estate in Hazard, and the dragon attack. She has not spoken directly with anyone in the 6PC (as far as she knows), and nobody she has talked to knows much more about them than she does.

Things Annganne would probably be especially interested in: The story of the First Servant and the ice devils of Seglogron (told to you by Garho the Demon Hunter midway through chapter 6), the "Pharate" (the name or title of the thing the 6PC secretly worships, according to the Hierophant), the weird things you found on Vorch, and anything to do with Gavrel Gorham (whose name/identity she would not have known prior to this meeting). She will note the relative paucity of numerologically significant clues beyond the occasional recurrences of the number six.

Things the party might be interested in: Annganne has been in Solyhill for a couple days, has met some of the residents, and may have some useful background knowledge about the town if the party questions her. She was not, however, able to talk the guards into letting her inside the fort itself. She has done some investigation in Hazard, where she made some sketches and rubbings of 6PC graffiti she found (just the crown symbol), picked up a book called On The Origins and Suppression of The Worm-Cult in Hazard (she hasn't read it yet), and engaged in a lengthy but ultimately fruitless debate with an acolyte of Thoth about the philosophy of mathematics. More than once, a street peddler offered her the so-called curative ice, but she refused it because ice sounded unappetizing in the cold weather.

At 17 CON, Annganne can match Zangua drink for drink, as long as the cups are scaled down proportionally. Up to deathmtn how much she imbibes tonight!

Feel free to keep the discussion/questions with Annganne going, but also you guys should decide what your game plan is going to be in the morning.
Feb 11, 2019 6:37 pm
Assume Mordred brings Annganne up to speed on anything that might interest her.

Next step should be attempting to track down Gethro. He's probably at the fort, and we can probably get in with the signet that the Heirophant gave Domarc back in Hazard.
Feb 11, 2019 9:57 pm
Quote:
we can probably get in with the signet that the Heirophant gave Domarc back in Hazard.
Wait, I have what now? Completely forgot about that!

Domarc is curious about what is going on in Solyhill. Are people upset at the Heirophant and/or Gethro?
load next

Thread locked