Chapter 1: Departure (Day 1)

load previous
Mar 21, 2019 1:43 am
[ +- ] Daedulus conversation
"I hope to find a place for myself beyond what my father would have for me, and help as many as I can." he pauses, and for a moment there is a crack in the facade. "I'm hoping my Mum is alive and well." He thanks Daedulus for his help and for his tutelage over the years, and heads off to Flint's Smithy.

Following Daebulus' advice, Yelnar makes sure he has one weapon for each of his companions according to the Halflings recommendations, figuring it won't be a bad thing if there is a backup weapon to their own. For himself, he grabs a Bardiche for a Polearm, a Greatsword, a Longsword, and a Heavy Wooden Shield. For Ember, he decides on a Light Crossbow and a Light Mace. He asks if Flint could have them delivered to the appropriate place tomorrow.

After he has carried out the tasks at hand, he slowly makes his way towards his families' residence in the city. He slowly ascends the stairs to his Fathers study, knocks on the door, and waits to be asked to enter before going in.

"Hello Father, I assume you will have heard I am to be a part of expedition?"
He pauses, waiting for an acknowledgement before seeing his fathers usual expression of impatience. "It appears we will be heading straight for the area near the Summer Estates, do you have any messages you would like me to pass on to Mother if she is still there?"
[ +- ] OOC
Last edited March 21, 2019 10:10 am
Mar 21, 2019 1:57 am
78RPMLife says:
Athisa greets that gaze with a knowing half-smile. "Caution is generally warranted, dear. Just remember you aren't alone," she says. Whether that means Verrian specifically or the group in general is left to the imagination.

"Can I answer any more of your questions?"
"I really have just one remaining question," Verrian says. She leans in closer and lowers her voice. "Was sending me on this quest his idea?"
Mar 21, 2019 4:22 am
Athisa's lips twist in a wry smile. "I will tell you that there was controversy when Scholar Silverhelm put forth your name. In my college, our choices were made by consensus and discussion." She pauses for effect. "A lot of discussion."

"How other colleges determined theirs, I can't say. But I think you and I both know that your college has plans within plans within plans. You could certainly ask him, or Karok, or any of your colleagues. But which answer you choose to trust..."

She trails off and shrugs. "I sound like I'm of the Jade myself. I've been among the Masters too long. Been in this city too long. We're all fraying around the edges."
Mar 21, 2019 4:57 am
Verrian nods, feeling strangely old herself. "This confinement has been like fertilizer for petty conflicts. And for not-so-petty ones. It certainly would be a great thing if we find that it's possible for people to leave..." Verrian sighs. "But that's getting too far ahead of things."

She reaches out to grasp Athisa's arm lightly. "Thank you for your candor. You've always been very kind, and - more importantly to me - honest with me. I hope that we'll meet again someday."
Mar 21, 2019 5:21 am
"As do I, child. As do I," she says, inclining her head in acknowledgement of Verrian's gratitude. "Now, this old woman has some plants to attend to. I will see you come morning."

There is a little less spring in her step as she walks from the room. The weight of what transpired in the room seems to have settled uncomfortably on her shoulders.
OOC:
Next story scene will come some time tomorrow. Side RP can certainly continue while the main thread meanders on.
Mar 21, 2019 1:31 pm
AugustAsh says:
Ephwrath wanders up to the South Gate shortly after First Bell. Nose down into a large open book as usual. However, he now has a leather travel belt with many small pouches on it, and from a strap hangs an ornate warhammer of exceptional craftsmanship. He also carries a satchel on his back with an equally well crafted buckler and crossbow strapped to it. To those who are more observant, it would be obvious that he's wearing some kind of armor underneath his robes as well.

As he approaches the gate, he notices the disheveled looking man from Athisa's gathering standing nearby with a rat on his shoulder. He glances at the man, nods, and then sits on a nearby bench.

As he waits, he casually reaches into his large beard and produces a small oilcloth parcel containing a few pieces of bread and cheese. He sits quietly eating, head slightly cocked, studying the magical wards that obscure the world beyond.
Krav nods back at Ephwrath when he approaches. After a moment, Shiloh pops his head out of Krav's cloak and sniffs at the air. He surveys the area briefly and then scuttles down Krav and over to Ephwrath. Propping himself up on Ephrwrath's knee, he sits up on his hindquarters and sniffs at the air again.

"It seems Shiloh has taken a liking to you...Ephwrath was it? It's unusual for him to show himself in such a wide open area. He must sense something in you."

Krav has learned to trust Shiloh over the years. They were both raised in survival mode, but Shiloh's life was filled with even more danger than Krav's. He did not put himself at risk unnecessarily, except maybe when it came to food. Their empathic link gives him the feeling that Shiloh trusts this man, and so Krav is assured he can do the same.

"Tell me, Ephwrath. What is it you are reading? As a child I did not have the luxury of an education, before I came to Veridium that is, but I have always wished I had."

Krav moves closer and tries to look over his shoulder.
Mar 21, 2019 2:19 pm
Ephwrath looks down and smiles at Shiloh. "Why, hello there! Aren’t you a friendly one." He carefully breaks off a small piece of cheese and offers it to the rat. "Shiloh, is it? Well now, did you pick that name, or did your big friend here give that to you?" He watches the rat eat as if waiting for the animal to speak. The Dwarf gives Shiloh a large piece of bread and turns his head to Krav grinning. "He’s hungry!"

Gesturing to the book, "Oh, this? This is a compendium of various plants and herbs that are... I suppose I should say were, native to the surrounding area. We were cut off from so much after the war, and I hope to find living specimens and seeds to send back to the College for study and cultivation. I’m just taking note of some of the more interesting species that may be useful for medicinal purposes." He scoots over on the bench to make room for Krav, being careful not to disturb Shiloh. "Be my guest."
Last edited March 21, 2019 2:20 pm
Mar 21, 2019 3:40 pm
"Yes, he's always hungry," Krav says with a grin.

Sidling up alongside Ephwrath he glances at the book, "The same thought crossed my mind last night! Who knows what all we will encounter out there, but the potential for a huge variety of life intrigues me the most. I also dabble in herbalism and alchemy, and even apprentice at the Perturbed Herb. I would love to compare notes as we go."

This is entirely unexpected for Krav. He did not expect to have much in common with anyone in this group, but the jovial friendliness of Ember and now the common interests of Ephwrath have given him a new outlook on this adventure they are about to undertake. Maybe he's not so alone after all.

"Oh and I gave Shiloh his name in a sense, but he also gave it to himself. His actual name would be unintelligible to those who speak in the common tongue, but when I proposed a few of our names to him, Shiloh is what he decided upon."
Mar 21, 2019 5:53 pm
Arriving at the south gate Elora is somewhat surprised she isn't the first one waiting. She stands close by, just enough to quietly eavesdrop without feeling like shes intruding on their conversation.

Dropping her backpack she double-checks her supplies, ensuring nothing was left-behind in her room. Satisfied she pulls out her journal, wanting to express her initial thoughts now that the big day is upon them. In truth she doesn't know how to feel, the bubbling mixture of emotions resulting in the complete inability to form a cohesive thought, even on paper. In the end she decides to write later, perhaps after some traveling she can form a proper consensus on the matter. Afterwards it's replaced with her spellbook, some last minute studying wouldn't hurt, after all who knows what they will face.
Mar 21, 2019 11:35 pm
Ephwrath offers Shiloh the last crumb of cheese, and gently strokes the top of his head with a thick stubby finger. "I'd like that very much. Very much indeed!", he says, looking up at Krav. "I hope to also collect insects and various mineral samples to study the affects of the outside world on them. I look forward to discussing our observations and comparing notes."

Thread locked