Chapter 1: Departure (Day 1)

load previous
Mar 20, 2019 5:31 am
"That is great. Then you should know all that we need. I'm thinking we need tents, bedrolls, food, water, torches, climbing gear, weapons, something to make fire, equipment for hunting or fishing, extra clothes..."
She keeps going, counting each item on her fingers, slowly getting quieter before she stops eventually, again with a defeated look on her face. "Where do we even start with such a big trip ahead of us? I wish I had taken a class on this."
Mar 20, 2019 5:57 am
bowlofspinach says:
"That is great. Then you should know all that we need. I'm thinking we need tents, bedrolls, food, water, torches, climbing gear, weapons, something to make fire, equipment for hunting or fishing, extra clothes..."
She keeps going, counting each item on her fingers, slowly getting quieter before she stops eventually, again with a defeated look on her face. "Where do we even start with such a big trip ahead of us? I wish I had taken a class on this."
Verrian laughs. "We'll have a crash course on it as we buy our supplies. That list you just rattled off is a good start, though. Write it down. Meet me this afternoon at the Jocular Marmoset and we'll take Ember along on our shopping trip, if she hasn't made arrangements with someone else. And now, if you'll excuse me, I need to have a word with Athisa."

Verrian, smiling, leaves Viani and approaches the scholar, who has moved to a more private spot for their conversation. "Athisa, what is going on?" she asks urgently in a low voice, her smile now gone. "Most of these people are children. And they think this is a grand adventure, when you and I both know it's a one-way mission. I don't mind being drafted for a suicide run - I'm dying to get outside these walls - but I certainly object to children with stars in their eyes being misled and sacrificed."
Mar 20, 2019 6:13 am
Viani pulls out some parchment and a feather from her bag and starts writing down the list she has thought up. She is glad to have someone who can help her with the shopping.
Mar 20, 2019 6:28 am
OOC:
Yep, apologies for being a bit later than I’d like, didn’t really get a chance to post at work today.
When it comes his time to introduce himself, Yelnar simply says quietly "I am Yelnar, from Granite College. It’s my job to protect and help people."

He hears Viani ask about where to start and says "I used to live on the shores of the lake in Alcave, and I figured since they talked about me having contacts, they want us to start there." Ever an open book, Yelnar seems nervous, anticipatory and fearful all at the same time.

Ember notices Yelnar is a bit distracted when she jumps on his back, but reflexively manages to catch her anyways. He says to her "I think I might want a stronger drink than normal when we get back, I’m going to have to ask Father what message he wants to send to Mother if she’s still there...."
Mar 20, 2019 11:38 am
Ember nods.

Well, Tace gave me the day off. I should tell him what's what, but I've got your back the whole way!

She chuckles at her own pun.
Mar 20, 2019 1:59 pm
OOC:
Should we open a new thread for when we're meeting at the Jocular Marmoset? For everyone who'll want to join the shopping spree
Mar 20, 2019 4:30 pm
bowlofspinach says:
OOC:
Should we open a new thread for when we're meeting at the Jocular Marmoset? For everyone who'll want to join the shopping spree
OOC:
If you do, preface the thread name with 'Chapter 1 Side RP' just for my organizational needs, please. You're very welcome to make a new thread!
Mar 20, 2019 4:37 pm
OOC:
Waiting for whether the others want to actually rp that or just skip over it
Mar 20, 2019 4:38 pm
OOC:
I'll RP with y'all. Not sure when Ember and Yelnar are getting back, but she's got to tell her boss eventually anyway.
Mar 20, 2019 4:40 pm
OOC:
At first, I was all like, sure, let's do it. But then I thought about how these things tend to balloon, and maybe we don't want to end up with a 100-post thread about shopping. However, it would give us all a chance to RP and get a feel for how our characters relate to one another, so that could be beneficial to getting the campaign off to a less awkward interpersonal start.

TL;DR: Count me as a firm maybe. :D
Mar 20, 2019 4:42 pm
OOC:
Even if we skip the shopping, but meet up for dinner. I like getting a little bit of a feel for each other before stuff hits the fan.
Mar 20, 2019 4:48 pm
OOC:
I already skipped it! Krav doesn't have many friends yet, so this traveling with this group is going to be a whole new experience for him haha.
Mar 20, 2019 4:53 pm
lavtodd says:
OOC:
Even if we skip the shopping, but meet up for dinner. I like getting a little bit of a feel for each other before stuff hits the fan.
OOC:
That would be a compromise. We can just meet up at Ember's and then skip over the shopping afterwards
Last edited March 20, 2019 4:53 pm
Mar 20, 2019 4:57 pm
Moonbeam says:
Verrian, smiling, leaves Viani and approaches the scholar, who has moved to a more private spot for their conversation. "Athisa, what is going on?" she asks urgently in a low voice, her smile now gone. "Most of these people are children. And they think this is a grand adventure, when you and I both know it's a one-way mission. I don't mind being drafted for a suicide run - I'm dying to get outside these walls - but I certainly object to children with stars in their eyes being misled and sacrificed."
Athisa takes a long, neutral look at the Naucan woman, as if cataloging an entire litany of responses, weighing them, keeping some, discarding others. Her lips purse, first in thought, but in time, it becomes clear she is suppressing a smile. Finally, a response finally rises to the top of her internal assessment.

"You make me feel old, Verrian," she says, not unkindly. "I look at you, and I see a child as well." She raises a hand to forestall any immediate objections to that characterization. "In my head, I know you're not. I've seen your work. I know some of what you've gone through. And those are valuable lessons that you will be able to draw on as you journey forth."

She becomes more serious then, and with a gentle touch to Verrian's shoulder, draws her a bit farther away from the group. "But you don't know everything. It's a hard and painful lesson to learn. By the Stones, I've had to learn it more times than I care to admit. Everyone here has the ability to succeed -- to thrive -- in this venture, or we wouldn't have chosen them." She pauses, looks directly into Verrian's eyes, and says firmly, "This is not a sacrificial altar we are sending you to. We are not all monsters, Verrian. I hope you realize that."
Mar 20, 2019 5:30 pm
After finishing her list, Viani folds it carefully and puts it back into her bag. She walks up to Verrian and Athisa, stops, stands awkwardly to the side and waits for an opening in the conversation while trying not to look like she's listening in. When she spots an opportunity, she quickly steps in and says: "Thank you again for this opportunity, professor! I will do my best to make this mission a full success." Then turning to Verrian, she adds: "I have to go now. Big news to give to my parents. I will meet you later, okay?"
Last edited March 20, 2019 5:30 pm
Mar 20, 2019 7:24 pm
Yelnar wanders into the Granite College Training Yard to speak to the Master of Arms, Daebulus. He gives him the names of the people going on the expedition, and asks "I assume they have been in here for at least some weapons training. Could you let me know what their preferred weapons were? I’d like to make sure everyone has at least one they’re somewhat capable with. Do you have any good training exercises I could use in the field to help them train? Also, who would be the best weapon smith to go and see?"
Mar 20, 2019 9:41 pm

The halfling Daebulus is perhaps an unusual individual to be the Master of Arms for a prestigious institution like the School of Seven Stones, but if you're looking for someone that knows his weapons, their strengths, their weaknesses, their unusual uses in a pinch, and a couple dozen other surprising bits of trivia, he's your man.

As Yelnar approaches, he turns with the usual sardonic smile and penetrating blue-eyed gaze he is known for. "Heard you were on one of the exploration teams," he says in greeting. "Glad to see you 'fore you go, lad." Thinking over the names Yelnar provides, Daebulus rubs a hand over his close-cropped beard. "Sure. Know some of these folk, worked with some of them. Wait... Ephwrath? The dwarf? Never seen him use a weapon. Can't help you there. The others, well..."

He describes in clear detail the strengths and weaknesses of each of the team members affiliated with the school when it comes to feats of arms. Where their holes are, where they're best used tactically. "Don't know what they'll tell you their preferred weapons are, but here are a few suggestions if they're lacking inspiration," he says, listing off a few weapons of interest. "Go talk to Flint, on Cobbler's Street, down near the Grainmarket Square. He does fine work, and he's a friend of mine, and I'm sure he'll have what you need."

He takes a step back, looking up the much taller Yelnar. "And you, lad? What do you need for the journey?" From the knowing look he gives, it's clear he doesn't just mean weapons and training exercises.
[ +- ] Daebulus, Master of Arms
Mar 20, 2019 10:11 pm
78RPMLife says:
Athisa takes a long, neutral look at the Naucan woman, as if cataloging an entire litany of responses, weighing them, keeping some, discarding others. Her lips purse, first in thought, but in time, it becomes clear she is suppressing a smile. Finally, a response finally rises to the top of her internal assessment.

"You make me feel old, Verrian," she says, not unkindly. "I look at you, and I see a child as well." She raises a hand to forestall any immediate objections to that characterization. "In my head, I know you're not. I've seen your work. I know some of what you've gone through. And those are valuable lessons that you will be able to draw on as you journey forth."

She becomes more serious then, and with a gentle touch to Verrian's shoulder, draws her a bit farther away from the group. "But you don't know everything. It's a hard and painful lesson to learn. By the Stones, I've had to learn it more times than I care to admit. Everyone here has the ability to succeed -- to thrive -- in this venture, or we wouldn't have chosen them." She pauses, looks directly into Verrian's eyes, and says firmly, "This is not a sacrificial altar we are sending you to. We are not all monsters, Verrian. I hope you realize that."
Verrian holds Athisa's gaze. She doesn't doubt the scholar's sincerity or her integrity. She knows that she believes what she is saying, that this is not a guaranteed suicide endeavor. Verrian just doesn't know whether she believes that.

"I know that you're not all monsters," she tells Athisa, smiling slightly. "I'm just hoping that the monsters outside these walls are the only ones this party needs to fear."
Mar 20, 2019 10:23 pm
Athisa greets that gaze with a knowing half-smile. "Caution is generally warranted, dear. Just remember you aren't alone," she says. Whether that means Verrian specifically or the group in general is left to the imagination.

"Can I answer any more of your questions?"
Mar 20, 2019 10:36 pm
Ephwrath wanders up to the South Gate shortly after First Bell. Nose down into a large open book as usual. However, he now has a leather travel belt with many small pouches on it, and from a strap hangs an ornate warhammer of exceptional craftsmanship. He also carries a satchel on his back with an equally well crafted buckler and crossbow strapped to it. To those who are more observant, it would be obvious that he's wearing some kind of armor underneath his robes as well.

As he approaches the gate, he notices the disheveled looking man from Athisa's gathering standing nearby with a rat on his shoulder. He glances at the man, nods, and then sits on a nearby bench.

As he waits, he casually reaches into his large beard and produces a small oilcloth parcel containing a few pieces of bread and cheese. He sits quietly eating, head slightly cocked, studying the magical wards that obscure the world beyond.
load next

Thread locked