Chapter 1: Departure (Day 2)

load previous
Mar 26, 2019 5:46 am
"Viani, do you want to talk ab-" Before Elora can even try to console Viani she spots the approaching crew.

"Master Kramat." Elora removes her hat and bows, not about to forget her manners even though he never had any. Standing back up she realizes what Grank declared, and decides to ask Kramat directly. "Will you be accompanying us then?"
Mar 26, 2019 5:54 am
Yelnar rolls his eyes at Kramats usual taunts. "Good to see you Kramat, it's a lot easier to defend ones comrades when you're around to talk our enemies to death."

Yelnar is actually a little bit relieved there will someone more martial coming along so that he'll have someone to train with.
Last edited March 26, 2019 6:53 am
Mar 26, 2019 5:57 am
Taken aback by Elora's approach and sudden leaving, Viani pauses for a moment before she snaps out of it. She turns towards the new arrivals, particularly Grank, whom she would have seen around Opal college multiple times but probably not really talked to.
"Hello", she says awkwardly. "I didn't realize more people were going to join our group. I thought it was just going to be the ones who met yesterday. But I'm happy about everyone who joins our expedition. Safety in numbers."
Mar 26, 2019 11:53 am
Ember bristles at Kramat's greeting, though the other two seem all right. But sheesh. Why does nobody in a magically pulsing city actually like magic? It boggles her mind.

She puts on her most demure, helpless smile and timidly steps up to Kramat. She barely makes eye contact and traces the dirt with her shoe. Compared to him, she looks like a gnome herself.

Oh, sir. I'm so glad someone as big and strong as yourself is coming along with us. I was so worried about going outside the wards, small and squishy as I am. Please, sir, if you could, sir, could you please show a tiny waifish sorcerer like me the right, uh, feet place, for using this beating stick?

She knows it's called a stance, and a mace. She also knows that she can internalize anything he does show her. But she intends to drive him bonkers with her "complete ignorance" in the meantime. It'll be fun.
Mar 26, 2019 1:58 pm
Kramat listens to the litany of responses, before bursting into laughter. "Us? Go with you? Hardly!"

He claps Yelnar on the shoulder with one meaty hand, hard enough to knock a smaller person sideways. "Though you could certainly use our help. No, we're the primary team." He pauses dramatically. "Oh, surely you didn't think your little play group here was the only team the School was sending out?"

The warrior crosses his arms over his chest. "I guess they're sending you out to do mop-up duty while the adults do the actual work. It's okay. I'm sure there'll be plenty of opportunities for you all to do... well, something meaningful," he muses, rubbing at his chin in a show of contemplation.

Nearby, the dwarven woman releases an audible sigh. "Leave them be, Kramat," she says flatly. Starting to busy herself with checking the contents of her backpack, she adds under her breath, "Hard enough to leave without someone poking at you like that."
Mar 26, 2019 2:12 pm
Viani's expression turns angry. She doesn't like the way this guy is dismissing them like children. She walks up to Kramat and stares right into his eyes, trying to look tough.
"I'll have you know, we were all hand selected because we are particularly well suited to this journey. I will even bet you a hundred gold pieces that we will do something more important than your group!"
The second the words leave her mouth, Viani regrets them, but by then there's nothing she can do about them except try to look like she means them. Maybe the asshole will just stand down and she will look tough in front of her traveling group...
OOC:
Let me know if you want me to make any roll like Intimidate or Bluff
Mar 26, 2019 2:17 pm
OOC:
Go ahead and roll either one, your choice.
Mar 26, 2019 2:21 pm
OOC:
At least I don't have a negative in Intimidate.
Let's hope this Inquisitor class bonus pays off

Rolls

Intimidate - Look tough and not at all like I have no idea what I'm doing - (1D20+0)

(3) = 3

Mar 26, 2019 2:31 pm
OOC:
I'm adding bluff, since apparently neither of us are putting up with this dude.

Rolls

Bluff that Ember's impressed +8 - (1d20+8)

(2) + 8 = 10

Mar 26, 2019 3:45 pm
Krav remains seated and says dismissively, "He's just trying to provoke you, don't take the bait." Shiloh returns and tucks himself into his spot just within the collar of Krav's hide armor.
Mar 26, 2019 4:49 pm
Kramat steps back from the sudden onslaught from this young elven woman telling him off. "Well, the children have an attitude... I suppose even puppies have sharp teeth," he says grudgingly. There's confusion and surprise written on his face, clearly not expecting to get such a talking-to. But even that passes after a few moments, and the lazy, confident grin comes back. "A hundred gold pieces, eh? You're on, girl. If you survive to our next meeting, whenever that might be, we'll settle up then. Better start saving your coppers."
Mar 26, 2019 5:07 pm
"Yeah? Well, you better start saving your... your coppers, too, because I'm going to win!"
At least halfway satisfied with the outcome of this interaction (This could have gone a lot worse), Viani retreats again, moving back to Ember. Her hand is shaking from the excitement of this interaction as she sits down next to the girl. "Let's hope we actually do find something impressive because there's no way I'll be able to get 100 gold pieces together to pay off my debt if I lose"
Mar 26, 2019 5:21 pm
Ember smiles, impressed.

Hey, I'm just glad this means he isn't coming with us!
Mar 26, 2019 8:47 pm
Ephwrath blinks repeatedly at Grank. "You don't want to go?.?.? I mean, I will miss my studies in the tower, but the chance to leave the city again after all these years and investigate how things have changed... it's... it's... exhilarating!" His eyebrows dancing wildly.

"Imagine it Grank, you could be the first one to document the effects of the war on the land. You could discover a newly formed mineral... you could even name it after yourself! Grankonite. Or... No! No! Grankium! Yes Grankium has a nice ring to it!" Ephwrath beams at the gnome desperately looking for some hint of shared enthusiasm.
Mar 26, 2019 8:59 pm
Grank scowls at Ephwrath some more, but the intensity is starting to fade. "Grankium, eh?" he scratches at the tip of his nose while he contemplates that. "Perhaps in the Ankite Spur... yes, central Ardraven. The towers, that spell and gravity... modification of mass could deplete..."

He pulls a charcoal pencil from one of his purple pockets and starts scribbling madly in his leatherbound book. "Do you by chance..." he starts to ask Ephwrath, but trails off with a wordless grunt as another thought flashes into his head. He sits down, cross-legged, in the middle of the square and begins sketching a complicated figure of interlocked circles and arrows and squiggly lines.
Mar 26, 2019 9:05 pm
Viani jumps up again at the mention of the floating towers. "Hey! Ardraven is ours. You find somewhere else to explore!"
It had been her dream to visit Ardraven since even before the war. She hadn't discussed her wish to go there with anyone from the group so she hoped they did not mind her outburst too much.
I really need to learn to control myself, she chastises herself in her thoughts. That's the second outburst in a row. The others will think I'm crazy or something
Mar 26, 2019 9:47 pm
Ember raises her eyebrows at Viani.

Oh, thank the stars I'm not the only crazy one here!
Mar 27, 2019 5:33 am
Everyone here is crazy... Elora realizes with concern, but despite all this she decides to carry on, donning her hat resolutely. "There is a whole new world. So to speak."
Mar 27, 2019 3:48 pm
Verrian arrives at the South Gate and surveys the people gathered there. She recognizes everyone from the meeting the previous day, along with a few extras. She notes that there appears to be some sort of minor confrontation brewing. She sidles up to Ember and asks quietly, "What's going on?"
Mar 27, 2019 3:49 pm
She smirks.

The big guy's a cocky one. I tried to screw with him. Elora called him out. Basically, he's got his tail between his legs.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.