Chapter 1: Departure (Day 2)

load previous
Apr 9, 2019 5:09 am
OOC:
Doh! Sorry. I misread my app.
Ephwrath nudges Krav and gives him a questioning look...
Apr 9, 2019 5:10 am
Straining to hear what the frog people are saying, Verrian says thoughtfully, "Suppose a few of us got close enough to hear their language. If it's possible to communicate with them, the chance of things turning ugly is reduced. I have a lot of experience in negotiation. Maybe we really could get them to sell us a boat, or at least give us transport off the island."
Last edited April 9, 2019 5:45 am
Apr 9, 2019 5:50 am
Viani looks at the frog people with a worried expression: "The last things we encountered were trying to kill us, maybe we should stay out of sight. There has to be another way to get off the island..."
Apr 9, 2019 5:59 am
Verrian smiles at Viani. "I promise you, not everyone we meet on this adventure will be murderous monsters. These people are just fishing to provide for their families. They might be a lot more like us than you think."
Apr 9, 2019 6:14 am
Viani frowns but then says: "Fine, but if you go down there to talk to them, I'm coming with you to protect you!"
Apr 9, 2019 6:36 am
"All right, but we should not look as though we're walking into battle. Try to look friendly and unintimidating. And anyway, we're just trying to get close enough to hear their speech and see if it's recognizable."
OOC:
Is there any cover to be had on the approach to where these creatures are on the docks? Or will we have to approach exposed? If there's cover, I'd like us to use it to stay as much out of sight as possible while getting close enough to discern if we know the language. If not, then I'd like us to move closer in a non-confrontational manner, with the rest of the party staying far enough behind to not make it look like a marauding army approaching, but still close by enough to weigh in if violence starts.
Last edited April 9, 2019 7:10 am
Apr 9, 2019 6:40 am
"I always look friendly and unintimidating. That's why I almost failed a couple of my inquisitor classes at University." Viani gives you a smile. "I'll just follow your lead."
Apr 9, 2019 7:09 am
Knowing that he won’t be much help when it comes to diplomacy, Yelnar decides to switch his loadout once again, going back to the Bardiche on the sled, so that if intervention is required, he can cover as much area as possible. He will hang back and ask the ones going forth for a signal if he is needed.
Apr 9, 2019 7:11 am
Verrian looks around at her other companions, settling on Elora. "Elora, would you like to come along? Three seems like a good number for this endeavor."
Apr 9, 2019 11:37 am
Ember watches the women go, glad that nobody noticed her outburst. The frog people look cute, in a weird way. Granted, most things look cute compared to those things they just fought.

It's been what. An hour? Tops?

She hops on the cart by Yelnar.

Having fun yet, big guy?
Apr 9, 2019 2:18 pm
Yelnar furtively looks around to see if anyone else would be able to hear.

"I am anxious to get to our estate and check on Mother, I hope our comrades are able to negotiate passage swiftly" he mumble whispers.

He fidgets and fiddles, unable to affect the outcome more than just wishing them well.

Rolls

Wishing them well (really hard) - (1d20+42)

(16) + 42 = 58

Apr 9, 2019 2:38 pm
AugustAsh says:
Ephwrath nudges Krav and gives him a questioning look...
"Oh yes! Sorry, I was distracted. Let me see, humanoid frogs...if nothing else I know a spell that will allow me to speak with animals. I'm not sure it would apply here, but possibly."

Edit: 9! ugh
Last edited April 9, 2019 2:41 pm

Rolls

Knowledge: Nature - (1d20+3)

(6) + 3 = 9

Apr 9, 2019 3:43 pm
78RPMLife sent a note to kona
OOC:
There is plenty of cover on the way in, lots of abandoned cargo crates and such things you might find around a harbor that hasn't seen much use in years. Anyone who is going with Verrian and wants to follow the 'keep to cover' plan, please roll a stealth check.
Apr 9, 2019 3:46 pm
OOC:
Yelnar successfully wishes the advance party well, and also gains insight into life, the universe, and everything. It has no apparent effect on anything, however. :D
Apr 9, 2019 3:52 pm
Don't worry. I'm sure these things are friendly. Probably.
Does anybody speak fish? What are they planning on doing?
Apr 9, 2019 3:56 pm
OOC:
Viani be sneakin'

Rolls

Stealth - (1D20+6)

(9) + 6 = 15

Apr 9, 2019 5:41 pm
OOC:
Stealth check...

Rolls

Can you see me? - (1d20+9)

(8) + 9 = 17

Apr 9, 2019 6:07 pm
Ephwrath, knowing stealth is not his strong-suit, holds position and begins inspecting a fascinating lichen formation on a nearby rock.
Apr 9, 2019 6:44 pm
Moonbeam says:
Verrian looks around at her other companions, settling on Elora. "Elora, would you like to come along? Three seems like a good number for this endeavor."
"Oh, sure." Elora says excitedly in her quiet voice, adjusting her hat to make herself more presentable.
Apr 9, 2019 6:46 pm
OOC:
I'm just going to assume Elora makes her stealth roll since the other two did. It likely wouldn't make a huge difference either way.
As you move closer to the docks, you're able to better overhear the creatures. They speak a crude form of the common tongue, though it's not always easy to immediately recognize the words thanks to their froggy inflections -- croaks and hiccups permeate their speech -- and peculiar dialect. With a bit of thought and parsing, you're able to follow the thread of the conversation.

"It is not much of a catch," says one, with browner skin and dark spots, looking down at the net.

The one that brought the net on board, who has smooth green skin, bobs its head up and down. "You are wise. It is getting worse,"

A couple of the other frog-people standing nearby rub their hands together. If they were humans, it would signal worry. Brown Frog lets out a long, low croak. "It will be angry, without the tribute. What will we do?"

The other frog-people on the boat bow their heads quietly, and Green Frog spreads its forelimbs wide, shaking its head slowly back and forth. "We seek new fishing grounds? There may yet be one that will provide?" it says.

Brown Frog turns to look out over the lake, peaceful in the day's calm weather. "We have thought that for moons and moons," it replies, adding a croaking noise that must be Green Frog's name. "We have been blessed with luck for too long... when does it run out?"

A couple of the frog-people from the other boat leap across to the group with the fish. The leap and the landing both are effortless and graceful. They all commune together, too quietly to overhear from where you are.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.