Chapter 1: Departure (Day 2)

load previous
Apr 11, 2019 11:55 am
But if you want to know what their skin feels like.....

Ember smiles, careful not to show any teeth. Slouching low like the frog-men, she's about their size. She stays seated, and holds her open palms up. She is acutely aware of the scars on her left arm, and realizes the tiny white slices on her palms might be seen. Maybe they won't notice.

We hold hands with friends when we are friends. Can we please hold hands?
Last edited April 11, 2019 11:57 am

Rolls

Diplomacy +4 - (1d20+4)

(6) + 4 = 10

Apr 11, 2019 1:51 pm
Moonbeam says:
"Our new friends were telling me that they awoke suddenly knowing words. They do not know how this happened."
Krav slides his pack off of his back and looks up at Verrian, "Interesting," he says. He then begins to remove his boots slowly and calmly while the hand-holding experiment goes on nearby. "They could be under some kind of spell. Can anyone detect magic?" He says to the rest of the group.

Turning to the nearest frog man he asks in a calm and serene tone, "How long have you been at this lake? Have you found anything unusual or encountered any strange objects since you've been here?"

Not waiting for a response, but staying within comfortable speaking range, Krav makes his way down to the water's edge. He looks out over the lake for a moment, and then begins to cast a spell while looking at the water just in front of his bare toes. Shiloh has followed him, darting and sniffing the ground nearby, but mostly ignoring the water.
OOC:
Rolling perception to check the lake for signs of danger, and casting detect poison on the water just to be safe

Rolls

Perception to check the lake for signs of danger - (1d20+8)

(2) + 8 = 10

Apr 11, 2019 1:55 pm
Viani quickly gets up and follows Krav for a few steps when she sees him starting to cast a spell. "Wait!", she whispers as loud as she can whisper. "Who knows how they will react to magic. It creeps me out, what if they are the same?"
She then turns back to Ember and the frog she is talking to and says: "Yes, we call it shaking hands. I want to shake your hands, too"
OOC:
I'll assist Ember with her roll. If this doesn't count for assistance, disregard the roll

Rolls

Diplomacy - (1D20-1)

(2) - 1 = 1

Apr 11, 2019 2:01 pm
OOC:
I'd say that roll doesn't count as assistance.
Apr 11, 2019 2:06 pm
OOC:
You think so? I think I helped enormously
Apr 11, 2019 2:08 pm
bowlofspinach says:
Viani quickly gets up and follows Krav for a few steps when she sees him starting to cast a spell. "Wait!", she whispers as loud as she can whisper. "Who knows how they will react to magic. It creeps me out, what if they are the same?"
Krav stops casting, and after a moment nods at her in agreement.
Apr 11, 2019 5:45 pm
78RPMLife sent a note to kona
The frog-people behind Bronk and Brack look back and forth at each other in confusion, and back at Ember and Viani, and then back to each other again. They're wary, that much seems evident, but they're also not obviously offended by anyone's actions thus far. Still, none of them steps forward to offer a hand.

Brack replies to Verrian, "We can move you all on the boat, but.. you can not swim to the other side? And your friends can not?"
Apr 11, 2019 5:54 pm
After thoroughly documenting the properties of the lichen in his journal, Ephwrath wanders up to the group talking with the frog creatures. He overhears Krav's question about detecting magic, as well as Viani's admonition to be cautious. He steps off to the side, so as to get an unobscured view of the creatures, and subtly casts the spell in their direction.
OOC:
This is a concentrated cast (1 min). Do I detect anything?
Apr 11, 2019 5:55 pm
OOC:
Oh, if you only knew what a loaded question that is... :D

I'm off to a meeting, and then to lunch. I will have your answer after that.
Apr 11, 2019 6:13 pm
78RPMLife says:
The frog-people behind Bronk and Brack look back and forth at each other in confusion, and back at Ember and Viani, and then back to each other again. They're wary, that much seems evident, but they're also not obviously offended by anyone's actions thus far. Still, none of them steps forward to offer a hand.

Brack replies to Verrian, "We can move you all on the boat, but.. you can not swim to the other side? And your friends can not?"
Verrian smiles. "Some of us can swim, some can't. But our kind don't swim as well as yours, in any case. We do better moving by boat over big waters like these."
Apr 11, 2019 8:49 pm
78RPMLife sent a note to AugustAsh
Apr 11, 2019 8:56 pm
Brack nods slowly, froggy head tilted slightly as it studies Verrian and the others, lingering perhaps a bit longer on Yelnar. "We can move you all on the boat," says Brack. "We will not go near the Nest of Knives, though, not without a better catch. Great danger. We have lost many friends."

One of the frog-people behind Bronk and Brack starts to step forward. A couple of the others put hands on it as if to hold it back, but it lets out a sharp burping sound, and it comes forward. Roughly, as if unused to speaking the common tongue, it says to Viani, "You touch skin. I touch..." The words don't come immediately, so it waggles two of its fingers at Viani's head. "The color on your head?"

The others, who'd tried to stop their companion, look quickly away as though afraid or embarrassed. Bronk and Brack both noticeably tense up, seeming ready to leap away if necessary.
Apr 11, 2019 9:00 pm
Viani smiles happily when the frog comes forward and speaks to her. "You want to touch my hair? Sure, go ahead!"
She reaches out to put her hand on the frog person's skin. She grins with excitement. Maybe she's the first person ever to touch a frogman! Except for the frogs themselves, obviously.
She then lowers her head slightly to allow the shorter frog to touch her hair. She speaks slowly when she asks: "My name is Viani, by the way. What can I call you?"
Apr 11, 2019 9:05 pm
Yelnar points in the direction of where his family estate was "Do you know anything of what is on the land in that direction on the other side of the lake? My family were there before Wall not wall"
Apr 11, 2019 9:30 pm
The brave frog shrinks just a little bit away from Viani's touch, as if not quite sure that this is a good idea after all, but doesn't run away. Its skin is wet, given that it just came up from the lake, and a little cool, but not cold. It looks smooth, but there are fine bumps all along its head.

"I am Greeeemp," it says, drawing out the vowel sound. It reaches out one spindly finger to touch Viani's hair. Its mouth opens slowly, and almost seems to smile carefully. "Veenee? Vaaaaaaah-nee?" it tries, and decides it likes the second one. "Vah-nee! Is right?"
Apr 11, 2019 9:35 pm
Viani smiles excitedly. "Close enough, Greemp!", she exclaims. "Your skin feels funny. I like it! She reaches out for his head again, rubbing it softly while allowing him to touch her hair.
Apr 11, 2019 10:42 pm
chunky04 says:
Yelnar points in the direction of where his family estate was "Do you know anything of what is on the land in that direction on the other side of the lake? My family were there before Wall not wall"
Bronk is the frog-person who answers. "We have not gone that way in many moons," it says. "There are... the places where your people live?"

Brack supplies the word, "Houses."

"Houses," Bronk agrees. "Many houses. But we see none of your people. It is very quiet there, at the place where the moving water meets the still water." It spreads a hand toward the lake. "There once were many fish there.". Bronk’s head drops, and its voice fades.
Apr 11, 2019 10:43 pm
Ephwrath begins swaying and then falls to one knee, head down and breathing heavily. He gasps "It's everywhere!"
Apr 11, 2019 10:58 pm
Verrian looks at Ephwrath. Smiling at the frog people, she gets to her feet and moves toward him without the appearance of alarm or excessive hurry. Kneeling beside him, she asks in a low voice, "What's everywhere? What have you found?"
Apr 11, 2019 11:28 pm
Ephwrath regaining his composure, takes a deep breath. "Powerful auras of magic... Everywhere. Flowing in the water... from the land... through the air... It's like all of the elements have been imbued with magic. It's... incredible!"
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.