Chapter 1: Departure (Day 2)

load previous
Apr 15, 2019 4:49 pm
"You're not supposed to eat it. Let me explain how it works: My father has a coop of chickens. They lay eggs that we can eat. But sometimes we don't want eggs but instead we want something else, like fish. My father trades some eggs for money with someone who wants eggs. Then he goes to a fisherman and exchanges the money for fish. Maybe the fisherman doesn't want eggs but because he can buy whatever he wants with the money, he's always willing to trade for that."

When Bronk reaches out for Viani's jacket, she replies: "I don't swim in it. It would get all wet and disgusting. If I want to swim, I have to take it off."

Rolls

Diplomacy: Capitalism rules - (1D20-1)

(14) - 1 = 13

Apr 15, 2019 4:58 pm
Nearly all of Viani's response after 'eggs that we can eat' gets lost in most of the frog-people hopping away to cower at the other end of the boat. Even Bronk shrinks away, a tiny froggy whisper coming out. "You... eat the eggs?" Bronk says.
Apr 15, 2019 5:05 pm
Viani looks at the frogs in confusion for a moment, then she realizes what's wrong. They also all come from eggs. "Well, yes...", she stutters. "But... umm, only chicken eggs. And we feed our chickens really well. They get corn and grain and meat..."
She looks at Verrian, silently begging her for help.
Apr 15, 2019 5:27 pm
OOC:
inb4 the frogs declare communism and start an uprising against the capitalist pigdogs who eat eggs and feed pet birds
OOC:
Oh my god little frog men in russian duster coats with ushanka hats and PPsH submachien guns. I want it to happen
Last edited April 15, 2019 5:28 pm
Apr 15, 2019 6:44 pm
bowlofspinach says:
Viani looks at the frogs in confusion for a moment, then she realizes what's wrong. They also all come from eggs. "Well, yes...", she stutters. "But... umm, only chicken eggs. And we feed our chickens really well. They get corn and grain and meat..."
She looks at Verrian, silently begging her for help.
Verrian sighs and excuses herself to Ephwrath, rising to make her way over to the site of Viani's latest diplomatic disaster in the making.

Upon determining the crux of the conflict, Verrian assures the frogs that the chicken eggs in question are not babies or even potential babies. "They are not like the eggs your people make to create new ones of your kind. These are produced for food.

"But among all living things, there is a food chain. Every living thing eats, and often they eat other creatures. But our people make a distinction between what we think of as 'animals' and creatures - like you - that we consider to be people. We don't eat people."
Apr 15, 2019 6:54 pm
Bronk looks from Viani to Verrian and back again. "I understand?" says Bronk carefully, but the questioning inflection makes it sound awfully uncertain. "I am glad that you friends do not eat other friends."

It gives Viani a long, unreadable stare, and then goes back to helping take the boat across the lake. This conversation -- and the opportunity for further conversation -- seems to be over for now.
Apr 15, 2019 6:59 pm
Verrian hides a sigh, then gives Viani a pointed look and shares, Do you think you can stay out of trouble until we get off the boat?
Apr 15, 2019 7:15 pm
Viani looks to the ground, visibly embarrassed and upset by the trouble she caused. She does not look at Verrian, when she quietly mumbles "I'm sorry."
Without another word, she walks back into the corner where she had gone after Verrian had broken up her and Ember. She silently opens her backpack and pulls out a thick, leather bound book. She opens it and starts reading, consciously holding the book in a way that hides her face behind it.
Apr 16, 2019 12:45 pm
Hearing the commotion behind him, Yelnar eventually stands up from sitting next to Ember, giving her a pat on the shoulder as he does. He moves over towards Bronk, walking with his palms up, imitating Verrian from before, as he knows the frog is currently fearful. He asks Bronk "Bronk, I have to make sure my family is OK first, but I want to come back and help you with the knife birds if I can. How would we contact you once we're right to help? Is there some sort of signal we could use that the birds wouldn't know about?"
Apr 16, 2019 4:32 pm
The frogs do not seem particularly afraid of Yelnar, and Bronk seems perfectly willing to talk. "Family? Is like friends? Helping friends is good," Bronk says, head bobbing in the affirmative. "Gromp once said that friends from behind the Wall That Is Not a Wall would help us be free of the knife birds. That we should watch for them. We will watch for you to come back to the place where you leave the boat?" The other frogs nearby bob their heads as well.
Apr 16, 2019 4:48 pm
Ephwrath looks up at Verrian and simply says "I... don't swim well. My people prefer deep caves and solid ground. It took me many years to become comfortable on that island, especially up in the towers..." He gives her a weak smile and holds the mast a little tighter.
Apr 16, 2019 9:08 pm
Verrian puts a hand on his shoulder in sympathy. "Well, if it's any comfort, we're nearly across the lake now. Think of all the exciting discoveries there are to be made on the other side."
Apr 17, 2019 4:42 pm

As you approach your destination, the small harbor town of Viamard, you're able to get a look at it from a distance. The closely-built stone structures butt up against the lakeshore, surrounding a few docks where four small fishing vessels are moored. Your boat moves closer, and you note that there is no apparent activity in the town. It looks more like an old ruin than the thriving lakeside village it used to be. Away from the shore, you can see a taller building, some sort of small citadel or fortress, with a single spire rising above the rest of the squat building. Some of the buildings near the shore bear the scorch marks of a fire, a few have started to crumble around the edges. Some gulls wheel overhead, but this seems to be the only thing moving.

The frog-people bring your boat into the docks, and quickly leap off to tie off. Bronk and Brack both hop over and shoo their people back to allow you plenty of space to disembark. "Please be careful, friends," says Brack, with Bronk bobbing its head in agreement. "We have seen other friends like you here sometimes, but we do not share words with them. They smell of grains that have gone sour, and they sometimes throw things at us from the docks. Be wary."

Bronk and the other frog-people hop back to the boat as your party finishes unloading. Brack adds to Yelnar, "We will watch for you to return to the docks." It puts both hands on Yelnar's arm. "I wish that you will find your family friends safe."
[ +- ] Map of Viamard
Apr 17, 2019 4:50 pm
Viani packs her book back into her backpack in silence, attaches her weapon back to its holder on her back and puts all of her bags and pouches that she took off for the boat journey back on.
She doesn't say a word to any of her companions as she leaves the boat, her head down, looking at the ground. She does whisper a quick "Good bye" to the frogs, however as she leaves the boat.
She'll just follow the others' lead. For now, she doesn't feel like talking to anyone.
Last edited April 17, 2019 4:51 pm
Apr 17, 2019 5:27 pm
Verrian stops to pay respect to Brack and Bronk. "Thank you for helping us leave the island, and for becoming our first friends outside the Wall That is Not a Wall. We will come back to help you with the Knife Birds as soon as we can. Until then, I wish you good fishing, friends. "
Apr 17, 2019 5:33 pm
Krav, who has remained mostly silent during the journey, hops out of the boat and nods to their new friends.

"Goodbye my friends," he says as gathers up his gear, "we will return."

The mention of "others" has Krav on edge already. He peers up into the town for signs of movement or danger.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+8)

(2) + 8 = 10

Apr 17, 2019 5:38 pm
Ember waves at the frogs.

Great. Drunks. This'll be fun.
Apr 17, 2019 5:41 pm
78RPMLife sent a note to kona
Apr 17, 2019 6:15 pm
"Thank you, kind frogs." Elora does a small bow before exiting the boat, taking a few wobbly steps onto land.
Apr 17, 2019 8:30 pm
Yelnar unloads the sled on to the docks, then grabs a couple of javelins from the pile and presents it to to Bronk. "These should help you catch more fish."
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.