Chapter 2: Out of the Frying Pan

load previous
Apr 25, 2019 3:16 pm
"Somewhere out here. She was supposed go be in Taryadi when the wards went up. We were trapped inside and she was trapped outside. She could be anywhere by now. Or dead."
Apr 25, 2019 3:31 pm
Verrian finally understands why this issue seems so deeply personal to Viani. "I'm sorry, Viani. Most of my kin were outside the wards, too."
Apr 25, 2019 3:51 pm
Ember shrinks into herself.
[ +- ] aw.
She straightens up and pats Viani on the shoulder.

Well, we're out now! We can finally get closure for everyone! It's a blessing, even for all the drama that comes with it.
Last edited April 25, 2019 4:01 pm

Rolls

Bluff - Have no fear! +8 - (1d20+8)

(18) + 8 = 26

Apr 25, 2019 4:40 pm
Throughout the journey up the road, Ephwrath zig-zags from one side to the other, occasionally disappearing into the tall grass. Excited muttering can occasionally be heard as he no doubt finds an interesting small creature or plant to collect, occasionally returning to walk with the group while he quickly logs his findings, and then returns for more.

He eventually walks up to Viani, small twigs and bits of grass tangled in his beard, and overhears her comments about what would have happened if the Mage Kings had waged their wars with only knives. Despite his disheveled appearance, he suddenly takes on a very serious and scholarly look. "I'm sorry young lady, but that's simply not true. Evil men will do evil things, regardless of how powerful the weapon is, and I assure you there are non-magical weapons that exist that are vastly more powerful than knives." He pauses, potentially to let his comment sink in, and his face softens. "I'll be sending my next batch of samples soon. Would you like me to include a letter to your family?"
Apr 25, 2019 5:13 pm
Viani openes her mouth, seemingly to protest Ephwrath's statement but before she can speak, she gets interrupted by his question for the letter. Her expression turns into a smile and she pulls out an envelope with two names and an address written on it. She hands it to Ephwrath. "I wrote it during my watch last night. Thank you for doing this for me!"
Apr 25, 2019 6:01 pm
Krav notes the tension in the group's conversation, but does not engage with anyone. He wants to say that magic is not a weapon. Weapons are items that are created with the sole purpose of inflicting bodily harm or damage. He wants to say that, regardless of how hard we might try to control it, magic will always be there. It is not something that we created, it is only something that we harness. But he doesn't say anything...debating the topic is futile.

Somehow he doesn't feel he'll be able to remain neutral forever though. If an elephant has its foot on the tail of a mouse, and you say that you are neutral, the mouse will not appreciate your neutrality.
Apr 25, 2019 7:49 pm

The road winds through a few low hills, covered with waving prairie grass, and starts to climb slowly the farther you get from the lakeshore. As you crest a hill, you can see a small keep atop one of the hills not far away: the family estates. A few smaller buildings dot the nearby landscape, some of which appear to be barns, with a number of corrals associated with them: wooden fences that were likely once stout and well cared for, but a lack of attention has not treated them overly well. The road crosses a rickety bridge over a wide, muddy creek. One corner of the keep appears to have partially collapsed, but the remainder seems to be standing strong as far as you can tell.

The estates look more or less abandoned, but they clearly once were home to a number of people and animals. Neither one appears to be present right now, or at any time in the recent past, as far as you can tell. It is probably around mid-day as you reach this spot.
[ +- ] The Keep on the Hill
Apr 25, 2019 9:13 pm
As soon as the estates come into view, Yelnar drops the sled and breaks into a run. He’s intending to head straight for the cellar he saw his Mother going in to in his vision.
OOC:
He’s carrying his Bardiche
Last edited April 25, 2019 9:13 pm
Apr 25, 2019 9:45 pm
Verrian watches Yelnar bolt away from the group. She looks at the sled and sighs. "If there's anything on the sled that you don't want to be without, grab it now. Otherwise, we'll leave it here for now. And I see no reason to rush ahead; it doesn't look as though anyone's been here in a long time."
Apr 25, 2019 9:52 pm
Krav does not rush after Yelnar, but shouts, "Wait! The bridge may be unstable!"

"Ephwrath," Krav says while partially turning his head, but not taking his eyes off of Yelnar, "do you have any knowledge of engineering? Maybe you could inspect it before we cross?"
Apr 25, 2019 9:54 pm
Viani looks after Yelnar with an annoyed expression. She can understand his feelings and that he would want to check on the estate as quickly as possible but she is still upset about his behavior at the campfire so his running off annoys her. She decides to stay with the cart unless everyone else takes off after him in which case she would follow along
Apr 25, 2019 10:07 pm
Hearing Krav's warning, Yelnar has a look at the bridge he is very familiar with as he moves, but unless he spots something different about it, he continues across.
OOC:
Rolling Perception - not really looking to see if its structurally sound or anything, as Yelnar lacks that skill - more looking to see if there is anything different about it than he remembers - if there is, he would likely know the next alternative and head that way

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+1)

(20) + 1 = 21

Apr 25, 2019 10:13 pm
The bridge isn't in the greatest of conditions, and not just from time, weather and neglect. Some of the timbers are obviously cracked, and the deck has gaping holes in some places and sags noticeably in others, as though it's held weight beyond its capacity. It's probably only 10-15 feet above the creek, and someone not wanting to risk it could relatively easily climb down to the creek and back up the other side and only lose a few moments. Transporting carts or animals across, however, would be hampered a bit by the poor condition of the bridge. It'd take at least a few minutes, maybe a half-hour, depending on what you were transporting, to get across the creek.

A person, paying attention as Yelnar is, could almost certainly make their way across without trouble.
Apr 26, 2019 5:52 am
Yelnar makes his way carefully across but with as much haste as he feels he can risk.
Apr 26, 2019 7:06 am
Verrian watches Yelnar cross the bridge, then sighs. "I'll go with him just in case. There might be some clue that could help us understand what happened here, even if there are no people around. The rest of you can either come along or stay, as you please."

She hurries to the bridge but slows to cross it, looking it over carefully to avoid rotten boards and other hazards.
Last edited April 26, 2019 4:07 pm

Rolls

Scoping out the bridge - (1d20+5)

(9) + 5 = 14

Apr 26, 2019 11:40 am
Ember follows to get away from Viani, clear the air.

She decides to climb down the ravine and see if she can find anything interesting. No use trying a rickety bridge after the big guy gallops across.

Rolls

Perception +0 - (1d20)

(8) = 8

Apr 26, 2019 1:51 pm
OOC:
Before we move anything forward, I’d like everyone to indicate whether they’re going with Yelnar or staying here. Looks like Verrian’s going, Viani is staying. Ember, are you going, just taking the alternate route?
Apr 26, 2019 2:01 pm
OOC:
Yes indeed, sir.
Apr 26, 2019 3:45 pm
78RPMLife sent a note to lavtodd
Apr 26, 2019 3:46 pm
OOC:
I'm following along with majority of the group.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.