Chapter 2: Out of the Frying Pan

load previous
May 8, 2019 12:03 am
Ember smiles. It's nice to be part of something good. At least, it seems good so far. How can it not be?

So, drills and research for us. Spying for Shiloh, Verrian, and Froak. We'll need a sign so we know to come help you if you need it. And maybe, if there's a safe place to hide out, we can be closer to the citadel.

There are only two traditional humanoids in this list. That's a weird notion for Ember. She takes a deep breath and turns to Viani.

And, if you'd be willing, V, I want to pick your and Epwrath's brains about the gods. Inquisitors know a lot about them, right? Maybe we can talk between drills.
May 8, 2019 12:07 am
OOC:
Don’t worry, I’ll find plenty of things for you all to do. :)
May 8, 2019 5:55 am
"Sure, I have studied the gods extensively and I grew up worshipping Occasa. I should be able to answer your questions." She turns to Verrian. "But please let me be part of the scout mission. It would mean a lot to me."
Last edited May 8, 2019 8:27 am
May 8, 2019 6:20 am
"I can run through some drills no problem. Perhaps I can evaluate who is in most need of that ring at the same time"

"Viani, at school the Granite instructors always talked to us about the teamwork training Inquisitors go through, would any of that be helpful to our situation? Otherwise I was going to just get a feel of the preferences of everyone and see who works together well as a basic squad building block to start with?" Yelnar does not sound super confident about this idea.
OOC:
This is a genuine thing Yelnar would have heard in regards to Inquisitors. Being more of a lone wolf type, he’d be looking for help in team tactics, as he’s not confident in them.
Last edited May 8, 2019 6:26 am
May 8, 2019 2:51 pm
Ember nods.

Yelnar makes a good point, V. We really need you here. And I.......really need to ask you about Ocassa.

She speaks quickly, noticing that her skin feels itchy.
May 8, 2019 4:29 pm
"Yup Yup! I know all the good sneaky peeky spots around the big D tower. We gotta be super careful, but if youre quiet and a good climber i can show you all the good hiding spots. Also, if we can go back in there, id like my Sharp-and-brown back. Froak also has an idea..."

He looks to the group members around himself and Verrian.

"Theres some reeds and stuff down by the water, thats super not good for you. We use small bits when we cant excrete waste, and we could mix some into the jugs if we wanted to make them unable to fight us."

Froak draws another picture in the dirt, a bunch of simple lines with wide tops and small frays.

"We call em Tum-Tum Reeds, but if we offer them a bunch of jugs, im sure theyd drink em up real quick."

Rolls

Survival- Find some Tum-Tum Reeds - (1d20+4)

(9) + 4 = 13

May 8, 2019 9:44 pm
OOC:
Summary of the plan as I understand it:

Krav will send Shiloh in to spy out where Yelnar's mother is being kept.
Verrian (and Froak? Not Froak?) will sneak in to see what sort of information she can gather, hopefully without encountering the Crows (EDIT: They will be spying from outside the walls, unless it seems likely they can get into the citadel without being detected)
Elora will be copying spells into spellbooks and staying out of the citadel.
Yelnar will be doing some combat training with Viani, Ember and... Ephwrath? In addition, the non-Citadel folks will do a bit of exploring around Viamard? It's worth noting that the town is abandoned, but why it's abandoned has never been definitively determined. The non-citadel folks will also be spying from the tall spying spots outside the citadel walls.

THe party will also seek out Froak's herbs to possibly disable Crows if necessary.

What am I missing? Do I have anything wrong?
May 8, 2019 9:59 pm
Verrian says, "All right, Ember has a point about the need for a distress signal in case Froak and I get into trouble. Does anyone have any ideas?"
May 8, 2019 10:25 pm
Ember scratches her head.

Well, it could be as simple as "if you aren't back by this time, we're coming after you." But if things go south immediately, that's bad news for you, and a long time to wait. What if.....I mean, is there any way at all to signal Shiloh? Have him come tell Krav? Other than that, all I can think is shooting a flaming arrow up, but that draws attention.

She pauses, and slowly turns to look at the frog man.

Froak.........you're a grown up, right? You can sing to lady frogs? How loud can you do that?
May 9, 2019 6:59 pm
OOC:
I've attached a map of how far a Froak mating call could reach. The green circle indicates the distance you could hear it from if you were indoors, the red circle indicates how far you could hear it outdoors. It's probably wildly inaccurate. Good enough for our purposes, I hope. :)

Edit: had it backwards the first time. Fixed now. Thanks, bowl.
[ +- ] Mating Call
May 9, 2019 8:18 pm
OOC:
This thread is an OC-summary-turned-IC from a Discord chat. We wanted to make sure everyone could see it.
Froak blushes, if it can be called that with a cold-blooded creature.
"Really loud. Though no ladies have sung back yet."
He traces a circle on the map.
"If friends were here, they could hear Froak from one of his good sneakin’ spots."

Verrian studies the map intently. "So then we would need a third person to come with us. Or a pair of Whitestone discs."

"And they’d need to tell the group somehow." Viani leans over her shoulder, brow furrowed. She sits down. "We could try to send something through Epwrath’s box and tell them to tell us. But that would take a long time, and people don’t seem to think they can trust the College right now anyway."

"Even having an ally near the walls to send an alarm would take a long time."

"We do have the horses now."

"But we can’t draw attention to the group. We still don’t know exactly what these Crows want. And we don’t know if everyone can ride."

"They might patrol the hiding spots anyway."

"What if…." Ember speaks up cautiously, but shakes her head. "No, it’s too much of a long shot."

Viani perks up. "No, I want to hear it now, even if it is a stupid idea."

Ember shrugs. "I was going to suggest I could climb a tree and shoot fire into the air when I heard the croak. My meteors, or my missile. But someone would have to watch for it. And everyone’s either studying or training with Yelnar. Maybe Krav or you, V?"

Verrian speaks up. "We need to practice fighting as a group, especially since some of us don’t use magic."

Viani spins in her seat. "I have magic! It’s just not for fighting. And I can too fight. I’ve just…never killed anyone before."

"An ability, unfortunately, only learned in the moment."

"I hate to say it," Ember says, "but I don’t think we can afford to train right now. It’s super important! And I want to practice too. But our options are apparently training or keeping Froak and Verrian safe."

Verrian nods simply and looks at the map again. "I wonder if there are any safe hiding spots closer to the Citadel."

They study the drawing, seeing if they can make any guesses.

Rolls

Ember's Map Perception +0 - (1d20)

(9) = 9

Verrian's Map Perception +5 - (1d20+5)

(14) + 5 = 19

Viani's Map Perception +6 - (1d20+6)

(16) + 6 = 22

May 9, 2019 8:47 pm
OOC:
I'm going to make the assumption that Froak would offer some suggestions as well, having been in the town before.
Studying the map, a few options for safe hiding spots present themselves:

At the back of the citadel, outside town, there are a few small farms. These have some buildings that might be close enough to the walls to hear a call, but it's a bit of a stretch. Still, these are pretty likely to be abandoned.

Froak can suggest that he's never seen anyone inside the buildings closest to the citadel gates (which include his rooftop spying spots), but they are closest to the guards at the gates.

North of the Citadel, on the town square, there are a few abandoned buildings that might be a good compromise: away from the gates, close enough to potentially stay indoors and hear a warning call. The building closest to the wall has suffered some damage, the doors and windows gone, but that would almost act as though you were outdoors, if you stayed in that building and listened for a warning call.

Those seem to be the most likely options.
May 9, 2019 9:01 pm
In her study of the map and assessment of Froak's information, Verrian reaches the following conclusion. "I think the safest option is for the rest of the party to go to that building north of the Citadel, the one that's missing doors and windows. You're less likely to be detected by the Crows while you go about your tasks, and your hearing would be less obstructed while still being shielded from view by the walls of the building."
May 9, 2019 9:22 pm
Viani nods at Verrian's suggestion. "It looks like a good hiding spot that's not too far from the citadel. But I'm not sure we should be training in there. It would make a lot of noises that would draw attention to us. If we want to train, we should do that another time, when we're not in immediate danger."
May 9, 2019 9:26 pm
"Makes sense to me. In lieu of training, how about we at least talk about our preferences when fighting? I figure we’d want to wait till dark to get our sneaky folk in position right? I’m happy to start. If I’m using my Bardiche, I want to be up front, as my style with that weapon gives me more opportunities to attack if people move around nearby. It takes a bit to setup, but then sets up people for sneak attacks as the fight goes on, so if you’re able to attack at range till people engage me, you can then normally come in and get some good licks in. It helps with multiple opponents. If I’m using a two handed or a shield it’s more close in fighting and I don’t need as much room."

As Yelnar talks through this he grabs some nearby objects and uses them to show relative positions. He then looks at Krav, as he’s the only other one he’s seen up close fighting.
OOC:
Basically Yelnar works well at the front of a speartip where he can use all his attacks of opportunity on people who try to get behind him, but needs a bit of space so people aren’t as inclined to come in close where his pole arm is t as effective
May 9, 2019 9:53 pm
"I've been trained at the college with a number of different weapons but the one I can work with best is the ranseur. I don't really know how to describe my fighting style, it's not as thought out as yours, Yelnar. I just... you know, fight. But I'm pretty good at disarming people, I guess"
May 9, 2019 10:26 pm
"At close range, I do really well using my rapier. Otherwise, I can deliver damage at range with my crossbow. And I'm particularly skilled at doing damage to an opponent when they are flanked."
Last edited May 9, 2019 10:36 pm
May 9, 2019 10:35 pm
Krav nods at Verrian, "Flanking is always good. I will keep that in mind."

"I am most effective when up close and personal," Krav mentions as he lays a hand on the hilt of his scimitar and makes a motion with his head toward the wooden shield strapped to his back. "My magic is not going to be much use in a fight if we follow this plan. I am not formally trained, but I am competent enough to be helpful on the front line."

"Regarding our positioning, I agree that the building north of the citadel seems best. I would like to be as close as possible in case Shiloh needs me."
May 9, 2019 10:38 pm
Ember's glad to see a plan come together.

I.....don't really get into melee. I can't wear armor. But if I have line of sight, I can do some real damage.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.