Chapter 2: Out of the Frying Pan

load previous
May 6, 2019 9:19 pm
Yelnar looks like he wants to respond to Viani a couple of times, but Verrian seems to have it covered better than he would anyway.

Froak could you draw out the hiding spots you know about? We have enough sneaky types to use a few maybe. How close do you need to be for Shiloh Krav? Are you yourself also stealthy?
May 6, 2019 9:20 pm
OOC:
He's already made a drawing in the dirt which Verrian copied to paper. We're just waiting for Robb to get the drawing uploaded.
May 6, 2019 9:58 pm
Giving up on getting through to Viani, Verrian says, "But infiltration is a bad idea, regardless, because we don't know enough about what happened after the wards went up to not give ourselves away in even casual conversation. I like Krav's idea of sending in Shiloh to find Yelnar's mother and bring us that information."
May 7, 2019 5:00 am
Meanwhile, Ephwrath approaches, muttering something to himself about antagonistic felines. He grabs the letter from the final box and begins to study it intensely.

Rolls

Knowledge (History) - (1d20+4)

(18) + 4 = 22

May 7, 2019 5:44 am
OOC:
Did Elora learn anything from her previous rolls btw?
May 7, 2019 11:50 am
Trying to behave herself for Verrian, Ember peeks over Epwrath's shoulder (he's probably got the only shoulders she can peek over).

She apparently can't glean much useful from the letter, but at least she looks busy.
Last edited May 7, 2019 11:50 am

Rolls

Sense motive +2? Worth a shot? - (1d20+2)

(4) + 2 = 6

May 7, 2019 4:30 pm
somebox says:
I can take a look at it...when you're done of course. Elora says while very carefully examing the books, not wanting anything to break.
OOC:
My apologies -- been busy, and missed your rolls in the flurry of posts!
78RPMLife sent a note to somebox
May 7, 2019 4:44 pm
AugustAsh says:
Meanwhile, Ephwrath approaches, muttering something to himself about antagonistic felines. He grabs the letter from the final box and begins to study it intensely.
Ephwrath recalls a story he came across in a book once. It's rumored that prior to the dawn of the Great Advancement (~250 years ago), there was a meeting of five extremely powerful mages (using this as a generic term for wizards and sorcerers). As the rumor goes, the Great Advancement was a direct result of something that happened at this meeting -- what that "something" was is unknown, but there's plenty of speculation among the more conspiracy-minded among scholars. The site of the meeting is also the subject of extensive (if obscure) debate. One account suggests that it happened at the ruins of the headquarters of an ancient sect of shapechangers deep in the central mountains of what is now Ardraven. The reference in this letter to "bears" may refer to the statues of massive bears that were said to guard the entrance to those ruins.
May 7, 2019 4:57 pm
[ +- ] Map in the dirt...
A map of the citadel drawn by Froak (or me, by proxy).
May 7, 2019 5:31 pm
chunky04 says:
Yelnar looks like he wants to respond to Viani a couple of times, but Verrian seems to have it covered better than he would anyway.

Froak could you draw out the hiding spots you know about? We have enough sneaky types to use a few maybe. How close do you need to be for Shiloh Krav? Are you yourself also stealthy?
"I don't need to be close at all, but he will need instructions before he leaves, and then will have to return to us to communicate what he saw. It will take almost all of my allotment of magic for the day to do this scouting, but it may be worth it."

"As for myself," Krav looks down at the stiff leather armor and gear strapped to him, "I would be a little quieter if I removed my gear, but it's not really my strong suit."
OOC:
Krav's stealth is -2 in armor, +1 without armor. Shiloh's stealth is +18.
If I need to talk to Shiloh before hand, I'll have to use Speak with Animals again. And I will likely need to talk to him afterward, so then I'd have to cast it again. That's both of my level 1 spells spent on this.
May 7, 2019 5:33 pm
OOC:
Verrian has a +9 to stealth.
May 7, 2019 5:40 pm
Viani decides to drop the topic.

She looks at the letter as well. She's not that well versed in history but if there are any religious themes in it, she's fairly confident she should be able to pick them up.
She also studies Froak's map thoroughly. She suspects that good knowledge of the layout will come in handy sooner rather than later.
OOC:
Viani has +6 to Stealth

I edited out some parts from this post because of our newly implemented rules
Last edited May 7, 2019 7:40 pm

Rolls

Knowledge Religion - (1D20+5)

(3) + 5 = 8

May 7, 2019 6:41 pm
OOC:
Oh boy I'm gonna have to read through that copying post when I get home, the ring is +1 protection.
"This ring can help protect whoever scouts if they have to fight." Elora extends her hand with the ring in her grasp, her other arm flipping through the pages of the spellbooks with clear interest.
May 7, 2019 7:14 pm
Ember takes the ring to examine it.

I love it when people make little spells permanent. It saves so much time, and the things really are pretty. You can tell a lot about a person this way. I mean, you can tell a lot about a person a lot of ways.

Her eyes flick to Viani for the briefest moment. Nobody would notice if they weren't looking at Ember. She chuckles, and passes the ring to whomever wants to see it next.

I'll admit. Even the spitfire in me is up for playing this safe, now that we realize how little we know. I like this plan. Do you want V and I to make dinner? We caught enough small game so we don't have to tap into trail rations.
Last edited May 7, 2019 7:23 pm
May 7, 2019 8:23 pm
"Might want to store them in the cold storage for now - I think we need to go without smoke for now so we do less to give away our presence here until we’ve dealt with the Crows. I think sending in Shiloh is probably best for now. Froak did get caught after all.
May 7, 2019 8:44 pm
OOC:
Regarding the reconnaissance around the Citadel, I was thinking there are a couple of different tasks to be accomplished: 1) getting a feel for the layout of the place and the watch times and patterns of traffic in and out, and 2) getting intel on the interior of the building and finding where Yelnar's mother is being held.

This is why I kept assuming that there would be one or two sneaky party members going to Froak's designated spying spots, so that they can figure out the first part, while Shiloh slips inside to accomplish the second.

Does that make sense?
May 7, 2019 10:44 pm
OOC:
With your permission, I'll just assume you said that IC.
No fire's good, Yelnar. I hadn't thought of that.

She gives Krav an apologetic nod for hunting. She'll try to find a way to preserve them later.

If Shiloh's going to find Mrs. Yelnar, and, well, the rest of us aren't that sneaky. Except Verrian and Froak....and V? What do you want the rest of us doing? We could scout the rest of the area. Or heck! A few of us could go help the other frogs with the knife birds. It'd keep us from causing a stir here, right?

She hops up, gears turning.

Oh! That's what we can use the small game for! If the herons are awakened too, we can bring them a food offering and try to negotiate first!! Even if they aren't, they'd be good bait. What do you think?
May 7, 2019 11:10 pm
"I'd feel better if we weren't separated by so much distance. Maybe Yelnar could run the rest of the party through some fighting drills. I have a feeling we're going to need to be a more cohesive fighting unit in the very near future."
May 7, 2019 11:27 pm
OOC:
That plan sounds good to me.

I may have lied, the ring wasn't explicitly stated to be +1 protection. Still, definitely good.
"If it's alright, I would like to study the spellbook more in depth, it's quite...extensive. Elora chimes with quiet enthusiasm.
May 8, 2019 12:02 am
OOC:
I should have stated it more clearly... it is a ring of protection +1.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.