Chapter 2: Out of the Frying Pan

load previous
May 4, 2019 6:41 pm
Viani knows about the bodies but chooses to stay where she can't see them. She doesnt want them to become too real.
She stays with the horses, speaking to them in Elven, like she used to do with the chickens at home. After a while, she turns to Froak and asks: "Do your people have mounts? Giant fish or crabs, maybe"
Last edited May 4, 2019 6:42 pm
May 4, 2019 6:42 pm
She politely obliges, using as little as humanly possible. Preferably none at all. However, noticing Epwrath's intense enthusiasm, she concedes and tries not to breathe too heavily.

So......how do we do this?
Last edited May 4, 2019 6:42 pm

Rolls

Sleight of Hand +2 - (1d20+2)

(2) + 2 = 4

May 4, 2019 8:17 pm
Epwrath shows Ember how to move the bodies, and position them in a dignified manner. They arrange them in two groups based on their attire. The attackers in one row, and the defenders in another. They find some old tarps that were presumably used as awnings in the courtyard, and cover the bodies until a decision is made on how to dispose of them.

"It's Ember, right?" Ephwrath smiles at her. "Thank you for the assistance." He turns and frowns at the row of covered bodies that used to live here. "I hope none of these poor souls were Yelnar's kin."

He looks up at Ember, glancing at her scars, and studies her face for a moment. He opens his mouth slightly as if to say something, but simply smiles at her instead.
May 4, 2019 9:24 pm
Ember sighs. Better to be honest than to let people speculate, right? Especially if he's one of the few people who might have heard of her great-grandmother.

I know what you're thinking. Puberty sucks. My brother saved me. He was always better at this sort of thing than I was.

Her face falls as she looks at the bodies.

Unless they were all servants, I have a bad feeling about who these folks were. You're a cleric. Is there a way we can bury the attackers with less honor that won't tick off the gods? Or make us as bad as them?
Last edited May 4, 2019 9:24 pm
May 4, 2019 11:42 pm
In all the rushing around and the hope that his Mother might be alive, Yelnar had not really taken in that some of the dead might be known to him. He deflates a little, but steels himself and goes to look and see if he knew any of them, finding them handily arranged by Ephwrath and Ember.
May 5, 2019 4:05 am
The faces are all familiar: a stablehand a few years older than Yelnar, who was always gentle with the horses. An older man, wiry and grey-haired, the keep’s cook who swore he never used magic, but still managed to produce amazing meals... and a bit of sweet bread for the small boy who could never quite keep up with his brothers, no matter how hard he tried. A guardsman for the family, who had a bit of magical talent, but always preferred a sword and shield to a magic missile. There are around 20 in all, cut down by blades and axes and clubs before their time. Yelnar’s brother is not among the dead.
May 5, 2019 9:08 am
"They were always nice to me..." Yelnar mumbles to himself as he sees them all, now dead seemingly largely for being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I guess we need to bury them, I think I saw some shovels In the workshop, let’s get to work.

He goes and gets some shovels, finds a clear space with enough room that can be seen from the fort, and gets to work digging.
Last edited May 5, 2019 9:09 am
May 5, 2019 4:10 pm
Ember helps until the holes are too deep for her to get back out of, the tries to find Viani.

People he knew, but no family, I think. How is it over here with the.....whatever you’ve been doing?
May 5, 2019 4:27 pm
"Uh huh", Viani replies, still not really acknowledging the dead. "I've been looking after the horses. They look healthy, I think. But someone branded them. Yelnars family, probably."
May 5, 2019 9:50 pm
OOC:
I’m going to hit fast forward to the "getting the cache boxes open" and "planning for the next step" scene. If you were to head back to town now, you would likely arrive just as it’s getting dark. Please feel free to start that scene whenever someone has inspiration.
May 5, 2019 11:29 pm
With the locked boxes set before her and no way to open them, Elora reads aloud an incantation from her spellbook while her fingers are meshed together. "Wisply spirts of magic and might, grant me a boon of otherworldly sight.
OOC:
Casting detect magic. I'm going full witch.
Last edited May 5, 2019 11:29 pm
May 6, 2019 1:54 am
Elora is able to detect that each of the boxes bears something magical, but there does not seem to be anything magical about the boxes themselves, or the locks on the boxes.
May 6, 2019 2:26 am
"I think that's my cue," Verrian says, stepping up to the table where the boxes are laid out. She begins by checking them each for any mundane traps, which she will attempt to disarm if any are discovered. Then she picks the locks to open the boxes.

Rolls

Checking for traps - (1d20+5)

(15) + 5 = 20

Disarm traps, if found - (1d20+2)

(19) + 2 = 21

Pick the locks - (1d20+2)

(6) + 2 = 8

May 6, 2019 2:48 am
Verrian takes a careful look at the boxes, and realizes that each has the same poison needle trap in the lock. Once the first one is disarmed, it's easy to see how to take care of the others. However, the locks seem to have been rusted or otherwise damaged during storage, because they're surprisingly difficult to open.

But, given that there's a fair amount of time and no major rush to get them open, Verrian continues to poke and fiddle at the lock and finally, each of them pop open.
May 6, 2019 2:53 am
Heaving a sigh of relief at eventually achieving success with the locks, Verrian carefully opens the first box.
May 6, 2019 4:03 am
The first box is surprisingly large inside, for its size. In fact, as you look at it again, inside and outside, it does seem that there's some sort of extradimensional effect on the inside of the box. There are several books inside that would appear to be spellbooks. Nothing else is inside the first box.

The second box contains seven potions. Conveniently, they are labeled with runes that can be easily deciphered with read magic.

Two are potions of mage armor, two are potions of cure light wounds, one is a potion of cure moderate wounds, one is a potion of enlarge person, and the last is an oil of magic weapon.

The final box, the small metal box found along the corral fence, contains a ring and a letter. The ring is clearly magical, giving off a faint abjuration aura to a detect magic spell, but is not immediately identifiable.

The letter is readable, but cryptic.

Stones and time
Bears watch still
Ancients lay buried
Circle calls them forth

There is also a crude drawing, which seems to be a map of sorts.
[ +- ] Map
May 6, 2019 4:31 am
"Well, it appears we've found your mother's spellbooks," Verrian says. "The ring and the cryptic note are intriguing. I'm not versed in magic, but I'd guess that the ring conjures something. Maybe the ghosts of ancestors?"
May 6, 2019 5:54 am
I can take a look at it...when you're done of course. Elora says while very carefully examing the books, not wanting anything to break.

Rolls

Spellcraft - ring - (1D20+8)

(17) + 8 = 25

Spellcraft - books (+7 if arcana) - (1D20+8)

(6) + 8 = 14

May 6, 2019 8:17 am
Yelnar takes a look at the picture. "I don’t recognise that at all, we don’t have any mountains anywhere near here."

"Well, now that we have opened the caches and know what our assets are, I think it’s time we plan how to rescue my mother.

I’m not actually keen to just rush in - that’s likely to get her killed. When we go in, we’ll need to do it as close to perfect as we can get - we’re going to need more information on the disposition of the Crows.
Last edited May 6, 2019 9:12 pm
May 6, 2019 8:28 am
"Froak mentioned that he knows of some hiding spots from which we can watch the Crows without them noticing us." Viani steps closer to Yelnar and the others, leaving the horses where they were. "And they have offered that we could join them. We could pretend to take them up on that offer and find out more that way. I don’t want to just attack them openly."
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.