Character creation

load previous
Oct 24, 2015 6:34 am
Biscuitfiend says:
Hill dwarf Tempest Cleric, Acolyte background
Ooh. Tempest domain! Will work well with my Storm Sorcerer! :-)
Oct 24, 2015 7:33 am
Ok,so here we go. Quest Damoran, half-elf Mystic.

Quest was born and raised in the capital city of Keoland and to a rather successful silk merchant, herself a half-elf. His father passed away before Quest could form significant memories of him. His mother always told Quest that his father had been a good and kind man who loved his only son very much, but Quest could never shake the dark shadow that sent shivers down his spine when he thought of the man.
As he grew, Quest proved to be quite a talented entertainer. He displayed a nearly preternatural gift to anticipate his audience’s requests. This garnered him many fans, many of whom sought...more intimate performances. One lovely young woman became quite enamoured with Quest and booked him as often as she could. She went by the name Cadelia. and claimed to be of minor nobility. At first the affair was fun, Cadelia took care of Quest’s every desire. It was flattering to have the beautiful young woman pursuing him so adamantly. Soon however she became...possessive.
Quest found another patron, a mature elven woman named Mironund. Their relationship was much more of a learning experience for Quest. The older woman taught Quest that his view of the world was limited. She opened his mind to new ideas and convinced him he was destined for more. When Cadelia found out that Quest had another woman, she began to leverage her influence against them. Mironund offered to take Quest away from the city, but he was hesitant to leave his life behind.
Some time later, Quest found himself truly on the ropes. No one was willing to hire him and even his mother’s business was suffering thanks to Cadelia’s actions. He sought her out and managed to confront her. The argument grew heated, but before it could truly erupt, the creature crawled out of the sewer. It defied description, it was at once fluid and graceful, but shambled and writhed uncontrollably. It’s cry was like a soul burning in the deepest pit of hell, and as seductive as a lover’s whisper.
The mysterious appearance of Mironund is the only thing that saved Quest and Cadelia from being devoured. The next day, all Quest could remember was seeing a shadow, the same shadow that haunted his memory of his father. Quest questioned his mother about the connection and she confessed that there had been a prior incident. A monster attacked Quest and his father when Quest was an infant. They both survived miraculously, but Quests father was changed by the attack. He couldn’t sleep, he saw monsters in every shadow, he claimed to hear voices, and in the end he took his own life.
Two days after the attack, Quest woke up to a cacophony of voices, but no one was talking. He was hearing the thoughts of everyone in the city. Mironund was summoned and she managed to help Quest quiet the voices for a time. Mironund explained that Quest’s mind was awakening to new threats to the world. It was this awakening that drew the monster to him. Quest decided he had to leave the city and learn more about what was happening to him. Mironund agreed to mentor Quest. They spent years traveling the country teaching Quest how to control his gifts. Eventually they met Cecily Raptor. Quest was quickly swept up in the plan. Mironund had her misgivings but agreed to stay close, so that Quest could come to her when needed.

So, that got a little longer than I wanted but, that's what I got. There is plenty of room to have our characters meet prior to the start of our official story.
Oct 24, 2015 9:04 am
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
Biscuitfiend says:
Hill dwarf Tempest Cleric, Acolyte background
Ooh. Tempest domain! Will work well with my Storm Sorcerer! :-)
I'm not sure he wants to work with anyone, unless good food abounds!
Oct 24, 2015 6:22 pm
foolsmask says:
Oh...I see. In the past there was starting gold. Now it is consumed by the Background and Class starting equipment. I was thrown off by the presence of the table on page 143 of the PHB that lists starting gold by class like old additions used to use. I guess the other games I've played either made the same assumption or were just generous.

I am going with the Entertainer background. So I am all set. My bad.
No, please don't apologize: you're right - the table provides starting wealth for characters who don't take starting equipment for class and background. I'd just never paid attention to that table (and had forgotten about it), because I've never had players who wanted to do all the shopping. If you want to buy all your gear, you may do so as a Mystic with 4d4x10 GP (that's me, choosing the conservative number).
Oct 24, 2015 8:41 pm
I should have a character generated tomorrow and submitted. I'm still thinking of a paladin -- possibly a dwarven one.
Oct 24, 2015 8:49 pm
Great! I look forward to it.
Oct 25, 2015 7:03 pm
http://i.imgur.com/Lg7eXn2.jpg

Thacogygax
Dragonborn Storm Sorcerer

On his home world Thacogygax was a shipwright, a sailor, and an amateur astronomer. That world was torn apart when a conquering army destroyed his home and enslaved his people. All their kind were forcibly conscripted into this army as slave soldiers - cannon fodder. Except that with his innate magical powers Thacogygax along with similar others were turned into walking cannons themselves. Ultimately this army lost in another war and what few surviving were slaves freed. But by then there was no going back to previous lives. They were lost in a world not their own. Though some were able to build new lives and a place to belong but most wander alone, still lost, still searching for purpose, for belonging. In his travels Thacogygax found a companion in Aanbo Earthshaker, a travelling monk in on a quest of his own. Now they travel to join Cecily Raptor’s guild of adventurers. Perhaps Thacogygax will finally find a new purpose.

Thacogygax is not of this world but he resembles a dragonborn of blue ancestry. Members of that race seem to accept him well enough. If he were to converse in draconic it would be with an unusual accent and archaic speech pattern. His command of the language of the realm is slightly worse.

Trait: I have little practical experience dealing with people from this world.
Ideal: Belonging: I need to find myself a place to belong.
Ideal: Freedom. All slaves must be freed - by law, by coin, by shadow, or by blade.
Bond: My friends are all I have now, I would gladly die for them than be alone again.
Flaw: I've come to believe that the only value I have is as a rampaging engine of destruction.
Character sheet submitted but I've some tweaking left to do.

For background I took a little bit here and a little bit there. I'm calling it Sailor / Slave Soldier / Planar Exile. I almost gave him proficiency with Navigator's tools but I hesitate because while he used similar tools routinely on his home world the stars are completely different where he is now.

I couldn't come up with a Background Feature that works. None of the PHB ones seemed to fit. Help?

Stormborn sorcerous origin is from Unearthed Arcana Waterborne Adventures.

Spell selection is obviously not done yet. I have too many listed currently. Will fix that. Am I correct in assuming that spells from Elemental Evil are allowed?

I did a couple of things to add to the AD&D feel: First, I rolled for starting wealth and bought everything myself (attached the dice roll to my first post on this thread). Second, I will be casting using material spell components. It sure complicates things but that's the way I remember we did it back in the day hehe! Besides, it's a fun kind of headache. :-D

Am I missing anything?
Last edited October 25, 2015 7:35 pm
Oct 25, 2015 7:23 pm
Nice!

More details on Sara as well:

Trait: Odd. I daydream, make little artful constructions out of natural 'junk' and do awkward things that others interpret as cries for attention or an effort to stand out. Really, I'm just expressing myself.
Ideal: Nature's Guardian. The natural world must be preserved, and human corruption of nature is not sustainable.
Ideal: Freedom. No living creature should be bound by bonds of any kind.
Bond: I stand by those who I trust, and would sacrifice almost anything to protect those I love.
Flaw: When consumed by passion, I act without thinking.
Oct 25, 2015 9:07 pm
Update -- it'll be quite a bit later today before I'll be done - possibly into tomorrow/Tue. Got invited last minute to an MLS game, and one doesn't pass on free Sounders tickets.
Oct 26, 2015 6:43 am
I've inserted numbers in the quoted section below, so I can reference them in my answers.
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
For background I took a little bit here and a little bit there. I'm calling it Sailor / Slave Soldier / Planar Exile.

1. I almost gave him proficiency with Navigator's tools but I hesitate because while he used similar tools routinely on his home world the stars are completely different where he is now.

2. I couldn't come up with a Background Feature that works. None of the PHB ones seemed to fit. Help?

Stormborn sorcerous origin is from Unearthed Arcana Waterborne Adventures.

Spell selection is obviously not done yet. I have too many listed currently. Will fix that.

3. Am I correct in assuming that spells from Elemental Evil are allowed?

I did a couple of things to add to the AD&D feel: First, I rolled for starting wealth and bought everything myself (attached the dice roll to my first post on this thread).
4. Second, I will be casting using material spell components. It sure complicates things but that's the way I remember we did it back in the day hehe! Besides, it's a fun kind of headache. :-D
1: I have a number of ideas for tools that might appeal to you.
A: You have shipwright tools from your home plane, which you kept as a memento. But on your home plane, ships were crafted from rock, so what you effectively have is artisan's tools (masonry).
B: You have navigation tools from your home plane, which is effectively a magical compass which always points to the Royal Hatchery. On this plane, the compass always points to the gate leading back home, which is situated in the capitol city of the Empire which enslaved you. You've learned to adapt, given that the direction is constant. So rather than "north," you navigate by "Home."
C: Choose another extra-planar race which was used by the opposing army to fight you: modrons, githyanki, rakshasas, demons... You have an enemy detector as your tool; a gem ensorcelled to detect the presence of that kind of extraplanar creature, and you are skilled in its use.

2. Background features are all about shelter. Background feature: Survivor Camaraderie. The effects of the war were wide-reaching, and refugees from the war are found all over this part of the world. Other survivors will recognize you and will do what they can to provide comfort to you and your companions, out of a sympathetic experience of the horrors of the war. You are likely to receive food and lodging from other survivors. When you first enter a new region, you may know of another veteran (freed slave) who went to live in the area.

3. Well...a lot of EE is pretty ridiculous. I wouldn't allow the player races, for instance. But talk to me about the spells you're thinking about. Some of them are fine, and others I'd want to adjust slightly for balance and/or sense. Catapult, for instance: I might allow catapult if the missile actually has to arc to an apex and then drop on a target in order to deal that 3d8 damage. That seems completely reasonable for a battlefield artilleryman like Thacogygax, but the idea of using it at close range (which it allows you to do as written) seems counter to the spirit of the spell.

4. I certainly hope everyone will be using material components! That's base rules, not an optional variant. Luckily, most first-level spells do not consume the components, their presence is simply required. So a caster with identify only needs one 100 gold value pearl and one owl feather to cast a lifetime of identify spells, not a separate set of pearl&feather for every use of the spell (however, actually consuming the components becomes a lot more common in higher-level spells). Luckily, the adventure provides a preposterous amount of treasure (enough that transporting it becomes a resource issue, even without the variant encumbrance rules), as is typical for AD&D adventures, so even if PCs can't afford all the components of all the spells at first, they will soon be able to buy them all and more...in Hochoch, if they can't find a well-stocked shop closer to Orlane.
Oct 26, 2015 10:06 am
1. I love all of these, but I think I'll go for the foe detector gem. Funny, I actually had the githyanki in mind as enslavers when I was imagining Thacogygax's story. Although rakshasas would be cool, too! I magine the slave soldiers weren't bound with physical chains but their minds were shackled by these masters.

2. I did notice that all the Background Features had to do with shelter, but what I was about to suggest was the complete opposite of what you posted.
Quote:
Background Feature: Outsider. Thacogygax can never find a place to sleep. There's something strange about him that people can't put their finger on. People don't treat him with open hostility, nor even really distrust him, but for reasons no one can explain (or admit to) nobody wants him around for very long.
Too gimpy? I actually like Survivor Camaraderie a lot but in my mind the survivors are few and too scattered for encounters amongst themselves. Outsider plays up Thacogygax's loneliness and longing for a place to belong (see his ideals and bonds). I'd love to hear more of your thoughts on this (I mean everyone, not just spaceseeker).

3. As it happens I was looking at Catapult! :-D Your changes are reasonable though. Other EE spells I'm interested in are Frostbite, Gust, Thunderclap, and Ice Knife. I was looking at my spell selections and though I have'nt pared it down yet I notice there's a huge bias towards offensive spells. Then again, a living breathing weapon of war does not learn utility spells. On the other hand, Thaccogygax already had magical ability before the war so maybe it makes sense to have some utility cantrips. Mending and Mage Hand to assist him while ship-building, maybe?

4. I would like for Thacogygax to know Chromatic Orb but I don't have enough money for the diamond worth at least 50 gp unless that can be my foe detector gem :-D
Last edited October 26, 2015 10:07 am
Oct 26, 2015 10:15 am
Background Features are normally features, but I mean, on the other hand, I usually put in place rules to ENCOURAGE players to do suboptimal things that are 'in character' and to use their background to introduce set backs and complications to the game (that's one way my face to face group can earn Inspiration from me - by introducing a story set back or complication). So, I'm happy with your background "feature" being a hindrance :)

You could always *know* Chromatic Orb, but not be able to cast it yet (because you lack the component).
Oct 26, 2015 2:59 pm
I like the outsider background, too. Perhaps he was well-liked in his home plane, but here it's almost the opposite.

I like the idea of the cantrips being his tie to his profession, and the leveled spells the things he learned for war.

Chromatic orb: the gem had been supplied by his oppressor/masters, and it's something he threw away when he was freed, swearing he'd never do that again. But he's found himself regretting that decision since then...
Oct 26, 2015 3:52 pm
I didn't realize we were having to pay for spell components. Generally the Component Pouch (PHB 150) is considered to have all components that don't have a listed cost in the PHB.

And also the storm sorcerer has been officially released under the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide as well if you want the stats for the final version? If so I can list it out here :)
Last edited October 26, 2015 3:55 pm
Oct 26, 2015 4:36 pm
You're right - if the spell description doesn't mention a cost of an item, it's covered by having a spell component pouch.

Yes, I'd like the Sword Coast info.
Oct 26, 2015 5:54 pm
Wind Speaker
The arcane magic you command is infused with elemental air. You can speak, read, and write primordial. Knowing this language allows you to understand and be understood by those who speak its dialects: Aquan, Auran, Ignan, and Terran.

Tempestuous Magic
Starting at 1st level, you can use a bonus action on your turn to cause whirling gusts of elemental air to briefly surround you, immediately before or after you cast a spell of 1st level or higher. Doing so allows you to fly up to 10 feet without provoking opportunity attacks.

Heart of the Storm
At 6th level, you gain resistance to lightning and thunder damage. In addition, whenever you start casting a spell of 1st level or higher that deals lightning or thunder damage, stormy magic erupts from you. This eruption causes creatures of your choice that you can see within 10 feet of you to take lightning or thunder damage (choose each time this ability activates) equal to half your sorcerer level.

Storm Guide
At 6th level, you gain the ability to subtly control the weather around you.
If it is raining, you can sue an action to cause the rain to stop falling in a 20-foot-radius sphere centered on you. You can end this effect as a bonus action.
If it is windy, you can use a bonus action each round to choose the direction that the wind blows in a 100-foot-radius sphere centered on you. The wind blows in that direction until the end of your next turn. This feature doesn't alter the speed of the wind.

Storm's Fury
Starting at 14th level, when you are hit my a melee attack, you can user your reaction to deal lightning damage to the attacker. The damage equals your sorcerer level. The attacker must also make a Strength saving throw against your sorcerer spell save DC. On a failed save, the attacker is pushed in a straight line up to 20 feet away from you.

Wind Soul
At 18th level, you gain immunity to lightning and thunder damage.
You also gain a magical flying speed of 60 feet. As an action you can reduce your flying speed to 30 feet for 1 hour and choose a number of creatures within 30 feet of you equal to 3 + your Charisma modifier. The chosen creatures gain a magical flying speed of 30 feet for 1 hour. Once you reduce your flying speed in this way, you can't do so again until you finish a long rest.
Oct 27, 2015 12:32 am
Other than some wording changes that doesn't seem to be anything different from what's in UA Waterborne Adventures
Oct 27, 2015 12:44 am
Except the fact that it doesn't grant any bonus spells
Oct 27, 2015 1:25 am
Naatkinson says:
You're right! Can I use the UA version then, Spaceseeker?
Oct 27, 2015 2:01 am
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
Naatkinson says:
You're right! Can I use the UA version then, Spaceseeker?
I know, I kind of feel like ALL of the origins should have some pre-set spells for them... including the ones in the PHB. Sorcerers don't have enough spells IMO
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.