Character creation

Oct 22, 2015 4:20 pm
Please roll up and discuss your characters in this thread. Roll 4d6 six times, taking the best 3 on each roll for your attributes, then assign each number to the stat of your choice. We're not using the alternative human rules, so humans get +1 to all attributes. We are not using feats, just class features. Let me know if there's a race or class in Unearthed Arcana that you'd like to play; otherwise, please use a race and class from the Player's Handbook.

Languages
When you are determining languages, consider that there are three human languages that might be useful in the region: Keolish (primary language in Hochoch and the rest of the kingdom), Marchian (primary language of the various March countries), and Imperial (the language of the ancient conquerors, still understood by most people). If there is a common language throughout the world, it's Imperial. But for the starting town of Hochoch, they'll speak Keolish as their primary language, Imperial and non-human race languages secondary, and will understand Marchian and speak it in heavy accents.

Edit: I like to use a Motivations mechanic for characters in my campaigns, but here it is optional. I encourage you to consider using it, but you do not have to do so.

Motivations
In addition to the character's background, trait, ideal, bond, and flaw, your character has a relationship with an NPC that provides a motivation to be adventuring. Choose one or roll a d6 to determine your motivation from this list.

MOTIVATION
1 – Love
2 – Revenge
3 – Ambition
4 – Greed
5 – Fear
6 – Compulsion

Having determined motivation, it's up to you to name the NPC and provide further details about your relationship and how it provides that motivation for your character. For instance, here's two examples of Fear motivations:

Example A: Your family has a history of a rare and ultimately fatal congenital disease called Dianthronitis; one of your parents died of the disease, while the other parent was journeying to find a cure. That parent has never returned, and now you have started to exhibit signs of the disease. Your local cleric, Henrad Polivate, has conducted research for years, trying to find a cure. He's consulted ancient tomes and contacted various other experts in healing, and finally found lore that suggests a possible rare series of rituals, prayers, and ceremonies which will ultimately create a potion to cure the Dianthronitis. But the ingredients of the potion are exceedingly rare; you must quest to find the ingredients and/or earn the excessive amount of money to purchase them.

Example B: The local crime boss, Amberan Daruli, has identified you as a threat to his control of the community. To eliminate you, he has abducted your child and holds it hostage, forcing you to leave the town and never come back, while sending back regular payments of money to keep your child alive.

Edit 2 (2023):
Here's the current party composition, with active characters in green, and characters who are staying in Hochoch in blue.
Name Level Race Class Background
Aanbo Earthshaker L1 Dwarf Monk Hermit
Ogbar L1 Human Barbarian Outlander
Xana Beren L1 Gnome Warlock Charlatan
Albertus L1 Human Paladin Soldier
Kragga Moonweaver L1 Half-orc Wizard Acolyte
Joseph Nimblefingers L1 Halfling Rogue Folk Hero
Theran Nailo L1 Elf Druid Haunted One
Durren L1 Human Fighter Outlander
Klak L1 Dwarven Paladin Acolyte
Morgran L1 Dwarven Cleric Pirate
Quest L1 Human Mystic Sage
Sara Stone L1 Human Ranger Hermit
Thacogygax L1 Dragonborn Sorcerer Far Traveler[/color]
Oct 22, 2015 4:31 pm
Stats!

Dice Gods have mercy!!!

Edit: 13, 9, 12, 14, 7, 9

Edit: OUCH, i can never seem to roll well on here

Edit: Gonna be human, so stats will go to 14, 10, 13, 15, 8, 10
Last edited October 22, 2015 4:38 pm

Rolls

Stats - (4d6)

(6125) = 14

Stats - (4d6)

(1225) = 10

Stats - (4d6)

(1516) = 13

Stats - (4d6)

(3156) = 15

Stats - (4d6)

(1133) = 8

Stats - (4d6)

(2251) = 10

Oct 22, 2015 4:42 pm
Going to be a Barbarian!
Oct 22, 2015 5:10 pm
Stat rolls...

Edit: After dropping lowest die: 10, 13, 13, 13, 15, 15.

I'm creating a Hill Dwarf Monk!
STR: 13
DEX: 15
CON: 15 (13 +2 Dwarf trait)
INT: 13
WIS: 16 (15 +1 Hill Dwarf trait)
CHA: 10

Did I read the PHB correctly on dwarf ability score increases?

More details to follow!
Last edited October 22, 2015 5:21 pm

Rolls

Stat - (4d6)

(1433) = 11

Stat - (4d6)

(1445) = 14

Stat - (4d6)

(6521) = 14

Stat - (4d6)

(3553) = 16

Stat - (4d6)

(3166) = 16

Stat - (4d6)

(4516) = 16

Oct 22, 2015 5:14 pm
*tapping on wood, pulling my ear twice, blowing on dice while I shake 'em. Praying to all the gods of Faerun, Greyhawk, and Krynn. Oh, and Cthulhu!*

Results after dropping lowest: 11, 13, 9, 14, 17, 11
Last edited October 22, 2015 6:40 pm

Rolls

Stat rolls - (4d6, 4d6, 4d6, 4d6, 4d6, 4d6)

4d6 : (4134) = 12

4d6 : (2651) = 14

4d6 : (5221) = 10

4d6 : (5541) = 15

4d6 : (5663) = 20

4d6 : (2613) = 12

Starting wealth [Sorcerer = 3d4 x 10] - (3d4)

(441) = 9

Oct 22, 2015 5:18 pm
Wow, those are some good rolls for both of you!

Ugh! I swear I have the lowest stats in EVERY campaign I'm playing in!

Oh well, them's the dice gods for you lol
Oct 22, 2015 6:20 pm
Aanbo Earthshaker joined the Earthshaker Temple as an orphan (initiates receive the surname of the Order as part of their acceptance into the brotherhood). This monastic order was born out of the belief that by achieving greater attunement to earth, stone, and metal leads to a greater understanding of the world. Of course, over time the monastery developed a life on its own, and in the current day many of its disciples meditate on the tenets of earth and geology, and train in unarmed combat as a way of honing their minds and bodies.

Aanbo was studious to some degree, but he rather enjoyed spending time with his brother Foonbo, who was another orphan initiated at the same time. Foonbo was a rebellious sort, inclined for mischievous pranks and for asserting his own dominance. The two were fast friends, with Aanbo looking up to the older Foonbo as a true big brother.

Foonbo's temperament eventually got the two brothers into trouble, when during a test of combat, Foonbo killed another competitor in anger. As the other monks combined to capture Foonbo, Aanbo's own feelings of watching his brother being attacked overrode his discipline, and he leapt to his brother's defense. The two severely injured many others before they were both restrained and allowed to calm.

The monks ordered the two into exile. They had to each come to terms with their actions in the outside world, and once they had found inner peace and a renewed calling, they would be allowed to return. Until then, the temple was off-limits. Foonbo and Aanbo wandered the world for a while, but eventually they parted ways for reasons that Aanbo does not reveal.

Aanbo scraped a humble existence, using his monastic knowledge to help others whenever he could. He found a notice calling for membership in a group called Dungeon Busters, individuals willing to provide assistance to those in need. Aanbo sought out Cecily Raptor to inquire, and hoped that this would lead down a path towards personal enlightenment.

http://orig10.deviantart.net/745a/f/2010/129/e/e/___monk____by_roblfc1892.jpg
Oct 22, 2015 6:35 pm
CancerMan: you are correct with the Hill Dwarf attribute bonuses. Your great backstory involving Foonbo reminded me of a mechanic I use for my D&D5 campaigns, but which I was waffling about using here.

The solution is simple: make it optional, and tell you all about it!

Accordingly, I have edited my initial post to include information about the optional "Motivations" mechanic, which requires you to create and detail an NPC who provides motivation to your character for adventuring. This is optional, and would be in addition to the motivation you have as contractors for Dungeon Busters.
Oct 22, 2015 6:41 pm
Rolling personality/Background!

Drawn from Outlander tables

Rolls

Background! - (1d8, 1d8, 1d6, 1d6, 1d6, 1d6)

1d8 : (7) = 7

1d8 : (1) = 1

1d6 : (5) = 5

1d6 : (1) = 1

1d6 : (6) = 6

1d6 : (1) = 1

Oct 22, 2015 7:09 pm
Ogbar is a barbarian from the Tribe of the Frozen Blood in the far north. His father, the great warrior Barragar Hordebreaker, raised him to be a powerful warrior, one of the most promising in the tribe. Shortly after his 20th birthday he fell in love with Olga, a handsome woman 2 years his junior. The chieftain, Grognak Bearthumper, has claimed Olga as his betrothed and the only way for Ogbar to challenge his right to take Olga as his bride is for him to challenge Grognak to single combat for leadership of the tribe.

Ogbar, knowing that he has no grounds to make that challenge - by blood or by deed - has left to make his name and to make himself worthy of the challenge. He has a few years, during which a betrothal period must be completed before the marriage, to earn the ability to make that challenge.
Oct 22, 2015 8:00 pm
This is the first game I've played without feats, should be interesting

Edit: Rolling for trinket

Edit: Trinket - A brass ring that never tarnishes
Last edited October 22, 2015 9:22 pm

Rolls

trinket - (1d100)

(5) = 5

Oct 22, 2015 9:31 pm
Rolling for stats...
Not bad...15, 14, 13, 12, 12, 8.
I think I can work with that. Iwill consider my options.
Last edited October 22, 2015 9:41 pm

Rolls

1 - (4d6)

(4235) = 14

2 - (4d6)

(4515) = 15

3 - (4d6)

(3551) = 14

4 - (4d6)

(1224) = 9

5 - (4d6)

(5624) = 17

6 - (4d6)

(2543) = 14

Oct 22, 2015 9:44 pm
Glad to see you back, foolsmask! It's been a while! :-)
Oct 22, 2015 10:13 pm
Suggestions:
Aanbo's trinket might be a tome detailing the saga of Gord the Rogue, but it's missing the climactic chapter. It was a very popular folk story from a couple of centuries ago.
Ogbar's trophy might be the tusk of a walrus, carved into some scrimshaw, or perhaps a wolf paw he wears around his neck.
Oct 22, 2015 10:17 pm
Roll for stats... and drop lowest:

12, 12, 15, 12, 12, 15

Well isn't that.. interesting
Last edited October 22, 2015 10:19 pm

Rolls

Stats 1 - (4d6)

(2633) = 14

Stats 2 - (4d6)

(2461) = 13

Stats 3 - (4d6)

(1636) = 16

Stats 4 - (4d6)

(3453) = 15

Stats 5 - (4d6)

(3425) = 14

Stats 6 - (4d6)

(6435) = 18

Oct 22, 2015 10:53 pm
Hi Jabes...yeah I couldn't stay away. I'm going to try this again.

Question for Spaceseeker19: Has anyone expressed interest in the Mystic from Unearthed Arcana? It intrigues me, but I'm not sold yet. I'd probably play half-elf I think.
Oct 22, 2015 11:32 pm
Roll for stats and drop the lowest!

My stats: 10, 6, 14, 13, 9, 13

I've been visited by Naatkinson it seems. ;)
Last edited October 22, 2015 11:34 pm

Rolls

4d6

(4233) = 12

4d6

(2311) = 7

4d6

(6216) = 15

4d6

(5612) = 14

4d6

(3224) = 11

4d6

(1553) = 14

Oct 23, 2015 12:11 am
falryx says:

Yay! I'm not alone!
Oct 23, 2015 1:21 am
Naatkinson says:
falryx says:

Yay! I'm not alone!
*Shakes fist*
Oct 23, 2015 1:22 am
Hrm. I think with my stats a wisdom-based class isn't a great idea. Best I can do is get something to 15 with racial bonuses. So.. hum! I'll noodle around on class. Perhaps a well-meaning but not overly bright paladin...
Oct 23, 2015 4:14 am
Note that there are three human languages that might be useful in the region: Keolish (primary language in Hochoch and the rest of the kingdom), Marchian (primary language of the various March countries), and Imperial (the language of the ancient conquerors, still understood by most people). If there is a common language throughout the world, it's Imperial. But for the starting town of Hochoch, they'll speak Keolish as primary language, Imperial and non-human race languages secondary, and will understand Marchian and speak it in heavy accents.
Oct 23, 2015 4:36 am
So is the equivelant to Common is Keolish or Imperial?
Oct 23, 2015 5:50 am
Either. Native tongue is Keolish, but all know Imperial. Think of it this way: if you're a local, it'd be Keolish. If you're from outside Keoland, it'd be Imperial.
Oct 23, 2015 6:38 am
foolsmask says:

Question for Spaceseeker19: Has anyone expressed interest in the Mystic from Unearthed Arcana? It intrigues me, but I'm not sold yet. I'd probably play half-elf I think.
Half-elf Mystic is fine; I'm interested in it, too. It took me a while to respond, because I hadn't seen the article until you'd mentioned it here and I had to read it. Here's the Unearthed Arcana with psionics (so other people can read it).

Are you thinking Awakened, or Immortal?
Oct 23, 2015 6:44 am
Sorry, should have provided a link. I'm going with Awakend Mind. While I like both, I like the storytelling options that an Awakened Mind provides. Immortal is to combat focused.

Another question, they left starting gold out of the article. So what should I do for that? The average for the twelve base classes is 4d4x10...sound good?
Last edited October 23, 2015 7:00 am
Oct 23, 2015 8:10 am
Psionics! That's cool, I really should keep up with Unearthed Arcana.

What are your thoughts on trying out the alternate ranger in UA?

Rangers have often caught my eye, but I often find myself then immediately drawn to Fighter or Druid depending on why Ranger caught my eye in the first place. This approach to ranger seems to offer something properly different from both.
Last edited October 23, 2015 8:11 am
Oct 23, 2015 8:36 am
I would love for you to play the UA ranger variant!
Oct 23, 2015 9:22 am
I love that new ranger variant! I play one in another game here. He hasn't seen much action yet but I'm really looking forward to it! :-)

For myself, in my 30+ years of gaming I've never played a full caster (more accurately, I hadn't until I joined GP - I now play a 13th Age Chaos Mage and a 5e Warlock but neither have seen too much action) so I'm considering playing a blue dragonborn sorcerer here. Draconic Bloodline or Stormborn. It looks like Wild Magic might be fun but doesn't fit my concept. Draconic bloodline fits perfectly but some features seem wasted because of redundancy with racial traits (duh). Stormborn seems nice and fits thematically, which is always my primary consideration. We'll see.

The concept is this: PC is a victim of racism - dragonborn were forcibly conscripted into a conquering army as slave soldiers / cannon fodder. Except that with his magical powers he along with similar others were turned into walking cannons themselves. Ultimately this army lost in another war and the slaves freed. But by then there was no going back to previous lives. Home was destroyed or lost (on another plane, maybe). I'm still deciding. PC is either trying to get home (motivated by love), or just a wanderer motivated by curiosity, a sense of adventure, or greed.

I'm trying to come up with a good background for this guy. Soldier as it is in the PHB doesn't work for me. Any suggestions given the concept I've described?
Last edited October 23, 2015 10:03 am
Oct 23, 2015 9:48 am
Sara Stone is submitted! Now to come up with a backstory..
Oct 23, 2015 12:18 pm
@Jabes: What about Folk Hero? Maybe your character was part of a squad and you fought for your freedom alongside some locals. Unable to return to the home you knew, you followed your comrades here and are making a go at this Dungeon Buster gig until you have the means to head home. Or Outlander makes sense as well, the story could be the same, but you play up your exotic origins rather than the heroic deed. Just some thoughts.
Oct 23, 2015 3:19 pm
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
The concept is this: PC is a victim of racism - dragonborn were forcibly conscripted into a conquering army as slave soldiers / cannon fodder. Except that with his magical powers he along with similar others were turned into walking cannons themselves. Ultimately this army lost in another war and the slaves freed. But by then there was no going back to previous lives. Home was destroyed or lost (on another plane, maybe). I'm still deciding. PC is either trying to get home (motivated by love), or just a wanderer motivated by curiosity, a sense of adventure, or greed.

I'm trying to come up with a good background for this guy. Soldier as it is in the PHB doesn't work for me. Any suggestions given the concept I've described?
I like foolsmask's suggestions. In addition, you might consider rolling a random background (1d13) to determine what you were BEFORE being enslaved, and use that for your personality, ideal, and bond, while using one of the flaws from the soldier list. That would represent that your base self was determined by your life before the war, but that the war and slavery scarred you, naturally. Sometimes I find that my character concept works better if I pick personality, ideal, bond, and flaw from different backgrounds.

As a slight tweak on that idea, you could consider a bond with regards to another character in the party; perhaps that person has helped you in some way, given that you can't return home and are probably pretty lost in this region/on this plane.

If you're going really alien, perhaps the dragonborn culture of origin doesn't recognize the method of your freedom, and you're looking to complete a period of indentured servitude for one of the other PCs (who naturally doesn't understand), or to complete the ritualistic nature of a societally normal period of the slavery. Perhaps, for these alien dragonborn, a period of servitude and battle is part of a passage to adulthood, and to complete it, you need someone who has been witness to your good service to return with you to your plane and give ritual testimony. Service is a period of everyone's life, back home, but out here on the material plane, you have been the butt of abuse and racism, which is bewildering as well as terrible.

Finally, you could always come up with your own flaws. For instance, here's a suggested list of some things that might be on a flaw table, for someone who's been a slave to a brutal, conquering army:
1 - I have a strong fear/hatred for the race of my former "owners" and/or the enemies during the war.
2 - I find it hard not to obey anyone of the class or race of my former "master."
3 - I've come to believe that the only value I have is as a rampaging engine of destruction.
4 - I'll do anything to curry favor and avoid anticipated punishment.
5 - I react violently in any situation that reminds me of the war.
6 - I have developed a crippling empathy to anyone downtrodden.
Oct 23, 2015 3:42 pm
If anyone wants to latch onto my Dwarven Monk as a background hook before joining DB, feel free. I deliberately left some wandering time between exile and adventure for that purpose. My character would gladly sacrifice his time and comfort in order to help someone else, particularly if they're in need.
Oct 23, 2015 3:56 pm
I'd also like to have some sort of link to another player if someone has any ideas. Previous links make it a bit easier to justify staying together :)
Oct 23, 2015 4:05 pm
I like these ideas a lot! I might take you up on your offer, CancerMan. From what you've written about Aanbo and his quest for inner peace it sounds like he would be the perfect conpanion for a war-scarred former slave in search of a new purpose.

Thanks for the input, everyone! It's a working weekend for me as usual but 'll try to flesh the character out before Monday.
Oct 23, 2015 4:42 pm
I plan to plug away over the weekend on backstory, but I too like linking up to other characters. It'd be nice to have a bond with one character, and to have met one other character before.

So far, for Sara, I'm thinking she's had a rather quiet life (for a forest paladin). Being half-elven, she wasn't really well treated as she grew up by peers or the folk in her town. Spent a lot of time in the woods by herself 'pretending to be a hero' and saving squirrels and other harmless creatures from 'certain doom!". Something happened to make her alone (parents died in a bandit raid on the town?), and she felt 'called' to the forest. She took what she could carry from her home, and started her life in the woods. She lived many years happily caring for the forest, learning from it, and becoming one with the natural world. Then something called her to leave. Perhaps it was an event (a natural disaster like a forest fire), or maybe it was just a strong feeling (and an act of faith).
Oct 23, 2015 10:18 pm
I love these discussions, and working on making connections. To assist that, I like to periodically recap what has come before.

So far, we have:
* Sara Stone, the half-elf forest ranger (UA variant) outlander (Candi)
* Aanbo, the dwarven monk hermit (CancerMan)
* Ogbar, the human barbarian outlander (Naatkinson)
* possibly:a dragonborn sorceror (Jabes.plays.RPG)
* possibly: a mystic of the Awakened Mind (UA class) (foolsmask)
* possibly: a paladin (falryx)
* (Biscuitfiend)
Oct 23, 2015 10:20 pm
foolsmask says:

Another question, they left starting gold out of the article. So what should I do for that? The average for the twelve base classes is 4d4x10...sound good?
Starting money is provided with the character background, not the class. What background were you thinking of playing?
Oct 23, 2015 10:59 pm
Here goes:
13 14 11 14 7 17

Hill dwarf Tempest Cleric, Acolyte background:
Str13 dex14 con16 int11 wis18 cha7
Last edited October 23, 2015 11:24 pm

Rolls

Stats - (4d6, 4d6, 4d6, 4d6, 4d6, 4d6)

4d6 : (2355) = 15

4d6 : (3256) = 16

4d6 : (3144) = 12

4d6 : (6335) = 17

4d6 : (1151) = 8

4d6 : (6365) = 20

Motivation - (1d6)

(1) = 1

Oct 24, 2015 2:29 am
Oh...I see. In the past there was starting gold. Now it is consumed by the Background and Class starting equipment. I was thrown off by the presence of the table on page 143 of the PHB that lists starting gold by class like old additions used to use. I guess the other games I've played either made the same assumption or were just generous.

I am going with the Entertainer background. So I am all set. My bad.
Last edited October 24, 2015 2:31 am
Oct 24, 2015 6:34 am
Biscuitfiend says:
Hill dwarf Tempest Cleric, Acolyte background
Ooh. Tempest domain! Will work well with my Storm Sorcerer! :-)
Oct 24, 2015 7:33 am
Ok,so here we go. Quest Damoran, half-elf Mystic.

Quest was born and raised in the capital city of Keoland and to a rather successful silk merchant, herself a half-elf. His father passed away before Quest could form significant memories of him. His mother always told Quest that his father had been a good and kind man who loved his only son very much, but Quest could never shake the dark shadow that sent shivers down his spine when he thought of the man.
As he grew, Quest proved to be quite a talented entertainer. He displayed a nearly preternatural gift to anticipate his audience’s requests. This garnered him many fans, many of whom sought...more intimate performances. One lovely young woman became quite enamoured with Quest and booked him as often as she could. She went by the name Cadelia. and claimed to be of minor nobility. At first the affair was fun, Cadelia took care of Quest’s every desire. It was flattering to have the beautiful young woman pursuing him so adamantly. Soon however she became...possessive.
Quest found another patron, a mature elven woman named Mironund. Their relationship was much more of a learning experience for Quest. The older woman taught Quest that his view of the world was limited. She opened his mind to new ideas and convinced him he was destined for more. When Cadelia found out that Quest had another woman, she began to leverage her influence against them. Mironund offered to take Quest away from the city, but he was hesitant to leave his life behind.
Some time later, Quest found himself truly on the ropes. No one was willing to hire him and even his mother’s business was suffering thanks to Cadelia’s actions. He sought her out and managed to confront her. The argument grew heated, but before it could truly erupt, the creature crawled out of the sewer. It defied description, it was at once fluid and graceful, but shambled and writhed uncontrollably. It’s cry was like a soul burning in the deepest pit of hell, and as seductive as a lover’s whisper.
The mysterious appearance of Mironund is the only thing that saved Quest and Cadelia from being devoured. The next day, all Quest could remember was seeing a shadow, the same shadow that haunted his memory of his father. Quest questioned his mother about the connection and she confessed that there had been a prior incident. A monster attacked Quest and his father when Quest was an infant. They both survived miraculously, but Quests father was changed by the attack. He couldn’t sleep, he saw monsters in every shadow, he claimed to hear voices, and in the end he took his own life.
Two days after the attack, Quest woke up to a cacophony of voices, but no one was talking. He was hearing the thoughts of everyone in the city. Mironund was summoned and she managed to help Quest quiet the voices for a time. Mironund explained that Quest’s mind was awakening to new threats to the world. It was this awakening that drew the monster to him. Quest decided he had to leave the city and learn more about what was happening to him. Mironund agreed to mentor Quest. They spent years traveling the country teaching Quest how to control his gifts. Eventually they met Cecily Raptor. Quest was quickly swept up in the plan. Mironund had her misgivings but agreed to stay close, so that Quest could come to her when needed.

So, that got a little longer than I wanted but, that's what I got. There is plenty of room to have our characters meet prior to the start of our official story.
Oct 24, 2015 9:04 am
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
Biscuitfiend says:
Hill dwarf Tempest Cleric, Acolyte background
Ooh. Tempest domain! Will work well with my Storm Sorcerer! :-)
I'm not sure he wants to work with anyone, unless good food abounds!
Oct 24, 2015 6:22 pm
foolsmask says:
Oh...I see. In the past there was starting gold. Now it is consumed by the Background and Class starting equipment. I was thrown off by the presence of the table on page 143 of the PHB that lists starting gold by class like old additions used to use. I guess the other games I've played either made the same assumption or were just generous.

I am going with the Entertainer background. So I am all set. My bad.
No, please don't apologize: you're right - the table provides starting wealth for characters who don't take starting equipment for class and background. I'd just never paid attention to that table (and had forgotten about it), because I've never had players who wanted to do all the shopping. If you want to buy all your gear, you may do so as a Mystic with 4d4x10 GP (that's me, choosing the conservative number).
Oct 24, 2015 8:41 pm
I should have a character generated tomorrow and submitted. I'm still thinking of a paladin -- possibly a dwarven one.
Oct 24, 2015 8:49 pm
Great! I look forward to it.
Oct 25, 2015 7:03 pm
http://i.imgur.com/Lg7eXn2.jpg

Thacogygax
Dragonborn Storm Sorcerer

On his home world Thacogygax was a shipwright, a sailor, and an amateur astronomer. That world was torn apart when a conquering army destroyed his home and enslaved his people. All their kind were forcibly conscripted into this army as slave soldiers - cannon fodder. Except that with his innate magical powers Thacogygax along with similar others were turned into walking cannons themselves. Ultimately this army lost in another war and what few surviving were slaves freed. But by then there was no going back to previous lives. They were lost in a world not their own. Though some were able to build new lives and a place to belong but most wander alone, still lost, still searching for purpose, for belonging. In his travels Thacogygax found a companion in Aanbo Earthshaker, a travelling monk in on a quest of his own. Now they travel to join Cecily Raptor’s guild of adventurers. Perhaps Thacogygax will finally find a new purpose.

Thacogygax is not of this world but he resembles a dragonborn of blue ancestry. Members of that race seem to accept him well enough. If he were to converse in draconic it would be with an unusual accent and archaic speech pattern. His command of the language of the realm is slightly worse.

Trait: I have little practical experience dealing with people from this world.
Ideal: Belonging: I need to find myself a place to belong.
Ideal: Freedom. All slaves must be freed - by law, by coin, by shadow, or by blade.
Bond: My friends are all I have now, I would gladly die for them than be alone again.
Flaw: I've come to believe that the only value I have is as a rampaging engine of destruction.
Character sheet submitted but I've some tweaking left to do.

For background I took a little bit here and a little bit there. I'm calling it Sailor / Slave Soldier / Planar Exile. I almost gave him proficiency with Navigator's tools but I hesitate because while he used similar tools routinely on his home world the stars are completely different where he is now.

I couldn't come up with a Background Feature that works. None of the PHB ones seemed to fit. Help?

Stormborn sorcerous origin is from Unearthed Arcana Waterborne Adventures.

Spell selection is obviously not done yet. I have too many listed currently. Will fix that. Am I correct in assuming that spells from Elemental Evil are allowed?

I did a couple of things to add to the AD&D feel: First, I rolled for starting wealth and bought everything myself (attached the dice roll to my first post on this thread). Second, I will be casting using material spell components. It sure complicates things but that's the way I remember we did it back in the day hehe! Besides, it's a fun kind of headache. :-D

Am I missing anything?
Last edited October 25, 2015 7:35 pm
Oct 25, 2015 7:23 pm
Nice!

More details on Sara as well:

Trait: Odd. I daydream, make little artful constructions out of natural 'junk' and do awkward things that others interpret as cries for attention or an effort to stand out. Really, I'm just expressing myself.
Ideal: Nature's Guardian. The natural world must be preserved, and human corruption of nature is not sustainable.
Ideal: Freedom. No living creature should be bound by bonds of any kind.
Bond: I stand by those who I trust, and would sacrifice almost anything to protect those I love.
Flaw: When consumed by passion, I act without thinking.
Oct 25, 2015 9:07 pm
Update -- it'll be quite a bit later today before I'll be done - possibly into tomorrow/Tue. Got invited last minute to an MLS game, and one doesn't pass on free Sounders tickets.
Oct 26, 2015 6:43 am
I've inserted numbers in the quoted section below, so I can reference them in my answers.
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
For background I took a little bit here and a little bit there. I'm calling it Sailor / Slave Soldier / Planar Exile.

1. I almost gave him proficiency with Navigator's tools but I hesitate because while he used similar tools routinely on his home world the stars are completely different where he is now.

2. I couldn't come up with a Background Feature that works. None of the PHB ones seemed to fit. Help?

Stormborn sorcerous origin is from Unearthed Arcana Waterborne Adventures.

Spell selection is obviously not done yet. I have too many listed currently. Will fix that.

3. Am I correct in assuming that spells from Elemental Evil are allowed?

I did a couple of things to add to the AD&D feel: First, I rolled for starting wealth and bought everything myself (attached the dice roll to my first post on this thread).
4. Second, I will be casting using material spell components. It sure complicates things but that's the way I remember we did it back in the day hehe! Besides, it's a fun kind of headache. :-D
1: I have a number of ideas for tools that might appeal to you.
A: You have shipwright tools from your home plane, which you kept as a memento. But on your home plane, ships were crafted from rock, so what you effectively have is artisan's tools (masonry).
B: You have navigation tools from your home plane, which is effectively a magical compass which always points to the Royal Hatchery. On this plane, the compass always points to the gate leading back home, which is situated in the capitol city of the Empire which enslaved you. You've learned to adapt, given that the direction is constant. So rather than "north," you navigate by "Home."
C: Choose another extra-planar race which was used by the opposing army to fight you: modrons, githyanki, rakshasas, demons... You have an enemy detector as your tool; a gem ensorcelled to detect the presence of that kind of extraplanar creature, and you are skilled in its use.

2. Background features are all about shelter. Background feature: Survivor Camaraderie. The effects of the war were wide-reaching, and refugees from the war are found all over this part of the world. Other survivors will recognize you and will do what they can to provide comfort to you and your companions, out of a sympathetic experience of the horrors of the war. You are likely to receive food and lodging from other survivors. When you first enter a new region, you may know of another veteran (freed slave) who went to live in the area.

3. Well...a lot of EE is pretty ridiculous. I wouldn't allow the player races, for instance. But talk to me about the spells you're thinking about. Some of them are fine, and others I'd want to adjust slightly for balance and/or sense. Catapult, for instance: I might allow catapult if the missile actually has to arc to an apex and then drop on a target in order to deal that 3d8 damage. That seems completely reasonable for a battlefield artilleryman like Thacogygax, but the idea of using it at close range (which it allows you to do as written) seems counter to the spirit of the spell.

4. I certainly hope everyone will be using material components! That's base rules, not an optional variant. Luckily, most first-level spells do not consume the components, their presence is simply required. So a caster with identify only needs one 100 gold value pearl and one owl feather to cast a lifetime of identify spells, not a separate set of pearl&feather for every use of the spell (however, actually consuming the components becomes a lot more common in higher-level spells). Luckily, the adventure provides a preposterous amount of treasure (enough that transporting it becomes a resource issue, even without the variant encumbrance rules), as is typical for AD&D adventures, so even if PCs can't afford all the components of all the spells at first, they will soon be able to buy them all and more...in Hochoch, if they can't find a well-stocked shop closer to Orlane.
Oct 26, 2015 10:06 am
1. I love all of these, but I think I'll go for the foe detector gem. Funny, I actually had the githyanki in mind as enslavers when I was imagining Thacogygax's story. Although rakshasas would be cool, too! I magine the slave soldiers weren't bound with physical chains but their minds were shackled by these masters.

2. I did notice that all the Background Features had to do with shelter, but what I was about to suggest was the complete opposite of what you posted.
Quote:
Background Feature: Outsider. Thacogygax can never find a place to sleep. There's something strange about him that people can't put their finger on. People don't treat him with open hostility, nor even really distrust him, but for reasons no one can explain (or admit to) nobody wants him around for very long.
Too gimpy? I actually like Survivor Camaraderie a lot but in my mind the survivors are few and too scattered for encounters amongst themselves. Outsider plays up Thacogygax's loneliness and longing for a place to belong (see his ideals and bonds). I'd love to hear more of your thoughts on this (I mean everyone, not just spaceseeker).

3. As it happens I was looking at Catapult! :-D Your changes are reasonable though. Other EE spells I'm interested in are Frostbite, Gust, Thunderclap, and Ice Knife. I was looking at my spell selections and though I have'nt pared it down yet I notice there's a huge bias towards offensive spells. Then again, a living breathing weapon of war does not learn utility spells. On the other hand, Thaccogygax already had magical ability before the war so maybe it makes sense to have some utility cantrips. Mending and Mage Hand to assist him while ship-building, maybe?

4. I would like for Thacogygax to know Chromatic Orb but I don't have enough money for the diamond worth at least 50 gp unless that can be my foe detector gem :-D
Last edited October 26, 2015 10:07 am
Oct 26, 2015 10:15 am
Background Features are normally features, but I mean, on the other hand, I usually put in place rules to ENCOURAGE players to do suboptimal things that are 'in character' and to use their background to introduce set backs and complications to the game (that's one way my face to face group can earn Inspiration from me - by introducing a story set back or complication). So, I'm happy with your background "feature" being a hindrance :)

You could always *know* Chromatic Orb, but not be able to cast it yet (because you lack the component).
Oct 26, 2015 2:59 pm
I like the outsider background, too. Perhaps he was well-liked in his home plane, but here it's almost the opposite.

I like the idea of the cantrips being his tie to his profession, and the leveled spells the things he learned for war.

Chromatic orb: the gem had been supplied by his oppressor/masters, and it's something he threw away when he was freed, swearing he'd never do that again. But he's found himself regretting that decision since then...
Oct 26, 2015 3:52 pm
I didn't realize we were having to pay for spell components. Generally the Component Pouch (PHB 150) is considered to have all components that don't have a listed cost in the PHB.

And also the storm sorcerer has been officially released under the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide as well if you want the stats for the final version? If so I can list it out here :)
Last edited October 26, 2015 3:55 pm
Oct 26, 2015 4:36 pm
You're right - if the spell description doesn't mention a cost of an item, it's covered by having a spell component pouch.

Yes, I'd like the Sword Coast info.
Oct 26, 2015 5:54 pm
Wind Speaker
The arcane magic you command is infused with elemental air. You can speak, read, and write primordial. Knowing this language allows you to understand and be understood by those who speak its dialects: Aquan, Auran, Ignan, and Terran.

Tempestuous Magic
Starting at 1st level, you can use a bonus action on your turn to cause whirling gusts of elemental air to briefly surround you, immediately before or after you cast a spell of 1st level or higher. Doing so allows you to fly up to 10 feet without provoking opportunity attacks.

Heart of the Storm
At 6th level, you gain resistance to lightning and thunder damage. In addition, whenever you start casting a spell of 1st level or higher that deals lightning or thunder damage, stormy magic erupts from you. This eruption causes creatures of your choice that you can see within 10 feet of you to take lightning or thunder damage (choose each time this ability activates) equal to half your sorcerer level.

Storm Guide
At 6th level, you gain the ability to subtly control the weather around you.
If it is raining, you can sue an action to cause the rain to stop falling in a 20-foot-radius sphere centered on you. You can end this effect as a bonus action.
If it is windy, you can use a bonus action each round to choose the direction that the wind blows in a 100-foot-radius sphere centered on you. The wind blows in that direction until the end of your next turn. This feature doesn't alter the speed of the wind.

Storm's Fury
Starting at 14th level, when you are hit my a melee attack, you can user your reaction to deal lightning damage to the attacker. The damage equals your sorcerer level. The attacker must also make a Strength saving throw against your sorcerer spell save DC. On a failed save, the attacker is pushed in a straight line up to 20 feet away from you.

Wind Soul
At 18th level, you gain immunity to lightning and thunder damage.
You also gain a magical flying speed of 60 feet. As an action you can reduce your flying speed to 30 feet for 1 hour and choose a number of creatures within 30 feet of you equal to 3 + your Charisma modifier. The chosen creatures gain a magical flying speed of 30 feet for 1 hour. Once you reduce your flying speed in this way, you can't do so again until you finish a long rest.
Oct 27, 2015 12:32 am
Other than some wording changes that doesn't seem to be anything different from what's in UA Waterborne Adventures
Oct 27, 2015 12:44 am
Except the fact that it doesn't grant any bonus spells
Oct 27, 2015 1:25 am
Naatkinson says:
You're right! Can I use the UA version then, Spaceseeker?
Oct 27, 2015 2:01 am
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
Naatkinson says:
I know, I kind of feel like ALL of the origins should have some pre-set spells for them... including the ones in the PHB. Sorcerers don't have enough spells IMO
Oct 27, 2015 4:25 am
trying again -- I got something like 30 rolls out of that last attempt.

Rolls

Personality 1 - (1d8)

(1) = 1

Personality 2 - (1d8)

(8) = 8

Ideal - (1d6)

(5) = 5

Bond - (1d6)

(1) = 1

Flaw - (1d6)

(5) = 5

Motivation - (1d6)

(3) = 3

Oct 27, 2015 4:26 am
Taking the acolyte background, btw
Oct 27, 2015 4:56 am
Ok -- have the raw stats submitted and whatnot. Working on the backstory given how I rolled up the background and motivation.
Oct 27, 2015 5:15 am
Naatkinson says:
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
Naatkinson says:
I know, I kind of feel like ALL of the origins should have some pre-set spells for them... including the ones in the PHB. Sorcerers don't have enough spells IMO
That is weird! I didn't even notice they took the bonus spells away from Sorcerers. I figured that was why they only got 2 spells known at first level. That their origins would give them four total, vs the typical wizard has 4+ prepared at first level.
Oct 27, 2015 5:11 pm
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
Naatkinson says:
Yes, that's fine.
Oct 27, 2015 5:16 pm
foolsmask says:
Naatkinson says:
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
Naatkinson says:
That is weird! I didn't even notice they took the bonus spells away from Sorcerers. I figured that was why they only got 2 spells known at first level. That their origins would give them four total, vs the typical wizard has 4+ prepared at first level.
The new mechanic of Sorcery points is meant to help with extra spells -- but it doesn't kick in until level 2.
Oct 27, 2015 8:47 pm
Introducing Klak Jarnskjoldur:

Alas -- poor Klak. A member of Clan Ironshield -- or Jarnskjoldur in his native tongue. As a young dwarf he was -- as many dwarves can be -- enamoured of Clangeddin Silverbeard and became an acolyte of the god early on in his life. Unfortunately for Klak, his innate perception of the universe -- and ability to remember all those complex rituals was not up to the task. There are those in his clan who suggest that perhaps his mother may have spent a little too much time above ground cavorting with those guileless, but harmless and not particularly bright, halflings not far from the mountain. Like all children -- even Klak heard these mutterings and took them to heart -- giving rise to a mistrust of strangers -- of outsiders, especially to non-dwarves. The mistrust isn’t pathological, but Klak -- in his limited way -- cannot help but think that perhaps the strangers are siphoning off what little cleverness he has left. Either way, Klak was not destined to rise in the order as a cleric of Clangeddin.

Still, his strength and devotion could not be doubted, and he entered service as a temple warrior, taking to martial forms in a way that he was not able to take to scrolls and rituals. As an early initiate, Klak came across the Illustrated History of Fus Bardagaskegg, Champion of Clangeddin. The pictures helped quite a bit and Klak became enamoured of Fus and his deeds. This was the one area of "study" where Klak was able to go deep and learn the minutiae -- turning into something of a trivia disciple of Fus Bardagaskegg, frequently recounting the proverbs and stories around the champion -- usually accurately. What began as kind of an … adorable devotion became somewhat annoying to his superiors as Klak showed no sign of letting up.

Nonetheless, in due course Klak became a full Paladin of Clangeddin Silverbeard with the battleaxe to match. Though not the brightest, he is aware of the scorn that some of his teachers have for his limited scope. One martial trainer, in particular, who -- scandalously as far as Klak was concerned -- favored the Warhammer has gotten under Klak’s skin. Durik Battlebeard was known to say things like, "Klak, since you cannot think through this any better -- just rush the line of goblins. We’ll be right behind you." Or, "Klak, the best place for you defensively is in the middle of the corridor, where your thickness will inhibit the passage of the enemy! Har har har!" To prepare for his upcoming Oath -- Klak has ventured out on a quest to find a relic of Fus Bardagaskegg -- the mighty battleaxe wielded by the famed hero himself. He will find it, and he will return home and shove it up Durik Battlebeard’s… um. beard. Yes.
Oct 28, 2015 12:10 pm
spaceseeker19 says:
Well...a lot of EE is pretty ridiculous. I wouldn't allow the player races, for instance. But talk to me about the spells you're thinking about. Some of them are fine, and others I'd want to adjust slightly for balance and/or sense. Catapult, for instance: I might allow catapult if the missile actually has to arc to an apex and then drop on a target in order to deal that 3d8 damage. That seems completely reasonable for a battlefield artilleryman like Thacogygax, but the idea of using it at close range (which it allows you to do as written) seems counter to the spirit of the spell.
I'm finalizing my spell selection. What specific changes are you changing for the following EE spells: Catapult, Gust, Thunderclap, and Ice Knife? Thanks!
Oct 29, 2015 3:34 am
Yes, I owe you that; sorry for the delay. I had two separate trips into SF today. I'll get it to you tonight.

Edit (later that night): Catapult is the only one I'd change, and that how I said before: the object projectile must be able to reach an apex and come down on the target in order to deal 3d8 damage. I'm going to add that, for every 30' of elevation, the missile will deal 1d8 on a hit, up to the maximum. That way, you'd be devastating as artillery (effectively a mortar), rather than the mobile landmine as originally written ("You know that rock you're standing on? It explodes through your body!").

I actually think that the required arc was intended in the original, just poorly written.
Oct 29, 2015 5:53 am
Well, it does say straight line in the spell description. I think it's intended to be more like a bullet, they just gave it a name that doesn't fit. Your way gives it more flavor though than just "Damage Spell Z"
Oct 29, 2015 8:00 am
I like Spaceseeker's version as well. I doubt you'll want to go into actual projectile motion calculations (I was a physics major in college but it's all rusted away after 20 years haha!) but changing the elevation means changing the launch angle. Elevation and range both increase as you change angle up to 45 degrees. Between 45 and 90 degrees elevation continues to increase but range starts to suffer. At 90 feet (staright up) range is of course zero. One needs a given launch velocity to even guess at the actual values for range and elevation. I'm sure that's all a bit too fiddly for a fantasy game but surely we'll need a simplified guide of some sort if I'm going to try for max 3d8 damage by aiming for the full 90 feet of elevation, because at max elevation I won't be doing the spell's max attack range (90 feet). Unless you just rule that the spell lets me launch stuff 90 feet regardless, in which case I would just declare max elevation every time unless there's a roof or other obstruction over our heads that prevents me from doing that. :-D
Oct 29, 2015 12:53 pm
If it's going to be variable damage, shouldn there be a possibility of it doing more damage than it's normal amount? Giving it a range of 1d8-3d8 makes it simply worse than things like Chromatic Orb, which don't have that variance.
Oct 30, 2015 3:11 pm
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
Unless you just rule that the spell lets me launch stuff 90 feet regardless, in which case I would just declare max elevation every time unless there's a roof or other obstruction over our heads that prevents me from doing that. :-D
That is the restriction I was thinking; you choose the angle and elevation based on the available clearance, and the damage varies accordingly. Story-wise, a successful DEX save then might mean that the target dodged it, or (if there was a roof overhead) that you misjudged the clearance and hit the roof instead.
Naatkinson says:
If it's going to be variable damage, shouldn there be a possibility of it doing more damage than it's normal amount? Giving it a range of 1d8-3d8 makes it simply worse than things like Chromatic Orb, which don't have that variance.
It's a save rather than an attack roll, for one thing. It's a lot of discussion for this one spell, but I'm happy to consider further tweaks. Here are some possibilities I can imagine:
* Casting the spell at a higher level will either: throw a larger object (increasing damage) or throw an object farther (increasing range). Given the premise of a catapult, I feel like an additional d8 per spell slot level isn't enough for a larger object at the same velocity. Each spell level increase allows the caster to increase the weight of the object 100%. What would be preferable from a gameplay standpoint, increasing the damage by 100% - which would require multiplication: 1-3d8x(spell slot level) - or boosting the damage die, which would be more customary addition (1-3d8+6 at second level, 1-3d8+8 at third level, 1-3d8+10 at 4th level, etc)?
* Casting the spell at a higher level allows an increase to damage AND range, but it doesn't allow one to toss a larger object, it allows one to toss the same object higher/farther. 90' max for 1st level, adding 30' to the "ceiling" and range for every additional spell level. So damage is still 1d8 per vertical 30'.
* Casting the spell at a higher level only increases damage, not range, as you toss a heavier object. The spell slot level corresponds to the size of the object. Damage is normal 1-3d8 (based on elevation) + (spell slot level -1)d10. For example, tossing a heavier object 60' into the air using a 2nd-level spell slot would be 2d8+1d10, while using a 3rd-level spell slot at 90' would be 3d8+2d10.

What do you think?
Oct 30, 2015 3:51 pm
Final cast of characters recap:
* Sara, the half-elf forest ranger (UA variant) outlander (Candi)
* Aanbo, the dwarven monk hermit (CancerMan)
* Ogbar, the human barbarian outlander (Naatkinson)
* Thacogygax, the dragonborn sorceror slave/soldier(Jabes.plays.RPG)
* Quest, the half-elf mystic of the Awakened Mind (UA class) entertainer (foolsmask)
* Klak, the dwarven paladin acolyte (falryx)
* Morgran, the dwarven tempest cleric acolyte (Biscuitfiend)
Oct 30, 2015 3:52 pm
I think the spell is inaccurately named. See spell text - "The object flies in a straight line". The only other thing messed up about this spell is the awful, confusing text, Apparently, the save basically means nothing and 3d8 damage is not reduced. Thanks Wizards...
Oct 30, 2015 4:02 pm
Biscuitfiend says:
I think the spell is inaccurately named. See spell text - "The object flies in a straight line". The only other thing messed up about this spell is the awful, confusing text, Apparently, the save basically means nothing and 3d8 damage is not reduced. Thanks Wizards...
Wow, you're right, the save does absolutely nothing by the text... I feel like it should really just be an attack roll, honestly.
Oct 30, 2015 9:24 pm
Well, I'm interpreting it as artillery, particularly given Thacogygax's background. Story-wise, the save is to avoid both the impact and the shrapnel from the impact as the object slams to earth again.

But it is interesting, as written. As written, it's a cannonball. The save dodges it as it flies past; it only does damage when it impacts something (a failed save or it hits an inanimate object).

Interesting that the object also takes the same damage, so you potentially could not use the same rock over and over again...but you could craft something that would break (like a cask of acid or oil) when it takes that damage. Thacogygax and the other walking artillery pieces were probably great assets in sea battles.
Oct 30, 2015 10:18 pm
Ok, I've settled n this spell selection for Thacogygax:
0 - Frostbite
0 - Mage Hand
0 - Mending
0 - Message
1 - Catapult
1 - Fog Cloud
1 - Shield
1 - Thunderwave

I made good on what I said about having more utility rather than offensive cantrips as these are from before the war. Fog Cloud and Thunderwave are bonus spells Storm Sorcerers.

About Catapult tweaks: All the possible options are pretty awesome and I'd be ok with any one of them. Having said that, the first option seems optimal:
Quote:
* Casting the spell at a higher level will either: throw a larger object (increasing damage) or throw an object farther (increasing range). Given the premise of a catapult, I feel like an additional d8 per spell slot level isn't enough for a larger object at the same velocity. Each spell level increase allows the caster to increase the weight of the object 100%.
As for the two damage boosting methods below, the first one seems to pack more bang for buck:
Quote:
What would be preferable from a gameplay standpoint, increasing the damage by 100% - which would require multiplication: 1-3d8x(spell slot level) - or boosting the damage die, which would be more customary addition (1-3d8+6 at second level, 1-3d8+8 at third level, 1-3d8+10 at 4th level, etc)?
I had to say goodbye to Chrmatic Orb as I didn't have enough "known" slots but I may pick it up later (if Thacogygax survives that long) and will definitely use the cool backstory attached to it!
Nov 5, 2015 11:50 pm
Here goes nothin'!

Stats:

Will have to figure out character details this weekend... but for some reason my first impulse is to go with a Gnomish Warlock Urchin.
Last edited November 6, 2015 4:15 am

Rolls

Stats - (4d6, 4d6, 4d6, 4d6, 4d6, 4d6)

4d6 : (5355) = 18

4d6 : (5125) = 13

4d6 : (1546) = 16

4d6 : (1551) = 12

4d6 : (3645) = 18

4d6 : (1315) = 10

Motivation - (1d6)

(4) = 4

Nov 5, 2015 11:56 pm
Moofsalot says:
Here goes nothin'!
Those are some darn good rolls!
Nov 6, 2015 12:52 am
Yah. Way better than Naatkinson and I. :)
Nov 6, 2015 4:36 am
Since the party is still in Hochoch, it will still make sense for your character to be another one of Cecily's Dungeon Buster scouts, maybe just arriving a little late. Any class is fine. Let me know what you're thinking, or if you have any questions.
Nov 6, 2015 4:40 am
First impulse is Gnome Warlock Urchin but I may need to sit on that for a day to see what I can come up with in terms of background.
Nov 6, 2015 4:50 pm
A character motivation of Greed! Great; I look forward to reading how that greed is connected to an NPC.

Note: I've also invited CouchLord0510 to join us. His character follows, and will be working into the narrative shortly.
Nov 10, 2015 2:47 am
Everything with a (!) needs DM confirmation. DM note: Confirmed, with edits.

Name: Durren Elderblade
Race: Ancient Human (Raised Elf)
Background: Soldier
Class(es): Fighter
Alignment: Lawful Good
Inspiration
Proficiency Bonus 2
Save
Strength 16 +3 +5
Dexterity 14 +2 +2
Constitution 14 +2 +4
Intelligence 11 +0 +0
Wisdom 14 +2 +2
Charisma 9 -1 -1
Total HP 12
Temp HP 12 DM note: You have no temp HP, so this should be 0 (zero) at the moment. Temp HP are provided by certain magic effects, much as in previous editions.
Perhaps you were thinking one was current HP and one was maximum HP? Gamer's Plane doesn't allow tracking of maximum vs current HP in the HP fields, so you have to put it in the "Notes" section of the character sheet, something like X/12, where X is current and 12 is max.

AC 13
Initiative 2
Speed 30

Skills

Animal Handling +4 (Wis)
Athletics +5 (Str)
Insight +4 (Wis)
Perception +4 (Wis)
Persuasion +1 (Cha)
Stealth +4 (Dex)
Survival +2 (Wis)

Weapons
Name Attack Bonus Damage
Elder Greatsword +2? DM note: This should be +5 (+3 for STR, +2 for proficiency). 1d8/1d10
Notes
Heirloom sword, +2 to will save when in use. DM Note: there is no Will Save in 5e; you can choose, now, what this bonus will be: WIS saves, CHA saves, or saves vs. charm. Which one? Versatile, 1d10 when used with two hands

Spells
AB Save - Intelligence
Prestidigitation (Int) +2 +10
Items
Hood of Sentry: +1 to intimidation when worn
Leather armor with metal plates sparsely sewn on in areas most needing protection DM note: I'm treating this as studded leather.
9 GP

Notes
-PROFICIENCY:
Simple, martial weapons; armor; shields

-LANGUAGES:
>Common
>Elvish
>Imperial (replaced for Deep Speech, @DM)
DM note: Good, makes sense.

PERSONALITY TRAITS:
>Personality Trait- Always polite and respectful
>Ideals- Responsibility: Does what must be done and obeys just authority
>Bonds- A friend saved my life in battle once and to this day I never leave a man behind
>Flaws- I'd rather eat my armor than admit when I'm wrong.

IMPULSE:
>LOVE: Durren's childhood friend and closest companion, Selena, was abducted by a tribe of Kobolds when he was about 12 years of age. He has never seen her since, but after her departure he realized his feelings for her and has tried to reach the peak of military specialty to search for her and (1) bring her back or (2) dish out the ultimate punishment to those responsible for her loss/death. Selena is a High Elf Ranger, whose alignment is Neutral Good. She wears a green and gold tunic with leggings and boots, and carries two slightly curved swords and a bow.

TRAITS:
-Keen Senses:
Proficiency in Perception
-Darkvision:
In a 60ft. radius, character sees in dim light as if it were broad daylight, and also sees in complete darkness as if in dim light. In complete darkness, sees no color, only shades of gray
DM note: I'm somewhat inclined to tweak this a bit, as you are human, just raised by elves. It could be one of three ways:
1. The elves just granted you a magic boon, and pow! you have darkvision! Your eyes show up with detect magic, and the effect could be dispelled.
2. Perhaps some of their dweomer rubbed off on you in the years that you lived with them and trained in their disciplines; thus, you can invoke a certain amount of darkvision (2 hours + level) in between trances.
3. You have developed preternatural vision, just in years of trying to keep up with the elves. It isn't quite as keen as actual racial darkvision, but allows you to see as if with darkvision to a 30' radius.

-Trance*:
Character gets *6 hours worth of sleep for 4 hrs of meditation.
DM note: I like this, given the character's history.
- Elvish Weapon Training: Proficiency in Long, Short Bow; Long, Short Sword
- Partial Ability Score Increase:
Your character gains +1 to 3 of 6 of the ability scores.

*Less, because not an elf by nature.

MILITARY SPECIALTY:
Sentry Captain- Became Captain of Elven Sentries. Still owns hood designating his rank, and Sentry Elves and elves in general will show him respect because of this.

ORGANIZATION:
Swordmasters Guild: Teaches advanced swordsmanship and ingrains incredible bond between sword and user.
Last edited November 10, 2015 3:01 am
Nov 10, 2015 3:28 am
*TEST*
Last edited November 10, 2015 3:29 am
Nov 10, 2015 6:11 am
CouchLord0510, the test looks good (and I like the picture - all of you players come up with great character artwork!)

Note that I've gone in and edited your previous post with your character details, inserting "DM notes".

Along those lines, two things:
1) I'd like to hear more about your friend who saved your life in battle. Come up with some details. That's candy to me, as a DM.

2) The actual Gamer's Plane character sheet is where you keep track of HP, AC and so forth...but the current amounts are all tracked in the "Notes" section of the sheet, unless the changes are (semi)permanent: you drink a potion that permanently increases your CON or DEX, or you find armor +1, etc. So you will be editing that sheet often.

3) There is no explicit place to track XP on your character sheet, so you'll want to write that into the "Notes" section, too.
Nov 10, 2015 1:07 pm
FINAL DRAFT of character sheet, with DM edits.

Name: Durren Elderblade
Race: Ancient Human (Raised Elf)
Background: Soldier
Class(es): Fighter
Alignment: Lawful Good
Inspiration
Proficiency Bonus 2
Save
Strength 16 +3 +5
Dexterity 14 +2 +2
Constitution 14 +2 +4
Intelligence 11 +0 +0
Wisdom 14 +2 +2
Charisma 9 -1 -1
Total HP 12
Temp HP 0
AC 13
Initiative 2
Speed 30

Skills

Animal Handling +4 (Wis)
Athletics +5 (Str)
Insight +4 (Wis)
Perception +4 (Wis)
Persuasion +1 (Cha)
Stealth +4 (Dex)
Survival +2 (Wis)

Weapons
Name Attack Bonus Damage
Elder Greatsword +5 (+3 for STR, +2 for proficiency). 1d8/1d10
Notes
Heirloom sword, +2 to CHAR save when in use. Versatile, 1d10 when used with two hands

Spells
AB Save - Intelligence
Prestidigitation (Int) +2 +10

Items
Hood of Sentry: +1 to intimidation when worn
Leather armor with metal plates sparsely sewn on in areas most needing protection DM note: I'm treating this as studded leather.
Primordial Language book *Trinket*
9 GP

Notes
-PROFICIENCY:
Simple, martial weapons; armor; shields

-LANGUAGES:
>Common
>Elvish
>Imperial (replaced for Deep Speech, @DM)
DM note: Good, makes sense.
>Partial Primordial (learned from book)

PERSONALITY TRAITS:
>Personality Trait- Always polite and respectful
>Ideals- Responsibility: Does what must be done and obeys just authority
>Bonds- A friend saved my life in battle once and to this day I never leave a man behind
>Flaws- I'd rather eat my armor than admit when I'm wrong.

IMPULSE:
>LOVE: Durren's childhood friend and closest companion, Selena, was abducted by a tribe of Kobolds when he was about 12 years of age. He has never seen her since, but after her departure he realized his feelings for her and has tried to reach the peak of military specialty to search for her and (1) bring her back or (2) dish out the ultimate punishment to those responsible for her loss/death. Selena is a High Elf Ranger, whose alignment is Neutral Good. She wears a green and gold tunic with leggings and boots, and carries two slightly curved swords and a bow.

TRAITS:
-Keen Senses:
Proficiency in Perception
-Darkvision:
In a 30ft. radius, character sees in dim light as if it were broad daylight, and also sees in complete darkness as if in dim light. In complete darkness, sees no color, only shades of gray
*Have developed preternatural vision, just in years of trying to keep up with the elves. It isn't quite as keen as actual racial darkvision, but allows you to see as if with darkvision to a 30' radius.*
-Trance*:
Character gets *6 hours worth of sleep for 4 hrs of meditation.
DM note: I like this, given the character's history.
- Elvish Weapon Training: Proficiency in Long, Short Bow; Long, Short Sword
- Partial Ability Score Increase:
Your character gains +1 to 3 of 6 of the ability scores.

*Less, because not an elf by nature.

MILITARY SPECIALTY:
Sentry Captain- Became Captain of Elven Sentries. Still owns hood designating his rank, and Sentry Elves and elves in general will show him respect because of this.

ORGANIZATION:
Swordmasters Guild: Teaches advanced swordsmanship and ingrains incredible bond between sword and user.
Last edited November 10, 2015 3:38 pm
Nov 10, 2015 1:29 pm
BACKSTORY:

Durren was found my a Sentry troop of High Elves at the age of about 18 months. The only thing with him was an elder Longsword, which the baby had rolled onto. The elves took the baby back to their stronghold, and he was adopted by a wealthy elven noble. Though a race of ancient human by nature, Durren was able to acquire some of the natural abilities of the elves as he grew, as well as learn all he could about the art of war from them. His father was a politician by nature and would have desired that Durren follow in his footsteps, but the young man was drawn to the art of war. At age 12 he was given new reason to learn all he could: his childhood friend and first love, Selena Ebonlocks, was abducted by a surprise raid of Kobolds on the stronghold. Durren swore to bring her back or avenge her demise, and threw new effort into his training. At age 18 he took up the longsword found with him, which the Elves had identified as an heirloom of his forgotten heritage, and joined the Swordsmasters Guild. The guild honed his swordsmanship all the more, and finally Durren accomplished his goal: join the Sentry Corps of the stronghold. It was with the Sentries that Durren first tasted real combat and recieved his surname: Elderblade. Erdan Moonwhisper, one of his closest friends (who was also Durren's 'uncle') was able to procure Durren a promotion to Captain (the hood of rank which he still carries is token of this; elves will respect him because of this). Erdan played a great part in shaping Durren's character. He had been a role model for the young man ever since they could remember, and Erdan taught Durren the honor of a warrior, the grace of an elf, and the convictions of Lawful Good. Once while engaging an owlbear that was causing trouble in the forest, Erdan pushed Durren out of harms way, receiving a nasty gash for his bravery. Durren was awed by Erdan's sacrifice and to this day feels a strong compulsion to be a protector of the weak and helpless. When Durren was about 21 Erdan left the Sentries to be a Northern Ranger. Durren was heartbroken by his companion's departure and, leaving the Sentries himself, he ambled about the stronghold, feeling useless. He finally determined he was going to do something useful, like purging the mountains of some monster. He climbed into the crags of the Western Mountains and there found not only a monster, but also one of his closest friends to this day: Cyclops. Cyclops was Durren's pet and companion from that day on, though Cyclops was not readily accepted by the elves. Durren, once again saddened by his friend's rejection by the elves, and decided to seek Selena, as well as any clues to his heritage. Taking his sword, a book of the Primordial language Selena had given him, and Cyclops, Durren set out as a sort of 'knight errant', protecting those needing protection, accomplishing tasks for those who couldn't, and basically being a D&D boyscout. About half-way through Durren sent Cyclops away, since the large animal was frightening the settlers whom he served. The two missed each other dearly, but understood it was for the best. He found hints that a tribe of Kobolds with slaves to sell had traveled north, and Durren followed their trail, helping along the way. The trail ended at the little northern settlement known as Hochoch, where Durren's fortunes turned in a different direction...
Last edited November 10, 2015 3:36 pm
Feb 3, 2016 5:39 pm
Sweet. looking at it soon.
Feb 4, 2016 6:58 am
Well...upon review the Mystic has changed quite a bit. Still a very playable class, and I feel some of the changes were necessary. Quest will no longer be melting brains in a single action, nor dodging attacks on a whim. Now I have to go make changes to the character sheet.
Nov 21, 2023 2:01 am
Quick re-link of Aanbo, since I repurposed the original character sheet a long time ago for a different game, then subsequently deleted.
Nov 21, 2023 2:20 am
CancerMan says:
Quick re-link of Aanbo, since I repurposed the original character sheet a long time ago for a different game, then subsequently deleted.
Thank you; it's much appreciated.

I don't know if I re-discovered this or actually only just learned it, but a couple of days ago I found that clicking on the character portrait of any in-character post takes you to the character sheet (at least in the desktop version of the site), if the character is public. It's such a cool feature!
Nov 21, 2023 10:58 pm
Thanks to DM for kind invite!
This will be the place where we make a person and discuss lol.
Edit - Have we place for a human (Oeridian) fighter or paladin? Interested in what everyone else is rolling (I see we’ve a dwarf monk), then I can get a sheet added.
Cheers everyone.

Albertus, Human (Oeridian) Paladin!

Str 16
Dex 12
Con 16
Int 10
Wis 12
Cha 17 (Throw-back to AD&D!)

Longsword/Javelin +5 (1d8/1d6+3)
AC 18 (chain mail, shield)
Hp 13/13

Background - Mercenary Veteran (Knights of Holy Shielding)
Features - Mercenary Life, Divine Sense (4/4), Lay on Hands (5/5 hp)
Nonweapon Proficiencies lol - Athletics, Insight, Lang/Imperial, Lang/Keolish, Perception, Persuasion
Last edited November 23, 2023 1:31 pm

Rolls

Stats - (4d6h3, 4d6h3, 4d6h3, 4d6h3, 4d6h3, 4d6h3)

4d6h3 : (2342) = 9

4d6h3 : (6515) = 16

4d6h3 : (1452) = 11

4d6h3 : (2434) = 11

4d6h3 : (3636) = 15

4d6h3 : (5264) = 15

Background - (2d8, 5d6)

2d8 : (58) = 13

5d6 : (25223) = 14

Motivation - (1d6)

(1) = 1

Trinket - (1d100)

(42) = 42

Starting Gold - (5d4)

(42413) = 14

Nov 21, 2023 11:16 pm
Alright, so just making sure I'm not missing anything...

PHB only (races, backgrounds, classes), no feats, no variant humans. Is that accurate?

Edit: ...😳

I have three -1s, a +1 and a +2. For a net of +/- 0.

Can I mulligan?
Last edited November 21, 2023 11:20 pm

Rolls

Stats - (4d6h3, 4d6h3, 4d6h3, 4d6h3, 4d6h3, 4d6h3)

4d6h3 : (2431) = 9

4d6h3 : (3354) = 12

4d6h3 : (2262) = 10

4d6h3 : (1324) = 9

4d6h3 : (1324) = 9

4d6h3 : (6541) = 15

Len

Nov 21, 2023 11:17 pm
Hello all! Thanks for the invite, Spaceseeker! Nice to see familiar faces in the crew already, and looking forward to meeting the folks I haven't played with yet.

Let's get started building a character! *dusts off hands, rolls 4D6's*

ATTRIBUTES
So we got: 13, 11, 13, 12, 14, 14 ... wow, pretty great! Solidly above-average across the board. I'll line it up like so:

STR: 14
DEX: 13
CON: 13
INT: 14
WIS: 11
CHA: 12

RACE
Let's make a HALF-ORC. With +2 STR and +1 CON, my new attributes are

STR: 16
DEX: 13
CON: 14
INT: 14
WIS: 11
CHA: 12

I also get the following features:

Speed: 30
Darkvision: 60 feet
Menacing: Proficient in Intimidation
Relentless Endurance
Savage Attacks
Languages.

CLASS
Let's go with WIZARD. I'm imagining roleplaying a Half-Orc Wizard like a shaman that casts the bones and such.

Hit Points
Hit Dice: 1d6
Hit Points: 8

Proficiencies
Armour: None
Weapons: Daggers, darts, slings, quarterstaffs, light crossbows
Tools: None
Saving Throws: Intelligence, Wisdom
Skills: Arcana, Investigation

Equipment
Dagger, arcane focus, explorer's pack, spellbook

Spellcasting
Spell Save DC: 12
Spell Attack Modifier: +4
Prepare: Up to 3 spells
Arcane Recovery: Per short rest, recover expended spell slots with combined level equal to half your wizard level (rounded up), no higher than 6th level.
Cantrips (3): Fire Bolt, Minor Illusion, Prestidigitation
1st Level (6): Color Spray, Detect Magic, Mage Armor, Magic Missile, Shield, Ray of Sickness
Spell Slots: Two 1st Level Slots

BACKGROUND
Let's go with ACOLYTE to get that shamanistic vibe!

Skill Proficiencies: Insight, Religion
Languages: x2 - Abyssal, Celestial
Equipment: Holy symbol, prayer wheel, 5 sticks of incense, vestments, a set of common clothes, and a pouch containing 15gp.

Feature: Shelter of the Faithful

Personality Trait: I see omens in every event and action The gods try to speak to us, we just need to listen.
Ideal: Tradition. The ancient traditions of worship and sacrifice must be preserved and upheld.
Bond: I would die to recover an ancient relic of my faith that was lost long ago.
Flaw: Once I pick a goal, I become obsessed with it to the detriment of everything else in my life.
Motivation: Ambition

Name: Kragga Moonweaver

Kragga Moonweaver, a half-orc with a soul intertwined with magic, emerged from the proud lineage of the Stormreaver Clan. Born with a natural affinity for the arcane, Kragga's fascination with the mystical arts set him apart from his warrior-centric kin.

The tranquility of his tribe shattered when a malevolent sorcerer raided their sacred vaults, making off with the Shard of Skystorm—an ancient artifact that held the key to controlling the volatile weather in their mountainous homeland. Fueled by a deep sense of duty and a thirst for redemption, Kragga pledged to the elder circle that he would not cut his hair until the Shard of Skystorm was returned.

Venturing into the civilized territories, Kragga began to hone his wizardry skills, forming alliances with unlikely companions. As his hair grows long and unruly, it becomes a symbol of his unyielding commitment to restoring the balance of nature to his tribe and proving that the path of magic could be a force for strength and unity among his people.

https://i.imgur.com/9FLHa2z.jpg
[ +- ] Spaceseeker's guidelines from first post, for reference
Last edited November 22, 2023 6:27 am

Rolls

Attribute generation x6 - (4d6h3, 4d6h3, 4d6h3, 4d6h3, 4d6h3, 4d6h3)

4d6h3 : (6234) = 13

4d6h3 : (1326) = 11

4d6h3 : (2634) = 13

4d6h3 : (1633) = 12

4d6h3 : (1356) = 14

Nov 21, 2023 11:51 pm
WhiteDwarf says:
Thanks to DM for kind invite!
This will be the place where we make a person and discuss lol.
Edit - Have we place for a human (Oeridian) fighter or paladin? Interested in what everyone else is rolling (I see we’ve a dwarf monk), then I can get a sheet added.
That's up to you, of course. But you might find this list (copied from the first post in this thread) of interest, if you want to avoid duplication:
The active characters so far are:

Name Level Race Class Background
Aanbo Earthshaker L1 Dwarf Monk Hermit
Albertus L1 Human Paladin Soldier
Joseph Nimblefingers L1 Halfling Rogue Folk Hero
Kragga Moonweaver L1 Half-orc Wizard Acolyte
Ogbar L1 Human Barbarian Outlander
Theran Nailo L1 Elf Druid Haunted One
Xana Beren L1 Gnome Warlock Charlatan
Nov 22, 2023 2:51 am
Hope it’s ok, I went ahead and submitted a Character (Albertus, Human Paladin). I outlined a background on his character sheet. Interested in any thoughts or insights, and otherwise just looking forward to playing him.
Cheers!
Nov 22, 2023 6:17 am
MaJunior says:
Alright, so just making sure I'm not missing anything...

PHB only (races, backgrounds, classes), no feats, no variant humans. Is that accurate?

Edit: ...😳

I have three -1s, a +1 and a +2. For a net of +/- 0.

Can I mulligan?
I encourage you to give your nascent creation a try!

I'll also point out that the net 0 will be ameliorated by your choice of race.
That 9, 9, 9, 10, 12, 15 could become an 9, 10, 10, 11, 12, 15 or a 9, 9, 9, 12, 12, 16 or a 9, 10, 11, 11, 12, 15 (with a mountain dwarf) or a 9, 9, 9, 12, 14, 15 or even a 10, 10, 10, 11, 13, 16 (if you choose a human)...all of which have net positive modifiers.

Len

Nov 22, 2023 6:33 am
I have submitted Kragga Moonweaver, the Half-Orc Wizard Acolyte. All features pending DM approval, and please let me know if I missed anything.

I am curious about the gods of this setting. As an acolyte, Kragga worships some form of deity or spirits. Spaceseeker, do you have a pantheon or set of belief systems for this setting? If not, I am happy to bring some ideas to the table.
Nov 22, 2023 7:00 am
spaceseeker19 says:

That 9, 9, 9, 10, 12, 15 could become an 9, 10, 10, 11, 12, 15 or a 9, 9, 9, 12, 12, 16 or a 9, 10, 11, 11, 12, 15 (with a mountain dwarf) or a 9, 9, 9, 12, 14, 15 or even a 10, 10, 10, 11, 13, 16 (if you choose a human)...all of which have net positive modifiers.
I know how it works... I just also know that the dice roller on GP hates me. 🤷

Ah well... time to dig through the PHB. That's the only book we're using, correct?
Nov 22, 2023 7:21 am
Len says:
I have submitted Kragga Moonweaver, the Half-Orc Wizard Acolyte. All features pending DM approval, and please let me know if I missed anything.

I am curious about the gods of this setting. As an acolyte, Kragga worships some form of deity or spirits. Spaceseeker, do you have a pantheon or set of belief systems for this setting? If not, I am happy to bring some ideas to the table.
Ostensibly, Keoland is part of the Greyhawk setting; there are references to that pantheon in the adventure already, but I'm open to expanding that if you have other ideas.
Nov 22, 2023 7:23 am
MaJunior says:
spaceseeker19 says:

I know how it works... I just also know that the dice roller on GP hates me. 🤷

Ah well... time to dig through the PHB. That's the only book we're using, correct?
That's what we originally said, yes. That was an attempt to maintain something like the AD&D feel, but just as big a reason for that is that no other books with character options had been published at that point. If you have another idea of something you want to use, I'm open to it (the original party had a Mystic, after all).
Nov 22, 2023 11:35 am
Here we go!

Yes boy!
Last edited November 22, 2023 11:37 am

Rolls

Ability Scores - (4d6h3, 4d6h3, 4d6h3, 4d6h3, 4d6h3, 4d6h3)

4d6h3 : (5321) = 10

4d6h3 : (5556) = 16

4d6h3 : (6125) = 13

4d6h3 : (3621) = 11

4d6h3 : (6125) = 13

Nov 22, 2023 11:39 am
I'm thinking Halfling Rogue, to help round out the party. There's bound to be plenty of traps to disarm in an old school module.
Nov 22, 2023 12:48 pm
Submitted Halfling Rogue Folk Hero Joseph Nimblefingers.
Nov 22, 2023 3:09 pm
Would the Haunted One background from Curse of Strahd be available?
Nov 22, 2023 3:25 pm
JoshuaMabry says:
Submitted Halfling Rogue Folk Hero Joseph Nimblefingers.
Approved, and thank you! A few notes:
- this sheet doesn't have a space for XP, so consider adding that in the notes section
- what is Joseph's homeland, that is currently ruled by a tyrant? Later today I'll post a thread with "People we've met" and "Places we've seen," which will include NPCs and any world details that we've already established (mostly through character backgrounds). You're free to invent what you like or draw from something already established, but I'd like a name of the land and of the tyrant.
- Joseph's initiative modifier is +4, not 0
- Note for which two skills Joseph has expertise. If that's already on the sheet, I apologize: I couldn't find it.
- Joseph should have proficiency in one additional skill, as he gets four from the rogue class (animal handling and survival are from his background)
Nov 22, 2023 3:27 pm
@spaceseeker19 I actually wanted to work with you on his homeland. It's been a long time since I've played in Greyhawk. Probably not since 2005. I'll make those other corrections later today.
Last edited November 22, 2023 3:28 pm
Nov 22, 2023 3:39 pm
Moofsalot says:
First impulse is Gnome Warlock Urchin but I may need to sit on that for a day to see what I can come up with in terms of background.
@Moofsalot Thank you for bringing Xana back into this game. Notes:
- Xana has only 1 spell slot
- Xana knows one more 1st level warlock spell (sleep and faerie fire are bonuses from Hyrsam)
- Xana doesn't have eldritch invocations (yet)
- I'm missing something obvious; I can't tell what feature is providing Xana mage armor. Without it, her AC will be 13.
- How far away are the Northern Grasslands from Keoland? It'd be fun to know how far Xana has traveled before arriving at Hochoch.
Nov 22, 2023 3:44 pm
MaJunior says:
Would the Haunted One background from Curse of Strahd be available?
@MaJunior Sure, that's fine with me. Thanks for asking!
Nov 22, 2023 4:02 pm
CancerMan says:
Thank you. Some notes:
- Aanbo also has the handaxe and light hammer weapon proficiencies
- you might track how many herbalism kit uses remain on the sheet somewhere. Aanbo has used it once or maybe twice; I'll confirm.
- Aanbo has a staff; it should probably be listed in his inventory
- Aanbo became a hermit after parting ways with Foonbo. How far away and how long ago was that parting?
Nov 22, 2023 4:48 pm
Of course. Not trying to unbalance the game or anything.

My plan is a young Wood Elf Druid.

One last question though... would the Circle of Spores (Tasha's Cauldron of Everything) subclass be available? If not, I'll just take Circle of the Moon when I hit level 2 but figured I'd ask ahead of time.

Edit: Ok, two last questions I guess.

Can I sell off some of my starting equipment, and if so would it be at cost, 50% of value, or something else?
Last edited November 22, 2023 7:09 pm
Nov 22, 2023 7:35 pm
MaJunior says:
Of course. Not trying to unbalance the game or anything.

My plan is a young Wood Elf Druid.

One last question though... would the Circle of Spores (Tasha's Cauldron of Everything) subclass be available?
Sure!
MaJunior says:
Can I sell off some of my starting equipment?
If you want to buy extra equipment, roll for starting money and buy what you want instead of taking equipment and selling it at a loss.
Nov 22, 2023 8:23 pm
I actually don't want to buy anything extra. I just have too much stuff. Lol
Nov 22, 2023 8:25 pm
MaJunior says:
I actually don't want to buy anything extra. I just have too much stuff. Lol
Yeah, you can sell it for half if you want to lighten your load before your character is introduced, or you can sell it within the game if that's more interesting to you.
Nov 23, 2023 1:44 am
spaceseeker19 says:
Len says:

Ostensibly, Keoland is part of the Greyhawk setting; there are references to that pantheon in the adventure already, but I'm open to expanding that if you have other ideas.
The Greyhawk pantheon sounds great, thanks. With that information, I will rework my backstory for Kragga to be acting on behalf of a non-Orcish deity. Perhaps raised by humans in a temple of Boccob. His zeal for recovering lost relics will not be confined to orcish artifacts, but to all lost magical knowledge.

Rewrite incoming.
Nov 23, 2023 2:51 am
@spaceseeker19, ok if I change up my Background, from Soldier to Mercenary Veteran (SCAG)? Basically same thing as PHB-Soldier in all respects, except the Feature is focused more on recognizing mercenary companies, who’s hired whom recently, and where to do odd-mercenary jobs in order to score a Comfortable lifestyle.

It’s a bit dubious, for a knight, except I’ve been reading up, and seems the Knights of Holy Shielding are more grounded east of us, Furyondy-Shield Lands, and they seem to wander off in between knightly campaigns and effectively wear the Mercenary hat as knight-errants, until the next shoe happens to drop. It’d help establish why Albertus picked our game area, of all places to come looking for work - he could’ve gone anywhere else, I guess, but he thinks his lost-love Evelyn is here, and that’s reason enough.

What do you think?
Last edited November 23, 2023 3:09 am
Nov 23, 2023 4:00 am
WhiteDwarf says:
@spaceseeker19, ok if I change up my Background, from Soldier to Mercenary Veteran (SCAG)? <snip>
I’ve been reading up, and seems the Knights of Holy Shielding are more grounded east of us, Furyondy-Shield Lands, and they seem to wander off in between knightly campaigns and effectively wear the Mercenary hat as knight-errants, until the next shoe happens to drop. It’d help establish why Albertus picked our game area, of all places to come looking for work - he could’ve gone anywhere else, I guess, but he thinks his lost-love Evelyn is here, and that’s reason enough.

What do you think?
I think the mercenary background is fine, and I already am invested in the motivation of trying to find Evelyn.

But I'm not running this in a by-the-book Greyhawk, because when the module was released, there was only a 32-page booklet about the setting, and this group has already created more about this little slice of the world than is in that book (the boxed set wasn't released until the year after). So you are welcome to say that the Knights of the Holy Shielding that Albertus is part of is based in the Shield Lands at the far eastern end of Furyondy on the shores of the Nyr Dyv (and on the doorstep of Iuz), that they're led by the Knight Commander, and that Albertus has traveled the length and breadth of the Flanaess in his search, finally arriving in a little secluded corner of Keoland thousands of miles to the west. But you are also welcome to modify any of those details or create your own new ones. As long as it doesn't contradict what others have already established (see the "World Book" forum thread) - and I don't see how it would - I'm fine with what you come up with for Albertus.
Nov 23, 2023 1:36 pm
spaceseeker19 says:
WhiteDwarf says:
@spaceseeker19, ok if I change up my Background, from Soldier to Mercenary Veteran (SCAG)? <snip>
I’ve been reading up, and seems the Knights of Holy Shielding are more grounded east of us, Furyondy-Shield Lands, and they seem to wander off in between knightly campaigns and effectively wear the Mercenary hat as knight-errants, until the next shoe happens to drop. It’d help establish why Albertus picked our game area, of all places to come looking for work - he could’ve gone anywhere else, I guess, but he thinks his lost-love Evelyn is here, and that’s reason enough.

What do you think?
I think the mercenary background is fine, and I already am invested in the motivation of trying to find Evelyn.

But I'm not running this in a by-the-book Greyhawk, because when the module was released, there was only a 32-page booklet about the setting, and this group has already created more about this little slice of the world than is in that book (the boxed set wasn't released until the year after). So you are welcome to say that the Knights of the Holy Shielding that Albertus is part of is based in the Shield Lands at the far eastern end of Furyondy on the shores of the Nyr Dyv (and on the doorstep of Iuz), that they're led by the Knight Commander, and that Albertus has traveled the length and breadth of the Flanaess in his search, finally arriving in a little secluded corner of Keoland thousands of miles to the west. But you are also welcome to modify any of those details or create your own new ones. As long as it doesn't contradict what others have already established (see the "World Book" forum thread) - and I don't see how it would - I'm fine with what you come up with for Albertus.
Much obliged! I’ll go with what I just posted then, along with a bit about some other boys (Knights of the Hart) having a bit of a tiff with the Holy Shielders. That’s another nugget I read about, and just more thing that might cause some fun RP/trouble along the way. Imma write up a bit about that, flesh it out as best I can, then we can talk about it.
Hope everyone’s well today. Happy Thanksgiving (US), and to everyone else, Happy Thursday.
Last edited November 23, 2023 2:47 pm
Nov 23, 2023 2:04 pm
[ +- ] Sold!
Last edited November 23, 2023 2:04 pm
Nov 23, 2023 4:24 pm
OK, the last piece for the new characters (Albertus, Joseph, Kragga, Theran) is to consider who else in the party you already know. It could be that you met previously, it could be that you met as you were assigned to this Dungeon Busters location and you got to know each other on the road to Hochoch, or...I'm sure there are many ways. But I'd like it if there was some kind of connection to at least one other character in the group as we begin.
Nov 23, 2023 6:40 pm
New backstory for Kragga Moonweaver!

Among the ancient stones of a human temple devoted to Boccob, Kragga Moonweaver, a half-orc of singular lineage, found solace and purpose. Raised under the guidance of the human sages, his orcish strength and arcane aptitude intertwined like the roots of Obad-Hai's trees. A vow, etched in the sacred script of the temple, binds him to quest for long-lost relics of arcane power. His uncut hair bears silent testament to this solemn oath. A half-orc enigma, he emerges into the world, the fate of Boccob's artifacts interwoven with his own.

WhiteDwarf and I are working on a collaboration for our characters, and I invite others to make connections, too!
Last edited November 23, 2023 6:41 pm
Nov 23, 2023 6:56 pm
@WhiteDwarf As you say, Kragga and Albertus share similarities. Both are strong, hearty warriors imbued with magic - Albertus wields the divine, while Kragga wields the Arcane. While they have similar physical stats, Kragga has a higher intelligence while Albertus has a much higher charisma. Perhaps these differences draw them together? Kragga is not a people person, and could lean on Albertus's natural ability to make and lead allies. Whereas Kragga brings clever plans and studied knowledge to their partnership.

Perhaps the two shared a campfire sometime in the past, and fate drew them together onto some side quest - a village under threat of attack, that sort of thing?
Nov 23, 2023 7:05 pm
Len says:
@WhiteDwarf As you say, Kragga and Albertus share similarities. Both are strong, hearty warriors imbued with magic - Albertus wields the divine, while Kragga wields the Arcane. While they have similar physical stats, Kragga has a higher intelligence while Albertus has a much higher charisma. Perhaps these differences draw them together? Kragga is not a people person, and could lean on Albertus's natural ability to make and lead allies. Whereas Kragga brings clever plans and studied knowledge to their partnership.

Perhaps the two shared a campfire sometime in the past, and fate drew them together onto some side quest - a village under threat of attack, that sort of thing?
Absolutely, I like that their differences draw them together as much as their similarities.
Let’s say they helped save a village from an attack. Reading up on some Greyhawk lore, looking for some names, places and potential foes we might have faced together.
Nov 27, 2023 6:33 pm
spaceseeker19 says:
CancerMan says:
Thank you. Some notes:
- Aanbo also has the handaxe and light hammer weapon proficiencies
- you might track how many herbalism kit uses remain on the sheet somewhere. Aanbo has used it once or maybe twice; I'll confirm.
- Aanbo has a staff; it should probably be listed in his inventory
- Aanbo became a hermit after parting ways with Foonbo. How far away and how long ago was that parting?
Thanks for the reminders. The handaxe and hammer proficiencies are covered under "simple weapons" so I did not call them out specifically. The quarterstaff and darts are in the weapon list, but it's good to keep track in the inventory section so I will add them there, too.

I've listed the herbalism kit's remaining uses at 7/10. I know I've tried to use it at least twice, and I'm pretty sure I failed both! I figure even if I didn't use it a third time, the dwindling supplies can reflect the wasted efforts of inexperience and just plain mistakes.

Regarding the backstory, I'll admit that I didn't really think too hard about the time frame between Aanbo's separation from his brother and current events. I don't have extensive knowledge of the Greyhawk realm nor her history, but referencing a map I can see that Clan Stonereaver (Moradinath Mor) is in the Barrier Peaks west of our current location of Hochoch, and it seems reasonable for Aanbo's monastery to be located somewhere nearby. Once Aanbo left the monastery, he'd have headed east to follow the roads, passing through Dersyth and seeking solace in the foothills.

For duration, I'd like to pick a nice round number and say one year has passed, which should give enough time for self-reflection and starvation to cause Aanbo to seek some other means of sustenance. He'd continue eastward until reaching Hochoch.
Dec 17, 2023 2:57 am
I have a request, not a requirement: it would be nice if everyone would put whatever backstory details they've chosen for their characters on their character sheets. I'm often looking for ways to incorporate your backstories into the narrative - things you notice, et cetera - and it would be a lot faster for me (and for you?) if it was on your character sheets.

Len

Dec 17, 2023 4:27 am
Good idea, done!

Dec 17, 2023 3:26 pm
I will work on getting that typed out.
Feb 22, 2024 5:09 pm
Aanbo is continuing as a monk with his second level, and will take the average HP increase. He gains ki points and ki features (flurry of blows, patient defense, step of the wind), and unarmored movement speed increase.

spaceseeker19, there are optional class features from Tasha's Cauldron of Everything for monks (and other classes); will they be allowed?
For the monk, at 2nd level they can use a Dedicated Weapon:
[ +- ] Dedicated Weapon
Feb 23, 2024 6:27 am
CancerMan says:
Aanbo is continuing as a monk with his second level, and will take the average HP increase. He gains ki points and ki features (flurry of blows, patient defense, step of the wind), and unarmored movement speed increase.
Just a reminder that Aanbo gets the HP immediately, but does not get the ki points or other features until he trains with Tuan Vo back in Hochoch (or some other monk trainer). The same goes for the others - Xana and Ogbar - who have enough XP to gain a level.
Feb 23, 2024 12:05 pm
I will take my average HP rather than risk it all on a roll :P

You do not have permission to post in this thread.