Character creation

load previous

Len

Nov 22, 2023 6:33 am
I have submitted Kragga Moonweaver, the Half-Orc Wizard Acolyte. All features pending DM approval, and please let me know if I missed anything.

I am curious about the gods of this setting. As an acolyte, Kragga worships some form of deity or spirits. Spaceseeker, do you have a pantheon or set of belief systems for this setting? If not, I am happy to bring some ideas to the table.
Nov 22, 2023 7:00 am
spaceseeker19 says:

I encourage you to give your nascent creation a try!

I'll also point out that the net 0 will be ameliorated by your choice of race.
That 9, 9, 9, 10, 12, 15 could become an 9, 10, 10, 11, 12, 15 or a 9, 9, 9, 12, 12, 16 or a 9, 10, 11, 11, 12, 15 (with a mountain dwarf) or a 9, 9, 9, 12, 14, 15 or even a 10, 10, 10, 11, 13, 16 (if you choose a human)...all of which have net positive modifiers.
I know how it works... I just also know that the dice roller on GP hates me. 🤷

Ah well... time to dig through the PHB. That's the only book we're using, correct?
Nov 22, 2023 7:21 am
Len says:
I have submitted Kragga Moonweaver, the Half-Orc Wizard Acolyte. All features pending DM approval, and please let me know if I missed anything.

I am curious about the gods of this setting. As an acolyte, Kragga worships some form of deity or spirits. Spaceseeker, do you have a pantheon or set of belief systems for this setting? If not, I am happy to bring some ideas to the table.
Ostensibly, Keoland is part of the Greyhawk setting; there are references to that pantheon in the adventure already, but I'm open to expanding that if you have other ideas.
Nov 22, 2023 7:23 am
MaJunior says:
spaceseeker19 says:

I encourage you to give your nascent creation a try!

I'll also point out that the net 0 will be ameliorated by your choice of race.
That 9, 9, 9, 10, 12, 15 could become an 9, 10, 10, 11, 12, 15 or a 9, 9, 9, 12, 12, 16 or a 9, 10, 11, 11, 12, 15 (with a mountain dwarf) or a 9, 9, 9, 12, 14, 15 or even a 10, 10, 10, 11, 13, 16 (if you choose a human)...all of which have net positive modifiers.
I know how it works... I just also know that the dice roller on GP hates me. 🤷

Ah well... time to dig through the PHB. That's the only book we're using, correct?
That's what we originally said, yes. That was an attempt to maintain something like the AD&D feel, but just as big a reason for that is that no other books with character options had been published at that point. If you have another idea of something you want to use, I'm open to it (the original party had a Mystic, after all).
Nov 22, 2023 11:35 am
Here we go!

Yes boy!
Last edited November 22, 2023 11:37 am

Rolls

Ability Scores - (4d6h3, 4d6h3, 4d6h3, 4d6h3, 4d6h3, 4d6h3)

4d6h3 : (5321) = 10

4d6h3 : (5556) = 16

4d6h3 : (6125) = 13

4d6h3 : (3621) = 11

4d6h3 : (1356) = 14

4d6h3 : (6125) = 13

Nov 22, 2023 11:39 am
I'm thinking Halfling Rogue, to help round out the party. There's bound to be plenty of traps to disarm in an old school module.
Nov 22, 2023 12:48 pm
Submitted Halfling Rogue Folk Hero Joseph Nimblefingers.
Nov 22, 2023 3:09 pm
Would the Haunted One background from Curse of Strahd be available?
Nov 22, 2023 3:25 pm
JoshuaMabry says:
Submitted Halfling Rogue Folk Hero Joseph Nimblefingers.
Approved, and thank you! A few notes:
- this sheet doesn't have a space for XP, so consider adding that in the notes section
- what is Joseph's homeland, that is currently ruled by a tyrant? Later today I'll post a thread with "People we've met" and "Places we've seen," which will include NPCs and any world details that we've already established (mostly through character backgrounds). You're free to invent what you like or draw from something already established, but I'd like a name of the land and of the tyrant.
- Joseph's initiative modifier is +4, not 0
- Note for which two skills Joseph has expertise. If that's already on the sheet, I apologize: I couldn't find it.
- Joseph should have proficiency in one additional skill, as he gets four from the rogue class (animal handling and survival are from his background)
Nov 22, 2023 3:27 pm
@spaceseeker19 I actually wanted to work with you on his homeland. It's been a long time since I've played in Greyhawk. Probably not since 2005. I'll make those other corrections later today.
Last edited November 22, 2023 3:28 pm
Nov 22, 2023 3:39 pm
Moofsalot says:
First impulse is Gnome Warlock Urchin but I may need to sit on that for a day to see what I can come up with in terms of background.
@Moofsalot Thank you for bringing Xana back into this game. Notes:
- Xana has only 1 spell slot
- Xana knows one more 1st level warlock spell (sleep and faerie fire are bonuses from Hyrsam)
- Xana doesn't have eldritch invocations (yet)
- I'm missing something obvious; I can't tell what feature is providing Xana mage armor. Without it, her AC will be 13.
- How far away are the Northern Grasslands from Keoland? It'd be fun to know how far Xana has traveled before arriving at Hochoch.
Nov 22, 2023 3:44 pm
MaJunior says:
Would the Haunted One background from Curse of Strahd be available?
@MaJunior Sure, that's fine with me. Thanks for asking!
Nov 22, 2023 4:02 pm
CancerMan says:
Quick re-link of Aanbo, since I repurposed the original character sheet a long time ago for a different game, then subsequently deleted.
Thank you. Some notes:
- Aanbo also has the handaxe and light hammer weapon proficiencies
- you might track how many herbalism kit uses remain on the sheet somewhere. Aanbo has used it once or maybe twice; I'll confirm.
- Aanbo has a staff; it should probably be listed in his inventory
- Aanbo became a hermit after parting ways with Foonbo. How far away and how long ago was that parting?
Nov 22, 2023 4:48 pm
Of course. Not trying to unbalance the game or anything.

My plan is a young Wood Elf Druid.

One last question though... would the Circle of Spores (Tasha's Cauldron of Everything) subclass be available? If not, I'll just take Circle of the Moon when I hit level 2 but figured I'd ask ahead of time.

Edit: Ok, two last questions I guess.

Can I sell off some of my starting equipment, and if so would it be at cost, 50% of value, or something else?
Last edited November 22, 2023 7:09 pm
Nov 22, 2023 7:35 pm
MaJunior says:
Of course. Not trying to unbalance the game or anything.

My plan is a young Wood Elf Druid.

One last question though... would the Circle of Spores (Tasha's Cauldron of Everything) subclass be available?
Sure!
MaJunior says:
Can I sell off some of my starting equipment?
If you want to buy extra equipment, roll for starting money and buy what you want instead of taking equipment and selling it at a loss.
Nov 22, 2023 8:23 pm
I actually don't want to buy anything extra. I just have too much stuff. Lol
Nov 22, 2023 8:25 pm
MaJunior says:
I actually don't want to buy anything extra. I just have too much stuff. Lol
Yeah, you can sell it for half if you want to lighten your load before your character is introduced, or you can sell it within the game if that's more interesting to you.
Nov 23, 2023 1:44 am
spaceseeker19 says:
Len says:

Ostensibly, Keoland is part of the Greyhawk setting; there are references to that pantheon in the adventure already, but I'm open to expanding that if you have other ideas.
The Greyhawk pantheon sounds great, thanks. With that information, I will rework my backstory for Kragga to be acting on behalf of a non-Orcish deity. Perhaps raised by humans in a temple of Boccob. His zeal for recovering lost relics will not be confined to orcish artifacts, but to all lost magical knowledge.

Rewrite incoming.
Nov 23, 2023 2:51 am
@spaceseeker19, ok if I change up my Background, from Soldier to Mercenary Veteran (SCAG)? Basically same thing as PHB-Soldier in all respects, except the Feature is focused more on recognizing mercenary companies, who’s hired whom recently, and where to do odd-mercenary jobs in order to score a Comfortable lifestyle.

It’s a bit dubious, for a knight, except I’ve been reading up, and seems the Knights of Holy Shielding are more grounded east of us, Furyondy-Shield Lands, and they seem to wander off in between knightly campaigns and effectively wear the Mercenary hat as knight-errants, until the next shoe happens to drop. It’d help establish why Albertus picked our game area, of all places to come looking for work - he could’ve gone anywhere else, I guess, but he thinks his lost-love Evelyn is here, and that’s reason enough.

What do you think?
Last edited November 23, 2023 3:09 am
Nov 23, 2023 4:00 am
WhiteDwarf says:
@spaceseeker19, ok if I change up my Background, from Soldier to Mercenary Veteran (SCAG)? <snip>
I’ve been reading up, and seems the Knights of Holy Shielding are more grounded east of us, Furyondy-Shield Lands, and they seem to wander off in between knightly campaigns and effectively wear the Mercenary hat as knight-errants, until the next shoe happens to drop. It’d help establish why Albertus picked our game area, of all places to come looking for work - he could’ve gone anywhere else, I guess, but he thinks his lost-love Evelyn is here, and that’s reason enough.

What do you think?
I think the mercenary background is fine, and I already am invested in the motivation of trying to find Evelyn.

But I'm not running this in a by-the-book Greyhawk, because when the module was released, there was only a 32-page booklet about the setting, and this group has already created more about this little slice of the world than is in that book (the boxed set wasn't released until the year after). So you are welcome to say that the Knights of the Holy Shielding that Albertus is part of is based in the Shield Lands at the far eastern end of Furyondy on the shores of the Nyr Dyv (and on the doorstep of Iuz), that they're led by the Knight Commander, and that Albertus has traveled the length and breadth of the Flanaess in his search, finally arriving in a little secluded corner of Keoland thousands of miles to the west. But you are also welcome to modify any of those details or create your own new ones. As long as it doesn't contradict what others have already established (see the "World Book" forum thread) - and I don't see how it would - I'm fine with what you come up with for Albertus.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.