General OoC discussion

load previous
Nov 14, 2015 5:02 am
spaceseeker19 says:
Spamming? No, that's how cantrips work in D&D5! They're basically one of the few call-backs to D&D4, referencing the At-Will Powers. You're expected to use your cantrips constantly.
Yeah, that's what I meant. :-) I guess I'll just keep using it. Do I have a target left on the ground floor though? Other than Ogbar's opponent?
Nov 15, 2015 3:31 pm
Oh shit. I have one last failed death save before I'm dead dead. :(
Nov 15, 2015 3:33 pm
What happens to a readied action if the trigger doesn't occur? If the round is about to end can I jump in with a different action? How does that work? Unless I'm mistaken, the PHB doesn't address this.
Nov 15, 2015 4:05 pm
Moofsalot says:
Oh shit. I have one last failed death save before I'm dead dead. :(
Yikes! Gotta say, though, that I like how you're roleplaying it.
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
Trigger: Trapdoor opens and hostiles attempt to shoot through it.
The trap door is open; it took a character's full turn to haul it open. There's just a square hole in the ceiling, maybe 6' square.
Nov 15, 2015 5:14 pm
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
What happens to a readied action if the trigger doesn't occur? If the round is about to end can I jump in with a different action? How does that work? Unless I'm mistaken, the PHB doesn't address this.
If a trigger doesn't occur then you don't do anything that round. And a ready action only allows you to use an action, not a bonus action or a move. This is RAW, mileage may vary based on DM.

What's left downstairs with me, anything to kill? or just Durren, who tried to get in way of a very angry barbarian
Nov 15, 2015 6:04 pm
GM says:
The trap door is open; it took a character's full turn to haul it open. There's just a square hole in the ceiling, maybe 6' square.
Naatkinson says:
If a trigger doesn't occur then you don't do anything that round. And a ready action only allows you to use an action, not a bonus action or a move. This is RAW, mileage may vary based on DM.
Oh. Well must/may I change my move then, Spaceseeker?
Last edited November 15, 2015 6:05 pm
Nov 15, 2015 6:37 pm
Jabes.plays.RPG says:

Naatkinson says:
Sure! I'm happy to consider the trigger as "when/if they attack," regardless of the trap door's open status, or you can just choose to do an action without a trigger; I haven't processed your move yet.
Nov 15, 2015 6:40 pm
Naatkinson says:

What's left downstairs with me, anything to kill? or just Durren, who tried to get in way of a very angry barbarian
The only people you can see who you don't know personally are:
- the groaning guy on the ground by Aanbo
- the human warrior in the strange antiquated studded leather armor, who was just yelling in various languages
- the four guys with bows above you, half seen through the trapdoor opening in the ceiling
Nov 15, 2015 7:03 pm
spaceseeker19 says:
Jabes.plays.RPG says:

Naatkinson says:
Sure! I'm happy to consider the trigger as "when/if they attack," regardless of the trap door's open status, or you can just choose to do an action without a trigger; I haven't processed your move yet.
Well I would let it stand but I want all of the thunder going upstairs and not down where the PC's are. If Thacogygax can't do the 10ft lay-up to the trapdoor (a bonus move) then I'm having him head for the stairs instead.
Nov 15, 2015 7:51 pm
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
spaceseeker19 says:
Jabes.plays.RPG says:

Naatkinson says:
Well I would let it stand but I want all of the thunder going upstairs and not down where the PC's are. If Thacogygax can't do the 10ft lay-up to the trapdoor (a bonus move) then I'm having him head for the stairs instead.
I read it that the bonus action is triggered by casting a spell. So strictly speaking, you'd probably cast Thunderwave upwards, smashing anyone upstairs up and away from you, then float up to survey the results. Perhaps whirling like a Kung Fu fighter in a Wuxia film. If that appeals, go right ahead.
Nov 15, 2015 7:58 pm
Ok, I'll let the post stand then. Thanks!
Nov 15, 2015 7:59 pm
spaceseeker19 says:
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
spaceseeker19 says:
Jabes.plays.RPG says:

Naatkinson says:
I read it that the bonus action is triggered by casting a spell. So strictly speaking, you'd probably cast Thunderwave upwards, smashing anyone upstairs up and away from you, then float up to survey the results. Perhaps whirling like a Kung Fu fighter in a Wuxia film. If that appeals, go right ahead.
That is to say: you don't HAVE to fly up to only hit the people upstairs - Thunderwave is a cube that you can cast in any direction; you are not necessarily in the area of effect (just adjacent to it), and as the tallest of the party (by a LOT), no one on the first floor will be affected if you cast it upwards.
Nov 15, 2015 8:03 pm
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
Ok, I'll let the post stand then. Thanks!
Note that, as far as you the player knows, there is no opponent left in initiative order who has not gone yet.

So, are you:
- doing the Thunderwave now, on your initiative, and then floating up to observe, then floating down again
- doing the Thunderwave now, on your initiative, and then floating up to land upstairs
- doing the Thunderwave now, on your initiative, and then seeking cover downstairs
- reserving Thunderwave as a triggered action, to go off if an enemy appears and attacks you before the end of this round?
Nov 15, 2015 8:08 pm
The last. Thanks!

Only added a snippet of dialogue to the post.
Last edited November 15, 2015 8:11 pm
Nov 15, 2015 8:32 pm
Oh, BTW spaceseeker, I've decided that durren looks almost exactly like the guy in his picture. That is what my armor is like - does that affect my AC at all? I'm also going to make a few minor changes to my stats/characteristics to fit better with his I'm playing him; I'm going to run those by u asap.
Nov 15, 2015 10:50 pm
FYI: that's appears to be what they'd call "banded mail" in AD&D. Since that doesn't exist in D&D5, it would be scale mail (medium armor, AC 14, max 2 for DEX mod, DISADV on Stealth checks).
Nov 15, 2015 11:20 pm
As my original plan was to do a medicine check on Xana, but she's been healed, I'm now waiting to see what Durren does before acting (just informing you about the reason for my delay, as I'm usually keen to post early!)
Last edited November 15, 2015 11:20 pm
Nov 15, 2015 11:24 pm
This is, thankfully, the one time I can actually wait. I have to decide whether I'll check on Xana or rush upstairs with the barbarian (which might be suicide since I'm down to 4 HP).
Nov 16, 2015 2:42 am
OK, my modifier for DEX is 2; I have proficiency in stealth, does that make any difference? But yes, I think I'll keep the heavier armor as opposed to the studded leather
Nov 16, 2015 2:42 am
Candi, I'll get on that ASAP.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.