Chapter 3: Crow's Nest

load previous
Jul 8, 2019 8:39 pm
Elora nods, her hat bobbing slightly. "Right."
Jul 8, 2019 9:01 pm
"The choice to go back prior to opening the door existed, yet we decided to open it. We need to see this through."

Yelnar straps the Bardiche on to his back.
Jul 8, 2019 11:53 pm
Yelnar. What if we had found this prior to rescuing your mother? We would not have left that job half done, and as much as this gate calls to me, we should not leave this one unfinished either.

Your mother may very well be staying behind, and if she isn't someone's mother is. Let's take up arms and finish the task we have accepted and leave this place as safe as we are able.
Last edited July 8, 2019 11:54 pm
Jul 9, 2019 12:39 am
Ephwrath, who has been examining the leaves and flowers surrounding the doorway with great interest, stops and looks at Yelnar. "He's right lad." He says with a sigh. "We've got to clear these tunnels first. But then..." He raises his thick finger in the air, "...we're coming back to explore this wondrous place!"

As he turns to head back toward the unopened door he looks up at Krav. "You and Shiloh keep this door open, and no sneaking in there without us!" He says with a slight grin.
Last edited July 9, 2019 12:54 am
Jul 9, 2019 10:17 pm
Yelnar deflates, shooting a rueful glance at his mothe and at Willitan .

"There will always be just another thing though. Are we more than pragmatism and obligation?" he says, flicking a quick look at Verrian. "You are all capable of wonders I can’t imagine, bit I don’t think we stop enough to appreciate the good things we see" and he gives a guarded smile at Ephwrath. "At some point I MUST not just be a thrall of expedience!"

He withdraws, looks down and starts to mumble to himself "I wonder if that’s how people end up doing such things? Do you give away a piece of yourself each time?" as his fingers count to two repeatedly. "Can that ledger ever be balanced?"

He looks again at the wondrous portal with frightening intensity, contemplating its meaning...
Last edited July 9, 2019 10:20 pm
Jul 10, 2019 1:43 am
Ember steps forward and gently takes his hand.

Just think. If we can prove these tunnels are safe, and then if we can prove this portal is safe, then we can share it with the villagers, too! After all the hell they've seen outside the wards, I think we owe it to them to make sure they can see this safely. That balances in my book.

She looks at the dirt on the floor.
[ +- ] headspace
Or just stay with Krav. But we're going to move on.

Without looking up, she lets go of his hand and moves further into the tunnels with the others.

Renaya, you can come with us if you want to interpret. Or stay here and study, or go back. Whatever you prefer.

She looks up and smiles a sort of tired enthusiasm at the others.

Shall we?
Last edited July 10, 2019 1:45 am
Jul 10, 2019 2:35 pm
Renaya shakes her head, though she offers Ember a faint smile, an echo of fondness flashing and then fading away. "I will stay here and see what else I may learn of this place. Should any further dangers await you elsewhere in these tunnels, I would not be of any benefit to you."

She wiggles her fingers absently, lips pressed together in a rueful expression.

She approaches Yelnar and murmurs quietly, "It will still be here when you return. You've... grown a great deal in the last three years. I hardly recognize this thoughtful, determined person. Go, help your comrades, and we will talk more later." She lays a hand tentatively on his arm, and then steps away to watch the party depart.
Jul 10, 2019 8:18 pm
Elora can't help but watch the exchange between mother and son, feeling a spark of yearning at their relationship. Even after all this time Renaya still has so much love to give. Why weren't my own parents like that?

A second later she frowns, turning away. Of all the things which could be bothering her in their current predicament, this one seems rather menial.
Jul 10, 2019 8:50 pm
Yelnar nods at his mother, and seems to have come to a decision. He walks over to the portal, taps his foot on the other side and nods, pulls it back, then turns around and heads towards the other door, drawing his Bardiche as he goes.
Jul 22, 2019 4:10 am
The party returns to the first room where they had barred the door while seeking the traces of undead and evil, now presumably eradicated in that direction.

Before unbarring the door, several people take a careful listen, and only the sharpest of ears can make out anything at all... a slow dripping, as though of water falling from some distance onto a hard surface. Rock, perhaps.

A quick check of the door tells you that it is not locked. Verrian examines the door carefully and decides that it is not trapped in any way.
Jul 22, 2019 5:29 am
Wil grabs his blades and moves to the front.

Shall we?
Jul 22, 2019 6:03 am
"Let us finish this." Elora readies herself, positioning right behind the frontliners.
Jul 22, 2019 6:10 am
Yelnar looks fit to burst at any moment, clearly wanting to get this over and done with quickly so that he can investigate the portal. He stands ready to burst through the doorway when it is opened.
Jul 22, 2019 8:13 pm
Verrian stands wherever it makes sense and draws her rapier.
OOC:
Looks like Yelnar and Wil are in the front row?
Jul 22, 2019 8:20 pm
OOC:
Yes, that is how I thought it was too.
Jul 22, 2019 8:41 pm
As the door is opened, Yelnar and Willitan realize that there is little room to move forward from here, perhaps a 10 foot by 10 foot ledge that overlooks a deep open chamber. The ledge stands around eighty feet above the floor of this cavernous opening in the ground, with no apparent way down outside of climbing the walls of the chamber. This appears to be a natural cave, shaped as a rough, irregular sphere approximately 100 feet in diameter.

The walls, ceiling and floor are sparsely covered with some manner of cloudy crystalline mineral -- Ephwrath can readily identify it as a form of quartz -- that catches the light from your light sources and refracts it into rainbows that play faintly upon the walls. The source of the dripping sound is immediately apparent: the walls are damp with moisture, and the floor of your ledge has tiny pools of standing water that have dripped from the ceiling overhead.

From what you can see, you are the only occupants of this room. Your voices and footsteps echo strangely about the chamber, but you hear and see nothing other than yourselves. The room is fascinating and beautiful, but appears empty otherwise.
Jul 22, 2019 8:55 pm
Verrian takes a closer look at the surface of the ledge and at the surrounding cavern, looking for any additional information she can glean about this room that might not be obvious.

Rolls

What do I see... (Perception plus Canny Observer) - (1d20+10)

(19) + 10 = 29

Jul 22, 2019 8:59 pm
This is amazing. I wonder if there are any other ways in or out.

Rolls

Looks around perceptively - (1D20)

(17) = 17

Jul 22, 2019 9:02 pm
Elora racks her brain, does she have any info which might help them?

Rolls

Knowledge (Dungeoneering) - (1d20+8)

(8) + 8 = 16

load next

Thread locked