Chapter 3: Crow's Nest

load previous
Jul 22, 2019 9:12 pm
As everyone looks around in wonder and curiosity, only Verrian notices anything particularly unusual.

Near what would be approximately the center of the chamber, the Naucan woman sees the faintest blurring in the air. Something in the way the light plays off the walls glints off something nearly transparent that -- if it's real -- must be suspended in mid-air somehow.
Jul 22, 2019 9:26 pm
Frowning, Verrian moves to squat at the very furthest edge of the ledge and squints at the center of the chamber for a while. When she's sure enough that she's seeing something, she calls everyone's attention to it. "I don't know what it is, but it appears to be suspended in the air, about 40 feet below us." She points it out as she speaks. "I think it might be worth investigating. I have a grappling hook and a 50-foot rope. I could climb down, or we can lower someone else down to take a look at the object."
Jul 22, 2019 9:42 pm
I am also light to lower and may be a little harder to hit if anything jumps out.
Jul 23, 2019 12:54 am
Ember is about to volunteer when she notes the halfling can actually wear armor.

Oh, I hope this is "new knowledge" interesting and not "we're all going to die" interesting.....

She tries to look where Verrian described. Even if she can't see it, she wracks her brain to see if she can figure out what on earth could do that.

Rolls

Arcana - (1d20+5)

(10) + 5 = 15

Jul 23, 2019 1:39 am
"Does it look...hostile? I could take a look, or perhaps Ephwrath."
Jul 23, 2019 1:39 am
Not to be that guy, but it could be new knowledge AND kill us.

Jul 23, 2019 3:58 am
"Oh. Well that would be bad." Elora cusps her hands together with eyes closed, small blue tendrils appear and spin within her palms. "Sight above, as below, tells me all I need to know."
OOC:
Casting that detect magic.
Last edited July 23, 2019 4:03 am

Rolls

Arcana - (1d20+8)

(10) + 8 = 18

Jul 23, 2019 4:20 am
Elora is able to determine that the object itself is not magical, although it is surrounded by both a low level transmutation spell as well as a higher level arcane spell of no school of magic in particular. After a bit of deductive reasoning between Ember and Elora, it seems reasonable to suspect that these spells are what hold the object in mid-air.
Jul 23, 2019 4:41 am
Maybe there is something up here that releases it or lowers it somehow.
Wil looks around the ledge and the walls around it.

If we find nothing we can go back to the lowering people down plan. There may be something down there we can't see from up here.

Rolls

Looking for levers in all the wrong places. - (1D20)

(20) = 20

Jul 23, 2019 6:26 am
As Willitan searches around more carefully for anything that might give a clue as to the purpose of the room or the object suspended in its center, he splashes the water out of one of the tiny pools pockmarking the ledge you stand on. Something catches his eye as he starts to move away. He kneels to look at the spot where the water had been and finds a small set of pictograms that had been obscured in the low light and damp conditions.

They appear to depict a person wearing what appear to be robes with one hand stretched out in front of him or her, standing on what seems to correspond to the ledge you all occupy currently. In the next image, a small globe with lines radiating outward from it is partway from the person's outstretched hand to the center of the circle representing the cave. In the final image, the small globe sits at the very center of the circle, and the lines now radiate much farther outward from it.
Jul 23, 2019 4:03 pm
OOC:
For the meme!

Rolls

Sense Motive on the Squiggle - (1d20+2)

(3) + 2 = 5

Jul 23, 2019 5:13 pm
Seeing Wil examining the markings on the ledge, Verrian kneels down beside him and attempts to decipher their meaning.

Rolls

Whachoo talkin' 'bout, pictogram? - (1d20+5)

(7) + 5 = 12

Jul 23, 2019 5:15 pm
Wil shrugs.
I want to try something

Wil strides up to the edge of the ledge, raises one hand and focuses his will on the orb and summons it to him with all his will.
Last edited July 23, 2019 5:15 pm
Jul 23, 2019 6:51 pm
Verrian puzzles at the pictograms, and feels like something is right on the edge of clicking for her, but it wriggles away from her comprehension.

Wil stands at the edge and thrusts out one hand in a similar fashion to the figure in the pictogram, but either that's not the answer or his will isn't quite willful enough. Nothing happens.
Jul 23, 2019 6:59 pm
Verrian grunts in frustration, stands up, and turns to Elora. "You may have better luck that I did. You have good linguistics skills, right?"
Jul 23, 2019 7:07 pm
I am not as skilled as either of you, but I am closer to the ground to read them.

Wil laughs and takes a look.

Rolls

Picture this, a pictogram. - (1D20+1)

(10) + 1 = 11

Jul 23, 2019 7:52 pm
Elora nods. "I can try." bending on one knee she joins the examination.

Rolls

Linguistics - (1D20+4)

(12) + 4 = 16

Jul 23, 2019 8:53 pm
Yelnar takes a look at the pictographs, not really expecting to find much but wanting to expedite this in any way he can.
OOC:
Rolling a Perception, and throwing in a Craft Stonemasonry in case that would help reveal some esoteric bit of knowledge that might help others work it out.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+2)

(10) + 2 = 12

Craft Stonemasonry - (1d20+4)

(12) + 4 = 16

Jul 23, 2019 10:05 pm
Elora puzzles over the pictographs and gets a bit of inspiration. Maybe the globe with the lines radiating out is a ball of light, and the person is sending it to the object at the center of the room?
Jul 23, 2019 10:14 pm
Yelnar realises what must be done, it's so obvious. He stands in as grand a posture as he can manage at the edge of the platform, and reaches for the mysterious orb and says "Orb, you will come to me at once or suffer the consequences!"

Rolls

Intimidate the Orb! - (1d20+4)

(5) + 4 = 9

load next

Thread locked