Chapter 3: Crow's Nest

load previous
Jul 23, 2019 10:23 pm
Verrian doesn't laugh at Yelnar's attempt to command the orb's obedience, and she definitely doesn't let a snicker escape as she looks at the rest of the group. "Can anyone send a ball of light toward that orb? Fire, energy? Something that casts light?"
Jul 23, 2019 10:36 pm
"Yelnar, I'm not sure that's working...but keep it up?" Elora doesn't want to be rude or discourage Yelnar's idea, little as she thinks it helps the situation.

"I can cast light, but we'd need to attach it to something, an arrow maybe?"
Jul 23, 2019 10:47 pm
Ember shrugs, then smirks as she takes an archer’s stance. A bolt of fire shoots from her pantomimed "bow" straight at the squiggle.
Jul 24, 2019 3:22 am
Ephwrath, who has been quietly studying the room and observing the others, steps back outside. He returns a moment later with a stone about the size of his fist, and throws is directly at the sphere in the middle of the room.

Rolls

Knowledge (arcana) - (1d20+4)

(9) + 4 = 13

Knowledge (planes) - (1d20+4)

(4) + 4 = 8

Perception - (1d20+4)

(15) + 4 = 19

Knowledge (history) - (1d20+4)

(17) + 4 = 21

Jul 24, 2019 5:38 am
Just as Ephwrath throws the stone, he sees the magic bolt released from Ember’s outstretched hand. His face quickly shifts from curiosity to horror. "Oh no..." In a panicked voice, he screams "Cover your eyes! Look away! Now!" He quickly raises his arm to shield his face and attempts to turn away from the center of the room...
Last edited July 24, 2019 5:45 am

Rolls

Reflex save - (1d20)

(10) = 10

Jul 24, 2019 6:27 am
Wil didn't stay alive this long by ignoring warnings. He puts his cloak up and turns his back to the room.
OOC:
With that roll I am not sure how he stayed alive at all.
Last edited July 24, 2019 6:27 am

Rolls

Reflex save - (1D20+4)

(1) + 4 = 5

Jul 24, 2019 6:42 am
Yelnar helps and starts back at Ephwrath’s warning like an elephant afraid of a mouse.
Last edited July 24, 2019 11:29 am

Rolls

Reflex Save - (1d20+2)

(18) + 2 = 20

Jul 24, 2019 6:50 am
Unsure why Ephwrath threw a rock at a magically suspended orb in the first place, Verrian nevertheless turns away as warned.

Rolls

My eyes, my eyes - (1d20+2)

(5) + 2 = 7

Jul 24, 2019 2:58 pm
Awesome. Both "interesting"s!

Ember throws her hands up and ducks.

Rolls

Reflex - (1d20+2)

(15) + 2 = 17

Jul 24, 2019 3:02 pm
Elora swivels in place, shutting her eyes and pulling her hat over her face.

Rolls

Reflex save - (1D20+3)

(20) + 3 = 23

Jul 24, 2019 4:25 pm
The reason for Ephwrath's warning becomes clear very quickly, even for those who manage to turn away or shield their eyes. As the light emanating from Ember's magic missile touches the glassy orb at the center of the room, there's a brief moment where the glow lights up only the orb. The orb itself glows with a building intensity and then the radiance bursts out in all directions. It strikes the crystals covering the walls and floors and amplifies further, filling the room with a glow so intense that it can be sensed even through shielded eyes. There is no warmth or physical sensation, simply an explosion of light.

Willitan, Ephwrath and Verrian are not quite quick enough to cover their eyes, and the searing light overwhelms them. With their eyes open, everything they see glows with an aura so painful it forces them to close their eyes again. Even then, flashes explode behind their eyelids, dancing and swirling, but at least it's not physically painful.

Yelnar and Ember can still see, but even despite their quick reactions, they are forced to look around through squinting eyes.

Only Elora retains her normal sight.

Rolls

Blinded by the light

Jul 24, 2019 4:38 pm
Careful not to move, given her proximity to the edge of the ledge, Verrian keeps her eyes closed tightly. "Can anyone see? If so... what do you see? And can you lead those of us who can't see away from the edge?"
Jul 24, 2019 4:52 pm
78RPMLife sent a note to somebox
Jul 24, 2019 4:53 pm
Ember takes Verrian’s hand and carefully leads her back several steps, then goes back for Wilitan.

Looks like they wanted the room lit up, and that’s what the squiggle was for. It’s super bright. And little crystals I think? Dang.
Jul 24, 2019 4:54 pm
Putting her hat back on her head, Elora strains her eyes against the sudden change in brightness. "Ju-just don't move, I'll come to you." She looks over the room and checks on the crew to make sure no one is in trouble, making slow deliberate steps so as not to alarm anyone.

Rolls

Perceive - (1d20)

(14) = 14

Jul 24, 2019 4:58 pm
The bright glow is already starting to fade from the room. For those that can still see, it is now merely a pleasant warm glow.
Jul 24, 2019 6:21 pm
"Hey guys, the room behind us? It's glowing too." She starts to slowly backtrack, peering carefully ahead in case it's trouble.
Jul 24, 2019 6:58 pm
I wonder if it was how to open the other door. The one that needs light.
Jul 24, 2019 10:18 pm
Verrian sighs in frustration. "Well, if there doesn't appear to be anything else we need to do here, I guess we can get out of this cavern. I think we should probably go let the villagers know that we've rid these tunnels of the necromancer and his monsters and found a magical portal that we need to explore. But before we go through it, we might want to try to determine how long this vision issue is going to last."
Jul 25, 2019 1:42 am
I am sorry to say that I will either have to ask you to wait for a short time before entering the door, or I will have to catch up to you.

Wil takes a breath and rubs his eyes.

As you know, my pony is in the woods at the edge of town, assuming nothing has befallen him. I can't in good conscience leave an animal that depends on me to wander around carrying my gear while waiting in vain for my return.

So, when my vision returns, I have to run to the edge of town and give a whistle. He will come if he is there.
Last edited July 25, 2019 1:43 am
load next

Thread locked